Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA and European 2018-19 Prospects Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Blackwood’s in the position of having good stats and doing well on the eye test. He seems to have the tools to eventually become a good starter, hopefully he continues on this trend.

Being a bit more agressive with his stick on breakaways is certainly something he could look to add, just to add an extra dimension. I wouldn’t expect it to come out every time though.

Two things really impress me about his game, besides the obvious size and athleticism.

First, it’s his stick position. This is one of the most basic things, but I often see goalies’ sticks either slide forward or lift off the ice when they change positions (especially when they butterfly and tuck elbows to prevent 7 hole gaps as so many do now). This is the kind of little thing that makes a massive difference to the number of 5 hole goals conceded.

Second, his technical work when he tracks the puck. Watch him move when the puck goes from low to high, or even when we’re breaking out. He doesn’t bob up out of position and transitions smoothly and efficiently from one stance to another.

The fact that Blackwood pays attention to little details like this suggest to me that he’s going to be able to maintain those great numbers he had. It’ll be interesting now that teams will have video on him and will be able to try and find any weaknesses.
nice insight

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
The issue with the pick was that he was that the Devils traded down and then picked a goaltender a) in a draft that was regarded as historically deep in skaters; b) when there wasn't an apparent need for a goaltender (vs other positions); and c) Blackwood wasn't rated as an off the charts goaltending prospect. Blackwood was picked around where he was slated to go, but given the team's other needs at the time and the difficulty most teams have had in projecting goalies, it seemed like a weird move.
it's funny how it worked out - can you imagine this team without him? we'd still be stuck w kinkaid, and the next backup would be evan cormier or cam johnson

Last edited:

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
it's funny how it worked out - can you imagine this team without him? we'd still be stuck w kinkaid, and the next backup would be evan cormier or cam johnson
Oh maybe we would have ended up signing Lehner. You never know how things will be affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad