Chicago @ Ottawa | Hossa comes home for 1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
Upgrayedd said:
Originally Posted by Upgrayedd View Post
Very strange and almost every one had a virtually brand new jersey, same with the local LA fans....Mika nailed it many in Ottawa pride themselves on not supporting the city and team that supports them combine that with the large contingent of bandwagoners in the city...personally not surprised..

its true and i never understood that point of pride.. its like they dont want to conform to societies rules, its like new age hipster mentality.

It's not just in Ottawa. There is a HUGE problem in Nashville (and other more recently established franchises, i.e. Tampa, Florida, Minny) where they are facing the same situation. They've been battling a "Leaf Invasion" like vortex. True I get that with the original six teams you are going to find a more radicalized following but with Chicago's recent success this young hipster crowd seem to find it more enticing to bandwagon hop then stick with the native born team?? Perhaps we have ourselves a little inferiority complex going on with these people? I guess this trend we will continue to grow. Besides the Habs and Leafs contingents, now you gotta contend with other factions. Just wait til LA, comes to town? Have fun with that Ottawa! :shakehead

As for the game, I'm not at all mad. The boys pushed Chicago to OT. Almost pulled it off!

GO SENS GO!!!

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
^On what are you basing that on?

I think a lot of those southern franchises count snowbirds as one of their key demographics. Take Arizona's ill-conceived "Canada Day" featuring Bachman Turner Overdrive as an example. Think that was last year. Many fans of original six teams settle thereabouts as well I imagine.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
There was no need for that line change either. Maclean had MacArthur and Turris on and he quickly subbed them out for the Smith line.

And they promptly scored.

He has to give up on those guys being our "defensive line". Neil should be a spot duty guy only. Smith is close to useless and Legwand is still figuring out this team.

Turris had been on for the previous 2 shifts because of an icing. Probably wanted to give him a rest. Legwand is one of our better faceoff guys, and won the draw, but failed to do anything with it. The actual goal was a great roll off Cowen by Toews combined with tremendous puck luck having the shot hit them and drop dead right in the crease behind Anderson. Cowen could have done a better job boxing out Toews, but tbh, it was a great move.

The line didn't really give up a great chance per say, even though Chi did move the puck well on the sequence. Sometimes the bounces just happen that way, I don't know if it would have been any different with Turris' line out there as I can't really point to a poor play that caused a breakdown.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Saw this on Senschirp, thought this seemed like the best place to post it...

Senschirp said:
-Funny story about Hossa. In the summer of 2005, Marian Hossa and then General Manager John Muckler were locked in a contentious contract negotiation. Hossa wanted to get paid and Muckler was trying to keep the cost down. Hossa was coming off a 36 goal, 82 point season and knew he deserved a big contract. At the same time, Muckler had held conversations with the Atlanta Thrashers about two of their RFAs to be- Ilya Kovalchuk and Dany Heatley. Those of you that have followed SensChirp since the Chara03 days will remember me suggesting as much in the Sportsnet forums. Muckler was seriously considering dealing Hossa all along. In late August, Ottawa and Hossa would find common ground on a deal that paid Hossa $18 million over three seasons. Apparently, or so I’ve been told, in the minutes after signing that contract, Hossa said something along the lines of, “If I was North American, you wouldn’t have thought twice about signing me to that contract.” Muckler was furious and after Hossa left said something to the effect, “We’re trading that son of a *****”. Hossa was dealt hours later.

If that's why Hossa was dealt... Idk what to say.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's not just in Ottawa. There is a HUGE problem in Nashville (and other more recently established franchises, i.e. Tampa, Florida, Minny) where they are facing the same situation. They've been battling a "Leaf Invasion" like vortex. True I get that with the original six teams you are going to find a more radicalized following but with Chicago's recent success this young hipster crowd seem to find it more enticing to bandwagon hop then stick with the native born team?? Perhaps we have ourselves a little inferiority complex going on with these people? I guess this trend we will continue to grow. Besides the Habs and Leafs contingents, now you gotta contend with other factions. Just wait til LA, comes to town? Have fun with that Ottawa! :shakehead

As for the game, I'm not at all mad. The boys pushed Chicago to OT. Almost pulled it off!

GO SENS GO!!!

You didn't know?

If you support a winner, that means you're a winner, too! And by wearing the jersey of the week, you can show everyone around you what a winner you are and be the subject of their adoration and envy! Automatic cool crowd access.

For whatever reason, that's how a lot of people think these days. Why bother putting in the work to become a somebody based on your own merits, when you can ride someone elses coattails? :dunno:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
If only we had kept Hossa. :( We probably would have had Hossa and Chara long term.

Imagine if you can in 2007......

Spezza-Alfredsson
Fisher-Hossa

Chara-Redden
Phillips-Corvo

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I believe Shaw had a very large contingent in the stands yesterday, but usually there are quite a bit of Chicago fans in the stands regardless. Could be because they were an original six team.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Saw this on Senschirp, thought this seemed like the best place to post it...

i wouldnt be surprised.. healtey over hossa. redden over chara.. lee over kopitar... and all three have made us look like the dumbest franchise ever, ever since. hossa was probably right, if he was north american muckler would have probably given him 6 years..

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
If only we had kept Hossa. :( We probably would have had Hossa and Chara long term.

Imagine if you can in 2007......

Spezza-Alfredsson
Fisher-Hossa

Chara-Redden
Phillips-Corvo

One of these is not like the rest... :help:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
i wouldnt be surprised.. healtey over hossa. redden over chara.. lee over kopitar... and all three have made us look like the dumbest franchise ever, ever since. hossa was probably right, if he was north american muckler would have probably given him 6 years..

Well, to be fair, choosing Redden and Heatley only look bad because they rapidly regressed due to injury. Heatley was easily on par with Hossa at the time, and most saw it as a good trade for both teams. Redden over Chara was a much tougher call at the time; the league appeared to be changing making the big mans game less effective. Buffalo with its speedy puckmovers seemed to be the model to follow.

Lee over Kopitar, well who could resist that babyfaced albino... I mean come on, you'd have to be some kind of monster not to want to pinch those cheeks. Muckler always was a grampa at heart in those sweater vests.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Its unexplainable how the coach didn't see what was going on right in front of him last night.

Coach likes to reward his veteran players. He is scared that if his young players play well then, he will have to make a tough decision on one of his veterans.

Oct 10, 2010
I wonder if he would like to comeback where it all started? ( If such a situation presented itself)

I guess we'll never know.

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands

To be fair, the Heatley-Hossa deal saved us something like $4 million off of the cap given that Heatley was cheaper and we threw deVries in the deal. That was back when we were a cap team, so that was significant.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Coach likes to reward his veteran players. He is scared that if his young players play well then, he will have to make a tough decision on one of his veterans.

Is there any coach out there who prefers kids over veterans though?

Seems with such little job security in the coaching ranks, virtually all coaches stick with the vets because they're a known quantity and more consistent (generally speaking).

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I'm glad Hossa got his 1000th point here, it's fitting. However, I would have preferred we had won the game. :p:

I still think what Muckler did to him was bush league, but what can you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino