WJC: Cherry's Upcoming Coach's Corner Russian Tirade

DahaRussia

Jan 7, 2011
I was not talking about the players.

I was talking about several people on here who have constantly badmouthed Hockey Canada and Canadians in general.
The Russian players...I thought they were terrific!
О, yes, thanks! But the main thing in them - Russian character!
Do not pay attention to those people who says scurrilous things about Canadians!
In Russia there are odious people. But where there are no such people?
Such people tell rough things not only to the opponent, but also compatriots! They everywhere will write rough things. Do not pay attention.
The majority of Russian people respect the Canadian players! I hope that this mutual respect! ;)

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Your argument against football being the most popular sport in the U.S., is "baseball is still called americas game" ? You want to ignore youth membership, TV viewership, etc? And your second sentence rambling on about hockey town or Cowboys has only to do with marketing. If you really think the Redwings are more popular than the Pistons, you obviously do not have a clue. Same with State of Hockey. No one in Minnesota would tell you that the Vikings take a back seat to anyone in that state as a whole.

The US and what is popular has everything to do with each region. Top athletes in Indiana will lean towards basketball and football and in Texas they will lean towards football and baseball. Obviously this doesn't mean that basketball is not popular in Texas or baseball is not popular in Indiana. Each region will have the majority of top athletes lean towards the popular sport in that region.

There are many popular sports in the U.S., and each one will pull some of the top athletes away from other sports. I bet the football team at Lebron James high school would have loved to have him show up at the first practice one day.

He actually was an All-State caliber Wide Receiver in Ohio (a big football producing state) and could have gone onto D-1 and likely an NFL career if he chose to pursue football over basketball.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Yakushev 72

The problem with Don Cherry shooting his mouth off is that he tends to forget when he was a coach himself. He apparently forgets that he was the feminine pansy on January 8, 1976, when CSKA (Red Army) came into the Boston Garden and laid a 5-2 whipping on his big, bad Boston Bruins in front of a full house of very dejected fans. He forgives himself for the incompetence that he displayed, then pillories others who also lose. Nobody takes him seriously as a hockey mind - he's always been just an entertainer, except the best part of his act was always his dog, Blue.

Pushkin

Aug 29, 2010
AHAHAHAHAH That was a great one! It's funny how the canadians complain the Soviet were playing all year round together but when the Soviets club teams came to play the best club teams from the NHL...The Soviets hold a very big advatange!

This was one of the better ones! Imagine if it would be like in Football where the next week those Cherry Bruins had to go play in old Luzhniki arena!!!!!

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
He actually was an All-State caliber Wide Receiver in Ohio (a big football producing state) and could have gone onto D-1 and likely an NFL career if he chose to pursue football over basketball.

I did not know that. How many years did he play high school in football?

rushockey

Oct 4, 2010
Calgary
www.rushockey.com
One of the weakest Coach's corners ever. I can't believe Ron Mclean, a very serious journalist still participates in this and not only that but he doesn't even share his opinion on this program anymore, which makes it a complete waste of time.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
One of the weakest Coach's corners ever. I can't believe Ron Mclean, a very serious journalist still participates in this and not only that but he doesn't even share his opinion on this program anymore, which makes it a complete waste of time.

It's pretty much a ventriloquest act/ "outrage" oiece all in one.

People want to see outrageous opinions because even though they don't usually agree, they watch to see what crazy thing happens next. Ron is just the straight man.

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
You'd have to be a pretty blatant Russian homer to have any serious problem with the last Coach's Corner. Whatever you think of Don Cherry, nothing he said was untrue or out of line. Not sure anything short of a serenade of man-love for Team Russia would have made a lot of you happy.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
You'd have to be a pretty blatant Russian homer to have any serious problem with the last Coach's Corner. Whatever you think of Don Cherry, nothing he said was untrue or out of line. Not sure anything short of a serenade of man-love for Team Russia would have made a lot of you happy.

I think a simple acknowledgement of Russia's feat would have been enough for most people.....especially considering Cherry is proponent of a 'heart/effort' hockey.

It's fine to be biased, however to refuse to give credit where credit is due (because of winner's nationality nonetheless) but instead focus on the 'drinking' fiasco is rather shady. But, then again, this is Cherry we're talking about.:laugh:

DahaRussia

Jan 7, 2011
It - NOT the truth! :shakehead

Michigander88

Jan 5, 2011
Michigan
If you really think the Redwings are more popular than the Pistons, you obviously do not have a clue

I don't know if you mean more popular across the U.S. or just the region, but you are completely backwards if you think the Pistons are more popular than the Red Wings around the Michigan area, especially IN Michigan. Barely anyone cares about the Pistons or the NBA for that matter, save for a weak fanbase in the Detroit area but that small corner of the state is about it.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
His face and voice are so hilarious when he starts going all "unlike those Russians" :laugh:

His profound hatred for Europeans and Russians in particular always makes for some great comedy. He just couldn't find it in him to give them some credit, not that I was expecting him to.

Michigander88

Jan 5, 2011
Michigan
His face and voice are so hilarious when he starts going all "unlike those Russians" :laugh:

His profound hatred for Europeans and Russians in particular always makes for some great comedy. He just couldn't find it in him to give them some credit, not that I was expecting him to.

I agree. The main reason I watch him is for comedy, he's definitely better than Saturday Night Live. Only thing is you have to take his rants with a grain of salt:laugh:

DahaRussia

Jan 7, 2011
Okay you're going to have to give us a bit more than that. What exactly do you have a problem with from that particular episode of Coach's Corner? What particular thing did he say that was not true?
Cherry not true in the dislike the Russians!
Only and in total.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site

Ron MacLean is a serious journalist ? He was a weather man, who suddenly got the HNIC top gig when Dave Hodge got fired.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Ron MacLean is a serious journalist ? He was a weather man, who suddenly got the HNIC top gig when Dave Hodge got fired.

From Wikipedia:

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

Sergei DRW

Nov 17, 2010

If the only words he had to say about Team Russia is their drinking celebration and not the greatest comeback based on "heart/effort" that Don Cherry so much likes, then this program was a BIG FAIL.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
If the only words he had to say about Team Russia is their drinking celebration and not the greatest comeback based on "heart/effort" that Don Cherry so much likes, then this program was a BIG FAIL.

When Ron MacLean's most common phrase in the show these days is "we don't have a lot of time" and they had other topics as well then what do you expect? Besides, he doesn't do the show for the Russian audience and you're not supposed to take him too seriously anyway.

ed bruin

Feb 14, 2010
Newton
just saw it, minus the drinking incident not really that bad, but reading off the eligible players for Canada was pretty lame even though he said the team was great

CanadienErrant*

just saw it, minus the drinking incident not really that bad, but reading off the eligible players for Canada was pretty lame even though he said the team was great

Of course. The head coach was a good boy from Ontario as well as the loosing goalie...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad