Confirmed with Link: [CHI/VAN] Gustav Forsling traded for Adam Clendening

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This is certainly one way to justify a trade where you know nothing about either player.

Laughable logic here.....all you had to do to get a line on Forsling was to watch the WJC on TV.....guy is an 18-year old d-man playing regularly in the top tier Swedish pro league against guys 10 years older....was an all-star in the WJC....here's a triva question for you, when was the last fifth rounder to be drafted by the Canucks who was voted one of the two best d-men at the WJC?...a hint...none....Clendening may grade out higher than Forsling today, but if over the next few years Forsling keeps on improving at the same rate as the year he was drafted by the 'Nucks, then the Hawks win this deal big-time.:(

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
Laughable logic here.....all you had to do to get a line on Forsling was to watch the WJC on TV.....guy is an 18-year old d-man playing regularly in the top tier Swedish pro league against guys 10 years older....was an all-star in the WJC....here's a triva question for you, when was the last fifth rounder to be drafted by the Canucks who was voted one of the two best d-men at the WJC?...a hint...none....Clendening may grade out higher than Forsling today, but if over the next few years Forsling keeps on improving at the same rate as the year he was drafted by the 'Nucks, then the Hawks win this deal big-time.:(

this thread is funny--we fighting and argue over pennies

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
There's no argument for chicago winning this trade ever unless forsling becomes karlsson.

Canucks need clendenings skillset right now way more than they need forslings chance of making the NHL in 4-5 years.

Nov 1, 2011

Put it into context though. Forsling got on because he put up a lot of points. His coach didn't put him on the top pair and he looked very weak defensively....when he got back, he was no longer being played as a top 4 guy in the SEL.

He has potential but also some major holes.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
There's no argument for chicago winning this trade ever unless forsling becomes karlsson.

Canucks need clendenings skillset right now way more than they need forslings chance of making the NHL in 4-5 years.

Super promising 18 year-olds tend to have more value than expendable deemed 22 year-old third-year-pros. That's the argument.

Don't disagree that the Canucks need help ASAP and that's obviously the intent here with skipping few years of player development but... in the end they are hoping for a quick fix and targeting these kind of players rarely works. That's because there's actual on-ice reasons why the veys, clendenings and pedans are traded, unlike with the forslings.

Ubik

Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver
This was a tough trade to swallow so soon after the WJHC. Forsling's ceiling is high. However, he does have holes that could hold him back from a successful NHL career. Defensively weak and undersized Forsling possess' an offensive skillset. He has a high hockey IQ, a great first pass and skates like a forward.

Clendening from all signs has a similar skillset as Forsling, but is 4 years ahead in his development. He has been able to bring his defensive game to a level that has him in an NHL role.

This trade will look great for the Canucks in a year or two if Clendening can find his way into the Top 4 on the backend. Forsling is still 4-5 years away. Hindsight could turn this into a trade we will all look back on 6-7 years from now and judge as a fail. There is merit to both sides of that argument when and if it comes.

I will leave it at this though, if Benning and Linden draft the way they did this past year. In 5 years, we will have piled up enough defensive depth that this trade just might not have the impact we have placed on it already.

And let's be honest, a 5th rounder a year after he was drafted for a 2nd round 22 year old NHL defensemen: is a good deal.

Last edited:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Ceiling:

Forsling >= Clendenning

Risk:

Forsling >> Clendenning

Name:

Forsling>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Clendenning

Swedishness

Forsling >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Clendenning

we lost the trade

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Ceiling:

Forsling >= Clendenning

Risk:

Forsling << Clendenning

Name:

Swedishness

we lost the trade

Humour aside, you have the 'risk' gators facing the wrong way. Risk is on Forsling, not Clendening.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Forsling did have a great WJC but there are still holes in his game and remember he's a recent 5th round pick. How many would be willing to deal a 5th round pick for Clendening? Of course Forsling play probably improve his value over a 5th round pick now, which actually makes Forsling a great pick. Even if we "make a mistake" trading him, its really playing with house money since its value we gained in a very short time from a 5th round pick.

Realistically we won't know how well Forsling develops in the next few years and even if he develops, another question is rather or not he'll develop in our system. Remember in recent years we have been horrible at developing dmans. Andersson was hyped up like Forsling when he came over and over the last few years his "ceiling" now looks like a bottom pairing/depth dman instead of top 4.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think posters should stop trying to justify the trade based on the fact Forsling is a 5th round pick. Draft position doesn't matter. As much as teams like to say they draft best player available, teams take into account the likely draft position of certain players. The fact is Forsling's draft position was affected by his lack of track record against men and his peers. Forsling showed what he could do this year and his value increased. Forsling is likely worth a 3rd round pick at the time of the trade. Clendening certainly isn't worth a 2nd.

Would you trade Forsling for a 3rd? I wouldn't. Would you trade a 3rd for Clendening? Ya why not. Forsling for Clendening? Alright let's see what Clendening can do.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Genuine question: Aside from the fact he'splaying in it, is there anything exceptional about Forsling's SHL season so far? Goals and point accumulation in the SHL is so subdued that it's hard to take anything away from his point totals. My impression from some is that he's not exactly getting great usage from his coach, which makes the "he's playing in a men's league right now," argument somewhat misleading.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
Ceiling:

Forsling >= Clendenning

Risk:

Forsling >> Clendenning

Name:

Swedishness

we lost the trade

I'd rather have an American over Swede. It hasn't been working so far with the Swedes.

Kmode

Nov 3, 2006
I'd rather have an American over Swede. It hasn't been working so far with the Swedes.

Off the top of my head....

Canucks from Sweden:

Naslund
Sedin
Sedin
Edler
Ohlund

Canucks from U.S:

Kesler
Higgins
Bonino
Miller

I'd say our track records with Swedes are a little better than Americans

Kmode

Nov 3, 2006
Off the top of my head....

Canucks from Sweden:

Naslund
Sedin
Sedin
Edler
Ohlund

Canucks from U.S:

Kesler
Higgins
Bonino
Miller

I'd say our track records with Swedes are a little better than Americans

Furthermore, many of the Swedish players mentioned above were drafted by the Canucks while only Kesler was drafted of the Americans.

I should clarify though, that despite this list, I think the trade was a smart one for the Canucks at the time. Clendening has proven he is NHL ready - he hasn't really stuck out to me as good or bad - and with the injuries we've had on the backend he's become quite useful. If we didn't have him we'd be playing Sanguinetti or Biega right now....

Forsling may become a good player down the road, but this is a trade the Canucks could afford to make. Sure, he was one of the only bright spots in an already bare cupboard of defensive prospects, but he wouldn't even be considered for the lineup for AT LEAST 3 years. Clendening can help now and we are in the midst of a heated playoff race.

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
So far Clendening has looked good in a Canucks jersey. I've seen on numerous occasions creative offensive moves. Also have not seen many breakdowns defensively. I like the idea of pairing him with Hamhuis. I think Benning did well here.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
So far Clendening has looked good in a Canucks jersey. I've seen on numerous occasions creative offensive moves. Also have not seen many breakdowns defensively. I like the idea of pairing him with Hamhuis. I think Benning did well here.

Clendenning needs work defensively. Even now, when his play has been pretty conservative. Has to be quicker to things and harder on the puck. Skating holds him back somewhat.

Offensively, it will come down to PP conversion. Bottom line. A player like this doesn't stay in the league if he can't be a plus addition to the PP. That's where he'll make his living.

2nd unit PP needs a shot in the arm past Bonino and Clendenning. Long overdue.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Clendenning needs work defensively. Even now, when his play has been pretty conservative. Has to be quicker to things and harder on the puck. Skating holds him back somewhat.

Offensively, it will come down to PP conversion. Bottom line. A player like this doesn't stay in the league if he can't be a plus addition to the PP. That's where he'll make his living.

2nd unit PP needs a shot in the arm past Bonino and Clendenning. Long overdue.

Every rookie defender's defence needs work. Clendening's hasn't been nearly as bad as I expected. Also not afraid to use his body, and even a bit of feistiness in his game.

Bottom line, he brings pure offensive creativity to our blueline, something we've needed since Gillis let Ehrhoff walk. Can't make any sort of definitive judgement on Clendening at this point, but I've been happy with his play to date. Considering age and handedness and over all skill set, good addition by Benning.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Every rookie defender's defence needs work. Clendening's hasn't been nearly as bad as I expected. Also not afraid to use his body, and even a bit of feistiness in his game.

Bottom line, he brings pure offensive creativity to our blueline, something we've needed since Gillis let Ehrhoff walk. Can't make any sort of definitive judgement on Clendening at this point, but I've been happy with his play to date. Considering age and handedness and over all skill set, good addition by Benning.

So far so good.

ARSix

Mar 12, 2012
Forsling is likely worth a 3rd round pick at the time of the trade. Clendening certainly isn't worth a 2nd.
Not sure I agree with the latter point. Clendening looks like, at least, a legitimate 5-6-7 NHL defenseman right now, without any further improvement and if you never gave him a chance to do anything different. In other words, he's already at least as good as Weber.

Given the rate at which 2nd round picks turn out, if you get a depth defenseman for your NHL roster, you've met expectations with that pick. Clendening is already there, plus he has great upside to become considerably more.

I have no complaints about his play to date given my expectations going in. The guy is everything he was sold as - passable but unremarkable skater, excellent vision and puck-moving skill, and an ability to change angles to get pucks through with his shot, which is good but not spectacular. The Ehrhoff comparison in terms of potential isn't too far off.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not sure I agree with the latter point. Clendening looks like, at least, a legitimate 5-6-7 NHL defenseman right now, without any further improvement and if you never gave him a chance to do anything different. In other words, he's already at least as good as Weber.

Given the rate at which 2nd round picks turn out, if you get a depth defenseman for your NHL roster, you've met expectations with that pick. Clendening is already there, plus he has great upside to become considerably more.

I have no complaints about his play to date given my expectations going in. The guy is everything he was sold as - passable but unremarkable skater, excellent vision and puck-moving skill, and an ability to change angles to get pucks through with his shot, which is good but not spectacular. The Ehrhoff comparison in terms of potential isn't too far off.

And Bobby Sanguinetti is a legitimate 5-6-7 guy, whom they could have brought up for free and held on to Forsling.....just can't understand whey the guy gets no respect.:(

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
And Bobby Sanguinetti is a legitimate 5-6-7 guy, whom they could have brought up for free and held on to Forsling.....just can't understand whey the guy gets no respect.:(

Presumably the thinking is that at 22 Clendening is still developing while Sanguinetti at nearly 27 has peaked as a fringe NHLer/regular AHLer. Don't make the mistake of assuming only Forsling has room left in his ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad