Confirmed Trade: [CHI/CBJ] Jones, 2021 1st (32OA), '22 6th for Boqvist, '21 1st (12OA), '21 2nd, '22 1st (protected)

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Gotta risk it to get the biscuit. Worst case scenario you have an overpaid player and are back to tanking with Kane and Toews on new teams when their deal ends. They owe those guys one last attempt it even if it means looking worse on the other end of the rebuild.

I agree. Watching Patrick Kane in the playoffs in the bubble made me miss Chicago's playoff runs. He was just as electric as he was when he was 25. He's still elite so you have to risk it.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
That seems to be the narrative and that this now the worst contract in the NHL, since that one all encompassing advanced stat that makes the rounds around here says he was bad, a year ago people thought he was a Top 10 D. Who knows.

There are advanced stats that will tell you Phillip Danault is a better player than Stamkos. Majority off them are made up and aren't even needed in the sport.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
There are advanced stats that will tell you Phillip Danault is a better player than Stamkos. Majority off them are made up and aren't even needed in the sport.
I've heard people make that same argument before too :laugh:

People want so hard to make Hockey WAR the same as Baseball WAR, but it just doesn't work like that. Totally different games.

ThePsychicSaw

Jul 24, 2009
Great deal from Chicago in all honesty 9.5 is a steal for Jones
how can 9.5 mil be a STEAL for any caphit, let alone in this particular situation, what are you talking about?

tenor.gif

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I've heard people make that same argument before too :laugh:

People want so hard to make Hockey WAR the same as Baseball WAR, but it just doesn't work like that. Totally different games.

Exactly. They way we have always judged players is perfectly fine. In baseball it didn't quite work because of arbitrary stats like wins and home runs and there not really being a stat for defence.

Advanced stats are more narrative based than anything IMO. You can use them to try and prove your point but its probably not going to work.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Dach isn't going to be ready at the start of the season if I'm not mistaken. He had a pretty significant wrist injury in early May that put him out 4-6 months. What's his status, Hawks fans?
His wrist was still sore is all, so we didn’t bother risking the last three games and sat him. He’ll be 100% when training camp begins.

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
Contender for getting into playoffs, you mean? Because they are certainly not a Cup contender. It's Seth Jones, not Bobby Orr.
Any team that makes the playoffs and has a complete roster willing to play at a level to win, without holes is a contender by virtue of making the playoffs.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
It's not just one stat or graph.

This ginormous deep dive into Seth Jones play shows that his play doesn't match his reputation at all:

Is Seth Jones Actually Elite? - by JFresh - JFresh’s Newsletter (substack.com)

He's still a good player but no one should go around calling him an elite player. If the Hawks are thinking he's a younger Duncan Keith replacement, they will regret it. If they think of him as an overpaid top 4D, they should be happy with his contribution.

I am kind of excited that Chicago went all in. I love watching Patrick Kane play and he's one of the best playoff performers of this generation and I think the moves they are making kind of guarantee that they are at least a playoff team so it will be fun to how they do.

Jones is elite. No amount of "advanced" stats can change that.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I am going to throwup
I hope you saved some until the full deal was announced.

I really don't like to be an ass but this is such a sweet deal for Columbus and seeing the prior threads with Columbus being held by the short hairs, Jones sucks and won't get two good pieces, he's a rental, hell people offering 2nd round picks and Strome. I could go on but it just feels good to see the continued run of solid deals by Jarmo in the face of adversity.

So many said it couldn't be done yet here we are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad