Sportsnet: Chris Cuthbert joins Sportsnet

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
My favourite was during the 12/13 lockout was him insisting the season would be cancelled almost daily, when there was no chance it was going to happen and it didn't.

Ya the most annoying thing about Miller and Button is how arrogant they are when they're obviously wrong about something. For instance I remember Button saying the Leafs would have to trade Nylander to get Brandon Montour and that Arizona would be crazy to offer a package of Max Domi and Christian Dvorak for Matthews. They're so arrogant and rude and frankly wrong as often as the average fan.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Cuthbert used to do west coast games on HNIC pre 2004 lockout didn't he? Wouldn't be surprised if that continues. As much as we dislike Hughson he's probably staying on our games tbh

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
please twitter rando be correct.

side note: I hope cuthbert got a huge pay rise, he’s gonna need it downgrading from ray ferraro to Greg “right there” millen

CC will be fine. IIRC He did many games with Millen back in the CBC days.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
The one thing with hughson is I've never met a fanbase who likes him.

Canuck fans say he is a leafs home
Habs fan say he is a habs hater
Pens fans dont like him much

Leaf fans say he is a leaf hater/canuck lover lol

Dont get how so many different fanbases are left in confusion by one guy

Cansucks fans think he is a Leafs homer? Go listen to his calls on their 2011 run again.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Cansucks fans think he is a Leafs homer? Go listen to his calls on their 2011 run again.
I dont know I was on there gdt this year we played them and they were going wild on him. Saying stuff we say about him just in reverse. They seemed to think he was a huge leaf homer which i dont agree with at all. I always thought of him as a nucks homer but i was shocked to read posts saying he was a nuck hater and loved the leafs. I remember we were complaining about a penalty call that we got in which hughson to me seemed pleased. Canuck fans on the other hand were saying suck it hughson or ha must hurt hughson to have to call that. There perception on him was entirely opposite

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
If this means no more Hughson for our games I am ecstatic, but I don't wanna get my hopes up quite yet. Let him do play by play for Vancouver since he's so in love with them

Nah Canucks fans like him, "GREAT SAVE LUONGO" is a Vancouver classic

I dont know I was on there gdt this year we played them and they were going wild on him. Saying stuff we say about him just in reverse. They seemed to think he was a huge leaf homer which i dont agree with at all. I always thought of him as a nucks homer but i was shocked to read posts saying he was a nuck hater and loved the leafs. I remember we were complaining about a penalty call that we got in which hughson to me seemed pleased. Canuck fans on the other hand were saying suck it hughson or ha must hurt hughson to have to call that. There perception on him was entirely opposite

The rest are in this link. Hughson is clearly a Canucks fan.
Off Air Comments Caught On Air - HNIC 02.13.16 (Van vs Tor) - Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Reactions: 1specter

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Jonah has sources within the Rogers media, so maybe he knows something.

I would give my left nut if Cuthbert if we go from Hughson-Romanuk to Cuthbert-Miller-Bartlett

Massive upgrade.

If TSN was smart they’d give us Bowen instead of Miller, though I’m fine with Miller, but he doesn’t draw my attention at all like Cuthbert and Bowen do

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I would give my left nut if Cuthbert if we go from Hughson-Romanuk to Cuthbert-Miller-Bartlett

Massive upgrade.

If TSN was smart they’d give us Bowen instead of Miller, though I’m fine with Miller, but he doesn’t draw my attention at all like Cuthbert and Bowen do

Would love if TSN and Sportsnet could come to agreement so Bowen could get back on TV. Nothing against Bartlett or Miller as play callers but I miss the “Holy Mackinaws” on TV.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
If he becomes the Leafs PBP guy fine. If it's romanuk that's fine too. Ditto with Jim Hughson.

Honestly I've never really understood the constant belly aching this board does over the PBP guy. Outside of Joe Bowen of course, who ironically I dislike since he's a massive homer.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Wow! This is massive news! Hope he's the main Leafs and Cup Finals voice.

Didn't CC typically work with Ray? I'm torn because I enjoy Ferarro on TSN radio, but he'd complete the set over at Rogers. Johnson would also be a good candidate but he's already left SN once.

Reactions: Volcanologist

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Ya the most annoying thing about Miller and Button is how arrogant they are when they're obviously wrong about something. For instance I remember Button saying the Leafs would have to trade Nylander to get Brandon Montour and that Arizona would be crazy to offer a package of Max Domi and Christian Dvorak for Matthews. They're so arrogant and rude and frankly wrong as often as the average fan.

Sometimes brilliant people come off as "wrong" to the masses because they don't know any better. I feel that way on here.

Anyway, great move by Rogers. CC is far ahead of Hughson IMO. I would expect CC becomes the top guy within 18 months and JH is left in Vancouver for the late games.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
We’ll probably still have Bartlett for our Sportsnet regional games, but I pray that Cuthbert takes over as Sportsnet’s main play-by-play guy and does our Nationally Televised games. Will be so nice to have a HNIC Broadcast that isn’t called by someone who obviously dislikes our team.
Bartlett for me is absolutely the most annoying! His monotone voice has no emotion and makes exciting plays uneventful. Dreadful for a team like the Leafs. we need emotion, Cuthbert would be awesome, enough of these B-rated announcers. Time to get the best in the business for the #1 franchise in the league.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Finally a good bounce. Excited about this, to have him calling Leafs games on HNIC would be an incredibly refreshing thing to have happen.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Wow! This is massive news! Hope he's the main Leafs and Cup Finals voice.

Didn't CC typically work with Ray? I'm torn because I enjoy Ferarro on TSN radio, but he'd complete the set over at Rogers. Johnson would also be a good candidate but he's already left SN once.
Here is the thing. HNIC is a national broadcast game and as much as I like Bowen, I think he is too homer to be on that show.
Having said that, for some odd reason I don’t understand why the PBP for HNIC, esp for the Leafs games are lifeless and does not bring the excitement of the game. I think the fear for being tag a Leafs homer or Leafs Hater(when the other teams scored) is really stopping them from doing their job. If you watch the Monday night Football, you can see the difference between the PBP compare to HNIC.
I would just like to see the excitement that I feel from the commentators on HNIC And Leafs games for a change.

Handshot

Jan 28, 2015

To be fair to Miller though, he is where he is because he is a great play by play guy. Not because he is a great analyst or hockey mind. He's as wrong as the average fan because if you ignore his play by play, he is an average hockey fan.

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Cuthbert is imo the top play-by-play guy in the game right now, or at least near the top. This has the potential to be great news for us, if he ends up replacing Hughson as their top guy and gets our games. In any case it's a pretty big move for Canadian sports media.

Please god tell me we're getting rid of Greg Millen too :nod:
Such a f***in blow heart..

Attachments

• Polish_20200205_225843442.png
    Polish_20200205_225843442.png
    421.5 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: zeke

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
This is great news.

He's the top guy I'd want as a Leaf announcer other than maybe Joe.

Joe is a huge homer... but I like hearing some positivity when I watch a game... not millen... or fing Hughson.

Anyway huge win for SN. Hope he ends up doing Leaf games.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Maybe folks at Rogers finally had time to read up on these Leaf forums during this pandemic and saw how much Leaf fans love Hughson...:sarcasm:

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
all these years we been saying that Hughson is going to run himself right out of the broadcasts if he keeps hating on the Leafs, who incidentally are owned by Rogers-- Jim's very own employer.

How long did he think he could run the Leafs into the ground before his bosses gave him the boot???

headscratcher.

and now look lol, it comes true.

He's getting booted off the Leafs broadcasts and the proper guy is coming in. Should have been this way from day 1. Cuthbert is Bob Cole v2 and we've known it for decades. Problem is he's 62 now, but that still gives us at least another 10 good years and probably more.

I don't care where Hughson goes, he can announce the Saturday Night late game in Vancouver or he can announce the double-A darts league in southeast Kentucky, just as long as he isn't doing Leafs games anymore

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'll have a bit more excitement if they've actually confirmed that he's taking over the Leaf games. If so then it would be a huge gain. A legitimately good choice and one that doesn't feel as annoying as Hughson. Truly feels like he's suffering having to call Leaf games. I get the national broadcast thing to a degree. But the vast majority of the viewing audience for Leaf games...will be Leaf fans. There aren't that many that simply don't like the Leafs but are spending their evenings tuning in for the heck of it. You don't have to necessarily go full homer here. But a bit of leaning in that direction seems like a fair idea.

Anyways will hope for the best here. About time for Sportsnet to actually capitalize on their situation. Get some legitimately good people to cover the games.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I don’t mind Hughson and Bartlett. Bowen always bugged me — way too over the top — sounded like he was drunk half the time. But I may prefer a lower key approach than some here. It’s like they’re not sure if something is exciting or not so they need an announcer screaming his head off to let them know.

Reactions: Guy Boucher

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
I'll have a bit more excitement if they've actually confirmed that he's taking over the Leaf games. If so then it would be a huge gain. A legitimately good choice and one that doesn't feel as annoying as Hughson. Truly feels like he's suffering having to call Leaf games. I get the national broadcast thing to a degree. But the vast majority of the viewing audience for Leaf games...will be Leaf fans. There aren't that many that simply don't like the Leafs but are spending their evenings tuning in for the heck of it. You don't have to necessarily go full homer here. But a bit of leaning in that direction seems like a fair idea.

Anyways will hope for the best here. About time for Sportsnet to actually capitalize on their situation. Get some legitimately good people to cover the games.

the issue here all along was that Hughson was always taking jabs at the Leafs, sometimes subtle, other times obvious.

The problem is that Hughson is an employee of Rogers. And Rogers owns the Leafs.

So why would an employee continue to bash his employer's assets? It's like you going to work everyday and bashing your company infront of your boss - talk about asking to get fired. Employees that run around work all day complaining about everything have a target on their head and all of a sudden their employer starts to look for every little reason to dismiss them.

Jim's in a huge position, he's the successor to Bob Cole, Foster Hewitt, etc. He's been running his way out of that position all these years by bashing his employer's team. It was just a matter of time, we all saw it coming.

Oh well. Maybe that's what he was hoping for, so he can go back out west and do the late games like he wanted to?

Cuthbert seems like the complete package in terms of taking over for Cole, Hewitt, etc. Non-biased, clean cut, and can elevate our excitement during nervous moments of the game.

Jim carries a bit of a negative vibe, and he kind of reminds us of Joe Bowen in terms of homerism. He's a Leafs buzkill. Why would Rogers keep him on the Leafs broadcasts when he's a Canucks guy? He's better than a regional guy but less than a national guy. Chris is a national guy.

Cuthbert can come in and keep it down the middle, he's a step above Hughson, period.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->