Sportsnet: Chris Cuthbert joins Sportsnet

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
If he became our regular play-by-play guy... that would make me very happy. Guy is the best the in the business by a good margin IMO.

Bartlett did a fine job though. No complaints there.

Rhynne

Nov 14, 2016
I love Ferraro. You're right. I think the Gord hate stems from his cameos on Leafs Lunch. I had to change the channel. The arrogance, the absolutes. Apparently "Leaf fans, let me just say, John Tavares will not be a Leaf."

Gord is actually a good play by play caller and light years better than Romanuk who I detested listening too. Romanuk literally made hockey games less enjoyable for me to watch and that isn't easy to do! I agree that Gord off air is awful and I avoid listening to him spew his nonsense when he's not calling games. Chris Cuthbert is my favourite play by play announcer and if we get him for nationally televised leaf games that's a HUGE win and present for us

Reactions: al secord

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I consider Ferraro to be the best Colour Commentator in the business right now, so point to TSN. I’m surprised at all the Gord Miller hate here. I’m not a huge fan but he got the job done. Not incompetent like Romanuk and his voice isn’t dripping in vitriol for the Leafs like Hughson’s does. TSN games will still be fine imo.

Miller annoys a lot of people when he's doing fill in gigs on TSN radio and it carries over to his other work

The guy can't go 5 minutes without name dropping or humble bragging about someone. It's constantly "a league executive told me this about X problem on the Leafs" or somesuch

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Wonder who Cuthbert’s colour commentator will be. I hope it’s not Simpson or Millen. Sportsnet is gonna have to go outside the company again I’m sure. Wonder if they could poach Mike Johnson too.

I love Ferraro. You're right. I think the Gord hate stems from his cameos on Leafs Lunch. I had to change the channel. The arrogance, the absolutes. Apparently "Leaf fans, let me just say, John Tavares will not be a Leaf."

Miller annoys a lot of people when he's doing fill in gigs on TSN radio and it carries over to his other work

The guy can't go 5 minutes without name dropping or humble bragging about someone. It's constantly "a league executive told me this about X problem on the Leafs" or somesuch

I forgot to consider Miller’s stints on the radio. Yeah he’s a tool on Leafs Lunch so I can understand how people would have that cross over to his other work. I don’t listen to Leafs Lunch regularly but from the clips I’ve heard yeah he’s a piece of work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhynne

Rhynne

Nov 14, 2016
side note: I hope cuthbert got a huge pay rise, he’s gonna need it downgrading from ray ferraro to Greg “right there” millen

Amen to that. May the next logical step please be firing Millen into the sun or at least putting him on the next SpaceX capsule. Getting a decent colour commentator would be a great early Christmas present for us all

Reactions: Walshy7

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
TSN coverage instantly becomes unbearable.

Gord “I spoke to a gm/player/equipment manager” miller is their A talent now?

May god have mercy on us all. Miller is worse than the guy I can’t remember his name that called Babcock bobcat.

What the hell was his name?
That mans name was Paul "RIP Jeff Chychr....nvm he alive" Romanuck

Reactions: Walshy7

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
The one thing with hughson is I've never met a fanbase who likes him.

Canuck fans say he is a leafs home
Habs fan say he is a habs hater
Pens fans dont like him much

Leaf fans say he is a leaf hater/canuck lover lol

Dont get how so many different fanbases are left in confusion by one guy

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

May god have mercy on us all. Miller is worse than the guy I can’t remember his name that called Babcock bobcat.

Miller has been on their "A" team since forever. I don't know how you'd view this as a new development. Miller/Ferraro is always the team that covers the WJC Final or World Championship final. Miller is bad on radio, but is a good play by play guy, he and Cuthbert were essentially the same quality as long as they had Ray who is the best color commentator in the game.

Reactions: Monsieur Gustave H

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

It shouldn't even work as a strategy. Over recent years I've come to the conclusion that half or more of the GM's in the league, really are idiots with no idea what they are doing, and they're only in the position they're in because they're part of the old boys club. Every July 1st, multiple GM's expose themselves as clueless and desperate, and that doesn't count all the GM's who tried and failed to pull off the stupid move. It's not like these guys are playing 4D chess, and us simpleton fans can't comprehend their moves. They do simply dumb shit, all the time. This league is run by idiots.

These guys simply can't be the best of the best. It's the same 32-35 guys getting shuffled around, no matter how awful they are.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

He sucks period. That's why. One of those guys who should have been sacked years ago.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

My understand was that he's openly a Canucks fan.

I don't actually care though. I have no problem with him as a commentator.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Amazing news, please God no more Hughson. Cuthbert is the best in the biz

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Eh, I hate Miller's hockey opinions but as a PBP guy he's good at his job. I'd take Miller over Hughson any day

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Nah Canucks fans like him, "GREAT SAVE LUONGO" is a Vancouver classic

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Wonder who Cuthbert’s colour commentator will be. I hope it’s not Simpson or Millen. Sportsnet is gonna have to go outside the company again I’m sure. Wonder if they could poach Mike Johnson too.

I forgot to consider Miller’s stints on the radio. Yeah he’s a tool on Leafs Lunch so I can understand how people would have that cross over to his other work. I don’t listen to Leafs Lunch regularly but from the clips I’ve heard yeah he’s a piece of work.

Ya I generally like both Miller and Craig Button when their day jobs but both come off like asses on Leafs Lunch.

Reactions: Leafidelity

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
This is exciting news, which is not normal at a Leafs game considering Hughson is a masterclass at sucking the energy out of a broadcast

Reactions: zeke

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

My favourite was during the 12/13 lockout was him insisting the season would be cancelled almost daily, when there was no chance it was going to happen and it didn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad