Confirmed Signing with Link: [CHI] G Petr Mrazek signs extension with the Blackhawks (2 years, $4.25M AAV)

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Thought something like this might happen, Soderblom has been a disaster, they have cap space and need some sort of stability in net before their goalie prospects start getting NHL time.

The UFA goalie market this offseason will be atrociously bad.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Makes sense. They can't do any better without disrupting the rebuild, and any worse would be insulting to the young guys and stunt development. Mrazek is the perfect stop-gap right now.

2 years makes sense.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
NOOOOOOO... please trade him at the deadline to a playoff team.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Makes sense. They can't do any better without disrupting the rebuild, and any worse would be insulting to the young guys and stunt development. Mrazek is the perfect stop-gap right now.

2 years makes sense.
To be fair - I've been really impressed with Mrazek's performance this year. He's been anywhere from really solid to awesome behind a team with a AHL talent level who has been starting at least 3 rookie blueliners and filling in with a "bunch of guys". I know that Mrazek wore out his welcome in several locations which is what people remember, but he's been able to stay healthy and be REALLY solid on a bad team.

Great signing IMO.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I know that Mrazek wore out his welcome in several locations which is what people remember,
I find hockey talk is very Toronto centric.. so if you go to Toronto and suck (even for 20 games) that you will have that label for the rest of your career.lol Funny thing, small sample size, but Rittich is killing it right now. Another guy that sucked in Toronto. Andersson's stats went up too after leaving Toronto. Tough goalie market like Philly or Edmonton. I would've loved to have seen a healthy run in TO. I think he had more to give despite thinking they overpaid for him.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I was always a big Mrazek fan when he was in Detroit, he reminded me of a poor man's Quick and I wanted him in LA for that reason to be Quick's backup.

But I feel like he never lived up to his potential in Detroit. He was awful in Philly and Toronto. Decent in Carolina but so was every other dime-a-dozen backup they brought in during that span.

Good on him for handling a starters workload and getting one more big payday. Chicago isn't in a position where they need him to get into the playoffs, simply not sucking is good enough.

Reactions: TheOne and qqaz

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I find hockey talk is very Toronto centric.. so if you go to Toronto and suck (even for 20 games) that you will have that label for the rest of your career.lol
This is exactly it. Too many leaf fans think they’re the main character of the NHL and leaf performance trumps all else.

He’s been very good this season. I like the move. Nice little mini core of Dickinson, Foligno and Mrazek as vets for the next couple seasons without any commitment beyond when a theoretical Bedard extension would begin.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
At this point they should have reached out to Oilers for Campbell and try to snag a few picks
No they need to be more deliberate in how they approach tanking and rebuilding now with Bedard on the roster compared to if they had drafted someone like Smith or Michkov who is not here yet. They can’t send a message to Bedard that they are deliberately sabotaging the roster to pick up 2nd round picks (which they’ve had a lot of recently), while being mindful of avoiding lengthy commitments that make a future window hard to open.

Reactions: TheOne

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
This is exactly it. Too many leaf fans think they’re the main character of the NHL and leaf performance trumps all else.
While it obviously doesn't trump all else, he was spectacularly bad in Toronto. Sure only 20 games but the guy didn't know where his posts were that season. It was incredible.

I'm happy he's turned it around but I think when Toronto sent him as a cap dump, nobody was questioning that move....

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00