Confirmed Signing with Link: [CHI] G Petr Mrazek signs extension with the Blackhawks (2 years, $4.25M AAV)

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Yes! Because Campbell’s play just screams “ Guy I want playing behind a very young team finding their way and making mistakes.

Terrible take.

Is Mrazek really playing that much better? They’re clearly trying to burn cap for 2 years by overpaying him, Foligno and Dickinson. With Campbell they’d pick up assets

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't think people realize that Mrazek numbers are actually pretty darn good this year, especially given the team he is on.

4.25mil will put him at the 26th highest paid goalie in the league next year. Yet SPCT is tied for 13th.

Not a bad contract at all

Lol so many Leafs fans in here really want the Hawks to trade for Campbell and take picks. I guess they need their little victory laps.

But seriously, I don’t know why Davidson wouldn’t want take picks and just use Campbell as the tank commanding goalie. Mrazek has been decent this year sure, but it’s not like that’s a guarantee to continue happening in the next 2 years. And it’s not like it’s a guarantee that Jack can find his game to be atleast a below average to average starter.

1st
2nd
Campbell

For

Whatever.

Is essentially on the table for any Cap irrelevant teams like Chicago.’
I mean they still could trade for Campbell if they deem whatever assets we are willing to trade are worth it.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The Hawks overpaid for most of those guys, we're not oblivious. But they are good veteran guys in the lockerroom and Hawks have the cash. Hawks would've been lucky to squeeze out one 2nd (a late 2nd) for one of these guys, not each of them.

Hawks already have 5 1sts over the next 3 years and 8 2nds. They are stocked up and loaded already, so solid veterans to help the kids (mainly Bedard) is worth not adding one more 2nd. And as others have, there is a danger to having veterans coming and going from the lockerroom. You want that stable presence.

If a team like the Oilers wants to make a trade, then they still can. Hawks got loads of cap space and these three signings all expire the year we need to re-sign Bedard. It's not like we have a solid backup, and couldn't make use out of someone like Campbell (though he'd cost more than a low 1st to move).

Hawks will still be a destination for cap dumps this off-season. But now they don't need to desperately add cap and won't just accept those dumps for middling draft picks so they can reach the cap floor.
Your post is a perfect example of the length some fans will go to in order to justify a team's poor asset management

Reactions: ello

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
IMG_0042.png
Hey guys, look at all the amazing goalies the Hawks could have signed in free agency!

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don't think people realize that Mrazek numbers are actually pretty darn good this year, especially given the team he is on.

4.25mil will put him at the 26th highest paid goalie in the league next year. Yet SPCT is tied for 13th.

Not a bad contract at all

I mean they still could trade for Campbell if they deem whatever assets we are willing to trade are worth it.

That’s true. I kinda suspect a Cap irrelevant team would do just that if Holland ever gets around to just calling it quits on Campbell. Unfortunately or fortunately(depending how you view Campbell) it seems Holland will be giving Jack another shot as he’s still talking up his AHL performances to the market.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That’s true. I kinda suspect a Cap irrelevant team would do just that if Holland ever gets around to just calling it quits on Campbell. Unfortunately or fortunately(depending how you view Campbell) it seems Holland will be giving Jack another shot as he’s still talking up his AHL performances to the market.
It's a GM who the hell knows why he says what he says lol.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Leafs could use a guy like that right now.

The goalie experts in Toronto have already spoken spoken. The solution in net is an injured Matt Murray, a failed Samsonov, a 23 year in Woll, a thrice failed Jones. Oh and of course they also knew that Mike Smith sporting a .923 at 2M was not a solution nor was Calder finalist Skinner.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I see a lot posters making excuses like "Well, the team has no cap concerns, so it's no big deal"

But they've now committed nearly 15 million in cap space to the likes of Mrazek, Dickinson, and Foligno

If Mrazek, Dickinson, and Foligno are worth their extensions, they each should've been able to fetch at least a 2nd rd pick on the trade market

So, let's say each of them were dealt for a 2nd round pick

That's 3 2nd round picks Chicago could've added to their collection, they then could've used that cap space to take on cap dumps, along with the picks/prospects that come with those cap dumps

As an example, maybe the Oilers are willing to package a 1st with Broberg to move Campbell's contract, and the Leafs and Avs are willing to part with a 2nd rounder to move Samsonov and Johansen

So, rather than a 1st, 5 2nd round picks, Broberg, Johansen, Campbell, and Samonov's expiring contract, they have Mrazek, Dickinson, and Foligno

That doesn't seem like good asset management to me

And those cap dumps can still contribute on the ice, and provide veteran leadership in the dressing room
Who wouldn't want Ryan Johansen to provide some veteran leadership!?!

The Hawks could theoretically take the camp dumps if they want (and if those deals were available), so they could theoretically still add a 1st, two seconds, Broberg and the expiring contracts if you're correct on those deals. And to reiterate, in the next 3 drafts the Hawks already have FIVE 1st rounders and SEVEN 2nd rounders.

At the end of the day - as a Hawks fan I'd rather pay a premium to those guys on a short term deals when they have a ton of cap-space and a real shortage of legit NHL'ers on the roster. The Hawks already have a ton of draft capital coming up. Trying to fill the roster on a bad team with a new crop of UFA's is easier said than done and if you have guys who are already producing in those roles it's not worth the risk to move them and "start over" for additional 2nd round DP's.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You look around the league at some of the teams struggling with starting goaltending, and I'm sure a few of them are kicking themselves for not buying low on Mrazek.

He's been a revelation playing for a leaky defensive team like the Hawks. He's had a fine season and deserves his new contract and a raise.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
No to players like him and Smith.
By all accounts the 3 guys who got new 2 year deals have bought into the rebuild.
Mrazek knows he’s there to hold the fort and help his future replacement (Commesso?) ease into the NHL.
Foligno is the vocal leader and off ice shadow for Bedard.
Dickinson actually wants to stay longer “to see this rebuild through” (his words).
They didn't buy in to the rebuild, they got bought simple as is, they were told to play the role and they know they would not be getting 4 million per year anywhere else, which is smart on their part but IMO if I'm the Hawks I'm trying to get better next year, like attempt for the playoffs better especially if they are picking top 3, probably they don't get to the playoffs but you have Bedard so you have to show vast improvements. IMO they wasted around 6 million dollars overpaying for Mrazek, Dickinson, and Foligno. They could easily get a top 4 RHD for that price point or a top 6 player.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
They didn't buy in to the rebuild, they got bought simple as is, they were told to play the role and they know they would not be getting 4 million per year anywhere else, which is smart on their part but IMO if I'm the Hawks I'm trying to get better next year, like attempt for the playoffs better especially if they are picking top 3, probably they don't get to the playoffs but you have Bedard so you have to show vast improvements. IMO they wasted around 6 million dollars overpaying for Mrazek, Dickinson, and Foligno. They could easily get a top 4 RHD for that price point or a top 6 player.
They could still get those players

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
They could still get those players
The idea is though they could get more and actually build a stronger team, especially considering how weak their top 6 is, they have the cap space where they can easily add three solid top 6 players (not elite players but solid) and a top 4 RHD IMO.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
The idea is though they could get more and actually build a stronger team, especially considering how weak their top 6 is, they have the cap space where they can easily add three solid top 6 players (not elite players but solid) and a top 4 RHD IMO.
They have 40 million in cap room next year. They could add those. Should they choose.

Reactions: Czechboy

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
He's working a starters workload with an above league average save percentage playing on an abysmal team. He's been good, certainly not below average.
Who cares he is a replacement level goalie. CHI will be bad for a few more years. They need to do what ARZ did and leverage their cap space to stockpile assests and continue to tank. They could get Campbell or Cal Petersen to fill the job.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Who cares he is a replacement level goalie. CHI will be bad for a few more years. They need to do what ARZ did and leverage their cap space to stockpile assests and continue to tank. They could get Campbell or Cal Petersen to fill the job.
They could still get Campbell if the oilers want to pay the freight to unload him. Philly isn’t adding anything to Cal to unload him.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
No, I'm acting that a ufa won't sign for that money for 2 years
This past offseason Sprong,Pius Suter,Duchene, Tarasenko, Wheeler, Van Riemsdyk, Quick, Ghostisbhere, Bjugstad, Kerfoot, Zucker, Lyon, and Blueger. All signed for 2 years or less and that's not including potential trades where teams get rid of good players for a cheap price since they have to shed salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $40.00