Chiarelli Appreciation Thread

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

. You do this all the time. You get attached to Oiler players and are completely dismissive of new players brought in. Every offseason you do this. I liked Gordon too but Letestu is just fine as a replacement, don't see the problem here. Also, as I noted before, he brings more versatility to the table which I think Chia coveted. The problem with Gordon is that he's very one dimensional, solid at what he did, but didn't really push the pace at all and has no ability to move up the lineup in case of injury.

BEcause its all just trading deck chairs on the Titanic which keeps sinking. I react this way because the OIL DO THIS EVERY DAMN ****ING SEASON.

Fail to recognize players that actually played well and replace players randomly regardless of good or bad performance. How am I supposed to feel about an org that lost people like Gordon, Roy, Nelson, and don't even care. This org makes zero assessment on which individuals are actually doing their job. They just replace them, endlessly. While several duds continue to exist in the lineup and only added to in some cases.

On a team with negligible identiy the wagon line was the only line that had identity and knew what it was and what it should do. The Oilers respond by getting rid of the integral Center on that line. ffs

Never changes.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
BEcause its all just trading deck chairs on the Titanic which keeps sinking. I react this way because the OIL DO THIS EVERY DAMN ****ING SEASON.

Fail to recognize players that actually played well and replace players randomly regardless of good or bad performance. How am I supposed to feel about an org that lost people like Gordon, Roy, Nelson, and don't even care. This org makes zero assessment on which individuals are actually doing their job. They just replace them, endlessly. While several duds continue to exist in the lineup and only added to in some cases.

On a team with negligible identiy the wagon line was the only line that had identity and knew what it was and what it should do. The Oilers respond by getting rid of the integral Center on that line. ffs

Never changes.

To be fair its a business and Oilers got better replacements for Nelson (Mclellan) and Roy(McDavid)..Gordon one is a step down for sure but RNH is ready to take on the I think (hope)..
Oilers were good enough to Nelson and allowed him to join an organization where in a couple years he will have a shot at head coaching in NHL.. Behind McLellan he had no hope. Roy we owed nothing.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Never changes.

Because the team freaking sucks every year so change is bound to happen. Just because a lot of the moves have failed in the past doesn't mean that they are bound to fail again just because.

It seems like you're closing you mind off to these new players and dismissing them because of the failures of the previous regime. Well, this is a new regime. These guys in place (Chiarelli and Mclellan) are proven winners. I trust that they know what they are doing. I'm not going to sit here and be miserable about these moves because of some OBC crap that doomed the team in the past.

As I stated before, I hated the Gordon trade when it happened because at the moment I thought they were just dumping him for a nothing player with salary attached but they brought in a more versatile player who will fit their up tempo scheme better. I do wish they had a better 3rd liner in mind than Korpikoski but meh, it's not going to make or break the team.

Roy was gone the moment the lottery balls fell the Oilers way. There's no room for a one dimensional miniscule skilled center on the roster.

I liked Nelson well enough but if I had to choose between Nelson and Mclellan, I choose Mclellan ten times out of ten. They needed an experienced winner as coach, not a guy learning on the job.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Because the team freaking sucks every year so change is bound to happen. Just because a lot of the moves have failed in the past doesn't mean that they are bound to fail again just because.

It seems like you're closing you mind off to these new players and dismissing them because of the failures of the previous regime. Well, this is a new regime. These guys in place (Chiarelli and Mclellan) are proven winners. I trust that they know what they are doing. I'm not going to sit here and be miserable about these moves because of some OBC crap that doomed the team in the past.

As I stated before, I hated the Gordon trade when it happened because at the moment I thought they were just dumping him for a nothing player with salary attached but they brought in a more versatile player who will fit their up tempo scheme better. I do wish they had a better 3rd liner in mind than Korpikoski but meh, it's not going to make or break the team.

Roy was gone the moment the lottery balls fell the Oilers way. There's no room for a one dimensional miniscule skilled center on the roster.

I liked Nelson well enough but if I had to choose between Nelson and Mclellan, I choose Mclellan ten times out of ten. They needed an experienced winner as coach, not a guy learning on the job.

Change for sake of change is chaos. You completely underestimate the impact of that. Sideways deals are not even lateral, they are steps back almost everytime. I would almost always prefer to keep useful players that have a connection with team rather than a constant crew of incoming that don't. People forget that the moves the Oilers do and the wholescale addition of 10 new players every year is what expansion clubs would be doing if expansion clubs existed. Until they figured out a plan.

The amount of lateral moves made this season just suggests to me that we're running status quo and only now with Chia bringing in his preferred and not valuing the positive impact of the players leaving.

Really, and I mean this, anybody that brings in a clown like Korpse I have to continue to wonder about. This being the same GM that dealt Seguin and Boychuk doesn't exactly fill me with hope.

Chia hasn't gained my confidence. His offseason sure isn't helping.

Gordon was my top pick for unsung player this year. Also picked him as one of the most valuable players as based on performance. Those posts are there, those posts were made at end of season and long before Gordon was dealt. You can attribute to something else, but that was my standing on Gordon all along and for years here.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Change for sake of change is chaos. You completely underestimate the impact of that. Sideways deals are not even lateral, they are steps back everytime. I would almost always prefer to keep useful players that have a connection with team rather than a constant crew of incoming that don't. People forget that the moves the Oilers do and the wholescale addition of 10 new players every year is what expansion clubs would be doing if expansion clubs existed. Until they figured out a plan.

The amount of lateral moves made this season just suggests to me that we're running status quo and only now with Chia bringing in his preferred and not valuing the positive impact of the players leaving.

Really, and I mean this, anybody that brings in a clown like Korpse I have to continue to wonder about. This being the same guy that dealt Seguin and Boychuk doesn't exactly fill me with hope.

Which moves would you have made that wouldn't be considered lateral?

Would you have been content with minimal change this offseason?

Should they have just stuck with Nelson, Roy and Gordon. Not signed Sekera, held onto all their draft picks and not fired any scouting staff members? Should they have just kept MacT? Lowe as POHO?

I'm resorting to some hyperbole here but did you honestly not expect chaotic change this offseason? This is just the beginning too. Don't get too attached to the core up front because I'm pretty sure that Chiarelli is going to continue to put his stamp on the team. Long gone are the days of no accountability and floating your way through games. Long gone are the days of The Golden Children up front getting preferential treatment. If they aren't cutting the mustard next season, I expect even bigger changes next offseason and to be honest, I wouldn't mind it. I don't fully believe in this core at all, way too soft and one dimensional. We'll see if that changes under competent coaching.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Change for sake of change is chaos. You completely underestimate the impact of that. Sideways deals are not even lateral, they are steps back almost everytime. I would almost always prefer to keep useful players that have a connection with team rather than a constant crew of incoming that don't. People forget that the moves the Oilers do and the wholescale addition of 10 new players every year is what expansion clubs would be doing if expansion clubs existed. Until they figured out a plan.

Really, and I mean this, anybody that brings in a clown like Korpse I have to continue to wonder about. This being the same GM that dealt Seguin and Boychuk doesn't exactly fill me with hope.

Gordon was my top pick for unsung player this year. Also picked him as one of the most valuable players as based on performance. Those posts are there, those posts were made at end of season and long before Gordon was dealt. You can attribute to something else, but that was my standing on Gordon all along and for years here.
Your hate for Korpikoski is honestly annoying as ****. You continually say he has sucked for years. Then all you spout is how bad he was last year when it is irrelevant as he played thru a high ankle sprain and you don't give any evidence other then last year and basically ignore the counter arguement.

Gordon was great here. He was a hard worker and a great guy. Great defensively but garbage offensively. Clearly Chia and McLellan have an identity they want the team to be and Gordon doesnt fit that. Chia prefered a guy like Letetsu then Gordon for the team identity so he moved him out.

And no you can't rail on that because until we see the team play we don't know how well it will be. But it's clear they like players that can play a bit more up and down the lineup and that they wanted a right handed center. So that makes sense.

You can say all we did was shuffle around deck chairs but that's all trading is. This is a weird off season where other then Lucic no good player has been moved for a fair return so trying to shake up the roster to much will be way to costly.

Your opinion on Sekera is very off. He played very well in LA before his injury. In the western conference style of play... on his off side as well.

All you care about is results. So do I, the fact you are being so negative of all these moves shows how bitter you have become over the old management and you aren't really giving new management a chance. You are finding any and all reasons to hate the players brought on other then Reinhart and it's honestly kind of sad.

And you seem to ignore what people tell you and show you about Chia having his hand forced in Boston. The Seguin trade was bad but he was pretty much forced to move him. No one had any idea Eriksson would **** the bed like he did and Seguin would explode like he did either. Neely forced his hand.

Instead of giving the guy or any of these players a chance you pretty much have thrown them all under the bus and given up on the season already.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Maybe he hasnt given up .. Maybe he is just holding off on the blind appreciation...
Maybe Gryba would be a great shut down force with mean streak on the blue line... Maybe Reinhart can be a minute eating workhorse for us in the top pairing... Maybe Korpakowski is Pouliot 2.0... Letestu Stoll 2.0 in his prime... I am willing to see how these maybes pan out but you cant declare everyone who questioned these moves "anti-Oilers"... Its just way too early for a thread like this... You will get extreme views from both sides since its a premature thread.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
I'm very happy with what he's done for us this offseason. We don't have results, no, but on paper I really can't ask for a whole lot.

- Chose a damn good coach and probably the right fit. A guy who has a history of developing young players and also producing teams that play a high octane offense.

- Added a veteran top-pairing in free agency on a good contract. I've been a big Sekera fan for a while, and adding him was smart. 28 y/o, can play both sides, move the puck and play tough opposition. With him not being overly physical, he should age well too.

- Added another crown jewel in Reinhart. I've learned to really like this trade. Between Pronman's viewing in the AHL, and Willis' report from his NHL stints, there is a lot of optimism for us in part of Reinhart's future. I don't think he'll start the season in the NHL, but I do think he ends up there. He'll be our RHD anchor going forward.

- Took a chance on a potential starting goalie for cheap. Compared to the Lehner and Jones deals, where Talbot is better than both, Chia did quite well. If Talbot can prove to be a starting goalie, it will prove to be a great deal.

- Kept all the crown jewels together. Didn't trade any of our young talents for a veteran. Will give them a chance under a coach where all their skills will make them thrive.

He essentially overhauled 30% of the roster and added significant contributions. Not half way NHLers and role players who will be playing above their heads.

On paper I thought he knocked this offseason out of the park. I don't we could've asked for more.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
I appreciate Chia for being here in place of MacT, because MacT was a pathetic gongshow manager that followed after other pathetic gongshow managers. We haven't seen a thing yet from Chia's moves, so I'll reserve my judgment. Maybe we could link the old "In Stu we trust" threads, and then the thread when he got canned a few years later. I know he's not our GM, but really, is there an argument for any of the GMs or personnel we've had over the years?

This board is ridiculous sometimes. Why should we be appreciating someone for just showing up and being hired on the spot? I like the guy but damnit people, get a grip...

We'd all figure that the last 15+ years would teach us not to jump to conclusions.

Last edited:

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Which moves would you have made that wouldn't be considered lateral?

Would you have been content with minimal change this offseason?

Should they have just stuck with Nelson, Roy and Gordon. Not signed Sekera, held onto all their draft picks and not fired any scouting staff members? Should they have just kept MacT? Lowe as POHO?

I'm resorting to some hyperbole here but did you honestly not expect chaotic change this offseason? This is just the beginning too. Don't get too attached to the core up front because I'm pretty sure that Chiarelli is going to continue to put his stamp on the team. Long gone are the days of no accountability and floating your way through games. Long gone are the days of The Golden Children up front getting preferential treatment. If they aren't cutting the mustard next season, I expect even bigger changes next offseason and to be honest, I wouldn't mind it. I don't fully believe in this core at all, way too soft and one dimensional. We'll see if that changes under competent coaching.

I'd say picking up Korpikoski, Letestu, Gryba and Reinhart are the definition of lateral moves. Would it really make much of a difference if we went with Gordon, Klinkhammer, Marincin and Aulie instead?

Sekera is an impact move and Talbot has the potential to be. Everything else falls into the definition of what Replacement is saying.

I will put my support in a GM that acquires us a #1 dman. I don't care if Hall/RNH/Eberle/Draisaitl/Nurse have to move. The biggest problem we have had is our GM's refuse to make hard decisions with our valuable assets. It's easy switching your #3C or #5D. We need somebody that is going to be willing to do something that is not easy. Maybe Chiarelli will be that guy but he hasn't been this summer.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

Never changes.

Notable duds, like your man-crush Yakupov? You can't part with that dud, and you want to complain?

(cue the excuses for why Yak)

Last edited:

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon

Never changes.

So basically, you're going to be negative until the team actually starts winning?

I guess I understand that... Games aren't played in June/July.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'd say picking up Korpikoski, Letestu, Gryba and Reinhart are the definition of lateral moves. Would it really make much of a difference if we went with Gordon, Klinkhammer, Marincin and Aulie instead?

Sekera is an impact move and Talbot has the potential to be. Everything else falls into the definition of what Replacement is saying.

I will put my support in a GM that acquires us a #1 dman. I don't care if Hall/RNH/Eberle/Draisaitl/Nurse have to move. The biggest problem we have had is our GM's refuse to make hard decisions with our valuable assets. It's easy switching your #3C or #5D. We need somebody that is going to be willing to do something that is not easy. Maybe Chiarelli will be that guy but he hasn't been this summer.

Every team makes lateral moves every year in the bottom 6/bottom pairings. Such is life in a cap world. The key is getting the most out of those players and that's where competent coaching should help.

Getting a #1 Dman is completely unrealistic. Maybe this is why you're not happy with the offseason, because your expectations are too high IMO. Look at all the #1's in the league, how many have been acquired by trades/free agency? Suter is the only one I can think of and it seemed like he had his sights set on Minnesota the whole time so that was a perfect storm.

The bottom line is that most of the developing is going to have to be done from within. Nurse, Klefbom and/or Reinhart is going to be their defense core.
What they need to continue to do is surround the young guys with strong vets while they develop into legit NHLers. What you're going to see through trade and free agency is mainly complimentary players because core players simply aren't made available most of the time. If you're expecting them to deal for a #1 defenseman or bust, you're more than likely going to be disappointed.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
These were good moves but at the end of the day these moves don't make you into a good team. MacT also brought in good depth and role players at times. Tambellini also got good value for rentals. Trading for guys like Maroon isn't that hard. Until Chiarelli actually does something significant I'm not going to be singing his praises.

Were the last team in the league again, Maroon isn't the answer.

You aren't going to make those big moves at the TDL. It's nearly impossible to do. Chia is laying a base for what's to come. Separate the wheat from the chaff, add size, and skill, make the right decisions money wise, and do the big trades in the off season. I'm quite pleased with how this TDL weekend went.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
He did a great job the past few days. :handclap: I'm looking forward to what he can do in the summer.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

Never changes.

Holy sweat the small stuff much? Gordon was a 3 mil dollar 4th liner; that's why he was traded.

Roy? Are you seriously still pining for this guy?

Nelson? Who cares?

Not sure if I can recall three less significant losses.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Holy sweat the small stuff much? Gordon was a 3 mil dollar 4th liner; that's why he was traded.

Roy? Are you seriously still pining for this guy?

Nelson? Who cares?

Not sure if I can recall three less significant losses.
To be fair that post is from mid-July.
RwOdsFW.gif

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
RwOdsFW.gif

Its important to call me out on it now. :laugh:

Thread resurrections always end up tricking people.

I still like those guys though, I'm consistent.

But now Kass, and Maroon have added to the physical identity Gryba and McDavidson are giving up. With Nurse to add to that.

Team has more physical identity now. Love that.

Last edited:

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
I like the fact that the biggest badest team that I can recall in recent memory was put together by the same GM that the Oilers currently employ. He's exactly the GM we needed.

Lucic, Chara, Thornton, Marchand, Ference, Boychuk all made it easier for guys like Bergeron, Krejci to play their game.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
I like the fact that the biggest badest team that I can recall in recent memory was put together by the same GM that the Oilers currently employ. He's exactly the GM we needed.

Lucic, Chara, Thornton, Marchand, Ference, Boychuk all made it easier for guys like Bergeron, Krejci to play their game.

Chiarelli had nothing to do with Lucic and Marchand. He wasn't the GM at our table during that draft. Lucic was all Jeff Gorton and Scott Bradley, who were our interim GM and head scout, respectively, at the time. Daniel Dore, who spent a lot of time in the QMJHL, was responsible for the Marchand pick. When Chiarelli was here the scouts had virtually no say in the draft day selections up until 2013, when Keith Gretzky actually had a say. From 2007-2012, Jim Benning, now the GM in Vancouver, was essentially the one making the picks, and our drafts were terrible outside of 2010.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Pretty much did what was expected. I wondered if he would try get a guy that was unwanted on another club that we could use and he did in Maroon. He also went out and did something that was drastically needed and that was grab a couple vets off waivers to let prospects develop in the AHL.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
RwOdsFW.gif

Whoops. My bad.

As for Chia... Yeah, just hold off and wait till the summer. His minor moves (Gryba, Kassian,)seem better then Mact's and much better than Tambo. Pouliot was a decent pickup by MacT, I suppose. Tambo crapped out on everything.

Chia already looks more competent at acquiring depth players. But, it will be the pending big moves he may or not make that he will be judged by.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
name one fire Chia poster ...
just because there are some who arent blinded by Chia love doesnt mean they want him fired. There is more than with him or against him ..

Apparently you haven't read some of the garbage on some other threads. Torches and pitchforks out. Hopefully this will slow down some of the more vocal whiners.

Well done Chia, nice start! Now, on to the draft and what he can do there.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad