Confirmed Signing with Link: [CHI] G Petr Mrazek signs extension with the Blackhawks (2 years, $4.25M AAV)

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I find hockey talk is very Toronto centric.. so if you go to Toronto and suck (even for 20 games) that you will have that label for the rest of your career.lol Funny thing, small sample size, but Rittich is killing it right now. Another guy that sucked in Toronto. Andersson's stats went up too after leaving Toronto. Tough goalie market like Philly or Edmonton. I would've loved to have seen a healthy run in TO. I think he had more to give despite thinking they overpaid for him.
No. Mrazek got "the business" from fans/media 2 teams prior to TOR.

Good for him. If he bounces back then great. No ill will from this Leaf fan.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Who cares he is a replacement level goalie. CHI will be bad for a few more years. They need to do what ARZ did and leverage their cap space to stockpile assests and continue to tank. They could get Campbell or Cal Petersen to fill the job.
The hawks have a lot of “assets” stockpiled, Bedard is on the roster today so things like culture and continuity among good character guys does matter even at the expense of working every margin to squeeze out every second round pick you can as you may if Bedard wasn’t on the roster (again they’ve accumulated a lot of second round picks already). Appreciate your concern though.

gach

Aug 2, 2018
This past offseason Sprong,Pius Suter,Duchene, Tarasenko, Wheeler, Van Riemsdyk, Quick, Ghostisbhere, Bjugstad, Kerfoot, Zucker, Lyon, and Blueger. All signed for 2 years or less and that's not including potential trades where teams get rid of good players for a cheap price since they have to shed salary.
How many goalies? I don't want to argue but Mrazek isn't a ufa. He got an extension and I first responded to the fact that Chicago should have waited and signed a free agent. Would this free agent sign for 2 years...who knows. Would he play better than Marzek has this year...who knows. I think teams should show loyalty to their players as it helps with over all team play and team chemistry. If you think Chicago should let him go at the end of his contract and try and replace him with someone else for 2 years so be it.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
How many goalies? I don't want to argue but Mrazek isn't a ufa. He got an extension and I first responded to the fact that Chicago should have waited and signed a free agent. Would this free agent sign for 2 years...who knows. Would he play better than Marzek has this year...who knows. I think teams should show loyalty to their players as it helps with over all team play and team chemistry. If you think Chicago should let him go at the end of his contract and try and replace him with someone else for 2 years so be it.
The issue is not just Mrazek but it's a continued theme with the Hawks, honestly Mrazek is probably the strongest argument you can make is worth his contract, although they could easily trade for another goalie and gain an asset like vanecek who will probably bounce back but would be available, maybe you could grab one of Vegas or Bostons goalies. Potentially could grab markstrom or Merzlinkins from the flames and jackets, or gather more assets and get Campbell retained. They are many possibilities especially with the capspace that the Hawks have seems like they are not utilizing their cap situation to it's full capacity.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
This contract (1-2 years at 4-4.5 for a player worth much less) needs to be called the “Chicago Special” from here on

I literally said to myself the ol' Chicago Special" when I saw the contract details.

Perry, Foligno, Dickinson, Mrazek...

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
They have Drew Commesso and Adam Gajan who were both 2nd round picks.

Reactions: Czechboy and gach

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
For as much as this board hates the Blackhawks, posters here sure do wanna see them acquire assets and not sign 'bad' contracts.

Never knew this site was so hospitable.

Reactions: Space umpire

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
The issue is not just Mrazek but it's a continued theme with the Hawks, honestly Mrazek is probably the strongest argument you can make is worth his contract, although they could easily trade for another goalie and gain an asset like vanecek who will probably bounce back but would be available, maybe you could grab one of Vegas or Bostons goalies. Potentially could grab markstrom or Merzlinkins from the flames and jackets, or gather more assets and get Campbell retained. They are many possibilities especially with the capspace that the Hawks have seems like they are not utilizing their cap situation to it's full capacity.
Each of these extended players were cap dumps with assests. They can still add more cap dumps easily.

They don't want to be trying to be bad 3 years from now. They don't want Merzlinkins/Campbell because they don't want bad contracts slowing down 26-27, so saying just add those is shortsighted. It's not getting it.

They don't want to have to attach a 2nd to a Jason Dickinson level player to cut cap or be in that boat.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Each of these extended players were cap dumps with assests. They can still add more cap dumps easily.

They don't want to be trying to be bad 3 years from now. They don't want Merzlinkins/Campbell because they don't want bad contracts slowing down 26-27, so saying just add those is shortsighted. It's not getting it.

They don't want to have to attach a 2nd to a Jason Dickinson level player to cut cap or be in that boat.
You don't have to add Merzlinkins or Campbell I'm just saying those are possibilities, at this point going into next season they can add players that will help their team now besides re-signing mediocre players. They could have traded these players that they re-signed and then used the picks they gained via trade to improve their team in the off season when teams are desperately trying to shed cap, and you can collect solid players at a discounted price.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I see a lot posters making excuses like "Well, the team has no cap concerns, so it's no big deal"

But they've now committed nearly 15 million in cap space to the likes of Mrazek, Dickinson, and Foligno

If Mrazek, Dickinson, and Foligno are worth their extensions, they each should've been able to fetch at least a 2nd rd pick on the trade market

So, let's say each of them were dealt for a 2nd round pick

That's 3 2nd round picks Chicago could've added to their collection, they then could've used that cap space to take on cap dumps, along with the picks/prospects that come with those cap dumps

As an example, maybe the Oilers are willing to package a 1st with Broberg to move Campbell's contract, and the Leafs and Avs are willing to part with a 2nd rounder to move Samsonov and Johansen

So, rather than a 1st, 5 2nd round picks, Broberg, Johansen, Campbell, and Samonov's expiring contract, they have Mrazek, Dickinson, and Foligno

That doesn't seem like good asset management to me

And those cap dumps can still contribute on the ice, and provide veteran leadership in the dressing room
Campbell, Samsonov and Johansen will provide veteran leadership?
That’s f***ing rich! I want some of whatever you’re smoking.

You really think a team playing 5 rookie and 2nd year Dmen should play them in front Campbell and Samsonov?

Navx94

Sponsor
Jan 17, 2019
Why sign him for 4M when they could’ve grabbed campbell for near the same money and recouped a first+?

Reactions: Czechboy

Navx94

Sponsor
Jan 17, 2019
Because you don’t want a team comprised mostly of very young players dependent on the mentally fragile Jack Campbell to bail them out.
Hawk fans do however thank you for your concern.
Jack campbell guarantees you a perfect tank for 3 years.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Campbell, Samsonov and Johansen will provide veteran leadership?
That’s f***ing rich! I want some of whatever you’re smoking.

You really think a team playing 5 rookie and 2nd year Dmen should play them in front Campbell and Samsonov?
Those players were just used as an example, feel free to substitute them with cap dumps that are more to your liking

You don't have to add Merzlinkins or Campbell I'm just saying those are possibilities, at this point going into next season they can add players that will help their team now besides re-signing mediocre players. They could have traded these players that they re-signed and then used the picks they gained via trade to improve their team in the off season when teams are desperately trying to shed cap, and you can collect solid players at a discounted price.
It's bad asset management anyway you look at it

I explained why in an earlier post, but some people just aren't willing to accept it

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Those players were just used as an example, feel free to substitute them with cap dumps that are more to your liking

It's bad asset management anyway you look at it

I explained why in an earlier post, but some people just aren't willing to accept it
You need a team to actually pay out on a cap dump. The hypothetical like they could just do it but arent... are hyper ignoring other teams agency.

Do any of their signings limit their cap on taking any good offer cap dumps? No, in no way it does.

The only viewing of this as bad, is a Hawks fan who thinks Mrazek could of gotten a 2nd round pick for Mrazek. Which is highly unrealistic. We know these players aren't open market worth these prices. Term is all that matters. The climb to develop talent is the next phase, being "good" won't be the main priority until 26-27.

What are the deals they're missing out on? If they aren't happening, how is it their bad asset management? A team has to actually give it up

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
To be honest, I was really hoping he ended up in Edmonton as an expriring UFA.. and I was thinking Chicago were geniuses because they picked him for very little and 2 years later would turn him into a first round pick and a prospect. If they traded for Campbell they would've landed a lot more. I thought it'd be good business. As far as who's in net next year... sign a UFA for 2 years, keep developing Gajan and bring him up as the team turns it around which will probably be in 2 years.

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
You need a team to actually pay out on a cap dump. The hypothetical like they could just do it but arent... are hyper ignoring other teams agency.

Do any of their signings limit their cap on taking any good offer cap dumps? No, in no way it does.

The only viewing of this as bad, is a Hawks fan who thinks Mrazek could of gotten a 2nd round pick for Mrazek
. Which is highly unrealistic. We know these players aren't open market worth these prices. Term is all that matters. The climb to develop talent is the next phase, being "good" won't be the main priority until 26-27.

What are the deals they're missing out on? If they aren't happening, how is it their bad asset management? A team has to actually give it up
Yes, in a cap league the Blackhawks have now limited their ability to take on nearly 15 million in cap dumps... not to mention the likelihood that the team has an internal cap that is close to the cap floor during their rebuilding teams, meaning they have less to spend the most fan realize

I said 'If Mrazek, Dickinson, and Foligno are worth their extensions, they each should've been able to fetch at least a 2nd rd pick on the trade market'

The key word being 'IF'

IF a player is worth extending for 2 more seasons at 4+ million, that player should be worth at least a 2nd round pick on the trade market

The flip side of that being, of course, IF a player isn't worth at least a 2nd round pick on the trade market, he's not worth extending for 2 more seasons at 4+ million

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Yes, in a cap league the Blackhawks have now limited their ability to take on nearly 15 million in cap dumps... not to mention the likelihood that the team has an internal cap that is close to the cap floor during their rebuilding teams, meaning they have less to spend the most fan realize

I said 'If Mrazek, Dickinson, and Foligno are worth their extensions, they each should've been able to fetch at least a 2nd rd pick on the trade market'

The key word being 'IF'

IF a player is worth extending for 2 more seasons at 4+ million, that player should be worth at least a 2nd round pick on the trade market

The flip side of that being, of course, IF a player isn't worth at least a 2nd round pick on the trade market, he's not worth extending for 2 more seasons at 4+ million
I just don't get how people ever conclude the thought, those tanking teams aren't doing enough cap dumps. Deals have to be done by teams willing to do them. 15mil doesn't limit any cap dumps.

Who do you think is causing the deals to not happen? Teams not willing to eat capspace or teams not willing to trade 1sts/good players/prospects. Your if and let's say... are just living in fantasy land points. These trades of the Avs, Leafs, and Oilers you propose aren't happening because that's bad asset management on their end. Some posters on here think capdumps are happening more than they are.

To these contracts, few would say these guys are worth their cap, but it's a matter of trying to install stability when a good bunch of prospects get to the NHL the next 2 years. They're in a 2nd tank year, but want to transition to a more development phase, still being kinda bad, but then the hope is to be seeking a playoff picture in a few years.

They will probably take some capdump trade at the deadline or another or 2 in the offseason, but nobody, no not even Arizona before takes on 4 capdumps in 1 year.

Reactions: Space umpire

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I just don't get how people ever conclude the thought, those tanking teams aren't doing enough cap dumps. Deals have to be done by teams willing to do them. 15mil doesn't limit any cap dumps.

Who do you think is causing the deals to not happen? Teams not willing to eat capspace or teams not willing to trade 1sts/good players/prospects. Your if and let's say... are just living in fantasy land points. These trades of the Avs, Leafs, and Oilers you propose aren't happening because that's bad asset management on their end. Some posters on here think capdumps are happening more than they are.

To these contracts, few would say these guys are worth their cap, but it's a matter of trying to install stability when a good bunch of prospects get to the NHL the next 2 years. They're in a 2nd tank year, but want to transition to a more development phase, still being kinda bad, but then the hope is to be seeking a playoff picture in a few years.

They will probably take some capdump trade at the deadline or another or 2 in the offseason, but nobody, no not even Arizona before takes on 4 capdumps in 1 year.
But look at who is primarily trolling the Hawks on this thread.
A Canuck fan, his team paid the Hawks to take Dickinson. (It was later revealed his struggles there were caused by a misdiagnosed injury. Medical folk in Chicago fixed the situation and he has been playing great, responsible hockey.
A Leaf fan, his team paid the Hawks to take Mrazek. He is now playin great in the starters roll in front of kids. While Toronto’s goaltending sucks
An Oiler fan who wanted Mrazek

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Thought something like this might happen, Soderblom has been a disaster, they have cap space and need some sort of stability in net before their goalie prospects start getting NHL time.

The UFA goalie market this offseason will be atrociously bad.
Well, does Edmonton have a gently used Campbell for you!

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont

The key word being 'IF'

The team has never had an internal cap since Bill died. We didn’t limit ourselves to take on cap dumps and the 15 million we pay three veteran guys to be stable pieces on a shit team is well worth it.

We have 40 million in cap space. We can do whatever we want to do. Davidson will make or break this team at the draft and in UFA when he decides to really test that world. It won’t be because of not trading for Campbell .. (which has been reported that Edmonton is hoping he figures it out on his own, and to solve the position in Edmonton from within).

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Who cares he is a replacement level goalie. CHI will be bad for a few more years. They need to do what ARZ did and leverage their cap space to stockpile assests and continue to tank. They could get Campbell or Cal Petersen to fill the job.
I see a lot of people thinking the NHL is like an EA sports game. The real world doesn't work like that.

Why do you have teams like the Sabres that have a REAL hard time turning it around after a decade of being out of the play-offs, getting high picks, and having a ton of cap space to sign UFA's? IMO - it's because you need a foundation to grow from, and when you find guys who have fire in their belly and are willing to compete on a bad team. When you find guys like that - you keep them around and don't move them for marginal assets when there are a bunch of UFA's who just are looking for a big payday.

At the end of the day - having terrible goaltending is a team killer IMO. Hawks are a bad team now - but at least for the most part they compete hard. You need that, because if a team doesn't compete (even if bad) - that's hard to turn around when the talent level rises.

Why are the Sens struggling now? It's certainly not a lack of talent. Might it have something to do with the fact that they have been terrible for a long time and the organization is used to losing? IMO - you don't get rid of that "stench" just by increasing the talent level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad