CHL Players who played AHL Last Season

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
They do have a vested interest, but given the track record of most teams, they don’t always know what is best for the player, nor do they really care about that player other then what he can do for them.
You can say the exact same thing about the OHL.

I agree with pretty much everything in your post. Though it might have had a different narrative had the first year of this change occurred when Hayton made the leap to the NHL because it was the best option available for his growth and development. Soo fans were not pleased with Arizona.
I think Soo fans would have taken it better had this rule been in place and Hayton played the season in the AHL. It was tough for many of us to believe that sitting in an NHL press box was better for his development than the OHL.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Zayde Wisdom has recently undergone shoulder surgery the Flyers announced today. He is out indefinetly. I would think this likely means he'll stay in the AHL so he can do his rehab with the Flyers

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Zayde Wisdom has recently undergone shoulder surgery the Flyers announced today. He is out indefinetly. I would think this likely means he'll stay in the AHL so he can do his rehab with the Flyers
My guess is he gets game action in Kingston rather than working his way back off a long-term injury playing against men. At that point might as well keep him playing with Wright for the Mem Cup run. I guess we'll see.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

I don't think it means that. Sure he might do his rehab up with the pros, but that doesn't mean he'll stay there once he's ready to play again.

I think the fact it's a shoulder surgery would mean he's more likely to be sent back. He plays a physical game so I could see them wanting him to play in Jr (on a good KGN team) and work on his offensive game and playmaking with Shane Wright, rather than banging and crashing against grown men in pro hockey with a non 100% shoulder

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
My guess is he gets game action in Kingston rather than working his way back off a long-term injury playing against men. At that point might as well keep him playing with Wright for the Mem Cup run. I guess we'll see.

I don't think it means that. Sure he might do his rehab up with the pros, but that doesn't mean he'll stay there once he's ready to play again.

I think the fact it's a shoulder surgery would mean he's more likely to be sent back. He plays a physical game so I could see them wanting him to play in Jr (on a good KGN team) and work on his offensive game and playmaking with Shane Wright, rather than banging and crashing against grown men in pro hockey with a non 100% shoulder

It really all depends on how long he is out with the injury. I think you're right though, if he comes back it likely will be with Kingston.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It really all depends on how long he is out with the injury. I think you're right though, if he comes back it likely will be with Kingston.

Yeah. Nothing like burning a contract year (and paying him AHL Salary) on a rehab stint.

I can guarantee if his injury status keeps him out until Christmas, he’ll be sent back to Junior and will play the season in Kingston when he is healthy enough to return.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I have been thinking about this potential rule change, and how it might effect the balance of power when it comes to junior leagues. Over the last few years, the USHL seems to be improving it's product, and getting more competitive with the CHL. The CHL is no longer clearly the front runner for developing junior players, and was bound to continue losing "market share" of top prospects to the USHL. But if the rule changes, and if I was a top prospect trying to decide between USHL/NCAA vs CHL, knowing there was a clear path in place where I could play AHL at 19 might tip the scales for me in my decision making. As a result, we might actually attract better talent with this rule change, versus having the league fall apart as some are suggesting.

Just wondering what others are thinking as it pertains to this.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Yeah. Nothing like burning a contract year (and paying him AHL Salary) on a rehab stint.

I can guarantee if his injury status keeps him out until Christmas, he’ll be sent back to Junior and will play the season in Kingston when he is healthy enough to return.

I forgot they'd be burning a year of his contract. He'll definitely be going down to Kingston then.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I have been thinking about this potential rule change, and how it might effect the balance of power when it comes to junior leagues. Over the last few years, the USHL seems to be improving it's product, and getting more competitive with the CHL. The CHL is no longer clearly the front runner for developing junior players, and was bound to continue losing "market share" of top prospects to the USHL. But if the rule changes, and if I was a top prospect trying to decide between USHL/NCAA vs CHL, knowing there was a clear path in place where I could play AHL at 19 might tip the scales for me in my decision making. As a result, we might actually attract better talent with this rule change, versus having the league fall apart as some are suggesting.

Could be, the league may attract some more and higher talent if it there were a possibility to play in the A at 19, increasing the incoming talent base. There would be a offset when a limited number of top end NHL prospects potentially playing in the A.

Reactions: HockeyPops

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

Contract slides unless he gets a handful of NHL games, at least as of 2020-21. From Cap Friendly:

"If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year.
  • 2020-21: The 10 GP requirement was pro-rated to 7 GP for all players"

Reactions: PuckStop75

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

Maybe? Outside of the US Development team, the USHL on the whole isn't producing more prospects than usual. Over the last five drafts they had 19 (a season which they actually got games in), 23, 25, 24, and 20 players selected. Over that same time the OHL has had 26, 31, 25, 35, 42, and 31 players selected. OHL is getting about 30 players picked and USHL is pretty consistently getting around 22 selected. The USHL has certainly made up a ton of ground compared to the early 2000's but there's only so much room to make up considering the talent pools to pick from. A CHL/NHL agreement change would probably start to chip away at those gains in the long run.

Reactions: HockeyPops

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Contract slides unless he gets a handful of NHL games, at least as of 2020-21. From Cap Friendly:

"If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year.
  • 2020-21: The 10 GP requirement was pro-rated to 7 GP for all players"

Interesting. Makes no sense to me. How a player can play pro hockey and still slide the contract is beyond me.

I’d imagine if there is a change to the CHL-NHL agreement, the NHLPA may push for the contract years for 18 and 19 year olds to count. It only makes sense to me. There needs to be a sacrifice made by the NHL teams to pull players from junior. Why a 19 year old playing AHL doesn’t effectively get the advantage of eating their first contract year and getting closer to UFA vs a 20 year old is beyond me.

what happened in the past with Import players? My understanding is if an Import player came over as a 19 year old and played AHL, his contract ate a year. Anyone confirm this?

EDIT:
Just looked at Liljegren’s contract and it had a slide in it for his 18 and 19 year old seasons. So he basically played 4 seasons with the Marlies and only ate two contract years. So nothing has changed.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Every post I have read on here has already written off these 9 players from ever playing another OHL game. Not so fast. If Jan Mysak can come back, so can some of the others.

While I don't expect Byfield, Perfetti, or Drysdale back, I wouldn't be surprised if some (or even most) of the others return. It will be very interesting to see who shows up for OHL training camp.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
NHL teams had to notify the OHL and NHL a couple of weeks ago if they were exercising the option to keep one of these kids up. There is a significant financial development fee that would be paid to the OHL team, to exercise this right.

My understanding:

Mysak - Back
O'Rourke - Back
Wisdom - Back
Foudy - Back

Perrault - Have not heard, assume he is staying with San Diego

Byfield - Not Back
Perfetti - Not back
Sebrango - Not back
Drysdale - Not back
Foerster - Not back

This could change as the season progresses.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Based on the (incomplete) preseason rosters on the OHL website, they so far corroborate the post above by @NA Hockey

Mysak - Back - listed on preseason roster
O'Rourke - Back - no roster posted yet
Wisdom - Back - listed on preseason roster
Foudy - Back - listed on preseason roster
Perrault - Have not heard, assume he is staying with San Diego - not listed on preseason roster
Byfield - Not Back - no roster posted yet
Perfetti - Not back - not listed on preseason roster
Sebrango - Not back - not listed on preseason roster
Drysdale - Not back - no roster posted yet
Foerster - Not back - no roster posted yet

Devin

Jul 25, 2018
Wishful thinking
I don’t know, the flyers know the colts are shoe ins for the mem cup, for the experience to win- they better send him back. Don’t like the idea of this new rule at the worst time when only London’s roster is not being affected.

but go figure right ? It’s been going on since Kane in 07

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
I don’t know, the flyers know the colts are shoe ins for the mem cup, for the experience to win- they better send him back. Don’t like the idea of this new rule at the worst time when only London’s roster is not being affected.

but go figure right ? It’s been going on since Kane in 07

Wow... the Knights are really in your head eh? How do you figure "only London's roster is not affected "?

Devin

Jul 25, 2018
Wow... the Knights are really in your head eh? How do you figure "only London's roster is not affected "?

No, I’m just bored and it’s nice being on here for the first time since 2013, catching up with you all.

most of you still here, but where’s phlyer phanatic?

It’s going to be a great season, would hate for you all to miss it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad