Confirmed Trade: [CHI/CBJ] Jones, 2021 1st (32OA), '22 6th for Boqvist, '21 1st (12OA), '21 2nd, '22 1st (protected)

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Bean and Sillinger haven't been too shabby either.

I loved Jones when he was here, but it's hard to argue with how well these kids have been playing. If they all continue playing and developing like they have it's hard for this trade not to tilt in Columbus' favor. Especially if they can hit on that 1st next year.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Both teams for what they wanted. Chicago wanted one last push with Toews and Kane, Jones has been great for that, unfortunately the rest of that team has not been so good.

Columbus wanted to turn an expiring Jones into futures. They got exactly what they wanted and those futures have been playing very well so far.

Win-win for the reason each team made the trade. It just looks a bit bad for Chicago since the rest of their team still sucks.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Both teams for what they wanted. Chicago wanted one last push with Toews and Kane, Jones has been great for that, unfortunately the rest of that team has not been so good.

Columbus wanted to turn an expiring Jones into futures. They got exactly what they wanted and those futures have been playing very well so far.

Win-win for the reason each team made the trade. It just looks a bit bad for Chicago since the rest of their team still sucks.

You could argue that the fact that the rest of the team sucks is a good reason not to make this trade in the first place. This all in push is getting them all the way to the 26th in the standings.

Reactions: Sota Popinski

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
You could argue that the fact that the rest of the team sucks is a good reason not to make this trade in the first place. This all in push is getting them all the way to the 26th in the standings.

Whether they should have gone with that strategy or not is beside the point. This trade worked out for that strategy. But I agree that the strategy was just a terrible one (so far).

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
upload_2021-12-6_14-17-20-png.488015

Here is a little chart I made comparing Jones and Boqvist, for fun. Jones obviously plays a lot more minutes (nearly 2x the PP time/game than Boqvist) and PKs a bit. Boqvist missed 8 games and is more of a 2nd pairing guy for Columbus right now. And it's very unlikely he'll shoot 28% for the entire season.

Jones for 8 more years (starting next year) for $9.5m *AND* a full NMC is a bit rich. Yes, he can eat minutes...but he's not elite in those minutes. I haven't been following Chicago every game recently, but I noticed his TOI declined in the first few games after they fired Colliton. It looks like in the last week or so he's back to 28+ minutes per game.

Jones peaked in '17-'18 and has steadily declined since. He's playing a career-high 3:49 on the power play, so sure, his point totals will be inflated because of that. He has "just" 11 points at 5v5. To be fair, his points/60 at 5v5 is the highest of his career, but it's buoyed by a bunch of second assists. Perhaps his point total is increasing because he doesn't have to share the ice with a guy like Werenski. Gustafsson and de Haan have better shot share / xG numbers at 5v5.

The big thing in this when looking back will be when the new contract kicks in for Jones (he turns 28 before the 8-year deal starts) and, of course, how the draft picks pan out.

For now:
CBJ get:
-Adam Boqvist
-Cole Sillinger
-Jake Bean (via Chicago's 2021 2nd round pick...Aleksi Heimosalmi)
-potentially Chicago's 2022 1st round pick (could be a top 10 pick)
CHI get:
-Set Jones
-Nolan Allen (via TBL's 2021 1st round pick)
-CBJ's 2022 6th round pick

Depends on which situation your team is in if you'd rather take the possible elite Dman at a high AAV for a long term or what is looking like 3-4 really solid pieces and maybe one or two of those guys becomes and elite player. Different strokes for different folks.

Reactions: The Left Shark

Apr 9, 2009
USA
If Jones keeps putting up points with mediocre underlying numbers its going to make for a legendary analytics vs eye test debate when it comes time for norris voting

I always thought he looked better than the analytics indicated in Columbus.

That being said, this trade is looking absolutely fantastic for the Jackets. And I've always thought Jones was a good #1, so I doubt Chicago fans are too upset.

Reactions: bh53

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
If the Hawks win a lottery pick the 2022 is deferred but if they just suck it gets sent to the BJs?

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
It's top 3 protected, I believe
*Conditions: If Chicago wins one of the the 2022 draft lotteries and the lottery win results in the pick being top 2 overall, the pick becomes their 2023 1st round pick

So if they finish bottom 2 it goes to the BJs. If they win into the bottom 2 they keep it, is how I’m understanding this.

This might not be as bad as the Kessel trade to the Leafs but it’s in that territory where the GM has completely misjudged his team. I wouldn’t mind this so much if it was in the #20 pick range but if it’s top 10 it’s brutal. I already really like that Sillenger kid.

BeersHockey

Jun 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
*Conditions: If Chicago wins one of the the 2022 draft lotteries and the lottery win results in the pick being top 2 overall, the pick becomes their 2023 1st round pick

So if they finish bottom 2 it goes to the BJs. If they win into the bottom 2 they keep it, is how I’m understanding this.

This might not be as bad as the Kessel trade to the Leafs but it’s in that territory where the GM has completely misjudged his team. I wouldn’t mind this so much if it was in the #20 pick range but if it’s top 10 it’s brutal. I already really like that Sillenger kid.
No, I don't think that's how it works because every team is in the lottery, so it's how the picks end up coming out. If Hawks finish bottom two, they just have better odds of "winning" the lottery (which means getting #1, or staying put at #2). In both those scenarios the Hawks keep the pick. If one or two teams move up, bumping Hawks to 3 or 4, then the BJs get the pick.

Reactions: COHawk

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
No, I don't think that's how it works because every team is in the lottery, so it's how the picks end up coming out. If Hawks finish bottom two, they just have better odds of "winning" the lottery (which means getting #1, or staying put at #2). In both those scenarios the Hawks keep the pick. If one or two teams move up, bumping Hawks to 3 or 4, then the BJs get the pick.
No, not everyone is in the lottery. And that isn’t what it says in the stipulation.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
No, not everyone is in the lottery. And that isn’t what it says in the stipulation.
Not sure how you got that.

There are only two lottery slots. If Chicago wins the lottery, they keep it. It doesn't matter if they finish last in the league. It doesn't matter if they finish 17th. If they win the lottery, (1 or 2). Then its a 2023 1st. If its 3rd OA-15th OA, they give it up. You can also only move up 10 slots. So if Chicago barely misses the playoffs, 13th-15th OA. They automatically give it up and aren't eligible for the lottery anyway.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Not sure how you got that.

There are only two lottery slots. If Chicago wins the lottery, they keep it. It doesn't matter if they finish last in the league. It doesn't matter if they finish 17th. If they win the lottery, (1 or 2). Then its a 2023 1st. If its 3rd OA-15th OA, they give it up. You can also only move up 10 slots. So if Chicago barely misses the playoffs, 13th-15th OA. They automatically give it up and aren't eligible for the lottery anyway.
I got that from what Capfriendly says. You don’t “win” the lottery by being bad. You win the lottery by….winning the lottery.

If you have something from the league or source, id like to see it.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Every non-playoff team is in the lottery. The new rule is that you can only move up 10 spots.
Only the bottom 11 teams are eligible for the 1st overall pick, bottom 12 for the 2nd overall pick.
The Hawks would have to finish 13th worst to be ineligible and based on what I've seen they're probably sticking around the back half of the top 10.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Every non-playoff team is in the lottery. The new rule is that you can only move up 10 spots.
Only the bottom 11 teams are eligible for the 1st overall pick, bottom 12 for the 2nd overall pick.
The Hawks would have to finish 13th worst to be ineligible and based on what I've seen they're probably sticking around the back half of the top 10.
Yep, you guys are right. I was thinking about it wrong.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
jones has played great. i still dont mind the trade. very hard to get a 1D in this league. We dont know if the hawks would have taken sillinger. We dont know what will come of the draft pick. Could be a bust could be the next Mcdavid. Way to early to tell.

hawks just gotta find some luck in the draft, trade, free agency, or in prospect development quick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad