CHL Players who played AHL Last Season

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
Could be a bargaining chip for the next agreement.. or.. they don't want to look like they are holding the kids back
If the CHL doesn't make some concessions on this issue now in the future they will have zero leverage the next time the agreement comes up.

What are they going to tell the NHL? No, we won't work with you and the NHL simply says OK no agreement then they'll put any in the AHL whenever they feel they're ready including signing them mid season and moving at that time.

I could see first round picked players going AHL/NHL at anytime with the nine game stipulation being extended to nine NHL games and nine AHL games or a total of eighteen AHL games before deciding on sending them back. This would renew as it currently does every season after a player is drafted.

Players selected in the second round would be eligible for the same terms after their D+1 or 18 year old season is complete.

Late birthday kids would be treated like they were D+1 second round picks and be eligible once they are drafted.

Anyone drafted in the third round or later would have the current agreement apply.

Provides a balance between more advanced kids getting the opportunity to move up sooner while still maintaining a solid mix of higher skilled JR players returning to the CHL to keep the development pipeline going.

While the CHL would see a few more early graduations it wouldn't likely be too much that it becomes unmanageable. At the same time it allows the CHL to market itself as the faster way to the NHL/OHL which hopefully draws in more talent.
Fair enough, but if it was that simple for the nhl to change the agreement, why hasn’t it happened a long time ago?

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
This is ridiculous. The WHL and QMJHL walk away laughing at the OHL if this comes to fruition. OHL has been beaten and abused the last year, enough is enough.
It is FINE....we are the best league either way.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Hamilton passed on both picks at the import draft because they have Mysak and Grushnikov. The import draft has now passed and Hamilton is now at risk of losing its top player.

If I were Steve Staios, I’d be livid that this wasn’t figured out before the import draft.
BOOHOO for him....he took a risk he has to live with it

member 71782

They currently have a signed agreement in place but with a flat cap and the need to bring in more young talent the need for change us becoming more obvious.

The talent level of the elite JR players is also growing as well on an individual basis so more flexibility in getting some of these kids to the pros sooner to speed up that development needs to evolve as well.

To grow the game requires growing the talent. If an elite talent isn't going to develop at a rate they're capable of your stalling the progression of that player and the game.

For some teams there is the financial aspect as well. After an expansion draft the NHL certainly doesn't want to face a scenario where some teams start to struggle. The excitement and financial advantages of younger, cost controlled players that have an extra year or two of AHL level experience before making the NHL provides the opportunity for these kids to have a bigger impact sooner.

It also puts these kids on an equal footing with every other kid their age when they're drafted, at least those in the first two rounds.

When you look at how many kids in the first couple of rounds actually make the NHL or AHL at that age, it's not many so the overall impact to the CHL probably won't change that much.

Without changes though, especially if this happens this year the negative impact could be huge. How many high end kids may start looking at Europe as a better opportunity after that chance became available this year?

Reactions: Ward Cornell

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Fair enough, but if it was that simple for the nhl to change the agreement, why hasn’t it happened a long time ago?

I doubt it will cover that significant number of players. Not many 18 year olds are truly ready for pro hockey against men. I’d probably suggest if you were a top 10 or 15 pick then AHL is possible BUT we also need to keep in mind that that starts their contract ticking. I don’t know how many NHL teams will want to eat a contract year with an 18 year old in the minors.

I could see many more 19 year olds being better suited for the AHL. Maybe First round picks could be eligible.

It is not in the best interest of the NHL or CHL to open the floodgates to the AHL. They will need to do it in a way where they truly are doing it for the best interest of the player and there really are only a small handful of CHL players that would benefit. If we are taking 10 CHL players per year, it wouldn’t water down the leagues it would just hurt a few individual teams.

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
I doubt it will cover that significant number of players. Not many 18 year olds are truly ready for pro hockey against men. I’d probably suggest if you were a top 10 or 15 pick then AHL is possible BUT we also need to keep in mind that that starts their contract ticking. I don’t know how many NHL teams will want to eat a contract year with an 18 year old in the minors.

I could see many more 19 year olds being better suited for the AHL. Maybe First round picks could be eligible.

It is not in the best interest of the NHL or CHL to open the floodgates to the AHL. They will need to do it in a way where they truly are doing it for the best interest of the player and there really are only a small handful of CHL players that would benefit. If we are taking 10 CHL players per year, it wouldn’t water down the leagues it would just hurt a few individual teams.
That’s true, I never thought of the contract issue.

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
The agreement hasn't been changed, a one time accommodation has been made. Not sure when the current agreement expires
Just saw this….
The National Hockey League’s current transfer agreement with the Canadian Hockey League requires all draft picks under the age of 20 to be loaned back to their major junior club unless they are on the NHL roster or have completed four full junior hockey seasons.
But that transfer agreement, which expired in 2019-20 and was extended for one year during the pandemic, is up for negotiation again.
Many inside the game wonder if change is on the horizon, now that NHL teams have gotten a taste this season of what it’s like to keep, train and develop prospects in-house, and of how their top prospects fared in the competitive AHL landscape.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020

Interesting that you brought up the contract point. I saw someone mention on Twitter today (sorry can't remember who it was) that it would be interesting to see if this will count for a year against the players entry level deal. Last year the contracts were allowed to slide because of the pandemic. That would certainly be an interesting give and take to this new rule.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Interesting that you brought up the contract point. I saw someone mention on Twitter today (sorry can't remember who it was) that it would be interesting to see if this will count for a year against the players entry level deal. Last year the contracts were allowed to slide because of the pandemic. That would certainly be an interesting give and take to this new rule.

I can’t see the NHLPA not allowing it to count towards service time. That would be a negotiation between the league and players association.

Ive also mentioned that it wouldn’t make any sense to simply allow teams to bury players either, meaning sitting an 18 year old in the AHL for 3 months and giving him 4 games so as to not reach the 10 games required to start the clock on the contract would be senseless. I’ve mentioned that if you put a player in the AHL you have to play him not sit him. There needs to be some sort of rule that protects teams from plundering Major Junior senselessly.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
I can’t see the NHLPA not allowing it to count towards service time. That would be a negotiation between the league and players association.

Ive also mentioned that it wouldn’t make any sense to simply allow teams to bury players either, meaning sitting an 18 year old in the AHL for 3 months and giving him 4 games so as to not reach the 10 games required to start the clock on the contract would be senseless. I’ve mentioned that if you put a player in the AHL you have to play him not sit him. There needs to be some sort of rule that protects teams from plundering Major Junior senselessly.
Exactly. I don't think the NHL wants that to happen either. On the playing and not sitting the player front, I think that's why they did the 20 game threshold for this rule. They don't want junior players scratched every other game when they could be playing a big role with their junior team.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Risk? They had 2 import players and the rules were changed after. Hard to say he took a risk on a blindside unless teams were notified of an upcoming change prior to the import draft.
I don't think this came out of the blue. I'm sure it has bene discussed at least at the Board of Governors level. It could be he knew it was coming but didn't want to draft a player and risk losing him for nothing (like what happened to London) or it could be he's been in discussions with Montreal and Mysak is expected to come back to Hamilton .. he had 2 points in 22 games. Laval lists 7 centres who had better point totals last season.

Otto

Cole Perfetti 32 games 9 goals 17 assists 26 points

Quinton Byfield 32 games played 8 goals 12 assists 20 points

Zade Wisdom 28 games 7 goals 11 assists 18 points

Jacob Perrault 27 games 3 goals 14 assists 17 points

Tyson Foerster 24 games 10 goals 7 assists 17 points

Jean-Luc Foudy 34 games 3 goals 11 assists 14 points

Ryan O'Rourke 33 games 1 goal 6 assists 7 points

Donovan Sebrango 31 games 0 goals 4 assists 4 points

Jan Mysak 22 games 2 goals 2 points

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I don't think this came out of the blue. I'm sure it has bene discussed at least at the Board of Governors level. It could be he knew it was coming but didn't want to draft a player and risk losing him for nothing (like what happened to London) or it could be he's been in discussions with Montreal and Mysak is expected to come back to Hamilton .. he had 2 points in 22 games. Laval lists 7 centres who had better point totals last season.
Honestly.....what bargaining strength does the CHL have in this?.......nadda!
The NHL will do what's best for the NHL and Branch and CHL will put a positive spin on it...like they should!

I suspect only a cpl players a yr from the OHL will be playing in the AHL while "underage". Not sure if any fans would notice except for those players particular team.

Otto

Last edited:

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
If that's the case why have an agreement at all?

Here's an interesting read: Redesigning the CHL-NHL Agreement – DobberProspects
Its called money! The players we are discussing are under legal binding agreements with the CHL clubs. The NHL has transfer agreements with most leagues around the world to allow the players out of their deals. It avoids legal disputes and having to re-invent the wheel every time the NHL team wants to promote a player. Its also how the CHL makes money off the NHL for their role in development, there are millions of dollars involved.

Otto

Its called money! The players we are discussing are under legal binding agreements with the CHL clubs. The NHL has transfer agreements with most leagues around the world to allow the players out of their deals. It avoids legal disputes and having to re-invent the wheel every time the NHL team wants to promote a player. Its also how the CHL makes money off the NHL for their role in development, there are millions of dollars involved.
Yes, I'm full aware thanks.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If that's the case why have an agreement at all?

Here's an interesting read: Redesigning the CHL-NHL Agreement – DobberProspects

pretty good read.

I like the 3rd option of allowing one player per NHL team every 4 years or so.

It isn’t often that a team has multiple players in the same year or two that would benefit for the early jump.

The question is would less players make the quick jump to NHL and end up in the AHL instead. I’m talking about those top 5 picks that play sparingly in their first pro season in the NHL while they practice mostly. I’d think more of those guys would end up in the AHL to start.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Funny knights fans only applaud this because it has no affect to them!!! I can agree on reworking the agreement, but only when it’s fair for all involved. I know it’s a stretch for some people but that’s the right decision. To do it this year puts the O at a disadvantage for Mem cup, puts teams at a disadvantage when plans are already in place for next season. Branch does what he wants and other than checking in with family (London) he will do exactly that!! It’s wrong, it’s not what’s best for anyone when it happens like like this. Rework the agreement when the contract is up or when it can be enacted fair for everyone.

Otto

Funny knights fans only applaud this because it has no affect to them!!! I can agree on reworking the agreement, but only when it’s fair for all involved. I know it’s a stretch for some people but that’s the right decision. To do it this year puts the O at a disadvantage for Mem cup, puts teams at a disadvantage when plans are already in place for next season. Branch does what he wants and other than checking in with family (London) he will do exactly that!! It’s wrong, it’s not what’s best for anyone when it happens like like this. Rework the agreement when the contract is up or when it can be enacted fair for everyone.

How exactly can it be "fair for everyone" in any given season when only a handful of players would actually make the jump?

Let's face it, you have made it no secret that the Spitfires are a poorly run organization and going nowhere, they don't care about the fans, will never have success with the current ownership.. is that an environment you want for Jean-Luc Foudy?

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
One thing that I don’t believe anybody’s mentioned on here is that during the last NHL season, each team had a taxi squad where there were a number players (not sure the number) who would otherwise have been playing in the AHL.

Once everything shifts back to normal, I figure there won’t be many roster spots left for underage juniors at the AHL level.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Once again you find a way to spin things!! I made no mention of an individual player. I’m against the idea as a whole for ALL involved. I hope thats clear enough.

Otto

One thing that I don’t believe anybody’s mentioned on here is that during the last NHL season, each team had a taxi squad where there were a number players (not sure the number) who would otherwise have been playing in the AHL.

Once everything shifts back to normal, I figure there won’t be many roster spots left for underage juniors at the AHL level.
Exactly, the actual number of players this affects is minimal. Those that will benefit will be deserving

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad