Confirmed with Link: [CHI/VAN] Gustav Forsling traded for Adam Clendening

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
I have no idea who the scout was who scouted Clendening. But the Forsling deal is looking worse and worse.

The only good thing about having Clendening in our lineup next year, is he is going to lose us games.

He is slow and small, and he can't skate. He ices the puck constantly under pressure with no regard. And he won't take the hit to make the play.

The silver lining is he can shoot the puck.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I have no idea who the scout was who scouted Clendening. But the Forsling deal is looking worse and worse.

The only good thing about having Clendening in our lineup next year, is he is going to lose us games.

He is slow and small, and he can't skate. He ices the puck constantly under pressure with no regard. And he won't take the hit to make the play.

The silver lining is he can shoot the puck.
The silver lining is that defensemen tend to develope into their late 20s

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
It's looking like more and more pressure on Clendening this season. Make or break time soon. Good thing is he is still quite young but parting with Forsling was not that small a gamble.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Ah, but he can fire his intagibles into his opponents' eyes, and once they are blinded, he can character the puck into the net!

The silver lining is that defensemen tend to develope into their late 20s
I'm pretty sure this has been shown not to be true. I mean everyone, at every position, continues to develop incrementally as they gain experience, but in terms of becoming noticeably better in relation to one's peers... not everyone is on what the team imagines is the "Sbisa track", destined to be an NHL all-star by the time his jubilee year in the league rolls around. Most of the NHL's star defensemen were good very early in their careers, and a lot of the guys who surfaced late were passed over due to size and the like.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I'm pretty sure this has been shown not to be true. I mean everyone, at every position, continues to develop incrementally as they gain experience, but in terms of becoming noticeably better in relation to one's peers... not everyone is on what the team imagines is the "Sbisa track", destined to be an NHL all-star by the time his jubilee year in the league rolls around. Most of the NHL's star defensemen were good very early in their careers, and a lot of the guys who surfaced late were passed over due to size and the like.

Yeah, that argument is ridiculous and completely false.

The one thing that every eventually good player has in common is that they constantly keep trending upwards. Some start later than others (Burrows, Tanev), but if a player starts flatlining in his development he's most likely going to be a dud.

Sbisa has shown zero meaningful progress during his long pro career. Clendening's development seemed to hit wall last season (hence Chicago gave up on him). Jensen has been that for a couple of seasons now. Shinkaruk is on the fence. Virtanen is concerning.

That hasn't happened with Forsling yet.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Clendening simply isn't an NHL level skater, so unless he's able to drastically improve that facet of his game over the summer, he'll continue to get walked around with ease. Just don't see him as a regular with that glaring weakness.

However, the price was right which is why I still don't mind the trade. We needed bodies and he'll likely be a regular 7-8 guy which almost any team would take for a 5th rounder.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think there's a good chance one or two of the 'Nucks young d-prospects will out-play him at training camp....then it'll be up to Benning and Dejardins to make good on their promise that the best guys will be in the lineup on opening night, regardless of their contract status....'Nucks may have to risk putting him on waivers to get him back down to Utica where he belongs.:(

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Clendening simply isn't an NHL level skater, so unless he's able to drastically improve that facet of his game over the summer, he'll continue to get walked around with ease. Just don't see him as a regular with that glaring weakness.

However, the price was right which is why I still don't mind the trade. We needed bodies and he'll likely be a regular 7-8 guy which almost any team would take for a 5th rounder.

In his first couple weeks here, he did show NHL caliber puck moving and transition game...

We got him when we became dreadful transitioning the puck after Hamhuis went down. He came in had a solid honeymoon period of a couple weeks when he really made a difference with puck movement. Even earned some PP time as well...

Then he became less effective, and then bodies became healthy. He showed promise while up here for the first half of his total NHL stint... He didn't impress in the A.. but let's see what work he puts in over the summer...

He's not a player or transaction that deserves to be blasted just yet. He's already shown capable of handling NHL ice time... he just has to progress now and develop his skating and reliability. 2nd part will come with experience.. the first part with hard work.. let's see if he has it in him to mitigate the deficiency.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
This trade still makes no sense whyd we help out chicago so much there are enemy? Forsling or whatever is all ready becoming a star and every one saw it so benning trades him to a enemy for a depth dman who cant be even better then y weber like what is benning thinking does he secretly here to destroy the team

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I wouldn't have made this trade personally, but I think some posters are getting pretty carried away here. He kept his head above water (+1) in 17 NHL games last year and I don't remember him continuing to "get walked around with ease" so I don't know why he would be such a pylon next year. Pretty mixed results for Utica from all reports, but scored some big goals and was relied on. You'd think he was ventilated out of pro hockey reading this stuff.

There were several young defenseman in the SHL that did pretty well, just like Forsling, so why are we anointing him "all ready becoming a star" (it's 'already')? He's a pretty raw prospect that had a good WJC. And a very long way from becoming and NHL star player.

Again, I wouldn't have done this deal personally, I think the Canucks should be keeping young assets and thinking long-term, but the level of animosity towards Clendening and his play last season are getting carried away. We all hate Benning, doesn't mean every player he has traded for is beer league caliber.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I wouldn't have made this trade personally, but I think some posters are getting pretty carried away here. He kept his head above water (+1) in 17 NHL games last year and I don't remember him continuing to "get walked around with ease" so I don't know why he would be such a pylon next year. Pretty mixed results for Utica from all reports, but scored some big goals and was relied on. You'd think he was ventilated out of pro hockey reading this stuff.

There were several young defenseman in the SHL that did pretty well, just like Forsling, so why are we anointing him "all ready becoming a star" (it's 'already')? He's a pretty raw prospect that had a good WJC. And a very long way from becoming and NHL star player.

Again, I wouldn't have done this deal personally, I think the Canucks should be keeping young assets and thinking long-term, but the level of animosity towards Clendening and his play last season are getting carried away. We all hate Benning, doesn't mean every player he has traded for is beer league caliber.

Nothing against Clendening....if the guy had to spend another year in the AHL learning how to skate and compete, so be it...the problem is that he's virtually guarantied a spot on the NHL roster because he has to clear waivers and GM can't risk looking bad by having him claimed....for that reason alone, it's a 'bad deal' and the real reason why the Hawks unloaded him and got an asset back they feel has a much higher ceiling...thanks Jimbo:shakehead

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver

Ha ha, it's not animosity or an attack on Benning, it's calling it the way I see it. Watched him play more than a few games live as well as all the ones on TV and he was a pylon nearly every night. The Blues game in March especially sticks out in my memory.

Effective AHLer but I doubt he'll be an NHL regular unless he really improves his skating. Could happen, but I wouldn't put money on it. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

I remember when you could share an opinion on this site about a player without being called a Benning apologist or a Benning hater... that was fun.:laugh:

skywarp75

May 19, 2009
its obvious clendenning has some sweet passing skills, but i sure hope he shows more than that next year in the show.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I think there's a good chance one or two of the 'Nucks young d-prospects will out-play him at training camp....then it'll be up to Benning and Dejardins to make good on their promise that the best guys will be in the lineup on opening night, regardless of their contract status....'Nucks may have to risk putting him on waivers to get him back down to Utica where he belongs.:(

Like who? Corrado is already on the team due to waivers. Pedan, maybe. But he doesn't have to clear waivers so he'd have to really, really outplay a couple of guys to risk losing some depth on waivers. Like he'd have to be one of the 4 best guys imo, otherwise he's our first call up.

If you're thinking Subban or Hutton, well sure I'll never say there's no chance. But imo I expect both to need a couple of years in the AHL before they're ready. Again, not saying there's absolutely zero chance, but we're talking like 4 or 5 degrees Kelvin of a chance. If you mean Cederholm or McEnemy, I give them even less of a chance.

We have two blueliners that will be playing their rookie seasons, ready or not (Corrado and Clenndenninng) and maybe Pedan ready for call up duty. There's really no one available that's going to outplay either C imo.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Like who? Corrado is already on the team due to waivers. Pedan, maybe. But he doesn't have to clear waivers so he'd have to really, really outplay a couple of guys to risk losing some depth on waivers. Like he'd have to be one of the 4 best guys imo, otherwise he's our first call up.

If you're thinking Subban or Hutton, well sure I'll never say there's no chance. But imo I expect both to need a couple of years in the AHL before they're ready. Again, not saying there's absolutely zero chance, but we're talking like 4 or 5 degrees Kelvin of a chance. If you mean Cederholm or McEnemy, I give them even less of a chance.

We have two blueliners that will be playing their rookie seasons, ready or not (Corrado and Clenndenninng) and maybe Pedan ready for call up duty. There's really no one available that's going to outplay either C imo.

depends on whether they run 7 D or 8D. They may want to carry another centre and run with 2 spare forwards. Kenins will probably get demoted because of his waivers exemption, if he doesn't and there is a spare centre (or McCann steals a spot) there may only be room for 1 spare D.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
6 points in 38 is tearing it up? Compare that to the 18 year old Holmstrom (although a forward) who just led the SHL playoffs with 18 points in 15 games and set records doing so.

I do think there is upside with Forsling, but he really hasn't proven squat yet.
McKenzie Stewart will make you forget all about Holstrom and Clendening will make you forget all about Forsling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad