Confirmed Trade: [CHI/CBJ] Jones, 2021 1st (32OA), '22 6th for Boqvist, '21 1st (12OA), '21 2nd, '22 1st (protected)

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Seth Jones is still an elite RHD. Judge the contact after a few years. I still think cbj got a huge haul being in a tough spot but don't under sell Jones.

Jarmo continues to be very strong at the trade table. Loved the return for Columbus.

What I don't like is seeing how poorly Bowman negotiated Jones' extension.
Chicago was rumored to be a team Jones wanted to be traded to. By giving Jones maximum term,I would have expected salary to be lower then $9.5, especially when teams can point to the flat cap.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
He’s not awful. And he’s really young. But unlikely he winds up being anywhere near as good as Jones.

He was touted to be the next Karlsson, he is a one dimensional player who hasn't even shown his one major skill he supposedly possess.

Imo beaudin is a much much better player who has shown good things. Boqvist I agree with you he will never imo be anywhere near as good as Jones.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Hahaha, what is this, is this real life?? Giving up assets for and paying this guy 9.5 million for 8 years at this point, when the SC window is already slammed shut. The contract is Seabrook 2.0. Stanley Bowman really is an utter imbecile. :help:

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Hahaha, what is this, is this real life?? Giving up assets for and paying this guy 9.5 million for 8 years at this point, when the SC window is already slammed shut. The contract is Seabrook 2.0. Stanley Bowman really is an utter imbecile. :help:

Bowman was sidelined with an injury and my GM Chuck Fletcher did the trade negotiations for him. Actually, Fletcher would have thrown in more assets.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Seth Jones is still an elite RHD. Judge the contact after a few years. I still think cbj got a huge haul being in a tough spot but don't under sell Jones.
For me it's less about Jones and more about the Hawks. I don't see how Jones helps get them to a real competitive team for the next couple of years. Push them to a playoff team? Sure, maybe. But real threat? I don't see how.

Jones makes them good enough to be a middling team. Too good for rebuilding not good enough to be a contender.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
They got rid of Keith and Seabrook's recently. They must have been jonesing for a new one.
Yeah this is what I can’t understand. I know Kane and Toews have only a couple of years remaining, but wasnt being locked into these massive, contracts on a handful of players a contributing factor for their decline into irrelevance in the first place?

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
For me it's less about Jones and more about the Hawks. I don't see how Jones helps get them to a real competitive team for the next couple of years. Push them to a playoff team? Sure, maybe. But real threat? I don't see how.

Jones makes them good enough to be a middling team. Too good for rebuilding not good enough to be a contender.
Much like the position Columbus was in aside from the year they added Duchene and Dzingel. That year the CBJ had a legit shot but Boston was just too much. Chicago is clearly a better team after this move but with an aging core it seems they aren't truly a cup threat. As the core declines is there enough in the pipeline to push them towards a cup run while Seth is in his prime or is it continued mediocrity of make the playoffs and lose (or just miss the playoffs).

I suspect the Chicago system will be much more supportive of bring back out Seth's skill set. It was simply restrictive in Columbus and last year was just not one to judge anyone in Columbus on. That's not to say he's worth the new deal but I don't think it's as bad as some might think Coupled with the assets moved.... I think this favors Columbus overall.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Jones isn't bad, but he's been declining already and players don't typically get better once they start declining. 9.5 is insane, he's never been close to as good as Subban was when he got his contract, and Subban's did not age well.

D-men typically have their best years between their late 20s and early 30s

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I don't agree. The West is wide open and if the Hawks are in the playoffs they can go on some runs. Jones is a fantastic playoff style guy and if they can get some more playoff type guys in lesser positions then they'll be well constructed.

I'm not saying that the contract is great but the player is and that makes the Hawks dangerous again.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010

I think the idea is that Chicago get back Kirby Dach (and hopefully Jonathan Toews) too.

Played the entire last season without 1C, 2C, and had stretches with Strome and other C’s out as well and were pretty competitive.

He likely already is

LOLLLLLLLLLLL

Reactions: MessierII

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I don't agree. The West is wide open and if the Hawks are in the playoffs they can go on some runs. Jones is a fantastic playoff style guy and if they can get some more playoff type guys in lesser positions then they'll be well constructed.

I'm not saying that the contract is great but the player is and that makes the Hawks dangerous again.
Good luck, I'm not cheering against them.

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
The return coupled with the contract is...a lot for Jones. Even if he improves off his last couple of seasons, there needs to be a steep improvement in his game for this to be worth it for the Hawks

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Jones was always going to get pricey. Maybe I didnt expect this pricey, but now he's a hawk for the better part of the next decade. Good for him and Hawks.

Very excited for Boqvist loved to watch him here, he has super high potential. Combined with the other assets, I do think that Jackets got a very good deal for Jones.

I am not as high on picks as the rest of HF but I really like Boqvist so :P But what is likely 2 picks that's going to be in the mid first round I'd say there's a good chance one of those also pan out.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
My 2 cents. A desperate attempt to win before Kane and Toews age because those contracts suck when it's over. Win now, pay later.

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Two firsts, a second and an elite/top4 defensman..

for a 9m$ aging defensman.

are they trying to open there window again?

Not sure what planet Adam Boqvist is elite or that Jones at 27 to start the year is aging.

I would be stunned if Boqvist ever gets top ten in Norris voting. He’s good but he won’t ever be the number one imo. Luckily for the Jackets Werenski likely can

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I like Jones more than a lot of these posters aka I think he’s a top 10 d man in the league and assuming he regains his motivation I think will be a top 7 d man this year. That being said, 2 firsts, a future 1d and a contract that is 1m more than draisatl for 8 years is absolutely absurd
I agree with your take, but the pedantic soul in me cries out, it's not f'ing "that being said". It's that said, or that being so; but the silly combo is a Renaissance abomination. Don't get me started about Mr Murphy harump or other syntax errors

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
Move a stinky contract for a average top pair D(that’s what it is…. A 9 year commitment is laughably egregious) and walk with Boqvist and Cole Sillinger???
Complete steal for CBJ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad