Confirmed Signing with Link: [CHI] G Petr Mrazek signs extension with the Blackhawks (2 years, $4.25M AAV)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Who is the best goalie on the free agent market this upcoming offseason?

And more importantly, how many years of contract commitment would it take to win an UFA bid.

Again people not looking at the total cost of a contract here and just getting worked up over AAV on a short term deal.

These two year deals keep these vets very tradeable for Chicago moving forward as well, retaining on two years is a lot easier than 4 or 5 and contending teams wouldn’t want all those extra years anyways.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
And more importantly, how many years of contract commitment would it take to win an UFA bid.

Again people not looking at the total cost of a contract here and just getting worked up over AAV on a short term deal.
Hawks still have $40 million in cap room for next year

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
CHI should have traded for Campbell and gotten a significant asset rather than commit this much cap to a below average goalie.

Reactions: La Bamba

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
CHI should have traded for Campbell and gotten a significant asset rather than commit this much cap to a below average goalie.
This.

Cap space is an asset. I’d be using my cap space to acquire pre-existing bad contracts with assets attached vs creating more bad contracts for nothing

Especially in a rebuild

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Davidson love’s contracts that start with a 4.

I get what he’s doing but I don’t think these bloated contracts are good management. He could be taken other teams bloated contracts and getting assets back. Hes not managing his cap space well.
Dickinson and Mrazek were both acquired as cap dumps that came with assets… they’ve already done what you’ve asked and your hypothetical $2 million AAV culture vets are just that, hypothetical.

This is fantastic cap management. Bringing back the right vets without long term commitment. The success of the rebuild will come down to the hit rate on draft picks but from a cap management standpoint, I give Davidson a lot of props. No prospect is getting blocked. Nothing that ties into the ability to be competitive when Bedard is likely making more money. Some stability and continuity to build a culture and identity instead of a rotating group of disgruntled angry old men that are stuck somewhere they don’t want to be because it’s all they could get.

Reactions: ClydeLee

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
Things that other teams fans need to know and understand about the Hawks when wondering what these contracts are about
  • The Hawks have the capspace and need to hit the capfloor.
  • These deals will expire when it's time to re-up Bedard and others.
  • The players are vets and good locker room guys for the young core the Hawks are building.
  • Team needs stability and having some players who know they are staying put for the next couple of years is good instead of a revolving doors of hired guns wondering who's going to a new city at the deadline.
  • The Hawks have a 13 picks in the first two rounds for the next three offseasons, trading any of these players would hardly improve that
  • Most Hawks fans know the team is rebuilding and is not expecting any reasonable success for the next couple of years

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Dickinson and Mrazek were both acquired as cap dumps that came with assets… they’ve already done what you’ve asked and your hypothetical $2 million AAV culture vets are just that, hypothetical.

This is fantastic cap management. Bringing back the right vets without long term commitment. The success of the rebuild will come down to the hit rate on draft picks but from a cap management standpoint, I give Davidson a lot of props. No prospect is getting blocked. Nothing that ties into the ability to be competitive when Bedard is likely making more money. Some stability and continuity to build a culture and identity instead of a rotating group of disgruntled angry old men that are stuck somewhere they don’t want to be because it’s all they could get.
Yeah but on my Playstation I turn all these vets into picks and have 80 picks over 4 seasons and then have a dynasty. I run an entire 23-man roster of 22 year-olds and under with huge potential, it's awesome! Besides, I see Mrzaek's rating is a 78 and Jack Campbell is an 82 so why wouldn't you just get all the picks and dump a goalie who I know to be bad because my 10 month old EA Sports roster says so.

That's how real life works right?

Step 1: Picks
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Dynasty

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
He has been good. But I thought Chicago would use that to their advantage and trade him at deadline.

A bit strange.
What's the most that a contender would have paid for Mrazek? A 2nd round DP from a play-off team? Hawks have stockpiled a boatload of 2nd round DP's and they actually have to play NHL games. Mrazek has given them a chance in many of these games that the Hawks should be getting CRUSHED. It's worthwhile to have a solid goalie who is a legit NHL'er and not create another roster hole (when they've already got a bunch) that needs to be filled.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
My point is that players like him and Smith are available during off seasons because teams need to shed salary.
No to players like him and Smith.
By all accounts the 3 guys who got new 2 year deals have bought into the rebuild.
Mrazek knows he’s there to hold the fort and help his future replacement (Commesso?) ease into the NHL.
Foligno is the vocal leader and off ice shadow for Bedard.
Dickinson actually wants to stay longer “to see this rebuild through” (his words).

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I know he's played well for the Hawks this year, but how does Peter Mrazek get a contract like that? It's a sign that they don't even want to compete for the next two years. That's fine I guess, but that sucks for fans.

Good on him though. For a guy that most thought was on his way out of the league a year ago, this is a great payday for him.
MOS - as a suffering Hawks fan, Mrazek has consistently been their best player this year. That's on a team with 3 rookie d-men and other roster filler like Zaitsev and Tinordi getting significant minutes. (EDIT: And to beat the haters to the punch - Bedard had some absolutely amazing games, but as expected for a rookie he also had a number of games where he was marginal to bad.)

Hawks NEED some stability on the roster. The thought that they should move him for a 2nd/3rd round DP and then roll the dice on getting a UFA replacement in the off-season is hysterical IMO.

The Hawks legitimately need to upgrade on 10+ roster spots, and that's not hyperbole. The thought that they would be better off trading guys like Mrazek, Foligno & Dickinson for picks and then have 12+ roster spots the need to improve is very "EA" approach. It might work in a computer simulation - but not a way to have an actual team make progress.

gach

Aug 2, 2018
Does Chicago not realize they can get better players during Ufa at that price point, like they've done this multiple times, I don't understand what's the point of overpaying for mediocre talent when they can get draft capital for these players, and then flip these picks next season or the season after to improve their team. Like I get 1 or 2 players but it seems to be a weird pattern, heck they could even utilize cap space by acquiring bad expiring contracts and get draft picks alongside with it, besides retaining players who won't do much for them.
Could you name what ufa would sign with Chicago on a 2 year deal?

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I see a lot posters making excuses like "Well, the team has no cap concerns, so it's no big deal"

But they've now committed nearly 15 million in cap space to the likes of Mrazek, Dickinson, and Foligno

If Mrazek, Dickinson, and Foligno are worth their extensions, they each should've been able to fetch at least a 2nd rd pick on the trade market

So, let's say each of them were dealt for a 2nd round pick

That's 3 2nd round picks Chicago could've added to their collection, they then could've used that cap space to take on cap dumps, along with the picks/prospects that come with those cap dumps

As an example, maybe the Oilers are willing to package a 1st with Broberg to move Campbell's contract, and the Leafs and Avs are willing to part with a 2nd rounder to move Samsonov and Johansen

So, rather than a 1st, 5 2nd round picks, Broberg, Johansen, Campbell, and Samonov's expiring contract, they have Mrazek, Dickinson, and Foligno

That doesn't seem like good asset management to me

And those cap dumps can still contribute on the ice, and provide veteran leadership in the dressing room

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I see a lot posters making excuses like "Well, the team has no cap concerns, so it's no big deal"

But they've now committed nearly 15 million in cap space to the likes of Mrazek, Dickinson, and Foligno

If Mrazek, Dickinson, and Foligno are worth their extensions, they each should've been able to fetch at least a 2nd rd pick on the trade market

So, let's say each of them were dealt for a 2nd round pick

That's 3 2nd round picks Chicago could've added to their collection, they then could've used that cap space to take on cap dumps, along with the picks/prospects that come with those cap dumps

As an example, maybe the Oilers are willing to package a 1st with Broberg to move Campbell's contract, and the Leafs and Avs are willing to part with a 2nd rounder to move Samsonov and Johansen

So, rather than a 1st, 5 2nd round picks, Broberg, Johansen, Campbell, and Samonov's expiring contract, they have Mrazek, Dickinson, and Foligno

That doesn't seem like good asset management to me

And those cap dumps can still contribute on the ice, and provide veteran leadership in the dressing room
The Hawks overpaid for most of those guys, we're not oblivious. But they are good veteran guys in the lockerroom and Hawks have the cash. Hawks would've been lucky to squeeze out one 2nd (a late 2nd) for one of these guys, not each of them.

Hawks already have 5 1sts over the next 3 years and 8 2nds. They are stocked up and loaded already, so solid veterans to help the kids (mainly Bedard) is worth not adding one more 2nd. And as others have, there is a danger to having veterans coming and going from the lockerroom. You want that stable presence.

If a team like the Oilers wants to make a trade, then they still can. Hawks got loads of cap space and these three signings all expire the year we need to re-sign Bedard. It's not like we have a solid backup, and couldn't make use out of someone like Campbell (though he'd cost more than a low 1st to move).

Hawks will still be a destination for cap dumps this off-season. But now they don't need to desperately add cap and won't just accept those dumps for middling draft picks so they can reach the cap floor.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Lol so many Leafs fans in here really want the Hawks to trade for Campbell and take picks. I guess they need their little victory laps.

But seriously, I don’t know why Davidson wouldn’t want take picks and just use Campbell as the tank commanding goalie. Mrazek has been decent this year sure, but it’s not like that’s a guarantee to continue happening in the next 2 years. And it’s not like it’s a guarantee that Jack can find his game to be atleast a below average to average starter.

1st
2nd
Campbell

For

Whatever.

Is essentially on the table for any Cap irrelevant teams like Chicago.’

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00