CHL Players who played AHL Last Season

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Guess because I find some a bit arrogant and dismissive… I’m not ok with one arm of a league losing a group of its star players. Certainly when it could effect a chance to win a title. The rules are there for a reason, Honor them as they are written. Change them when it’s fair for ALL.

Reactions: Ferda11

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Guess because I find some a bit arrogant and dismissive… I’m not ok with one arm of a league losing a group of its star players. Certainly when it could effect a chance to win a title. The rules are there for a reason, Honor them as they are written. Change them when it’s fair for ALL.

You could make the argument the other way as well though. It could be a disadvantage to the other 2 leagues to be going up in the Memorial Cup against a team with multiple players who have played a full AHL season when none of the players in their league had that opportunity.

I think what it comes down to is that the CHL is a development league. Players like Jacob Perrault, Tyson Foerster, Zayde Wisdom among a handful of other spent the full season there and showed that they are capable of playing at that level, so how does it help their development to go from playing professionally and doing pretty well back to junior and playing against maybe a couple players on each team who are on their level.

Reactions: Otto

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
So screw the kid who worked his ass off to get to the next level... talk about arrogance

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
To some degree Matt you could be right. That said, those kids are not with those players at the A level in jr, they are back with the familiar surroundings of their jr team. There are kids every year in the O that are A ready, hell some are NHL ready. The point is the rules changing mid stream change things and make it unfair. The kid who worked his ass off will get what he’s worked for the way the rules would have allowed him to when he started. There’s no change so no ones getting screwed lol. You sound like a spoiled child.

Otto

To some degree Matt you could be right. That said, those kids are not with those players at the A level in jr, they are back with the familiar surroundings of their jr team. There are kids every year in the O that are A ready, hell some are NHL ready. The point is the rules changing mid stream change things and make it unfair. The kid who worked his ass off will get what he’s worked for the way the rules would have allowed him to when he started. There’s no change so no ones getting screwed lol. You sound like a spoiled child.

Unfair for who exactly? You sure do like to call names that are more suited towards yourself. "Spoiled Child" How is it fair for a kid who has proven he is ready for the next level to force him to play a level below?

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
It’s fair for players because that’s the rules that are in place today, pretty simple logic imho.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Every team in the O and those that made plans for their teams based on current rules.

We are still in a pandemic. Nothing's been fair for over a year. Teams prepared to try and win the Memorial Cup in 2020 and had it taken away. Same thing happened in 2021. It's the reality of the situation we're in.

Tyson Foerster scored 17 points in 24 AHL games. Jacob Perreault had 17 in 27. Zayde Wisdom had 18 in 28. They were all 18 years old, so it's safe to assume they are going to improve on that. At those increased rates, they are fringe NHL players.

So what is more unfair? Telling 4 or 5 OHL teams that they're losing their guy, or holding back 4 or 5 unbelievable talents back from playing professional hockey when they have demonstrated that they're capable.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
We are still in a pandemic. Nothing's been fair for over a year. Teams prepared to try and win the Memorial Cup in 2020 and had it taken away. Same thing happened in 2021. It's the reality of the situation we're in.

Tyson Foerster scored 17 points in 24 AHL games. Jacob Perreault had 17 in 27. Zayde Wisdom had 18 in 28. They were all 18 years old, so it's safe to assume they are going to improve on that. At those increased rates, they are fringe NHL players.

So what is more unfair? Telling 4 or 5 OHL teams that they're losing their guy, or holding back 4 or 5 unbelievable talents back from playing professional hockey when they have demonstrated that they're capable.

It’s close.
None of the kids should have to go back down a league for development if their pro club believes they can/will play in the AHL.
Barrie probably expected their top player be part of one of the very top teams in the league. It is not at all fair to the Colts. No affect on London. Kitchener probably lose Sebrango. That changes things in the mid-west.

Last edited:

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
It’s close.
None of the kids should have to go back down a league for development if their pro club believes they can/will play in the AHL.
Barrie probably expected their top player be part of one of the very top teams in the league. It is not at all fair to the Colts.
No affect on London. Kitchener probably lose Sebrango. That changes things in the mid-west.

I agree that it’s not fair to the teams. But if they have to choose between doing right by the elite players or doing right by 4 or 5 teams, I think they have to choose the players.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I agree that it’s not fair to the teams. But if they have to choose between doing right by the elite players or doing right by 4 or 5 teams, I think they have to choose the players.

And it seems the league did right by the players; which I agree with. The question was what is more unfair; it’s close, imo. For Barrie to get back to the place it expected to be, they will have to part with something like 2(2, 3, 5) picks. London likely gained ground on Kitchener and maybe Windsor…like the knights need a break :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MatthewsMoustache

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Hold your horses here, “elite” players because they put up some points in an irregular season in the A??? I think you guys are making them out to be more than they are. It’s more than the number of players, like Hamilton who may have no euro option. So the O teams lose jr age high end players, who replaces them if your thinking let’s make a cup run?? Who replaces them when/if you get to a Mem cup?? Who replaces the points in 1 goal games?? Lot more to consider than the players. How about their entire jr team and that city’s fans? How about the ability to trade said players and recoup some picks. You guys are looking at this with blinders on. Far more involved than 4-5 kids and a year of their careers in the A!!

Otto

Hold your horses here, “elite” players because they put up some points in an irregular season in the A??? I think you guys are making them out to be more than they are. It’s more than the number of players, like Hamilton who may have no euro option. So the O teams lose jr age high end players, who replaces them if your thinking let’s make a cup run?? Who replaces them when/if you get to a Mem cup?? Who replaces the points in 1 goal games?? Lot more to consider than the players. How about their entire jr team and that city’s fans? How about the ability to trade said players and recoup some picks. You guys are looking at this with blinders on. Far more involved than 4-5 kids and a year of their careers in the A!!
Actually, you're making more of this than you should be. At most itll be 5 players. Some of which may stick in the NHL. In one sentence you downplay the production then you talk like the guy with the fewest points out of all of them is gone :laugh:

I wouldn't want you anywhere near my kid if as a GM you're more concerned about trading him for draft picks than you are about their development

Last edited:

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

1. Given that for “their development” they can’t play in the AHL until they’re 20, I’d say it’s pretty impressive some of the numbers that they put up. 2. I don’t think this came out of thin air for the OHL teams. We have seen over the last year the speed they work at when making these types of decisions. Mysak will be back in Hamilton and Staios knows that. 3. It’s a development league. As fans, we should be rooting for our team’s players to advance their careers. That’s what junior hockey is for. I want my team to win as much as the next person, but if player X is good enough to play at a higher level, he should have that opportunity.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Man you guys don’t understand much of what happens behind the scenes do you? No I’m not a GM, but I have a duty to my team as well as promoting players. Junior hockey is now big business, not sure if you guys missed that? Yes you promote the hell out of your players but such a small number ever play in the nhl, you take care of those with you, the fans, families, billets etc. As we learned this year 30 kids were drafted, 30! The rest of those kids this is their big time, they want to win and excel, play for championships and maybe get an extra look while playing deep into playoffs. A team may not get that chance because it was said “this won’t hurt anyone” player x still gets his shot if he’s good enough and no one has anything to bitch about.

Otto

Man you guys don’t understand much of what happens behind the scenes do you? No I’m not a GM, but I have a duty to my team as well as promoting players. Junior hockey is now big business, not sure if you guys missed that? Yes you promote the hell out of your players but such a small number ever play in the nhl, you take care of those with you, the fans, families, billets etc. As we learned this year 30 kids were drafted, 30! The rest of those kids this is their big time, they want to win and excel, play for championships and maybe get an extra look while playing deep into playoffs. A team may not get that chance because it was said “this won’t hurt anyone” player x still gets his shot if he’s good enough and no one has anything to bitch about.

We get it, you want to hold back the career and development of a player for the sake of 17 others that don't make it.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Teflon, you're arguing with Knights fans, there's no winning. No opinion but theirs will ever be right. It's like having a conversation with a brick wall. These guys would be singing a different tune if a guy like Evangelista played 20+ games.

Reactions: Teflon

Otto

Teflon, you're arguing with Knights fans, there's no winning. No opinion but theirs will ever be right. It's like having a conversation with a brick wall. These guys would be singing a different tune if a guy like Evangelista played 20+ games.
I'd be happy for him. I'm OK if the rule changes permanently and they allow 18 year olds and 19 year olds in the AHL. London stands to lose the most under that scenario.

Maybe that's the issue with Windsor & Sarnia, the attitude of not developing kids has translated into playoff futility

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
I'd be happy for him. I'm OK if the rule changes permanently and they allow 18 year olds and 19 year olds in the AHL. London stands to lose the most under that scenario.

Maybe that's the issue with Windsor & Sarnia, the attitude of not developing kids has translated into playoff futility

This isn't a permanent rule change. Get off your high horse.

Reactions: Teflon

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
The agreement is up for renewal. Anything can happen.
Trusting nhl teams to do what’s right for the kids development is laughable. Taking any talented 18 year old out of the CHL would be horrible for everyone involved. You can say you need to do right for the kid who is moving up, but if the CHL crumbles that helps no one.

Reactions: Teflon and Ferda11

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Wouldn’t matter. Next man up. Someone would be able to excel in his spot. Guess that’s the difference between the Knights and the complaining teams.

Reactions: Otto and dirty12

Otto

Trusting nhl teams to do what’s right for the kids development is laughable. Taking any talented 18 year old out of the CHL would be horrible for everyone involved. You can say you need to do right for the kid who is moving up, but if the CHL crumbles that helps no one.
18 year olds playing in the AHL would be in extreme circumstances. 19 year olds I could see it happening more frequently. But you're making it sound like every 18-19 year old would be in the AHL, which obviously isn't the case.

I suppose though if a parent club doesn't like the situation a junior team is in ... like Windsor... they may use this to their advantage if it were adopted. I guess that just puts more pressure on teams to create a stable program. Isn't that the goal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->