WJC: Cherry's Upcoming Coach's Corner Russian Tirade

Koss

And of course how could he forget to paint the picture of Russians as drunk, disorderly idiots that aren't worthy of the title. That's perfectly fine, right?

Well , Team Canada's women's team did get slagged for frinking and smoking cigars in the rink and called classless after the Olympic win, so it's not to surprising that your junior team of teenagers, who were too drunk to fly should catch some heat.

Having said that, I don't blame them for celebrating a great tournament that team Russia had, but I do question why their flight home was booked for 6am the day after the win.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
awww you upset?

Awwww looks like it's you who's upset here.

Yeah too bad Hockey Canada isn't arrogant enough to hot house players, have them eat, drink, sleep, study and play hockey together, all so they can attempt to dominate tournaments.

Then they can go to the NHL and cry they need money so the NHL gives them 8 million in welfare.

I will give Russia and European countries credit for funding their hockey programs and doing an absolute amazing job of producing top rated talent. Unlike another country that went begging to the NHL for 8 million + a year welfare.
:cry:

Totally relevant stuff there

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Well , Team Canada's women's team did get slagged for frinking and smoking cigars in the rink and called classless after the Olympic win, so it's not to surprising that your junior team of teenagers, who were too drunk to fly should catch some heat.

Having said that, I don't blame them for celebrating a great tournament that team Russia had, but I do question why their flight home was booked for 6am the day after the win.

I agree with you. I would have celebrated just like the Russian kids did. They were awesome and played perfect hockey in the 3rd and totally deserved the win.

I see nothing wrong with it and it wasn't unclassy. (if that's a word):laugh:

But I can imagine how others would have viewed team Canada celebrating that way, if they won.

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
Let's be honest, the Canadian teams of the past probably celebrated just as hard if not harder than the Russians just did.

But they were smart enough not to book a 6am flight out the next morning! :laugh:

Gotta wonder what the Russians were thinking on that one... Perhaps they really didn't believe in the team? Props to the kids for showing them wrong!

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
But they were smart enough not to book a 6am flight out the next morning! :laugh:

Gotta wonder what the Russians were thinking on that one... Perhaps they really didn't believe in the team? Props to the kids for showing them wrong!

this is a part of corruption system in Russia. I'm perfectly sure that according to documents the team stays in a hotel for one/two/three more days. Perhaps, it also "arrived" two/three days early. These money is divided between those responsible for booking/reservation etc. Of course, it is not that much but it is just a small part of. Lowest level of it.

PS I'm not a part of Russian hockey federation :) However, this is how things work "normally" there.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I think most Canadians congratulated Russia.

Maybe you want us to get down on our knees and congratulate you.

I don't give a damn what others think about us.

You don't think our players have pride or appreciate the effort the Russians gave?

Every ****ing game the coach of the losing team says we didn't bring our A game. The opposing team capitalized on our weakness.

Yet Canada does it and we're poor sports.....you guys are a joke.

I challenge some of the members to go and look at all my previous posts congratulating the Russians on a well-deserved win. They won't. It's more fun to bash Canadians.

Poor losers? Not at all. Poor winners, I think so.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
this is a part of corruption system in Russia. I'm perfectly sure that according to documents the team stays in a hotel for one/two/three more days. Perhaps, it also "arrived" two/three days early. These money is divided between those responsible for booking/reservation etc. Of course, it is not that much but it is just a small part of. Lowest level of it.

PS I'm not a part of Russian hockey federation :) However, this is how things work "normally" there.

Really? Wow. I would never have even thought of that. I hope you are wrong, because that is terrible if you are right.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Shows a Ryan Murphy clip. "You tellin' me this guy couldn't have made the difference against the Russians?!?! Whoa!"

Then mentions Duchesne, Skinner, Hall, Kane, Seguin.

Then gives credit for the Russians winning.

Congratulates Team Ontario. Talks about Campagna's goal, and says Canadians are plenty talented.

Salutes the Troops.

Not a bad call.

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario

Actually no.... it was russian christmas the next day, they wanted to be back....

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
I'm not so sure of the conduct of some Canadians part. Are we talking on here? Or in the streets of our major cities rioting?

It's our national winter sport, it's our game HERE. That's not to say, others haven't taken it and play it.

You ask most Canadians what's their game, they say hockey.
You ask most Americans, they say baseball.
I'm sure hockey is someone else's game too.
No where do I say we own the game, just like America doesn't own baseball.

The behaviour of Canadians is no different than anyone else.
The heart of Canadians is no different than anyone else.

I remember some Bills fans getting upset about a few of their games being played in Toronto. Saying things like, it's our game, they're trying to steal it from us.

Canadians are passionate about our game. You can say whatever you want but it is our game....we don't own it though and never will.

Even Bettman says our game. Does that mean only the NHL plays real hockey.

I can't articulate the way you do, hopefully you don't see me as condescending. Just trying to explain the way I see things and meaning no disrespect to anyone.

No. The most popular sport in America by far is Football.

RiotAct

Panickin' 4 Hanifin
Feb 28, 2007
Old Dominion State
Or when you express any sort of disapproval with his incessant prattling over dying soldiers on a program that's supposed to be about hockey, and then everyone blows a gasket and insinuates that you hate your country and probably caused 9/11

I have absolutely no problem with the bits he does for the troops at the end of his segments. I think it's classy of him

(I'm American, btw).

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003

professor_frink.jpg

Glavin!

Fire Lindy

Trust the System
Jan 3, 2011
I will give Russia and European countries credit for funding their hockey programs and doing an absolute amazing job of producing top rated talent. Unlike another country that went begging to the NHL for 8 million + a year welfare.

I've read a few of your posts and you seem pretty fixated on this 8 million dollar thing. Most NHL teams are in America, it makes sense for them to try and grow the game here by giving money to the junior program.

The NHL gave USA hockey 8 million dollars in 2009,before that, the amounts were too small to even bother mentioning, you really think that's why USA hockey is where it is today? Lets not be idiotic..plus, 8mil is not really much money when you consider how many registered players are in the US..and they just received that money, you're acting like they've been getting 8 mil per year over the past decade!

Last edited:

Pushkin

Aug 29, 2010
All around Don did a decent speach. Remember this wasn't the 99-02-03-04 final Canada lost that way then Canada was on a run of 7 years without the Gold and the players and HockeyCanada was accuses of producing not enough quality players...Now it's 2 Silvers after 5 Golds...But it's a little worrying losing two gold medal games at home like this...

DahaRussia

Jan 7, 2011
I challenge some of the members to go and look at all my previous posts congratulating the Russians on a well-deserved win. They won't. It's more fun to bash Canadians.
Poor losers? Not at all. Poor winners, I think so.
Why?
We are able both to lose, and to win. With advantage!
Excuse my English.

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
baseball is still called americas game. just as detriot is hockeytown or the cowboys are america's team.

Your argument against football being the most popular sport in the U.S., is "baseball is still called americas game" ? You want to ignore youth membership, TV viewership, etc? And your second sentence rambling on about hockey town or Cowboys has only to do with marketing. If you really think the Redwings are more popular than the Pistons, you obviously do not have a clue. Same with State of Hockey. No one in Minnesota would tell you that the Vikings take a back seat to anyone in that state as a whole.

The US and what is popular has everything to do with each region. Top athletes in Indiana will lean towards basketball and football and in Texas they will lean towards football and baseball. Obviously this doesn't mean that basketball is not popular in Texas or baseball is not popular in Indiana. Each region will have the majority of top athletes lean towards the popular sport in that region.

There are many popular sports in the U.S., and each one will pull some of the top athletes away from other sports. I bet the football team at Lebron James high school would have loved to have him show up at the first practice one day.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Why?
We are able both to lose, and to win. With advantage!
Excuse my English.

I was not talking about the players.

I was talking about several people on here who have constantly badmouthed Hockey Canada and Canadians in general.

The Russian players...I thought they were terrific!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad