Chiarelli Appreciation Thread

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm not really a big fan of the Korpikoski deal but I'll trust Chia's call on that. I'd rather have had the free cap room for next summer and/or signed Chris Stewart for the same dollars on a 1-year.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm not sure what some of you were expecting. He added the top free agent Dman available or at least the one who was the best fit, added a cheaper Gordon replacement and IMO, an upgrade. He also added one of the top goalies available and didn't pay the ridiculous price that was rumored. Unproven yes, but Talbot has more upside than Scrivens and Fasth. There's a reason why there was a much stronger market for him than those guys.
Oh and he got one of the best coaches available (a proven winner) and turfed a completely inept scouting staff before they could do more damage.

I'm not a fan of the Reinhart deal, felt that they should have gotten a more proven Dman with those picks especially when Barzal dropped. I think it was a waste of a real opportunity to improve the team greatly in the short term but that seems like the one misstep at least on paper, maybe Reinhart winds up working out.
The Gordon for Korpikoski deal is small beans and makes sense with the Letestu acquisition, not sure why anybody would waste time complaining about this deal. I would have preferred Gordon for a draft pick but meh, who cares really. 4th liner for 4th liner who will be off the books after the season.
The Hamilton deal wasn't his fault at all if media reports are to be believed that Boston didn't want to deal with him barring a ridiculous overpay (Nurse add in).

I do think that Chia lucked into the McDavid situation which certainly helped him lure Mclellan and the free agents but there has been a remarkable changing of the guard if you looked at what this team looked like in April. Lots of work to be done and he certainly doesn't deserve an appreciation thread or the criticism that some are giving him but there's no denying that the moves on paper at least look positive. There seems to be a real direction with where this team is going for the first time in years outside of collecting draft picks and hoping for the best.

I also like the way he handles himself. Doesn't tip his hand like MacT did and has all the looks of a true professional, somebody who commands respect in the GMing community.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Mainly your assessments of Gryba and Korpikoski. We have tried adding toughness every year and ever year the fans get excited at the thought. Then reality sets in and we find out the players we brought in just aren't very good.

Everybody expected Ference to bring toughness to the team and he is/was a much better dman than Gryba has ever been. If Ference flopped so badly here, what hope is there for Gryba?

This team could use Ference ... but Ference of 4-5 years ago. He's too old to play that role now.

Gryba at least is 27. At 6'4 225, he can at least physically play that role somewhat. Ference is 5'11 and 180 pounds these days.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I didn't label anything. I said I'm not defending either, nor do I think Chia is at all worthy of an appreciation thread for signing Sekera and not much else.

Talbot meh

Gryba meh

Testube meh

Korpse absolutely stinks.

I'm fine with the Reinhart deal. Has the most promise imo. I think he faltered from there.

Ok fair enough. I'm with u on the premature appreciation thread.

Not sure why the Talbot acquisition gets a meh. What goilie could he have gotten that is any better? There r only a hanful of goalies that aren't meh, and none r available.

Anyways. No biggie. Cheers

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I can see Korpikoski being Mclellans guy/a guy who could/can forecheck.

see this thread from just last year.....he can't be THAT bad....

it's also interesting the number of guys from saskatchewan now in the system...

Todd sinkin his fingers into the mix...

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think if all goes well, he will become a Petry type d-man in a couple of years. If not, he will be playing in Europe after his current contract. He's a good project, but the Oilers may not have been in the position to wait on him. I understand this part. Leafs are re-building and this may be the perfect spot for Marincin to prove his mettle under a good coach. If he can't cut it,he has himself alone to blame.

I highly doubt that he gets there. Petry for all of the crap that he got was a lot more physical and physically strong. the only way that Marincin would've been worth keeping is if he had given us some offense to go along with the rest of his game. He just never did.

Mainly your assessments of Gryba and Korpikoski. We have tried adding toughness every year and ever year the fans get excited at the thought. Then reality sets in and we find out the players we brought in just aren't very good.

Everybody expected Ference to bring toughness to the team and he is/was a much better dman than Gryba has ever been. If Ference flopped so badly here, what hope is there for Gryba?

Ference brings little physicality because he is not a big and overly strong guy. Add to that that he fights for himself and not his teammates which IMO is a piss poor example of a captain on the ice. Gryba is much bigger and stronger than Ference ever was and unlike Ference he is not years past his prime. It remains to be seen if Gryba becomes that 3rd pairing heart and soul guy that changes a games momentum with a crushing check but I like his chances of being that guy for us.

Korpikoski is a guy that was definitely a buy low candidate. He would've been 8th in scoring for our forwards last season on a team that was worse than ours and had Oilers castoffs like Gagner and Arcobello leading the charge. He would've been our 3rd leading hitter among forwards as well and that is needed on a team full of softies up front. I see him as replacing Klinkhammer in the top 12 or giving us a proven 3rd liner if a guy like Leon gets sent down.

I'm not really a big fan of the Korpikoski deal but I'll trust Chia's call on that. I'd rather have had the free cap room for next summer and/or signed Chris Stewart for the same dollars on a 1-year.

Ultimately we ended up paying $1.3 million more for both Korpikoski and Letestu than we would've just for Gordon so I still see it as a win for us. Stewart would've been nice for sure but maybe we target him next summer when we have some of MacT's flubs come off the books.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

I actually do not see much downside with acquiring Korpikoski. He's still in his prime years, reportedly was playing hurt last year and has scored 40points a few years ago, while playing good two way game. If he comes here, kills penalties, plays well defenisvely and scores some 30 points on the third line, we should be happy. Definition of low risk, high reward acquisition.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I actually do not see much downside with acquiring Korpikoski. He's still in his prime years, reportedly was playing hurt last year and has scored 40points a few years ago, while playing good two way game. If he comes here, kills penalties, plays well defenisvely and scores some 30 points on the third line, we should be happy. Definition of low risk, high reward acquisition.

Completely agree. I have no idea how someone can claim to know what they are talking about with this player and then state with certainty that he has no value and will add nothing.

Same kind of nonsense happened with Pouliot and look how that turned out.

Its like the HF psychic network around here sometimes with some posters. :laugh:

Korpikoski clearly had an off year and there are reports that he was injured as well.
He has speed and some goal scoring abilities, has been great on the forecheck and he is still in his prime...that warrants an open mind in terms of what the future holds IMO.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
But Korpikoski was poor alongside Gagner, because Gagner is such a world beater that he makes everyone that plays alongside him better or something :dunno:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Forgot to add that Korpikoski is also strong on the PK.

Who knows...he might be the 2nd coming of Fernando Pisani.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
If you are trying to say that Chia = MacT then you are either out to lunch or flat out trolling.

Talbot has a better track record than Scrivens or Fasth ever did and was seen as the top trade target for goalies this offseason.

Korpikoski gives us some physical play and Korpi + Letestu >> Gordon. I guess you'd prefer the likes of Joensuu here instead of Korpi?
\i'd prefer almost any player we've had to korpikoski who is **** on a stick. About the most useless player in the NHL.

Gryba was gotten for a 4th round pick and has a one year audition period here.
Another nothing addition.

Chia's deals:

Added McLellan which was a great move
McLellan pretty much wanted to come hear and paid his own airfare after we won the the McDavid sweepstakes

Added Sekera which was a great move
Good move, not great.

Added Letestu for a reasonable deal ($1.2 million less than Gordon)
For less of a player than Gordon.

Added Korpikoski to add more depth down the lineup at the very least he's an upgrade on Klinkhammer.
FFS these are two of the most useless players in the league with zero talent. May as well have the bookend set I guess.

Added Reinhart who is a stud defense prospect that's years ahead of any D selected at the 16th or 33rd spots and he fits right into our core groups age range and right between Klefbom and Nurse age wise.
You know I liked the Reinhart deal. That showed promise. I've been disappointed with most of whats gone on since.

In essence dealt Marincin for Gryba, Gryba is a proven commodity and adds a physical element to a defense that sorely lacks that element for a defenseman that wanted out and is clearly a lesser player than Nurse, Klefbom and Reinhart who are all LHD.
Gryba looks physical playing for Ottawa in the EC. Welcome to the WC where he'll be a lot tamer than seen. Oh wait, Ference, Fayne, etc.

Traded picks for the top goalie on the trade market, considering what Lehner returned I think that he scored on this deal.
Talbot is likely another nothing and it won't take until November until people on this board, maybe even you are asking why this club didn't go out and get a bonafide #1.

Is taking Schultz to arbitration which opens up a buyout window and makes sure that Schultz doesn't hold out since he seems like a PITA in negotiations or at least his agent seems to be.
Fine with this.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
But Korpikoski was poor alongside Gagner, because Gagner is such a world beater that he makes everyone that plays alongside him better or something :dunno:

Is Gagner responsible for Korpse being one of the worst players in Phoenix 3 years running? Hanzal played very well with Gagner before getting injured. They were getting quite a run going on a bad team. Really about the most productive guys on the team in their 20 games together. Completely contrasted to that absolute uselessness of Korpikoski who was the short straw assignment on any line that nobody wanted to play with. Complete garbage hockey player. Not at all the type of bottomsix player that adds to your lineup.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'd say Reinhart turning into a new Vlasic is near to the BEST case scenario for him, lol. Vlasic is damn good.

And to be fair to Replacement I think a lot of people read his questioning of moves and an early appreciation thread are equivalent to calling for Chiarelli's head. He definitely isn't. Go read some of his old posts on Eakins if you want to see him demanding blood. ;)

Yep. perhaps people need the context of the thread, in which I'm posting these comments. "Appreciation thread" Really? For what?

Far too early.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Completely unfair.

Every year, we are excited about our marginal off-season acquisitions. A lot harder to find faults with players that you haven't seen very much. Grass is always greener as they say.

Thanks, considering I never did anything close to defending MacT and actually stated several times I'm NOT defending him the reply by BBO was weird at best.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Is Gagner responsible for Korpse being one of the worst players in Phoenix 3 years running? Hanzal played very well with Gagner before getting injured. They were getting quite a run going on a bad team. Really about the most productive guys on the team in their 20 games together. Completely contrasted to that absolute uselessness of Korpikoski who was the short straw assignment on any line that nobody wanted to play with. Complete garbage hockey player. Not at all the type of bottomsix player that adds to your lineup.
Korpikoski played through a high ankle sprain.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Korpikoski played through a high ankle sprain.

You keep repeating this. Korpse has been a nothing player since 11-12. 3 seasons of futility. Any excuses for that?

When was this "high ankle sprain" anyway. When did it actuall occur because Korpse was ****** all of last season, plus of course before that.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You know I liked the Reinhart deal. That showed promise. I've been disappointed with most of whats gone on since.

I don't get this at all. You're disappointed with adding one of the top FA defensemen and dealing a 4th liner for another one? What exactly were you expecting from Chiarelli?

Also, Letestu is not a downgrade from Gordon. Not as good on faceoffs, Gordon is slightly better defensively but Letestu is better offensively, a better skater and more versatile, can play up and down the lineup if needed and on wing or at center. Seems like a pretty even trade off for $1.2 less.

And why are you so dismissive of Talbot? Is this based on live viewings or are you just assuming he's going to fail because Scrivens and Fasth did?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
He was also a 0.40 ppg player in the season prior as well.

They're not exactly an offensive juggernaut.

I'm fine with korpi being a bust or a project.

I'd put my money on him being a useful utility player who scores 40 pts though.

Gordon was a warrior. Letestsu and lander have some shoes to fill there that is for sure.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't get this at all. You're disappointed with adding one of the top FA defensemen and dealing a 4th liner for another one? What exactly were you expecting from Chiarelli?

Also, Letestu is not a downgrade from Gordon. Not as good on faceoffs, Gordon is slightly better defensively but Letestu is better offensively, a better skater and more versatile, can play up and down the lineup if needed and on wing or at center. Seems like a pretty even trade off for $1.2 less.

And why are you so dismissive of Talbot? Is this based on live viewings or are you just assuming he's going to fail because Scrivens and Fasth did?

Sekera Is fine albeit not at all the type of D we need that is more suited for WC play. I think he'll have more struggles in this conference with the hitting and close checking. Stick check this guy and you're dead. But how many WC clubs other than us actually do that?

Letestu, big deal. Nothing addition. Give up size, give up faceoff ability. Cheaper than Gordon, so what? Gordon was one of the very few players here that was great at his role. I can't even classify this as a sideways move. We gave up the better Center.

Talbot? Hardly anybody even knows the player. 28 yr old that was unheard of as recently as a year ago. Sorry, but the OIL have been playing this game for countless years trying to get some kind of goalie. Its not just Scrivens, Fasth, its the dynamic. A team with a bunch of players that are beyond playing D, bothering to cover, that overpursue and never pick up a trailer are going to leave Talbot out to dry like anybody else. Our first concern was a shutdown D and next would be a vet established goalie that can handle huge minutes and that we know he can. Not yet another in a series of project gambles.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Gordon was a warrior. Letestsu and lander have some shoes to fill there that is for sure.

lol. If Korpikoski gets 40 pts this season, or any season here I'll stop posting on the board, never return, self imposed exile, no questions asked. Not even a bet. Just putting money where mouth is.

You could feed this dud 2mins/game PP time and he wouldn't put that up. As it was this guy was on the Yotes PP last season and barely registered. lol that Korpse had 1 EV goal all friggen season. This guy makes Belanger look like an allstar. At least Belanger was a center and took faceoffs..

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Sekera Is fine albeit not at all the type of D we need that is more suited for WC play. I think he'll have more struggles in this conference with the hitting and close checking. Stick check this guy and you're dead. But how many WC clubs other than us actually do that?

Letestu, big deal. Nothing addition. Give up size, give up faceoff ability. Cheaper than Gordon, so what? Gordon was one of the very few players here that was great at his role. I can't even classify this as a sideways move. We gave up the better Center.

Talbot? Hardly anybody even knows the player. 28 yr old that was unheard of as recently as a year ago. Sorry, but the OIL have been playing this game for countless years trying to get some kind of goalie. Its not just Scrivens, Fasth, its the dynamic. A team with a bunch of players that are beyond playing D, bothering to cover, that overpursue and never pick up a trailer are going to leave Talbot out to dry like anybody else. Our first concern was a shutdown D and next would be a vet established goalie that can handle huge minutes and that we know he can. Not yet another in a series of project gambles.
I agree that this is based on the same principle of gambles, but they are better gambles.

There are many reasons why Talbot was so sought after, while Scrivens and Fasth were not. Judging our available options, I prefer Talbot over Niemi and definitely over guys like Enroth or Neuvirth. I also think that Reinhart is a far better gamble than Marincin, and I liked Marincin. So it's just a higher class of the same thing, but I think that's the point. MacT wasn't doing bad things in principle, just in practice. We are supposed to be getting players on the rise. Good teams do take gambles, and also cut their losses when they don't work out.

I think the deal with Letestu vs Gordon is that we might have been worrying about Gordon's health, particularly his back issues. He very well may be the better player, but his time with us in a consistent role would have been running out, while Letestu is a guy who could stay here for a long time yet.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

The Oilers had one of the most immobile, offensively inept bluelines in the league, they added one of the top puckmovers on the free agent market who also happens to be solid defensively. He's exactly what the Oilers needed. What makes you think that he can't play well in the west? Because he's not a monster physically? He can't skate and transition the puck very well, that translates against any level of competition.
Who do you think would have been a better acquisition?

Give up size? I already dispelled this myth with you. They are virtually the same size, Letestu gives a little bit on height. Letestu was great at his role too. Just ask Jackets fans who were upset to lose him.
You do this all the time. You get attached to Oiler players and are completely dismissive of new players brought in. Every offseason you do this. I liked Gordon too especially his compete level but Letestu is just fine as a replacement, don't see the problem here.
Also, as I noted before, he brings more versatility to the table which I think Chia coveted. The problem with Gordon is that he's very one dimensional, solid at what he did, but didn't really push the pace at all and has no ability to move up the lineup in case of injury.

I actually agree with a lot of what you're saying in regards to the Talbot acquisition. He is a question mark as a #1 until proven otherwise. I just really like the player, saw plenty of him with the Rangers and twice live. His skillset and temperament are more conducive to potential #1 ability. Very calm, poised and even keel in net, doesn't get flustered unlike Scrivens and Fasth who are both emotional wrecks in net. I would have liked to see them add a better vet to push Talbot so I see your concerns with him having to shoulder the load for the first time in his career. It just seems that you're already giving up on him before giving him a chance.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I agree on both counts. Kudos for being open minded enough to consider Kopikoski might bounce back.

As for Letestu...he has major shoes to fill defensively but he brings a much more rounded game to the table for almost half the price.

I really like Gordon but its tough to carry 1 dimensional 4th line players at that price point. Letestu brings a much better bang for the buck.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So far the only appreciation for him is the way he is handling the media.. The moves made havent been great... He has done just what MacT has been doing... Adding more low tier declining ammo and hoping one of them rebounds... I dont buy the Gordon bad back excuse... chia wanted a RHS center and he got his man by shipping out Gordon for Purcell2.0

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad