WJC: Cherry's Upcoming Coach's Corner Russian Tirade

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
And what am I supposed to do with such a short answer, with you giving nothing but a general disapproval? It becomes nothing but a redundancy. Don't tell me you're a nationalist.

Thats dissrespectful, quick appologise before someones feelings gets hurt!:laugh:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
He loves his "wobbly pops" and he loves teams that try really hard so he should praise the Russians for everything they did. What really happens tomorrow...that's another story!

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I think he'll praise the Russians for showing heart. Won't be happy about the celebrating, probably, but then he never is about celebrating any way other than the Bobby way.
I actually agree with this, Cherry is all about heart and this Russian team is one he would like, or at least grudgingly respect. He's getting old and is not as ridiculous/reactionary as he used to be. I do expect him to mention Ryan Murphy, bring up the Russian celebration/drinking, and he'll probably quickly mention all the talented guys in the NHL (Duchene, Hall, Seguin, etc.), but I think the overall tone of his talk will be "Russia played great and deserved the win, the Canadian boys played well too and deserve congratulations for the silver."

pouskin74*

The bolded part is not totally relevant to this particular championship as an excuse and full credit to the Russians but in my mind it is something worth bringing up if people are discussing the overall strength of junior aged players for countries. The year of the lockout when Canada had all of their junior eligible players they totally destroyed the field from start to finish if I recall.

that was great team but not because of lockout year but because there was so many good prospects in Canada at that time! i think about 7-8 players from that team would belong to current National Team Canada-Crosby,Perry,Seabrook,Weber,Getzlaf,Richards,Carter,Phaneuf.. just unbelievable!

Kyle Doobas*

That happens in Canada too?
lol, you'd be surprised. Despite the stereotype portrayed in the media, a lot of Canadians are actually:

1) "right-wing"
2) homophobic
3) racist
4) fat
5) supportive of murdering innocent people for oil

Oh, and our beer isn't actually stronger, despite all the Canadian bragging about how much better our beer is. Get a clear plastic cup of Molson Canadian, one of Budweiser, and another of dirty water and I'll give you $100 if you can spot any difference whatsoever between the three.

Honestly, I think the only true difference between Canadians and Americans is bagged milk and the pronunciation of the words "house" or "about"

And then you answer: "Your ignorant insinuations make me believe you are alot closer to causing - and supporting - catastrophies than I ever will be. When said corrupt nations support mass murder and mass oppression of ourselves and the destruction of other cultures, and actually fund them with taxes, it's not that hard to take a step back and ask wth is going on here."
What scares me most about them is that they're the type to push the big red button just to get rid of the other people who they thought would push it first, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
I got money saying he mention Canada probably could have iced two teams
-and that the Russians celebrated classlessly
-and that they shame their country getting kicked off their plane and Canadian kids would never behave inappropriatly
-probably a shot at all the slumping Russians stars this year
-And that if Canada had just hit harder they would have won, or something close.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I actually agree with this, Cherry is all about heart and this Russian team is one he would like, or at least grudgingly respect. He's getting old and is not as ridiculous/reactionary as he used to be. I do expect him to mention Ryan Murphy, bring up the Russian celebration/drinking, and he'll probably quickly mention all the talented guys in the NHL (Duchene, Hall, Seguin, etc.), but I think the overall tone of his talk will be "Russia played great and deserved the win, the Canadian boys played well too and deserve congratulations for the silver."

I think you are probably right on all counts.

People expecting him to say something controversial are usually the ones who only listen to soundbites of him anyway - or more appropriately, READ what he has said, as most of the "controversial" stuff is taken out of context.

Don Cherry is part hockey lover, part Canada supporter, and on an even larger scale, part comedian. I have never understood how people can get angry about what comes out of his mouth.

I once saw him do a Coaches Corner about how women should stop yapping during games because it distracts him. People actually freaked out about this. I say this to my wife every night. She has a sense of humor, so we laugh. We are too PC nowadays.

PensBeerGeek

May 1, 2007
Washington, PA
Any chance he brings up the fact that it was Canadian Development (tm) that helped Igor Bobkov come in and stop the bleeding and help the Russians to victory?

forecheck

May 14, 2007
So it will be the same old song and dance from xenophobe cherry. He makes me embarrassed to be canadian. And no he doesn't set any good example for kids, regardless of his self-aggrandization.

Hey Doc.. Why dont you move if your emabrassed

feds91

May 17, 2004
Don Cherry is a senile buffoon. His fan have a combined I.Q. of 12. Phaneuf should have been awarder the Calder ahead of Crosby and Ovechkin, Jordan Staal will become a better player than Crosby and Malkin, only women get hit by pucks in stands cuz of their constant yapping, Russians are nothing, N-O-T-H-I-N-G, nothing! Darcy Tucker is HOCKEY but Carcillo, Cooke and Avery are cheap shot artists, Brule is better than Crosby, he butchers on purpose European and Quebec players names, Pavel Bure said i won't play game 7 in the playoffs unless you pay me 7 mil, Pat Quin said it's not even true that Cherry is just prejudice, Kingston is the best, Montreal is awful... complete whack job! :help:

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
I can't believe how some people get so worked up about this guy. As someone said here already, most of all he is a comedian!

A lot of people just watch him for fun, for entertainment. He's fun to watch. And I'm sure a lot of people don't take him as an authority to how you should think about hockey or the world. And then there are these people who say he's bad example for kids and blablabla. C'mon, play some video games, watch MTV. That's more to worry about than old Mr. Cherry. At least it's just hockey too.

He's entertainment. Why so serious? Get some real problems or things to worry.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

I'm not sure how Cherry can have anything to say about that. I'm still speechless. Honestly the only thing I could muster up after that loss was edit:I don't want another infraction:sarcasm:

Pushkin

Aug 29, 2010
The best Cherry looked after a JR loss was in 2000 that was priceless. He was so genuinely disgusted by the Canadian Media who were praising the skilled Russians and the no-talent Canadians! The thing is at that time they were right!

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
lol, you'd be surprised. Despite the stereotype portrayed in the media, a lot of Canadians are actually:

1) "right-wing"
2) homophobic
3) racist
4) fat
5) supportive of murdering innocent people for oil

Oh, and our beer isn't actually stronger, despite all the Canadian bragging about how much better our beer is. Get a clear plastic cup of Molson Canadian, one of Budweiser, and another of dirty water and I'll give you $100 if you can spot any difference whatsoever between the three.

Honestly, I think the only true difference between Canadians and Americans is bagged milk and the pronunciation of the words "house" or "about"

What scares me most about them is that they're the type to push the big red button just to get rid of the other people who they thought would push it first, lol.

Most countries have what you listed in terms of people beeing racist etc its not just canada.Aslo beeing on the right side of things people have that right and many countries besides canada aslo do have people on both sides.

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Don Cherry is a senile buffoon. His fan have a combined I.Q. of 12. Phaneuf should have been awarder the Calder ahead of Crosby and Ovechkin, Jordan Staal will become a better player than Crosby and Malkin, only women get hit by pucks in stands cuz of their constant yapping, Russians are nothing, N-O-T-H-I-N-G, nothing! Darcy Tucker is HOCKEY but Carcillo, Cooke and Avery are cheap shot artists, Brule is better than Crosby, he butchers on purpose European and Quebec players names, Pavel Bure said i won't play game 7 in the playoffs unless you pay me 7 mil, Pat Quin said it's not even true that Cherry is just prejudice, Kingston is the best, Montreal is awful... complete whack job! :help:

Well at least he got one thing right. :nod:

I R Baboon

Feb 23, 2010
So.. when does it start and is there any way to watch it online? I guess I'll have to wait for this thread to erupt though.

This thread is already showing great potential.

washcaps008*

The only thing i respect Don Cherry for, is 1 thing:
During Christmas, he reminds the kids what it is about!
not gifts
but Jesus Christ, God in the flesh!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->