Confirmed with Link: [CHI/VAN] Gustav Forsling traded for Adam Clendening

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARSix

Mar 12, 2012
I do agree that I would've liked to see Sanguinetti up here at some point though.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Saw a lot of people saying that Forsling's hype was more than just a result of a strong WJC and also becuase he had been outstanding in the SHL at a young age. Had a look, and while I don't claim to follow the SHL that closely, it seems that the reports of a bit lesser of a league may be true. First of all, Jeff Taffe leads the SHL in scoring, and there seems to be a boon of teenage defenders in the league...

There are several 17-19 year old defenceman playing in the league and a handful have played a significant role other than Forsling. Some at an even younger age.

Kylington, Aho and Carlsson have been regulars for their clubs and aren't draft eligible until June. HV71's Cederholm is apparently playing a regular shift now and isn't draft eligible till 2016...

Along with Forsling, Pettersson, Johansson, Hansson and Mattsson are all playing in the SHL after being drafted in 2014. There are also 1-3 19 year olds on every team's defensive core. Seems to be a lot more youngsters in that league in general this year.

If we're just going by age/stats in the SHL, look out for Kylington (obviously) and Aho.

Definitley progressed from being a 5th round pick, but I think a guy like Mattsson has done the same after being a 6th rounder (Calgary), minus the WJC peformance. Basically my point is that I don't see Forsling head and shoulders above the rest of the teenage SHL defenders, he definitely increased his stock in a hurry, but I don't think we're talking about a blue-chipper here nessicarily either. Probably an even lower likleihood of being a top 4, PP defender at the NHL level than Clendening, but I would also say his skill set opens the possibility of him reaching star status, which is why Chicago makes this deal.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Given the rate at which 2nd round picks turn out, if you get a depth defenseman for your NHL roster, you've met expectations with that pick. Clendening is already there, plus he has great upside to become considerably more.

Very few teams try to draft a depth defenseman with their 2nd round pick. It is certainly not an "expectation" with that pick. You think LA was thinking they traded Vey for to draft someone they expect to be a depth defenseman? No.

I am not saying that Clendening doesn't have upside. He was certainly drafted in the 2nd round because Chicago believed he had top 4 upside. But the way the NHL works is that if you fail to crack the NHL lineup after a few times your value tends to drop. Clendening's top 4 upside in the NHL has taken a big hit from when he was drafted in the 2nd round. Hence he is not worth a 2nd round pick despite the fact he was drafted in the 2nd round.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Very few teams try to draft a depth defenseman with their 2nd round pick. It is certainly not an "expectation" with that pick. You think LA was thinking they traded Vey for to draft someone they expect to be a depth defenseman? No.

I am not saying that Clendening doesn't have upside. He was certainly drafted in the 2nd round because Chicago believed he had top 4 upside. But the way the NHL works is that if you fail to crack the NHL lineup after a few times your value tends to drop. Clendening's top 4 upside in the NHL has taken a big hit from when he was drafted in the 2nd round. Hence he is not worth a 2nd round pick despite the fact he was drafted in the 2nd round.

I disagree with this a bit. His value was low because they were going to lose him next year. I don't think Chicago would have taken a second for him if they could have kept him. Value is a relative term. I doubt other teams would have paid a higher price, so his value is or was artificially low.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Saw a lot of people saying that Forsling's hype was more than just a result of a strong WJC and also becuase he had been outstanding in the SHL at a young age. Had a look, and while I don't claim to follow the SHL that closely, it seems that the reports of a bit lesser of a league may be true. First of all, Jeff Taffe leads the SHL in scoring, and there seems to be a boon of teenage defenders in the league...

There are several 17-19 year old defenceman playing in the league and a handful have played a significant role other than Forsling. Some at an even younger age.

Kylington, Aho and Carlsson have been regulars for their clubs and aren't draft eligible until June. HV71's Cederholm is apparently playing a regular shift now and isn't draft eligible till 2016...

Along with Forsling, Pettersson, Johansson, Hansson and Mattsson are all playing in the SHL after being drafted in 2014. There are also 1-3 19 year olds on every team's defensive core. Seems to be a lot more youngsters in that league in general this year.

If we're just going by age/stats in the SHL, look out for Kylington (obviously) and Aho.

Definitley progressed from being a 5th round pick, but I think a guy like Mattsson has done the same after being a 6th rounder (Calgary), minus the WJC peformance. Basically my point is that I don't see Forsling head and shoulders above the rest of the teenage SHL defenders, he definitely increased his stock in a hurry, but I don't think we're talking about a blue-chipper here nessicarily either. Probably an even lower likleihood of being a top 4, PP defender at the NHL level than Clendening, but I would also say his skill set opens the possibility of him reaching star status, which is why Chicago makes this deal.

I think it's not where he currently stands in context that is the concern, but the rate of improvement in the several months from the draft until now.

If he continues to improve at the rate he's improved, he has super high potential.

It could turn out to be an excellent "sell-high" move, or could bite Benning in the butt if his rate of improvement continues.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I think it's not where he currently stands in context that is the concern, but the rate of improvement in the several months from the draft until now.

If he continues to improve at the rate he's improved, he has super high potential.

It could turn out to be an excellent "sell-high" move, or could bite Benning in the butt if his rate of improvement continues.

That's certainly a risk anytime you deal a prospect, heck even Jordan Schroeder could magically figure his game out and make Benning look bad. The difficulty with Forsling - and why I think there is so much angst around what looks on the surface to be a solid deal - is the extreme level of 'mystery' in his development in the last 6 months. He is being viewed by some as a potential lottery ticket - a chance at millions - traded for a $20 bill. And I acknowledge that is certainly a risk (though I would suggest it is fairly slight) however I think people are at the same time selling Clendening short. He isn't a 26 yo Yannick Weber or a Bobby Sanguinetti. His pedigree at the moment is much higher than Forsling's and Forsling is a long-shot even now to put up the nearly 60 points at the AHL level that Clendening did just a season ago. Sure, maybe that lottery ticket hits and we do regret it, but I see a lot of posters inflating the odds to levels that they weren't doing before we traded the ticket.

Skriko

Jul 27, 2014
Saw a lot of people saying that Forsling's hype was more than just a result of a strong WJC and also becuase he had been outstanding in the SHL at a young age. Had a look, and while I don't claim to follow the SHL that closely, it seems that the reports of a bit lesser of a league may be true.
Well, SHL is more development league than KHL for example. Forsling isn't there any rare talent when we look to his whole overall game, but he is still a good young defenseman with great shot. I really liked watch his game and those young defensemans usually don't play there 20 minutes in night (what Forsling got some night in this season), but in many games he was Linköping 3:rd pair defenseman too. He has still talent, but his NHL upside is full of questions.

I like SHL style what comes to with young defenseman development. In SHL they give all defensemans much puck-control. They give allow to make defensemans mistakes too (more than example in SM-Liiga), if they can play puck-control game. Many Finnish defenseman have say very positive things about SHL coaches. They like those coaches because in SHL they can play puck-control game much better than here in SM-Liiga where rinks are smaller and coach want minimize defensemans mistakes.

In generally, SHL isn't anymore what that was ten year ago, but it's still a good league. For example, there were in Champions hockey league final two Swedish team (Luleä and Frölunda).

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I disagree with this a bit. His value was low because they were going to lose him next year. I don't think Chicago would have taken a second for him if they could have kept him. Value is a relative term. I doubt other teams would have paid a higher price, so his value is or was artificially low.

I don't think we are really disagreeing. The fact that Clendening has thus far failed to crack the NHL full time makes affects his value because he might never and if he doesn't make it next season (which is no guarantee) he may be lost to waivers.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I don't think we are really disagreeing. The fact that Clendening has thus far failed to crack the NHL full time makes affects his value because he might never and if he doesn't make it next season (which is no guarantee) he may be lost to waivers.

I don't think it's fair to say he has "failed" to crack the NHL thus far, he's only played 8 NHL games and has a goal and three points with a +3 rating. So far so good. I think it's more fair to say that he is no lock to take advantage of his first real shot at the NHL.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I want to revisit this trade seeing as the season has ended.

Next year Clendenning will require waivers and I don't think he is remotely NHL ready.

Whereas Forsling was the 9th highest scoring under 19 year old in the SHL. (2nd in under 19 defenseman scoring)

Before I thought we won the trade quiet handily, now I'm starting to think we lost this trade pretty bad...

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006

Next year Clendenning will require waivers and I don't think he is remotely NHL ready.

Whereas Forsling was the 9th highest scoring under 19 year old in the SHL. (2nd in under 19 defenseman scoring)

Before I thought we won the trade quiet handily, now I'm starting to think we lost this trade pretty bad...

Forsling had a monster WJC and was tearing up the SHL as a youngster, I never understood why we traded him for what would at best, be a lateral move.

It would be one thing if we sold high on him and got someone of higher value, but we simply didn't.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Forsling had a monster WJC and was tearing up the SHL as a youngster, I never understood why we traded him for what would at best, be a lateral move.

It would be one thing if we sold high on him and got someone of higher value, but we simply didn't.

I hope we don't wind up accelerating laterally. That sounds dangerous.

van22

May 25, 2014

To get an idea of his production - this is his stat line in Sweden this season playing in the SHL. He didn't play past mid-February (maybe injured?).

38 games: 3G 3A for 6pts in total, +3, 17:24 TOI, 5% Shooting percentage (60 SOG), 6 hits, 8 PIM and 29 blocked shots,
1:11 TOI on the PK (4 goals against), 1:37 TOI on the PP (no points but his unit scored 6 times and their opponent once).

I guess it depends how you count age because the SHL stat page has him as 16th in the "junior age class" scoring behind players like Nylander, Fiala, Vrana, Kempe, Eriksson Ek (but they are mostly forwards) and 4th in D. http://www.shl.se/statistics/players/summary/TP/2014/SHL/All/Junior/All/All/All/All/dec

What I don't understand about Clendening is that his first two years in the AHL were impressive stat wise - 59pts in 74 games a season ago (on the first all-star team after being on the 2nd in his 1st year) and this year only 18pts in 49 regular season AHL games (8pts in 23 play-off games). http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=20714
Any one have an explanation as it seems like he took a step back?

Last edited:

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
How pissed is Gradin that he has no sway anymore and the great pick he made gets traded for a D version of Vey?

Gradin will probably get the boot similarly to Crawford sooner than later.

Can't have guys who actually know what they're doing on the scouting staff.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Gradin will probably get the boot similarly to Crawford sooner than later.

Can't have guys who actually know what they're doing on the scouting staff.

Not sure who theyd have in place but Gradin was absolid trooper for us as a player and has done a pretty decent job it seems as a scout.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
6 points in 38 is tearing it up? Compare that to the 18 year old Holmstrom (although a forward) who just led the SHL playoffs with 18 points in 15 games and set records doing so.

I do think there is upside with Forsling, but he really hasn't proven squat yet.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
It will be 5 years before we really know who won this trade....it was worth the gamble IMO.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
It was a case of piss poor scouting. Clendening is small, slow and weak. He takes bad penalties. I can't say we lost the trade since we don't know what Forsling will be. IMO it's clear we won't win it.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
How do we know that Clendening isn't NHL ready? He looked okay in his limited games last season, he'll be expected to build on that this season. With another offseason of training to work on his faults, I'm optimistic that he will show himself as a viable NHL defenseman with upside. I think by the end of this season we'll know whether we lost this trade or not, because if Clendening doesn't show signs of top 4 potential then in my eyes we lost the trade regardless of how Forsling does.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
How do we know that Clendening isn't NHL ready? He looked okay in his limited games last season, he'll be expected to build on that this season. With another offseason of training to work on his faults, I'm optimistic that he will show himself as a viable NHL defenseman with upside. I think by the end of this season we'll know whether we lost this trade or not, because if Clendening doesn't show signs of top 4 potential then in my eyes we lost the trade regardless of how Forsling does.

Utica fans haven't been high on Clendening at all. Towards the end of the Utica playoff run, many were saying he was probably their worst dman. Given what I saw of Clendening in my viewings of Utica, I'm inclined to agree he was rather underwhelming as a Comet.

But who knows? AHL is AHL and NHL is NHL. He did look passable in his stint up with the Canucks.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
It remains to be seen if Forsling amounts to anything, but by all accounts Clendening is nowhere close to ready for the NHL - which is unfortunate due to the fact that he is waver eligible next season.

I get that BenBrodEn wanted to accelerate the timeline of their prospects, but Clendening was a piss poor scouting job. He can't skate, his pivots are abysmal, he's small, and he takes stupid bad penalties. His hard passes and wrist shots from the point don't come close to making up for his inadequacies.

Look to Weber for an undersized guy that is a reasonable enough offensive dman, able to make up for his size with some grit and good skating.

Clendening is just a head shaker in my opinion.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Clendening, Baertshi and Pedan are all young players that were deemed 'expendable' by the GM's of their respective teams, for which Benning traded picks and prospects....Maybe he is some of sort of 'talent guru' who acquired these guys as the bottom of the market and fleeced his fellow GM's.....on the other hand...based on 'early returns' I know which way I'm leaning....Baertshi had a decent AHL playoff, but is still a huge question mark at the NHL level....of the other two guys...one is smaller and slow, the other is big but with a concussion history...better off to kept the draft picks imo.:shakehead

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
I haven't seen any of these guys play except Clendening for a few games. I doubt any of you have either. SO THEY MUST SUCK?! Yes this is logic in Vancouver.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I haven't seen any of these guys play except Clendening for a few games. I doubt any of you have either. SO THEY MUST SUCK?! Yes this is logic in Vancouver.

Doesn't really matter what anyone thinks, the only opinion that matters is Benning...and he's the same guy who thought Sbisa had the 'talent' to justify an expensive three-year contract...maybe he's right about these guys, but based on what's happened this spring you have to wonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad