Chiarelli Appreciation Thread

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
For what he did at the draft and for what he did yesterday, I think Chiarelli deserves a hand: :handclap::handclap::handclap:

He's shown amazing asset management over the past few days. He made some amazing trades and signings that we're totally unaccustomed to here in Oil Country. He even sounds like a real GM when he talks to the media. I'm sure there were other factors in play, but he was able to secure us one of the best not only head coaches but one of the best coaching staffs in the league.

Maybe it's because this the first time we had a real GM running the team in almost two decades, maybe it's the McDavid effect, but I for one am very thankful that we were able to get him to run our team.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
Funny how all the fire Chia posters have vanished. I really like all the moves he has made and only have praise for him!

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Funny how all the fire Chia posters have vanished. I really like all the moves he has made and only have praise for him!

name one fire Chia poster ...
just because there are some who arent blinded by Chia love doesnt mean they want him fired. There is more than with him or against him ..

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'll postpone the celebration until we see some results, but I've never had such faith in Oilers management.

It's okay not to be FULLY satisfied, but c'mon man that's weak. Even if the team is still bad, you've got to admit that Chiarelli did just about everything possible to help this team succeed. Even when I gave MacT some kudos last offseason I tempered by saying that he didn't fill a single major need. I can't say that with Chiarelli now. He's given us a goalie and a Dman, and upgraded other areas as well.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I'm going to hold my praise until the Oilers start winning. And by winning I mean win more games than they lose, which shouldn't be a hard task (although I'm not too fond of our chances in the Pacific division)

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Whenever this many changes are made in a short time there will always be one or more that one does not agree with and this is not the exception. (Still not a fan of the Reinhart move.)

However the fact that he managed to make significant additions and changes to the team without dealing one main core cog speaks wonders of having a real GM. We still have an abundance of forwards who can be used in the next year or two to fill more holes.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
It really shows you how utterly incompetent MacT and friends are. I'm not even convinced that Chia is an elite GM yet but he looks like vintage Sather compared to his predecessors.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Let's see:

Not Lowe? - check
Not Tambo? - check
Not MacT? - check

All good!

In all seriousness, ALL GM's make mistakes from time to time, none of them are perfect. I'll give him time but so far the good has out weighed the bad.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Chiarelli seems to get what he wants. He goes into free agency and lands the biggest fish, and for decent cost. We were rumoured to be one of many teams in on Talbot, and Chiarelli is the one that ended up with him. Same for McLellan. Part of that is maybe that he can identify what is the best but also most realistic target. MacT wasted time going after Schneider, which was perhaps never realistic to get, and maybe he would have went all in for Babcock instead of McLellan and come up empty. MacT's 'bold moves' were likely not doable ones.

So for sure, Chiarelli is quite shrewd

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Yes, Chiarelli is awesome man, like this is such a dream come true for us oiler fans.

FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER oiler fans have pleaded for certain moves in the off season and Chiarelli has delievered. No more stupid signings and overpayments. Letestu was a guy alot of us wanted and Chiarelli got him, same with Sekera. This just makes sense.

However, the real test will come in the season, if we start to falter, I think Chiarelli is going to step up and trade one of the kids...and i'm totally ok with that.

Also, Mclellan is going to be the same I hope. I think fans are gonna be on the same page with his decisions on ice (the lines and scratches and strategies etc). It could be a very very fun year for us, finally, after 10 years.....but I'm not gonna get too excited yet as hard as it is

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If all we did this off season was draft Mcdavid and hire Mclellan then this team would still see a pretty good jump in points. It can be pretty amazing what a good coach can do for a team.

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
It's okay not to be FULLY satisfied, but c'mon man that's weak. Even if the team is still bad, you've got to admit that Chiarelli did just about everything possible to help this team succeed. Even when I gave MacT some kudos last offseason I tempered by saying that he didn't fill a single major need. I can't say that with Chiarelli now. He's given us a goalie and a Dman, and upgraded other areas as well.

Huh? I'm one of the biggest Chia supporters here. That's somehow incompatible with wanting to see results?

Did you quote the wrong post?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Huh? I'm one of the biggest Chia supporters here. That's somehow incompatible with wanting to see results?

Did you quote the wrong post?

after reading again, I might have, or just read a little too much in it. But I generally don't agree that results are everything if we're just talking about the job that Chiarelli did this offseason.

I basically mean that everything is a gamble, and even if the next season does go that well I don't think we can say it's because Chiarelli didn't make the right moves.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
Well have to wait and see how successful we are. But it just feels strange to have just... A vibe of positive coming from the team. Hell the main board has a "who drafts #1 next year" discussion and nobody/barely anyone is saying Edmonton and it just feels great

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Chiarelli brings credibility with him to the job while Mactavish never did. He's accomplished something in his position in the past so when he makes moves it's easier to believe in his plan. It was hard to believe in anything Mactavish was doing when I never felt he was qualified and should have got the job in the first place. The arrogance shown by Lowe at that press conference and then the arrogance shown by Mactavish after turned me off so much I could never support anything he was doing. With Chiarelli in charge I don't have any problem being patient with results, a light at the end of the tunnel seems possible now. There was no light at the end of the tunnel with Mactavish and Lowe, just never ending gloom.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
15a78dCc2ESIw.gif

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Well have to wait and see how successful we are. But it just feels strange to have just... A vibe of positive coming from the team. Hell the main board has a "who drafts #1 next year" discussion and nobody/barely anyone is saying Edmonton and it just feels great

With the %'s changing and the way the lottery is done is changed, we could totally finish 19th overall in the standings and pick 1st overall. If that happens, this whole site might come tumbling down :biglaugh:

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Mac T is amazed that you can trade draft picks for actual proven NHL players.

Not trying to defend MacT but Chiarelli didn't exactly trade picks for proven players. He traded picks for Talbot who is an unproven starter and Reinhart who isn't an NHL player yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad