Sportsnet: Chris Cuthbert joins Sportsnet

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Nah, I mean he's very good as well, but people do quick google search and see where he's from and then it becomes a thing that he's a Canucks homer when the Leafs play them.

With Cuthbert though, that's a hit for TSN.

It's not a thing because of where he lives, its a thing because its a thing.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
This guy was born to be a sports play by play guy, it's in his DNA. Love his energy.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It doesn’t make sense if he doesn’t do the main HNIC game or maybe some baseball. Why leave TSN and give up NBC for Sportsnet?

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I never got the impression that Hughson hated the Leafs. My far bigger problem was that he was calling games as if he was at a funeral. Hughson makes Joe Buck sound exciting, and that's not easy to do. Even his enthusiasm sounds fake when it's not something Canuck related. No one outside of Vancouver really likes him because of that.

Reactions: LeafSteel

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Nah, I mean he's very good as well, but people do quick google search and see where he's from and then it becomes a thing that he's a Canucks homer when the Leafs play them.

With Cuthbert though, that's a hit for TSN.

I don't know or care anything about where he is from. Given the choice between Mute and listening to him drone on in his absolutely mind-numbing monotone, I choose Mute everytime.

I usually turn on the radio to have Bowen's voice for the commentary. Lags a few seconds but worth hearing the excitement in his voice.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
I always find it weird how Hughson even sounds like he hates the Leafs more during games against the Bruins. Wouldn't he hate the Bruins more because they took out his team in the finals?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I don't know or care anything about where he is from. Given the choice between Mute and listening to him drone on in his absolutely mind-numbing monotone, I choose Mute everytime.

I usually turn on the radio to have Bowen's voice for the commentary. Lags a few seconds but worth hearing the excitement in his voice.

I mean that's fine if you don't like his voice or his style, but the idea that he's got a Canucks shirt on underneath his suit when he calls Leaf games (or any team really) I think is nonsense.

Did he like Vancouver growing up? Perhaps, but I think respect for his profession and the sport takes priority.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Miller has been on their "A" team since forever. I don't know how you'd view this as a new development. Miller/Ferraro is always the team that covers the WJC Final or World Championship final. Miller is bad on radio, but is a good play by play guy, he and Cuthbert were essentially the same quality as long as they had Ray who is the best color commentator in the game.

I agree that Ray is the best color guy in the game. It makes a hide difference for our broadcasts when we get Ray with Beyak.

Reactions: zeke

Once

Jul 16, 2010
I like Hughson for the nostalgia effect, but that’s where I draw the line. Cuthbert is by far the best relative to his peers.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I always find it weird how Hughson even sounds like he hates the Leafs more during games against the Bruins. Wouldn't he hate the Bruins more because they took out his team in the finals?
You'd think that. I recall an interview with Bob McCown and Hughson years ago where they both mocked Leafs fans for minutes on end. Just a couple of smug, arrogant, media personalities openly mocking the city where it was broadcasted to. These guys are both fortunate to not get the Howard Berger treatment.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You'd think that. I recall an interview with Bob McCown and Hughson years ago where they both mocked Leafs fans for minutes on end. Just a couple of smug, arrogant, media personalities openly mocking the city where it was broadcasted to. These guys are both fortunate to not get the Howard Berger treatment.
No one knows if he was fired or resigned, but last year on June 21, 2019 was Bob McCown's last show has host of Prime Time Sports.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/bob-mccow...wn will leave his,since its inception in 1989.

It wasn't clear if McCown, who agreed to a multi-year contract extension in December 2017, resigned or was let go. A Sportsnet spokesman said there were "no specifics to share" beyond what was in the news release.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
No one knows if he was fired or resigned, but last year on June 21, 2019 was Bob McCown's last show has host of Prime Time Sports.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/bob-mccown-rogers-fan-radio-departure-1.5183613#:~:text=Longtime sports talk radio host Bob McCown will leave his,since its inception in 1989.

I'm aware of the situation. When I said the Berger treatment I was speaking more towards being shunned. McCown isnt shunned by anybody. And hes very fortunate not to. Hes not all that smart and openly ripped on everybody every chance he got.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
he’s a Canucks homer through and through. It’s not just because of a quick google search. Listen to any game that he calls, not just against the Leafs.
One of the worst things I remember Hughson doing was being the MC on the night Vancouver retired Pavel Bure's jersey and when it was over he broadcasted the Leafs and Canucks game. For years we were told that a Hockey Night In Canada broadcaster isn't supposed to favor one team over the other, however when the Canucks choose Hughson to do something like that doesn't that go against being an impartial announcer?

Let's not forget when Hughson said these comments after a Canucks win against the Maple Leafs that happened in Vancouver during the 2017-18 season. "Few things in Vancouver hockey are better than a Saturday night win over the Toronto Maple Leafs."

Finally during the 2018-19 season listen to how Hughson sounded calling these Leafs goals compared to these Canucks goals in another game Vancouver ended up winning.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm aware of the situation. When I said the Berger treatment I was speaking more towards being shunned. McCown isnt shunned by anybody. And hes very fortunate not to. Hes not all that smart and openly ripped on everybody every chance he got.
When you said the Berger treatment I thought you meant McCown just losing his job, instead of being black balled like Berger became once The Fan 590 fired him.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Let's not forget when Hughson said these comments after a Canucks win against the Maple Leafs that happened in Vancouver during the 2017-18 season. "Few things in Vancouver hockey are better than a Saturday night win over the Toronto Maple Leafs."

It's totally true, because we're the big baddy in Canadian hockey. I don't understand why this upsets Leafs fans. It's acknowledges our significance over other Canadian franchises.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's totally true, because we're the big baddy in Canadian hockey. I don't understand why this upsets Leafs fans. It's acknowledges our significance over other Canadian franchises.
Because Jim Hughson as the #1 lead broadcaster for Hockey Night In Canada is not supposed to show any favoritism for one specific team. It was a game broadcast across Canada and it was not a local Canucks broadcast on Sportsnet Pacific. Have you ever heard him say that phrase when the Canucks defeated any other team on a Saturday night?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Because Jim Hughson as the #1 lead broadcaster for Hockey Night In Canada is not supposed to show any favoritism for one specific team.

Talking about how the Leafs are a big deal is not favoritism to the Canucks.

Have you ever heard him say that phrase when the Canucks defeated any other team on a Saturday night?

No, because they aren't big deals like we are.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
I'm pretty sure this is what turned most Leafs fans against Hughson. After this interview everyone thought he hated the Leafs.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

Hello? The current upper management of Rogers shunned him pretty much. McCown's ratings were still substantial when he got canned. Not really a fan of the guy but he definitely got blacklisted in local media.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
When you said the Berger treatment I thought you meant McCown just losing his job, instead of being black balled like Berger became once The Fan 590 fired him.

It seems crazy to compare Berger to McCown. Berger started lashing out at everyone including his own audience and got himself self-blackballed. There's no doubt that Berger had some relative at the Fan590 who got him the original gig. He was never a professional writer or sportscaster. He was always an outsider and a bit unprofessional which is why he got framed as being a "fan reporter".

McCown always rubbed elbows and broke bread with the local powerful sports people and politicians. McCown was always protected even when he'd get into a feud with another sports personality. McCown made himself very wealthy off his gigs and contacts. Berger needs to work still. What happened to McCown is that the people with power have changed and he was no longer protected.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Cuthbert is the best imo. This will make watching sportsnet so much more bearable, maybe even enjoyable though, we probably still have to deal with Millen. Can't win em all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad