CHL Players who played AHL Last Season

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Going to assume there has gotta be some financial compensation for the teams losing these guys or why would the CHL ever agree to this.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
That would be a big hit for the OHL who would lose a ton of star power. Forester, Perreault, O’Rourke, Sebrango, Wisdom all fit this criteria.

There must be some sort of financial compensation. From a marketing standpoint this makes no sense for the CHL after losing most or all of a years worth of revenue.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
This is ridiculous. The WHL and QMJHL walk away laughing at the OHL if this comes to fruition. OHL has been beaten and abused the last year, enough is enough.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I have zero issues with this. I was having a conversation about this exact issue last season.

I also feel there needs to be a change in the eligibility of CHL players playing in the AHL. Obviously, we cannot simply allow it across the board but I feel there is NHL draft related benchmarks that could be used to allow certain players access tot he AHL for development.

Example:
1> As 18 year olds, players picked in the top 5 of the NHL draft
2> As 19 year olds, players pick in the top 20 of the NHL draft

***Players are required to start in all AHL games on schedule unless injured or being sat for rest in one of the back to back games.

If we are talking about what is best for the development of the top players, it is ridiculous for some of these kids to be playing OHL hockey. And some end up playing NHL when they clearly are not prepared so they stay on roster but don’t play many games.

We’d be talking about so few players in the grand scheme of things at the CHL level. The impact would be minimal at best. But, the players would develop more responsibly just like non-CHL players can at the same age.

For example, I really don’t think Byfield will benefit from playing in either Sudbury or Los Angeles this season. He seems, at least to me, better suited for an AHL role to help him adjust better tot he speed while being able to leverage his size and develop gradually.

the dog

May 16, 2014
That would be a big hit for the OHL who would lose a ton of star power. Forester, Perreault, O’Rourke, Sebrango, Wisdom all fit this criteria.

There must be some sort of financial compensation. From a marketing standpoint this makes no sense for the CHL after losing most or all of a years worth of revenue.
also jean luc foudy... zayde Wilson..jan mysak...cole perfetti

Reactions: Otto

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
-Cole Perfetti (SAG)
-Jacob Perreault (SAR)
-Quinton Byfield (SBY)
-Zayde Wisdom (KGN)
-Jean-Luc Foudy (WSR)
-Ryan O’Rourke (SSM)
-Donovan Sebrango (KIT)
-Tyson Foerster (BAR)
-Jan Mysak (HAM)

Reactions: LDN

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Hamilton passed on both picks at the import draft because they have Mysak and Grushnikov. The import draft has now passed and Hamilton is now at risk of losing its top player.

If I were Steve Staios, I’d be livid that this wasn’t figured out before the import draft.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
You know what the CHL is right?

I know exactly what the CHL is. I also know that the WHL and QMJHL had abbreviated seasons which had players staying in their leagues unlike the OHL who had their stud players playing in the AHL. Those OHL players were exposed to more games in the AHL than the W or Q players making way more OHL players eligible to go back to the AHL this coming season, as many passed the 20 game mark played in the AHL. The WHL and QMJHL are not in the same boat.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Hamilton passed on both picks at the import draft because they have Mysak and Grushnikov. The import draft has now passed and Hamilton is now at risk of losing its top player.

If I were Steve Staios, I’d be livid that this wasn’t figured out before the import draft.

Based solely on Mysak’s stat line (2 goals and no assists in 22 games) it would be fair to assume he could use another year in the OHL.

I imagine this has been floating around for awhile but we’re just hearing about it now. Mysak’s agent/the Canadiens have probably informed Staios and co. that he will likely be back.

That’s my guess. If not, and Mysak ends up in Laval, Staios has every right to be upset.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
I know exactly what the CHL is. I also know that the WHL and QMJHL had abbreviated seasons which had players staying in their leagues unlike the OHL who had their stud players playing in the AHL. Those OHL players were exposed to more games in the AHL than the W or Q players making way more OHL players eligible to go back to the AHL this coming season, as many passed the 20 game mark played in the AHL. The WHL and QMJHL are not in the same boat.
It's also a development league that gets players to the next level

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
It's also a development league that gets players to the next level

my bad, this doesn't exactly impact the London Knights so this isn't an issue for you or your club.

But you're right, teams like Sarnia, Windsor, Barrie, Saginaw, Hamilton, SSM etc. should definitely have no right to complain about losing their top player(s) when if they were in the Q or W none of this would be an issue. Especially shouldn't concern whatever team from the OHL that goes to the memorial cup that could potentially have one of these players involved. :confused:

Reactions: Teflon

Otto

my bad, this doesn't exactly impact the London Knights so this isn't an issue for you or your club.

But you're right, teams like Sarnia, Windsor, Barrie, Saginaw, Hamilton, SSM etc. should definitely have no right to complain about losing their top player(s) when if they were in the Q or W none of this would be an issue. Especially shouldn't concern whatever team from the OHL that goes to the memorial cup that could potentially have one of these players involved. :confused:
My bad for putting the best interests of the kid at heart

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
-Cole Perfetti (SAG)
-Jacob Perreault (SAR)
-Quinton Byfield (SBY)
-Zayde Wisdom (KGN)
-Jean-Luc Foudy (WSR)
-Ryan O’Rourke (SSM)
-Donovan Sebrango (KIT)
-Tyson Foerster (BAR)
-Jan Mysak (HAM)

Perfetti and Byfield were already assumed gone to the NHL so big deal there. Sebrango and Mysak should definitely be sent back. So now you're talking about Wisdom, Foudy, O'Rourke and Forester. Probably only Forester and Perrault really benefit more by playing AHL next season. I don't think this is going to effect teams quite as much as so many people think.

Reactions: Finster8 and Otto

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Perfetti and Byfield were already assumed gone to the NHL so big deal there. Sebrango and Mysak should definitely be sent back. So now you're talking about Wisdom, Foudy, O'Rourke and Forester. Probably only Forester and Perrault really benefit more by playing AHL next season. I don't think this is going to effect teams quite as much as so many people think.
Mysak likely gets sent back, the rest of them all demonstrated the ability to compete at that level, particularly later in the season once they had adjusted. I'd be surprised if NHL teams didn't take advantage of the opportunity. The NHL teams spent the money on these players last year, so it would only make sense that they continue if they feel the player is ready.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Mysak likely gets sent back, the rest of them all demonstrated the ability to compete at that level, particularly later in the season once they had adjusted. I'd be surprised if NHL teams didn't take advantage of the opportunity. The NHL teams spent the money on these players last year, so it would only make sense that they continue if they feel the player is ready.

I watched Sebrango play for the Griffins. He was fine. He could hold his own but he could really use another year in the OHL to work on his offense. The rest i'm just making educated guess on.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
I watched Sebrango play for the Griffins. He was fine. He could hold his own but he could really use another year in the OHL to work on his offense. The rest i'm just making educated guess on.
The biggest difference between the two leagues is time and space, if he can hold his own at that level, it is also the best place to improve his offensive game. Thinking and having the puck come of the stick quicker is part of the process, if there is no urgency to do this in the OHL nothing will be learned and he will still need to develop later. Don't get me wrong, these kids returning to the OHL is the best thing for the league, as a feeder to the next level its not necessarily the best thing for the player and the sport. At this stage the door was pushed open a crack and we will see if it comes flying open or slammed shut again from this experiment.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
It brings up a ton of questions and, without full detail, it's hard to answer anything. As much as the OHL is a developmental league and the goal is to get to the pros, I'd hope the Spitfires don't lose Foudy for nothing over this.

Reactions: Ferda11

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
If it’s allowed this year, then why have the rule that 19 year olds aren’t allowed to play in the American League going forward? I just can’t understand why the OHL would ever agree to this door being opened?

Reactions: Ferda11

Otto

If it’s allowed this year, then why have the rule that 19 year olds aren’t allowed to play in the American League going forward? I just can’t understand why the OHL would ever agree to this door being opened?
Could be a bargaining chip for the next agreement.. or.. they don't want to look like they are holding the kids back

member 71782

If the CHL doesn't make some concessions on this issue now in the future they will have zero leverage the next time the agreement comes up.

What are they going to tell the NHL? No, we won't work with you and the NHL simply says OK no agreement then they'll put any in the AHL whenever they feel they're ready including signing them mid season and moving at that time.

I could see first round picked players going AHL/NHL at anytime with the nine game stipulation being extended to nine NHL games and nine AHL games or a total of eighteen AHL games before deciding on sending them back. This would renew as it currently does every season after a player is drafted.

Players selected in the second round would be eligible for the same terms after their D+1 or 18 year old season is complete.

Late birthday kids would be treated like they were D+1 second round picks and be eligible once they are drafted.

Anyone drafted in the third round or later would have the current agreement apply.

Provides a balance between more advanced kids getting the opportunity to move up sooner while still maintaining a solid mix of higher skilled JR players returning to the CHL to keep the development pipeline going.

While the CHL would see a few more early graduations it wouldn't likely be too much that it becomes unmanageable. At the same time it allows the CHL to market itself as the faster way to the NHL/OHL which hopefully draws in more talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad