Chicago @ Ottawa | Hossa comes home for 1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
I was all smiles throughout the game. It was very entertaining!

Seeing Hossa get his 1000th point at home against us was magical.

So far so good this season... the Sens are watchable again!

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
This should be bolded and pinned........Karlsson is not a golf or tennis player. How have the Sens management supported him to succeed? By giving him derp as a defensive partner? The guy is good but seriously do you expect him to cook your hot dog at intermission too? What has he got to work with?

Blaming EKs partners for his mistakes/weaknesses is just a refusal to accept reality.

The right question is, name one of the top D in the NHL that is worse than EK in the defensive zone ATM?

Playing with EK isn't easy and in the D-Zone it can become almost impossible.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Stone-Lazar duo had the same number of takeaways (4) as all other senators combined even though they played like 12 minutes each.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Absolutely! and I love that about his game but honestly are we really helping him to succeed without a defensive partner that compliments him ? I'm not saying that Kuba was a world beater but he worked with EK and covered him and let EK to what he does best. Right now EK doesn't have that guy....so I'm hoping that Methot can come back quick...or we give the guy a break in that he doesn't have a partner that fits and enhances his game.

I just want the Sens to succeed while we have generational talent in EK not waste it away finding a linewife for him......please don't shoot me ok?

What you are really hoping for is that Methot can somehow make up for EKs weaknesses and IMO that is expecting too much.

While EK may be a generational talent offensively, defensively is a completely different matter.

This discussion about EK is taking on a very familiar refrain.

In the many Spezza threads the supporters claimed, Spezza just needs better wingers to maximize his offensive skills and take the pressure off his defensive shortcomings.

Now it seems we can replace Spezza's name with EK's.

The solution is simple, EK just has to be better defensively since his problems so far this season have little to do with his partners.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I thought EK had a great third period, which means its possible for him to play good D. He just needs to be consistent. I am hoping he's able to find that and soon.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Stone-Lazar duo had the same number of takeaways (4) as all other senators combined even though they played like 12 minutes each.

Best line on the ice for either team last night for either team and I hope you aren't downplaying the role Hoffman played on that line.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Blaming EKs partners for his mistakes/weaknesses is just a refusal to accept reality.

The right question is, name one of the top D in the NHL that is worse than EK in the defensive zone ATM?

Playing with EK isn't easy and in the D-Zone it can become almost impossible.

Yeah, they should give Kuba and Methot a medal for having to do it. Cowen and Phillips too if they keep being stuck with him.:shakehead

I get that some people refuse to admit his weaknesses, as an example, on the Versteeg play, 99% of other D wouldn't have even gotten back on time to make that mistake as he would have already had the breakaway. Also, wth was Smith doing on that play.

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
Would have been nice to sneak off with the extra point, but 2 games in the early season were the team held up reasonably well against one of the best teams in the league. No expectations on the season, but things are looking good for the future. Team is just gonna get better and better :)

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
He was pretty pad on the PP during preseason

I wouldn't say bad. I wouldn't say good either. They used him on the point. He's done that in the past in the AHL. I'd try him again on the PP but in a different spot.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
last nite ☺☻☺

I got to watch most of last nites game against the Blackhawks.......

Ottawa played a very good team to a tie in regulation, team worked hard, yes players made mistakes happens to all teams every game.

I liked the effort the Sens showed love when a team works hard, makes me proud to be a fan.............................

I am beginning to think this team will be better than the experts have said this season....

I hope they can keep it up all season long, and make us proud to be fans of the Sens......................

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
I hate all you guys. If we drive Karlsson away because you get the media busting his balls constantly, I don't know how I could associate myself with this fanbase. All this neckbeard ranting about him is all you guys can do.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I hate all you guys. If we drive Karlsson away because you get the media busting his balls constantly, I don't know how I could associate myself with this fanbase. All this neckbeard ranting about him is all you guys can do.

honestly if we on this board can get karlsson traded i think we deserve a lot of credit... i wouldnt even be mad, i would be impressed.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Yeah, they should give Kuba and Methot a medal for having to do it. Cowen and Phillips too if they keep being stuck with him.:shakehead

I get that some people refuse to admit his weaknesses, as an example, on the Versteeg play, 99% of other D wouldn't have even gotten back on time to make that mistake as he would have already had the breakaway. Also, wth was Smith doing on that play.

It seems you might be one of those people that refuse to admit his weaknesses as you attempt to defend them by countering with his strengths.

It also seems that what he did in the past is the basis for your evaluation of his current play.

I haven't read in this thread any suggestions that EK doesn't skate well or is an offensive liability.

Fact is EK hasn't been good defensively (last night being his worst game) and his struggles cannot be blamed on his partner.

Any suggestions his problems can be solved by a "better" partner are just ignoring the current reality IMO.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

well they had him playing his strong side... with karlsson on his own strong side.. pretty much eliminating hoffmans one timer, which has always been his biggest threat on the powerplay. and then karlsson would walk the line towards hoffman, pretty much squeezing hoffman out of the powerplay.

bigsby

Jul 11, 2014
Ottawa

At the very least, he would shoot the puck. There was way too much passing between the point men last night. At some point, they should have realized that the path wasn't there and to cycle down low, but they just kept playing hot potato on a 5v4

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
It seems you might be one of those people that refuse to admit his weaknesses as you attempt to defend them by countering with his strengths.

It also seems that what he did in the past is the basis for your evaluation of his current play.

I haven't read in this thread any suggestions that EK doesn't skate well or is an offensive liability.

Fact is EK hasn't been good defensively (last night being his worst game) and his struggles cannot be blamed on his partner.

Any suggestions his problems can be solved by a "better" partner are just ignoring the current reality IMO.

He hasn't been terrible, just meh. He can be much better, regardless of partner, but he does have a habit of making terrible defensive zone reads for someone with as much hockey IQ as this guy has. Still as much as we harp on Karlsson, most Dmen are never half as good as he is now in their prime, and we are still a few years away from his best years.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Karlsson is easily my favorite to watch out there, but criticism is part of being a pro athlete. If he can't take the heat in this market, he wouldn't be able to handle over half the markets in this league.

Not that I approve of the criticism, because I don't. I don't think we should be making any real judgements against anyone on the team til around Xmas when we have a better gauge of what we have.

But yeah, people are going to do and say whatever they want no matter what. Just got to roll with it.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005

Its odd to see all the gleeful piling on any time he makes an error or has a game that is not up to standard.

Anyway I wish Maclean wouldn't play him quite so much, last night he played 30.56.I know his conditioning is great and the rest of the D is not the best but it cant be good to overplay him every game.

I remember John Paddock overplaying our top line who were unbeatable until the all Star Game and then fizzled.

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
We need a big shot from the back on the pp or someone who can distribute the puck like what Gonchar and Kuba were,
so we can open it up a bit more for karlsson on the pp

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I agree with you. We all know EK's defence isn't all-world, but he can still defend very effectively given his unique skill set. The issue is, we are not putting him in a position to succeed without at least a #3 D (methot or equivalent), or better, a true #2 D. Like you said, even a Kuba-level defenceman would be good enough. Phillips, although he is having a superb start to the season, nor Cowen, are set for the job.

I realize we likely won't be acquiring a true #2 any time soon, so for the short term we need Methot back. Long term, I'm hoping Cowen can really take it to the next level in the next couple of years, or a kid in the pipeline eventually steps up.

Too bad about the Versteeg goal. He actually made a great defensive play coming back, then did the stick wave thing.

Why do people hope Cowen can be that player. He still blew two D to D passes he will never ever be able to be a top 4 D man. He simply has no hockey sense or puck skills HE IS BAD. Just like Wiercioch will never play in this league consistently because he is so soft and slow HE IS BAD.

I don't get on the coach much but he blew it tonight, did not ride the hot line EVER. He left the old slow uninspired line out there too much and on the third goal it was the rookie lines turn and he skipped over them. Why not play them? All they did was generate scoring chances draw penalties and get offensive zone time. I am so tired of Smith and Neil. Zack Smith floats everywhere he is way too comfortable for a borderline player he stopped moving his feet a long time ago, such uninspired play.

The second goal good grief as bad as Karlsson looked (it was ugly) getting walked around if one of the forwards came back and forced Versteeg to make a play then it doesn't happen.

Yes Chicago is a good team and the first line and the rookie line played great however the mistakes made and the lazy plays by so many cost this team two points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad