Confirmed Trade: [CHI/CBJ] Jones, 2021 1st (32OA), '22 6th for Boqvist, '21 1st (12OA), '21 2nd, '22 1st (protected)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I just don’t get it for Hawks.

Kane has been the biggest reason in recent years for why Hawks have been as good as they have been but the guy is 33y.

Now Hawks gave up their top picks from the following drafts.
They aren’t good enough to day and have a feeling won’t be either once Kanes game drops in few years time

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Not sure what planet Adam Boqvist is elite or that Jones at 27 to start the year is aging.

I would be stunned if Boqvist ever gets top ten in Norris voting. He’s good but he won’t ever be the number one imo. Luckily for the Jackets Werenski likely can
I said elite/top4 and yes 27+ is when long term injuries in pro sports start to become bigger problems.

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018

Kane has been the biggest reason in recent years for why Hawks have been as good as they have been but the guy is 33y.

They aren’t good enough to day and have a feeling won’t be either once Kanes game drops in few years time

Besides the fact that the Hawks don’t believe players like Jones are available very often, this management group has been a complete disaster at developing D man in Chicago. We are easily one of the best at developing forwards and one of the worst at developing D. This has been the case since we brought up Nick Hjalmarsson in the 09 stretch drive.

After the decline of Keith in recent years and now his subsequent departure, it has been years they have wanted another horse to lead the D. It not only was a necessity but allows the rest of our young D to be slotted appropriately and maybe they can develop. None of our D Boqvist included were likely gonna become a true number one D in the mold of Keith, Jones or any of the true 24-25 min a game types.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Giving up their next two 1st round picks AND signing a guy to an enormous contract when the team already has two enormous contracts is just insane.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Predicting that Werenski-Boqvist will be a major analytics darling pairing.

Whether or not they end up actually effective together remains to be seen, of course. Sure as hell hope so.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Besides the fact that the Hawks don’t believe players like Jones are available very often, this management group has been a complete disaster at developing D man in Chicago. We are easily one of the best at developing forwards and one of the worst at developing D. This has been the case since we brought up Nick Hjalmarsson in the 09 stretch drive.

After the decline of Keith in recent years and now his subsequent departure, it has been years they have wanted another horse to lead the D. It not only was a necessity but allows the rest of our young D to be slotted appropriately and maybe they can develop. None of our D Boqvist included were likely gonna become a true number one D in the mold of Keith, Jones or any of the true 24-25 min a game types.

Yea #1 d does not grow on trees. It's good to get them whether you think you are going to contend or not. Because if you are planning on contending better have that #1 d set at least. They can build around him for a while now.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I'm rooting for Boqvist anyway, even though the Hawks traded him. He's in the Eastern conference, doesn't matter much one way or another. Hopefully this is one of those deals similar to another deal in a different sport for another Chicago team where the deal worked great for both sides. The team that acquired the established player got exactly what they were expecting and the team that acquired futures got two studly players out of it.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
I'm rooting for Boqvist anyway, even though the Hawks traded him. He's in the Eastern conference, doesn't matter much one way or another. Hopefully this is one of those deals similar to another deal in a different sport for another Chicago team where the deal worked great for both sides. The team that acquired the established player got exactly what they were expecting and the team that acquired futures got two studly players out of it.

This is how it should be.

A team can get a stud player and the other team can get guys that become stud players. Teams don’t have to WIN trades.

Hope it helps both.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013

The GM is gone in 3 years. Kane will be ok for the next 2. This is a win in 2022 and 2023 move, nothing matters after 2023 july.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The GM is gone in 3 years. Kane will be ok for the next 2. This is a win in 2022 and 2023 move, nothing matters after 2023 july.

Chicago is in no man’s land.

They are not even close to the elite teams

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Chicago is in no man’s land.

They are not even close to the elite teams

Yet they just doled out multiple 1sts for right now defenceman. Delusions of being something when they are out of playoffs pretty certainly.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

Crow

May 19, 2014
Before trade: No way Jarmo gets this or that.

After trade: Boqvist isn't that good anyway. o_O

This was a very good trade for both teams.

The contract is Chicago's business.
Speaking for myself, his potential isn’t even as high as what Seth has already proven to be. And he has injury concerns. I hope he ends up a great player but I have serious doubts.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Speaking for myself, his potential isn’t even as high as what Seth has already proven to be.

Yes of course not. But you didn't have to tell me that. CBJ fans in general have had to counter the analytics folks whom seem to think Jones is a second line defenseman instead of the #1D that he is. Wish he would have stayed around so I could see him with a new coach in Columbus.

And he has injury concerns. I hope he ends up a great player but I have serious doubts.

Honestly I remember him being a pretty high pick a few years back, haven't really followed his progress since that draft and watched all the CBJ games this year and I don't remember being wowed by him. I am also unaware of any injury issues with him so I'll trust that Jarmo & Co have done their homework. Regardless they don't need him to be Seth Jones. They need him to come here and be a good player as a part of a new young core that is yet to be determined in this mini rebuild.

Bottom line Chicago got a great player and CBJ got a great amount of futures including Boqvist. Good hockey trade. Like I said before the contract is Chicago's issue.

Reactions: Crow

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i've always been a fan of Boqvist(wanted the Wings to draft him back in the day) but this is just silly

Boqvist may have twice as many goals as Jones does but Jones has more than 6 times as many assists as Boqvist does

Boqvist is also currently shooting almost 29% as a Defenseman....

Reactions: bh53 and majormajor

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I never understood the trade for CHI, considering they were bottom dwellers, and need to rebuild through the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00