Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA and European 2018-19 Prospects Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
This is the first time I can remember where nearly everyone has a consensus top 10 prospects.
We still have like half a year. It'll change.

-edit-
Sorry.. Misread. Thought you were talking about the draft for some stupid reason.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
eh prospects are still prospects. I still remember very clearly the days of when urbom,gelinas,larsson was going to be our defensive core for the next 10 years.

if you can't see the difference between our prospect pool now and then you aren't paying attention

Reactions: Billdo

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
if you can't see the difference between our prospect pool now and then you aren't paying attention
To be fair, they DID look promising at the time. It does seem likely that at least Smith will pan out better than Larsson, but we've all been fooled before.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
eh prospects are still prospects. I still remember very clearly the days of when urbom,gelinas,larsson was going to be our defensive core for the next 10 years.

They got a lot of hype in NJD circles, I don’t remember a lot from outside sources but except Larsson. Merrill had some decent hype and was a huge disappointment.

Some of the current crop are getting noticed beyond local circles...but, they of course might not make it. I think there’s reason to have a bit more confidence in some of these kids making it, especially if we don’t set expectations too high.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
To be fair, they DID look promising at the time. It does seem likely that at least Smith will pan out better than Larsson, but we've all been fooled before.

It's not about 'being fooled'. It's not like there's some magic formula to unlock about which prospects will do well and which won't. The ones that are more likely to do better are the ones who dominate lower leagues and that's what Smith's doing now. It doesn't mean he'll be a star, but it just means he's more likely to be one.

For comparison, this person brought up Alex Urbom - Urbom's big junior season before he became a pro he played 66 games and scored 12 goals and 21 assists on a team that scored 4.45 goals/game. Ty Smith currently has 3 goals and 41 assists for 44 points in 30 games for a team that scores 3.64 goals/game. Smith has missed 9 games and is still in on 31% of the goals the team scores - Urbom was in on 11% while missing 6 games. Urbom never should've been thought of as a some solid prospect - hype from the Devils' front office and lack of anything better in the organization is what made him so here.

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
It's not about 'being fooled'. It's not like there's some magic formula to unlock about which prospects will do well and which won't. The ones that are more likely to do better are the ones who dominate lower leagues and that's what Smith's doing now. It doesn't mean he'll be a star, but it just means he's more likely to be one.

For comparison, this person brought up Alex Urbom - Urbom's big junior season before he became a pro he played 66 games and scored 12 goals and 21 assists on a team that scored 4.45 goals/game. Ty Smith currently has 3 goals and 41 assists for 44 points in 30 games for a team that scores 3.64 goals/game. Smith has missed 9 games and is still in on 31% of the goals the team scores - Urbom was in on 11% while missing 6 games. Urbom never should've been thought of as a some solid prospect - hype from the Devils' front office and lack of anything better in the organization is what made him so here.
No, but we DID have some others that had better numbers in juniors. I mean... think Reid Boucher. Merill didn't have great numbers but there were underlying issues. Gelinas, I honestly don't remember. Larsson always played solid devensively, and everyone THOUGHT his offensive game would develop for some reason.

Ol Dirty Bstrd

Nov 25, 2007
It's also the first time in a while where we have quite a few guys with pretty high ceilings.

I wouldn’t say the ceilings are all that high outside of 2-3 guys but we have a lot of depth with a good chance at carving out an NHL career

Reactions: dk3790

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
No, but we DID have some others that had better numbers in juniors. I mean... think Reid Boucher. Merill didn't have great numbers but there were underlying issues. Gelinas, I honestly don't remember. Larsson always played solid devensively, and everyone THOUGHT his offensive game would develop for some reason.

Boucher just missed. He's an incredible scorer at the AHL level - he has 42 goals in his last 72 games there. The skating just held him back enough - 10-15 years ago he might've had a Michael Ryder sort of career.

Gelinas never quite had the numbers but he had talent - he also scored a lot of goals his rookie season in the AHL. The NHL has moved away from that sort of player - there's not a lot of teams running power plays through a defenseman with a huge shot. Montreal, Nashville, and a couple others still do.

Everyone thought Larsson would develop offensively because he was drafted 4th overall and because of all of those goals and assists he had as a 17 year old in the SHL. Now that is a case of 'being fooled', I think, and I certainly was there.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Honestly if Boucher was an elite skater he'd be Phil Kessel. That shot is first class, and he's a sneaky good play maker too.

Too bad he never found that extra step.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Honestly if Boucher was an elite skater he'd be Phil Kessel. That shot is first class, and he's a sneaky good play maker too.

Too bad he never found that extra step.

That’s a spot on comparison. A very poor skating Phil Kessel.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

The current group have more of a chance at having a shot than we were accustomed to is all I'm saying.

Last edited:
Reactions: MichaelJ

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
gelinas didn't have talent. he lacked footspeed and a hockey brain, which, if he had either one of (along with his shot), he'd be in the NHL

Gelinas's speed was fine - he was good going forward and wasn't terrible going backwards. Speed and a shot alone doesn't keep a player in the NHL.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Gelinas's speed was fine - he was good going forward and wasn't terrible going backwards. Speed and a shot alone doesn't keep a player in the NHL.
alright i take it back - it was hockey IQ. but had he HAD above average mobility, along with the shot, i guarantee you he would've found a niche on the PP, or at least as a 6/7 D on some team. the guy couldn't even stick in the AHL

Reactions: Darkauron

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
In slightly related news, I got a game-used Boucher stick recently. The curve on it was a bit ridiculous and I could not use it--STX Stallion.

One prospect that's not often talked about is Xavier Bernard: Xavier Bernard at eliteprospects.com

He's a 0.5 PPG d-man in the Q. He's 19 and he has some size. He was just traded so he's got to adjust to a new team, but I remember hearing his name a bit during the prospect camp.

Reactions: nugg and MichaelJ

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
alright i take it back - it was hockey IQ. but had he HAD above average mobility, along with the shot, i guarantee you he would've found a niche on the PP, or at least as a 6/7 D on some team. the guy couldn't even stick in the AHL
All about the smarts, or lack of it, in regards to Gelinas. Plenty talented.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
In slightly related news, I got a game-used Boucher stick recently. The curve on it was a bit ridiculous and I could not use it--STX Stallion.

One prospect that's not often talked about is Xavier Bernard: Xavier Bernard at eliteprospects.com

He's a 0.5 PPG d-man in the Q. He's 19 and he has some size. He was just traded so he's got to adjust to a new team, but I remember hearing his name a bit during the prospect camp.

I’d expect him to turn out as a steady bottom 4 type, maybe good to pair with someone like Walsh

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

Oh, you mean our Lord and Xavier? Yeah he's going to be a problem on the back end for other teams.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Saw Walsh play against Princeton last night. A couple of questionable puck decisions, but overall looked decent. He did not really stick out one way or the other.

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->