Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA and European 2018-19 Prospects Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
why are his goals so much lower than last season though?
Well he's averaging 2.72 shots per game this season and he averaged 2.88 shots per game last season, so no big difference there. His shooting percentage was 7.2% last season and is 4.6% this year, so I would say that might be a reason.

Reactions: My3Sons

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
I did the math a few days ago, but I think Smith is on a 72-game pace for 108 pts. (obviously won't play 72 due to the WJC)

And it's not like Spokane is some big offensive powerhouse where you get three assists for just putting on your skates. They have a pretty average offense.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Two unflattering rankings for Smith today compared to his defense comparables in Button and Pronmans top prospect rankings. One thing I will agree, speed needs to improve, that with size is why he dropped.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Two unflattering rankings for Smith today compared to his defense comparables in Button and Pronmans top prospect rankings. One thing I will agree, speed needs to improve, that with size is why he dropped.

Pronman has some weird rankings sometimes

why is Gusev (who turns 27 in a few months) on there? Why is Iskhalov ahead of him?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Pronman has some weird rankings sometimes

why is Gusev (who turns 27 in a few months) on there? Why is Iskhalov ahead of him?
Not sure, I fear what will work so well in the CHL may not work quite as well at the NHL level, thats why I would love that extra gear to skate the puck out of trouble. I dont agree with Boqvist having a better hockey IQ or his puck skills.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

They both had Smith ranked in the 30s which is firmly "you have a good prospect" territory. While I find these sort of rankings are usually to reactive based on the WJC*, I think we as fans perceive a bigger gap between #15 and #35 than there really is.

*I don't mind Luukkonen, but that's a bit higher than I'd have him ranked. I'm reminded of Button having Tyler Parsons as the 12th best prospect after backstopping USA to Gold.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Not sure, I fear what will work so well in the CHL may not work quite as well at the NHL level, thats why I would love that extra gear to skate the puck out of trouble. I dont agree with Boqvist having a better hockey IQ or his puck skills.

I’ve watched Smith in preseason, the games against team Russia pre WJC, the WJC and one junior game. He can skate with some speed at times but he has to really push for it and make a big effort. It’s there but it’s not natural and not easy for him. I expect he can improve it somewhat but he may never be a burner. He is shifty and smart so he will make up for it I expect.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Smith is def not a burner, and as noted above, that and his size is why he dropped, and probably why some are still skeptical. I also have questions about his ceiling.

But I think he is a very good skater despite not having that top speed. I also think he has the mental side of the game down, on both ends of the ice, and although not flashy I think the puck skills are high end as well.

Given how prolific his point production has been, plus all the intangibles, I'm not too worried about the size or speed concerns.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I can't see Pronman's list, but in regards to Button's list:

Smith is ranked 35th. But is the 6th ranked 18 year old, and the 20th ranked U-20.

I think he is the 10th d-man ranked, Sandin being the only d-man ahead of him under 19(though there are a couple guys like Dobson and Romanov who just recently turned 19). Looks like 2 of the guys ahead of him are 20, so he is the 7th ranked U-20 d-man.

Is there an argument to made that Smith should be ahead of Alexeyev or Vaakanainen, or any of them really? Ya, but all in all it's clear Button regards Smith pretty highly.

Now it would be nice if Button could put the position the players plays in his rankings. That's a clear faux pas.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Button's list is also weird

why is a guy like Dobson rated so far ahead of Ty Smith? That makes no sense to me.
My guess is his size plays a big factor. Not sure about his skating, but I bet it's pretty good. And Dobson is a very good prospect, as are all the guys on the list.

Would explanations be nice? Yeah, I'd like to see his thought process, but I think people see Smith's ranking as a slight, when it isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad