Chiarelli Appreciation Thread

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
For me, I'll know the winds of change have truly blown through Oilers HQ when they sweep out Lowe, MacT, Howson and Green. Probably not gonna happen though.

Well, definitely not Lowe. MacT and Howson? Idk. they should be skidded for Schultz and Nikitin alone. And, how much did Green influence the Reinhart deal? Who knows.

But, I'm with you. If he keeps all three of these guys, after seeing what a ridiculous roster they assembled, you have to wonder.

Not resigning MacT would be a smart business move, for the optics alone.

But, maybe, like Lowe, he doesn't really do anything, and Katz just doesn't mind paying him North of 500 large to do nothing.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
For me, I'll know the winds of change have truly blown through Oilers HQ when they sweep out Lowe, MacT, Howson and Green. Probably not gonna happen though.

Same here. Those guys (don't really know enough about Green) being around always makes me feel uneasy. The Reinhart trade I believe is evidence of OBC influence so it would be nice to sweep the old guard out completely although I'm well aware that Lowe has a lifetime contract with the organization but they need to at least flush #2.

I like the moves Chia made yesterday but until the positive on ice results show out, it's hard to give out much accolades.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Lowe isn't going anywhere, unless he retires. From what I understand he is mostly into the marketing end of things. MacT's contract runs out the end of this year, and unless he wants to be the dumb kid sitting in the corner with the dunce hat on while the rest of the group make decisions, I think he leaves then. Hopefully Howson leaves with Nikitin under his arm.

And not to forget Bucky, who at last sighting was still hiding in the men's bathroom when Chia sent out a memo for him to report to his office.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I don't even know how MacT and Howson wake up to their alarms every day to go in to an office and watch someone systematically work at fixing all the mistakes they made. Where's the pride or self dignity?

I can only imagine if I got demoted at work and had to come in every day to be an assistant to someone who spends all their time trying to undo all the damage I caused the company.

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
I don't even know how MacT and Howson wake up to their alarms every day to go in to an office and watch someone systematically work at fixing all the mistakes they made. Where's the pride or self dignity?

I can only imagine if I got demoted at work and had to come in every day to be an assistant to someone who spends all their time trying to undo all the damage I caused the company.

They honestly probably think they did a good job. I feel Nicholson and now chia are the only ones who are upset about this on the management side. MacT said this year was a development year before he got canned, this is most likely his script for this year

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

My god hahahaha. Bruins ownership and management keep trying to scape goat Chairelli to avoid facing the uncomfortable reality that they are th emajor issue

Since Chairellis been gone

-Lost Hamilton for scraps. Traded for a lesser return and not shopped around league
-Had one of worst 1st round drafts of any team in history. Could very well rival 2007 Oilers 1st round meltdown
-Traded a 50 point Reilly Smith for a 29 point Jimmy Hayes
-Traded Cammera, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th for Lee Stemniak and Liles. Missed playoffs
-Traded a 3rd round pick for Rinaldo, who scored 3 points in 2015-2016
-Signed Matt Belesky to a 3.8 mil deal

Meanwhile Chiarelli:
-Killed 2015 draft with 3 picks that look better than Bostons 3 first round picks
- Acquired a #1 goalie for a 2nd round pick
- Acquired near ppg 1st line player for 4th round pick and failed prospect
- Signed Sekera

Hmmm wonder who the problem is :sarcasm:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

My god hahahaha. Bruins ownership and management keep trying to scape goat Chairelli to avoid facing the uncomfortable reality that they are th emajor issue

-Lost Hamilton for scraps. Traded for a lesser return and not shopped around league
-Had one of worst 1st round drafts of any team in history. Could very well rival 2007 Oilers 1st round meltdown

Meanwhile Chiarelli:
-Killed 2015 draft with 3 picks that look better than Bostons 3 first round picks
- Signed Sekera

Hmmm wonder who is the problem is :sarcasm:

and they still haven't signed Loui Eriksson...who free to walk in June...get on it Seabass!

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Meanwhile Chiarelli:
- Signed Sekera

Same thing will be said when Seabass and company get turfed.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Meanwhile Chiarelli:
- Signed Sekera

Had a lengthy twitter argument with a guy who is just stone cold conviced that Chiarelli is a terrible GM because of his draft record.

Granted there are GMs with better records out there, and there's more to being a good GM than drafting, but Ryan Spooner has the same amount of points as all Oiler draft picks from rounds 2-7 from the 08, 09, and 10 drafts COMBINED.

Spooner: 78 points
08/09/10 draft classes, rounds 2-7 (20 picks) : 78 points.

Plus found Torey Krug for free as an unsigned free agent, built and kept together a Cup threat, took a bottom feeder with 76 points to the playoff the next season (and knocked a staggering 67 goals off their GA total)

God I hope he's that kind of awful here. :laugh:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I wonder when the owners are going to figure out that Neely is the major issue in the org. Pushed for Seguin trade (there is a reputable Boston insider who said recently Neely told Chiarelli to trade Seguin no matter what), pushed Hamilton trade.

Im gunna love the reaction when Chiarelli is wheeling and dealing this offseason and Sweeney is fumbling around like an idiot

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

Meanwhile Chiarelli:
- Signed Sekera

Bruins fans have bought it hook, line, and sinker, too. They blame him for every single woe of the team. If Chiarelli takes this team from the gutter, and gets us a Championship, and continued contention, but we get stuck in the same cap situation every successful team gets in, and I turn on him like they turned on him, just take me for a lobotomy, please.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
Bruins fans have bought it hook, line, and sinker, too. They blame him for every single woe of the team. If Chiarelli takes this team from the gutter, and gets us a Championship, and continued contention, but we get stuck in the same cap situation every successful team gets in, and I turn on him like they turned on him, just take me for a lobotomy, please.

That's the thing with successful teams, their players usually end up getting paid because they are performing well. Very few teams manage the resulting cap mess (Chicago and LA seem to be the only exceptions) which is why you see a lot of cyclical power exchanges in the NHL. It happened to Boston, Pittsburgh, it's happening to NYR now and its gonna hit Tampa like a truck as well.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't blame Bruin ownership at all for blaming Chiarelli. It's all about selling the team to their fans and getting season ticket sales and all that. We see a similar line of marketing around here all the time. If you put the blame on Chiarelli, then that means that everyone running the team is A-okay and the team will turn it around quickly.

I would like to know how Boston's cap issues were on Chiarelli as well. Sweeney inherited more bargain contracts than bad ones. The only rough contract they had was Kelly. That's typical for contenders though, and what separates the good organizations from the bad ones is that they take the impossible situation and make the most of it. Look at what Chicago and LA have done with their cap issues. Those teams have bigger contracts taking up dead space as well, as in Brown and Bickell. Chiarelli built the Bruins. If he would have stayed with them, maybe the Bruins would be in the playoffs right now.

Although, the real canary in the coal mine there is Chara. He's in decline, and probably their two big name centers as well. It's a team of depth guys now. Their big hope for extending their core into the future was Hamilton and Seguin, and those two were pushed out of town by Neely and Sweeny

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I don't blame Bruin ownership at all for blaming Chiarelli. It's all about selling the team to their fans and getting season ticket sales and all that. We see a similar line of marketing around here all the time. If you put the blame on Chiarelli, then that means that everyone running the team is A-okay and the team will turn it around quickly.

I would like to know how Boston's cap issues were on Chiarelli as well. Sweeney inherited more bargain contracts than bad ones. The only rough contract they had was Kelly. That's typical for contenders though, and what separates the good organizations from the bad ones is that they take the impossible situation and make the most of it. Look at what Chicago and LA have done with their cap issues. Those teams have bigger contracts taking up dead space as well, as in Brown and Bickell. Chiarelli built the Bruins. If he would have stayed with them, maybe the Bruins would be in the playoffs right now.

Although, the real canary in the coal mine there is Chara. He's in decline, and probably their two big name centers as well. It's a team of depth guys now. Their big hope for extending their core into the future was Hamilton and Seguin, and those two were pushed out of town by Neely and Sweeny

My favourite arguement of Bruins fans is that every bad move by Sweeney is caused by Chiarelli. Like the Hamilton situation. They say there was NOTHING else that could have been done. It was a requirement to trade Hamilton. Well they could have offloaded other vets. If not that, they could have shopped him to the league. Jim Nill is on record saying he had no clue Hamilton was on block and had a better offer. No excuse for Sweeney on that one

Chiarelli might have ran that team into cup issue, but he did so after winning a cup and contending. Hell Hawks and Kings are in a same situation right now. Thats what happens to cup winning teams. You win the cup because you have the best players, and the best players dont come cheap

Another thing to consider: all the deals Neely potentially vetoed that well never know about

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
My favourite arguement of Bruins fans is that every bad move by Sweeney is caused by Chiarelli. Like the Hamilton situation. They say there was NOTHING else that could have been done. It was a requirement to trade Hamilton. Well they could have offloaded other vets. If not that, they could have shopped him to the league. Jim Nill is on record saying he had no clue Hamilton was on block and had a better offer. No excuse for Sweeney on that one

Chiarelli might have ran that team into cup issue, but he did so after winning a cup and contending. Hell Hawks and Kings are in a same situation right now. Thats what happens to cup winning teams. You win the cup because you have the best players, and the best players dont come cheap

Another thing to consider: all the deals Neely potentially vetoed that well never know about

The Hamilton situation is dumbfounding. Imo the best move by far would have been to just sign him and worry about the cap later. You're allowed to be over the cap in the offseason. Lots of teams do that. If all it would have taken is 5.5 AAV I don't even see the issue. They handed 3.8 AAV to Matt freakin Belesky that offseason. How about keeping your future D stud and adding some cheap depth scorers in July?

Also like you say, the return on Hamilton was just odd, and the reports from around the league that no one even knew he was for sale is indefensible. How hard is it to advertise availability? What's the draw back of doing so? Make it public and watch the offers role in. The other GMs will do the work for you, because he's a guy you shouldn't be trading in the first place!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad