Chiarelli Appreciation Thread

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
The fact is that the problems this team has had are still there.

The defense is still very bad. Sekera is a good addition but there just isn't any real impact players back there. Maybe Nurse/Klefbom/Reinhart can develop faster/better than expected but this is still a huge concern.

Our top forwards are still really bad defensively. Hall, Eberle, Yakupov are going to be getting big minutes and none have shown that the can be competent in their own zone. Maybe coaching with help this year, or maybe these are just bad defensive players.

I'd say goaltending has been addressed on paper so we should be stronger in that area.

McDavid, Talbot and coaching will make a difference this year. Not sure Chiarelli's other roster moves are going to have much of an impact.

Hall's all right--he does a good job pushing the play up ice, so his defensive issues are not of much concern. Hall-MacDavid-Yakupov line may be pretty dominant offensively. Pouliot-RNH-Eberle line has two defensively responsible forwards. The addition of Korpikosi and Letestu should also help with defensive match-ups. I think defense is really the only area of weakness.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The MacTavish legacy is still strong.

Nikitin, Purcell, Ference, Scrivens.

Without those anchors Chia would really improve the team.

What exactly will Korpikoski, Talbot, and Gryba end up being?

I expect more of the same.

Oh and in fairness MacT got quality players like Gordon, Hendricks, Roy, Perron (but then got rid of Perron, lol)

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The fact is that the problems this team has had are still there.

The defense is still very bad. Sekera is a good addition but there just isn't any real impact players back there. Maybe Nurse/Klefbom/Reinhart can develop faster/better than expected but this is still a huge concern.

Our top forwards are still really bad defensively. Hall, Eberle, Yakupov are going to be getting big minutes and none have shown that the can be competent in their own zone. Maybe coaching with help this year, or maybe these are just bad defensive players.

I'd say goaltending has been addressed on paper so we should be stronger in that area.

McDavid, Talbot and coaching will make a difference this year. Not sure Chiarelli's other roster moves are going to have much of an impact.

Not sure I would expect Talbot to make any major difference. Not sure why people do based on limited sample team based stats playing for the Defensive NY Rangers.

This here is a whole different Circus Talbot hasn't seen. I expect a few leaks to spring up in his game when he see's this kind of waves of incoming.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

Oh and in fairness MacT got quality players like Gordon, Hendricks, Roy, Perron (but then got rid of Perron, lol)

C'mon. Roy was on waivers. MacTavish decided to wait until he cleared and then Trade for him! lol

Roy probably won't play in the league this year.

Hendricks and Gordon are way overpaid. Perron hated MacTavish and Eakins so much that he forced a trade!

I can hardy believe you are defending MacTavish. Did you wake up this weekend and decide to argue about everything? lol.

I think that's exactly what you decided to do. I have been reading you for over a decade now. After every quiet time, you come out with guns blazing. lol

Cheers! :cheers:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
C'mon. Roy was on waivers. MacTavish decided to wait until he cleared and then Trade for him! lol

Roy probably won't play in the league this year.

Hendricks and Gordon are way overpaid. Perron hated MacTavish and Eakins so much that he forced a trade!

I can hardy believe you are defending MacTavish. Did you wake up this weekend and decide to argue about everything? lol.

I think that's exactly what you decided to do. I have been reading you for over a decade now. After every quiet time, you come out with guns blazing. lol

Cheers! :cheers:

heh, I'm not defending MacT, I'm not defending Chia. I'm used to same old and bad management and that not changing.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Perron and Hendricks are good examples.
Gordon was good but for a 4th line guy was greatly overpaid. Roy was basically picked up on waivers and he could of had him in the offseason but he let Eakins tell him no. He got Hendricks cause Nashville didn't want him and he worked out good.

Also, half those players were mid season.

Letetsu is a younger better well rounded center then Gordon. Gordon of which was looking to be on the out.

Korpse had a bad season but we needed a third line winger and if a guy in camp out plays him, then we move him or bury him in the minors.

Perron was good for a bit, then had attitude issues. Pitts loved him for a while then hated him.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
heh, I'm not defending MacT, I'm not defending Chia. I'm used to same old and bad management and that not changing.

Why is Chia bad? What has he done so poorly? He acquired Talbot for a 57th pick. Sure he overpayed for Reinhart, but he should be at least a Marc Edward Vlasic in a few years. And why would picking Barzal, a small foward, be soooo vital to this rebuild? I fail to see how Barzel's absence affects anything.
And we don't know what else he could have gotten for those picks. Newsflash! Besides MacT, not many GMs are quick to trade proven, quality, 27 year old top 4 Dmen. If u think Chia could have acquired Tsarnstrom or Josi, u r dreaming.

Sekera was a good signing. Period. Any critique of that signing is simple wrong.
Talbot has risk but a pretty good bet.
Reinhart has risk but another solid bet. I have every reason to believe that he will be more valuable than Barzel and far more needed.

We don't know if any of these these moves will work out, but we don't know if they'll fail either. So, to just label Chia as a bad manager already is jumping the gun.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Gordon was good but for a 4th line guy was greatly overpaid. Roy was basically picked up on waivers and he could of had him in the offseason but he let Eakins tell him no. He got Hendricks cause Nashville didn't want him and he worked out good.

Letetsu is a younger better well rounded center then Gordon. Gordon of which was looking to be on the out.

Korpse had a bad season but we needed a third line winger and if a guy in camp out plays him, then we move him or bury him in the minors.

Perron was good for a bit, then had attitude issues. Pitts loved him for a while then hated him.
Did MacT really let Eakins tell him what to do. Good grief. An experienced GM would have told Eakins that he wasn't the GM.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Why is Chia bad? What has he done so poorly? He acquired Talbot for a 57th pick. Sure he overpayed for Reinhart, but he should be at least a Marc Edward Vlasic in a few years. And why would picking Barzal, a small foward, be soooo vital to this rebuild? I fail to see how Barzel's absence affects anything.
And we don't know what else he could have gotten for those picks. Newsflash! Besides MacT, not many GMs are quick to trade proven, quality, 27 year old top 4 Dmen. If u think Chia could have acquired Tsarnstrom or Josi, u r dreaming.

Sekera was a good signing. Period. Any critique of that signing is simple wrong.
Reinhart has risk but another solid bet. I have every reason to believe that he will be more valuable than Barzel and far more needed.

We don't know if any of these these moves will work out, but we don't know if they'll fail either. So, to just label Chia as a bad manager already is jumping the gun.

I didn't label anything. I said I'm not defending either, nor do I think Chia is at all worthy of an appreciation thread for signing Sekera and not much else.

Talbot meh

Gryba meh

Testube meh

Korpse absolutely stinks.

I'm fine with the Reinhart deal. Has the most promise imo. I think he faltered from there.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

korpse hasn't played well in last 3 seasons and was a clear passenger in Phoenix. Talk about attitude issues.

letestu better than Gordon? Doubt it.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
korpse hasn't played well in last 3 seasons and was a clear passenger in Phoenix. Talk about attitude issues.

letestu better than Gordon? Doubt it.
Korpse played most of the season with a high ankle sprain. Those injuries will affect anyone. Remember Hall had a high ankle sprain in his rookie season and missed the rest of that season after he fought Dorsett.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

I'd say Reinhart turning into a new Vlasic is near to the BEST case scenario for him, lol. Vlasic is damn good.

And to be fair to Replacement I think a lot of people read his questioning of moves and an early appreciation thread are equivalent to calling for Chiarelli's head. He definitely isn't. Go read some of his old posts on Eakins if you want to see him demanding blood. ;)

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

You criticized MacT's every move with the same passion you now criticize Chiarelli.
MacDavid, Korpikoski, Letestu, Sekera, Reinhart, Gryba, Talbot...maybe Nurse and Draisaitl too.

That's a lot of fresh faces under a new coaching regime and there is no way of knowing how these changes affect on ice product until games are played.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
I'd say Reinhart turning into a new Vlasic is near to the BEST case scenario for him, lol. Vlasic is damn good.

And to be fair to Replacement I think a lot of people read his questioning of moves and an early appreciation thread are equivalent to calling for Chiarelli's head. He definitely isn't. Go read some of his old posts on Eakins if you want to see him demanding blood. ;)
Don't forget they should have hired Nelson instead of McLellan.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
The Oilers could be the Blackhawks and Replacement would still complain about Crawford, 3 D besides Keith/Seabrook/Hjalmersson, Kane attitude, etc.

Nothing wrong with being a perfectionist, just finds fault in everything.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

If you are trying to say that Chia = MacT then you are either out to lunch or flat out trolling.

Talbot has a better track record than Scrivens or Fasth ever did and was seen as the top trade target for goalies this offseason.

Korpikoski gives us some physical play and Korpi + Letestu >> Gordon. I guess you'd prefer the likes of Joensuu here instead of Korpi?

Gryba was gotten for a 4th round pick and has a one year audition period here.

Chia's deals:

Added McLellan which was a great move

Added Sekera which was a great move

Added Letestu for a reasonable deal ($1.2 million less than Gordon)

Added Korpikoski to add more depth down the lineup at the very least he's an upgrade on Klinkhammer.

Added Reinhart who is a stud defense prospect that's years ahead of any D selected at the 16th or 33rd spots and he fits right into our core groups age range and right between Klefbom and Nurse age wise.

In essence dealt Marincin for Gryba, Gryba is a proven commodity and adds a physical element to a defense that sorely lacks that element for a defenseman that wanted out and is clearly a lesser player than Nurse, Klefbom and Reinhart who are all LHD.

Traded picks for the top goalie on the trade market, considering what Lehner returned I think that he scored on this deal.

Is taking Schultz to arbitration which opens up a buyout window and makes sure that Schultz doesn't hold out since he seems like a PITA in negotiations or at least his agent seems to be.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
If you are trying to say that Chia = MacT then you are either out to lunch or flat out trolling.

Talbot has a better track record than Scrivens or Fasth ever did and was seen as the top trade target for goalies this offseason.

Korpikoski gives us some physical play and Korpi + Letestu >> Gordon. I guess you'd prefer the likes of Joensuu here instead of Korpi?

Chia's deals:

Added Korpikoski to add more depth down the lineup at the very least he's an upgrade on Klinkhammer.

Added Reinhart who is a stud defense prospect that's years ahead of any D selected at the 16th or 33rd spots and he fits right into our core groups age range and right between Klefbom and Nurse age wise.

In essence dealt Marincin for Gryba, Gryba is a proven commodity and adds a physical element to a defense that sorely lacks that element for a defenseman that wanted out and is clearly a lesser player than Nurse, Klefbom and Reinhart who are all LHD.

Traded picks for the top goalie on the trade market, considering what Lehner returned I think that he scored on this deal.

Is taking Schultz to arbitration which opens up a buyout window and makes sure that Schultz doesn't hold out since he seems like a PITA in negotiations or at least his agent seems to be.

Mmm, I don't know about that. Marincin has played in the NHL and has done a decent enough job playing close to 20 mins a night most of the time. Klefbom is arguably already better, but Reinhart and Nurse have proven squat at this time. It is clear, however, that the management does not think much of Marincin. This is true of both MacT and Chiarelli regimes. I guess we'll see if Leafs'GM looks like a genius a couple of years from now or Marincin simply proves the Oilers were right.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004

Chia's deals:

Completely unfair.

Every year, we are excited about our marginal off-season acquisitions. A lot harder to find faults with players that you haven't seen very much. Grass is always greener as they say.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Mmm, I don't know about that. Marincin has played in the NHL and has done a decent enough job playing close to 20 mins a night most of the time. Klefbom is arguably already better, but Reinhart and Nurse have proven squat at this time. It is clear, however, that the management does not think much of Marincin. This is true of both MacT and Chiarelli regimes. I guess we'll see if Leafs'GM looks like a genius a couple of years from now or Marincin simply proves the Oilers were right.

Marincin is a guy that I'm not losing any sleep over. Nurse will be better of that I have no doubt, the same can be said of Reinhart. Marincin hasn't shown enough improvement to warrant a spot in the top 4 here going forward and I'd sooner have a physical 3rd pairing guy than him on the 3rd pairing.

Completely unfair.

Every year, we are excited about our marginal off-season acquisitions. A lot harder to find faults with players that you haven't seen very much. Grass is always greener as they say.

What do you take issue with so that I can reply to specific points?

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Marincin is a guy that I'm not losing any sleep over. Nurse will be better of that I have no doubt, the same can be said of Reinhart. Marincin hasn't shown enough improvement to warrant a spot in the top 4 here going forward and I'd sooner have a physical 3rd pairing guy than him on the 3rd pairing.

I think if all goes well, he will become a Petry type d-man in a couple of years. If not, he will be playing in Europe after his current contract. He's a good project, but the Oilers may not have been in the position to wait on him. I understand this part. Leafs are re-building and this may be the perfect spot for Marincin to prove his mettle under a good coach. If he can't cut it,he has himself alone to blame.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I didn't label anything. I said I'm not defending either, nor do I think Chia is at all worthy of an appreciation thread for signing Sekera and not much else.

Talbot meh

Gryba meh

Testube meh

Korpse absolutely stinks.

I'm fine with the Reinhart deal. Has the most promise imo. I think he faltered from there.

Ok fair enough. I'm with u on the premature appreciation thread.

Not sure why the Talbot acquisition gets a meh. What goilie could he have gotten that is any better? There r only a hanful of goalies that aren't meh, and none r available.

Anyways. No biggie. Cheers

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004

Mainly your assessments of Gryba and Korpikoski. We have tried adding toughness every year and ever year the fans get excited at the thought. Then reality sets in and we find out the players we brought in just aren't very good.

Everybody expected Ference to bring toughness to the team and he is/was a much better dman than Gryba has ever been. If Ference flopped so badly here, what hope is there for Gryba?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad