Chicago @ Ottawa | Hossa comes home for 1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I think the biggest issue why we have so many turnovers and get hemmed in our zone is passing. This team overall is not a very good passing team. We have some good players but then guys like Neil, Phillips, Cowen, etc. make terrible passes.

Just take a look at a team like CHI. The passing by the D's and the F's is immaculate. That's why they keep possession.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Its unexplainable how the coach didn't see what was going on right in front of him last night.

So much PP and PK time, tough for the guys not on special teams to get enough ice time.

Hard to throw a guy out on the PP when he doesn't practice with the regular group too, but going forward it makes NO sense to keep Legwand out there on the PP.

Was really happy to see how well that kid line played. Some great shifts were against top 2 lines of Chicago too. Could be a great 3rd line (or a line 2b).

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Didn't watch the preseason but from what I remember hearing he wasn't good. He looked great last game I saw of his and tonight he was definitely one of the better ones. Hope this is a trend, one of my fave sens.

Ceci is also pretty damn awesome...kid went to my school (a year younger) but it was great to see him play in person for the first time.

You went to st petes too?

In my grade 12 year book I see ceci in grade 7 lol such a nerdy looking kid.

Jonathan81

Sep 12, 2011
Blaming EKs partners for his mistakes/weaknesses is just a refusal to accept reality.

The right question is, name one of the top D in the NHL that is worse than EK in the defensive zone ATM?

Playing with EK isn't easy and in the D-Zone it can become almost impossible.

Well as someone who live in Quebec is see my fare share of MTl games and Subban is at least as bad as Karlsson in his own zone

Sens92

Jan 21, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Ceci looked great again last night. Just steady, does all the right things and doesn't panic. I really hope he continues to develop his offensive game though.

Funny story, a friend of mine dated him for a while and when we discussed how well he was playing she said "It's because he's dumb. He's just not great at thinking let alone overthinking." :laugh: That would explain why he's been described as so "coachable"

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ceci looked great again last night. Just steady, does all the right things and doesn't panic. I really hope he continues to develop his offensive game though.

Funny story, a friend of mine dated him for a while and when we discussed how well he was playing she said "It's because he's dumb. He's just not great at thinking let alone overthinking." :laugh: That would explain why he's been described as so "coachable"

pretty popular opinion about most hockey players especially the high picks that were locks for the NHL for a long time.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
When is Bobby Ryan gonna show up for more than 1 period in a game? He's been meh in all but about 3 total periods. Very underwhelming offensively. Some good defensive plays and bad defensive plays.

Ill take 4.3mil MacArthur over 7mil Ryan any day.

bonehead

May 27, 2002
Visit site
Why do people hope Cowen can be that player. He still blew two D to D passes he will never ever be able to be a top 4 D man. He simply has no hockey sense or puck skills HE IS BAD. Just like Wiercioch will never play in this league consistently because he is so soft and slow HE IS BAD.

I don't get on the coach much but he blew it tonight, did not ride the hot line EVER. He left the old slow uninspired line out there too much and on the third goal it was the rookie lines turn and he skipped over them. Why not play them? All they did was generate scoring chances draw penalties and get offensive zone time. I am so tired of Smith and Neil. Zack Smith floats everywhere he is way too comfortable for a borderline player he stopped moving his feet a long time ago, such uninspired play.

The second goal good grief as bad as Karlsson looked (it was ugly) getting walked around if one of the forwards came back and forced Versteeg to make a play then it doesn't happen.

Yes Chicago is a good team and the first line and the rookie line played great however the mistakes made and the lazy plays by so many cost this team two points.

This.

To show had bad Cowen and Wiercioch have been, Boro, a solid 5/6, has easily been twice as as good as either of 2 & 46. What does that make them?
To show how bad Smith and Neil have been, Lazar, who may be sent back to junior shortly, has easily been twice as good as either of 15 & 25. What does that make them?

The sooner we limit the playing time of these slow, treadmill guys (I'd include Greening and Legwand here), the better the team will develop.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It seems you might be one of those people that refuse to admit his weaknesses as you attempt to defend them by countering with his strengths

It also seems that what he did in the past is the basis for your evaluation of his current play.

I haven't read in this thread any suggestions that EK doesn't skate well or is an offensive liability.

Fact is EK hasn't been good defensively (last night being his worst game) and his struggles cannot be blamed on his partner.

Any suggestions his problems can be solved by a "better" partner are just ignoring the current reality IMO.

What a load. You said he's impossible to play with in his own end and my response was that he does some great thing as well as some bad (currently btw). In many aspects, he makes it very easy for his partner with his efficent breakouts, and allows them to focus on the defensive aspects. You have to look at the full equation instead of focusing on one side. He's been far from perfect, but I imagine there aren't to many players in the league who wouldn't be thrilled to play with him.

Wrt a better partner, well for one, it would give us the depth to not be playing him 30 mins a night, which should help quite a bit, not to mention take some of the burden of him when he is on the ice.

He makes his defensive gaffs, and his great defensive plays. Right now, they aren't quite evening out, but it's nine games, in which he's had a rotating cast of defensive partners, be it Phillips, Cowen or stints with Boro and Wiercioch. Stability is what's needed; it won't fix issues like what happened on the Versteeg goal, but a consistant partner that he has chemistry will help him positionally as they will know one anothers tendencies and anticipate how the play will develop better.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
When is Bobby Ryan gonna show up for more than 1 period in a game? He's been meh in all but about 3 total periods. Very underwhelming offensively. Some good defensive plays and bad defensive plays.

Ill take 4.3mil MacArthur over 7mil Ryan any day.

Good thing you don't have to choose...

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
It is well known that Ryan is a streaky player. You guys just have to accept that.

He will figure it out or at least i hope he does.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It is well known that Ryan is a streaky player. You guys just have to accept that.

He will figure it out or at least i hope he does.

He is a shooter and o zone player. He wont look good until the puck is on his stick and when it is he is by far the most dangerous player on the team.

I don't know why anyone expects anything else from him he has never been a player that drives possession or creates on his own.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Great battle from the fellas last night, capitalize on one or two more of those many powerplays and this game was in the bag. My oh my how quickly some forget this team was pegged to battle for that 1st overall pick....don't see much of that talk lately. I will take the pt in a game we outplayed one of the 2-3 best teams in the league for the most part.

Don't know really how good this team can be but i do know they will not finish right at or really near the bottom, way too much effort and hard work going on out there for that. Love watching these Sens :)

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
This.

To show had bad Cowen and Wiercioch have been, Boro, a solid 5/6, has easily been twice as as good as either of 2 & 46. What does that make them?
To show how bad Smith and Neil have been, Lazar, who may be sent back to junior shortly, has easily been twice as good as either of 15 & 25. What does that make them?

The sooner we limit the playing time of these slow, treadmill guys (I'd include Greening and Legwand here), the better the team will develop.

Boro plays on the bottom pairing thus playing against lesser competition

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
We're complaining on a night that Bobby scored? Really?

Not only that but he was robbed by Darling in the 2nd.

The release on the Bickell turnover is the type of shot only Bobby can take.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
I'm still dumbfounded that the Smith line was sent out in the defensive zone against Toews and Hossa. ****ing Toews and Hossa!!! Of course they were going to score

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Boro plays on the bottom pairing thus playing against lesser competition

Lol common man... Grasping at straws

Boro's gap control and first pass is great, Mcleans just not playing the younger players until in his eyes they prove they can be consistent and earn the ice time.

I think in game if a guy is playing well he needs to read and adjust but I don't mind the premise. Keeps the young guys on their toes, as a young player in the league the biggest battle is to be consistent.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I'm still dumbfounded that the Smith line was sent out in the defensive zone against Toews and Hossa. ****ing Toews and Hossa!!! Of course they were going to score

There was no need for that line change either. Maclean had MacArthur and Turris on and he quickly subbed them out for the Smith line.

And they promptly scored.

He has to give up on those guys being our "defensive line". Neil should be a spot duty guy only. Smith is close to useless and Legwand is still figuring out this team.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Toews was so good last night, what an incredible player. He is the best defensive forward in the league by far, his back check and pk were nothing short of incredible. As a leader how can any player make any excuse for not working hard when your best player and captain leads in that category night in night out. I think he is a big reason why Karlsson looked so ordinary last night.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
There was no need for that line change either. Maclean had MacArthur and Turris on and he quickly subbed them out for the Smith line.

And they promptly scored.

He has to give up on those guys being our "defensive line". Neil should be a spot duty guy only. Smith is close to useless and Legwand is still figuring out this team.

Couldn't agree more, no player needs a seat in the press box more than Smith. Condra should be played in his spot, he has been good every game he has got into. Smith needs to figure out his role, atleast Neil knows what he is on the team for. Smith just floats, doesn't move his feet a grinder that plays an unemotional game is useless. I once had a coach that said you're either a rusher or a crusher if not you will be an usher. Smith certainly isn't a rusher, if he doesn't start crushing he may need a better view of what one looks like.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I think the biggest issue why we have so many turnovers and get hemmed in our zone is passing. This team overall is not a very good passing team. We have some good players but then guys like Neil, Phillips, Cowen, etc. make terrible passes.

Just take a look at a team like CHI. The passing by the D's and the F's is immaculate. That's why they keep possession.

Or maybe the quality of the opponent has something to do with it? They weren't exactly a Picasso either in their own end, they played worse defensively than we did because our four lines were going.

I think you are relying on reputation instead of the actual game last night.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Lol common man... Grasping at straws

Boro's gap control and first pass is great, Mcleans just not playing the younger players until in his eyes they prove they can be consistent and earn the ice time.

I think in game if a guy is playing well he needs to read and adjust but I don't mind the premise. Keeps the young guys on their toes, as a young player in the league the biggest battle is to be consistent.

Boro has been solid but that could be attributed to the competition he plays against. Not sure how well he would fare against a top pairing line night in and out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad