Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
to sum it up

He will tell ron to shove it

Mention Jack Martin haha

Say Ryan Murphy should have been on team

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
The extremely Can-Hockey-nationalistic mogul and self-centered wiseacre Don Cherry will never admit that the Russians deserved the gold. No way. He will try to focus on the coaching, the hours of sleep, the arena - everything not related to the Russian skill factor. In his book, no other team deserves to win. Anything. And according to Cherry, the reason Canada loses - regardless when - it is simply because of the lack of concentration, focus and will of the Canadians. Truth of the matter is - there is no other team capable of beating Canada. When a team beats Canada, easily or with struggle, it is never the team itself that made a great game - it is the Canadians who just didn't want to win.

Don Cherry is one funny old timer. He is gonna talk about how "lucky" the Russians were to play against a tired, unfocused Canadian team. Because they would never win otherwise. According to Cherry.

And I can guarantee (well) that he will trash talk their "alcohol abuse" and how a disgrace the Russians are to the lovely game of hockey.

its sad but true. he´s on TV becasue people need clowns.

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
"You have the kid Ku+NAE-sov and the kid tara-Dank-o....bunch of buffoons...you let those kids dance and prance with the puck. Bobby Orr wouldn't have allowed that. That's all I got to say about that. Support the troops like Bobby Orr would do."

Hahahaha, Did he said this?

Bobby Orr he wouldn´t play these day, you buffoon He pretty old yknow. Orr was better than Lidstrom blabla, yeah right. Anyway, Don you are a buffoon.

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia
Can't wait for one of the greatest Canadians ever to give his take. Definitely will let Canadians know we are still the best. He'll like be 99% right yet mispronounce a European's name and people will call him an idiot because it's cool.

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
He will rip Russia for being rude and winning in front of the Canadian crowd, and Sweden for being unsportsmanlike in general, and also anyone wearing a visor as long as they are born in Europe or Quebec. He will praise last year's Olympics and the good old days of rock'em sock'em hockey. He will also wear an outfit of unknown origin that makes Krusty the Clown look like a well-dressed attorney in comparison.

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC
A lof of Canadians can deny this all they want, but if the most watched television show in Canadian history offers this blowhard two minutes of soap box time for almost 20 years, you cant tell me the majority of his audience don't really echo his sentiments. Well, at least privately.

That's why you get these stupid arrogant fans holding signs that say "Our Game" or "Cup Belongs to Canada". And when reality smacks them in the face, like in 1996 or 1998 or 2006 or the last two WJC's, they don't know what hit them. And then win they bounce back and win a gold, it's always this "Rightful Champions" BS.

It's the same thing when our U.S. President's keep saying America is the "Greatest County in the World". After a while, everybody else is going to get sick and tired of hearing it and eventually start getting angry, to the point where you almost become an enemy

When USA Basketball was embarrassed in Athens in 2004, pretty much every American fan, expert and even NBA player accepted the fact that the World had caught up to us and that the US was certainly not basketball royalty.

Time for Don Cherry to do the same. Nobody owns hockey -- no matter what percentage of a country's population knows how to backskate by the age of 4.

Still, we should all know what to expect. Cherry is a relic. No way he changes his tune.

Americans still consider ourselves "basketball royalty" (if by basketball royalty you mean the country that produces the best basketball players in the world.)

We no longer consider ourselves invincible in international competitions, and it's true that our respect for the quality of opposition we face at the Olympics and other international events has risen appreciably, but we certainly don't think that any country churns out the level of talent that we do on a consistent basis, or that we should be anything but the favorites in any international tournament that we enter in that particular sport if we send our best players.

I'm not sure if that reads hubristic, I hope it doesn't (just addressing the point you made), but the U.S. is the #1 ranked basketball country in the world by FIBA, basketball's international governing body. We're also the current Olympic and World Championship winners, so we technically are basketball royalty in fact (by we I simply mean the team representing our country.)

NewEnglandSportsFan*

I'm hard already and it's only Thursday morning.

Hopefully the first and last time it happens because of an old white senile man in a pimp costume... :help:

I hope I am not the only one that finds this post revolting, regardless if it is literal or not. That's puke-in-your-mouth gross.

In any case, he's a clown nowadays and what he says really matters very little.

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
+1.

He won't make any excuses such as those offered in other posts. He will also lecture those in the country who criticized the Canadian team after the loss. He will say the Russians for once played as a team, something Canadians always do by the way, not as a bunch of individuals.

He will rip the Swedish coach for the comments at the press conference and the team for putting the sign on the dressing room door.

What the hell?

Kajax

May 8, 2009
Quebec City
He should shows up in some russian traditional costume.

russian_costume08.jpg

:laugh:

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC
I'll add one more thing. The biggest problem most people I know have with Canada's attitude toward hockey isn't that they think they're the best, hell their case is just as strong as anyone else's in the matter (perhaps stronger), it's that they can be such poor losers in defeat, and they say such ridiculously selfish and self-serving **** like "this is our game!" That **** bugs non-Canadian fans of hockey to no end. You created and popularized the game sure, but now it's grown beyond the reaches of your borders. It's the world's game now (although you guys still hold a special place in the pantheon of great hockey countries.)

Really, it would be the equivalent of American's at every basketball or baseball event held internationally claiming that the competition essentially plays an inferior brand of said sport, and that the one true proprietors of the sport were there to teach them the other sports loving nations a lesson. The sport has become globalized, so it's EVERY country that has a strong hockey program's sport now, the game doesn't belong to you. You don't hear the ****ing Greeks still telling people that Democracy belongs to them do you? I realize that Greece would still have to be a dominant world power geopolitically for that analogy to be perfect, but still. Stop spouting that extremely condescending nonsense and the vitriol Canada faces from other fans will subside some (it won't disappear of course, but other countries won't view you guys as the evil empire.)

Also, you have to learn to lose with grace (that's right, an American is telling you guys that you need lessons in humility in this particular area. It's really come to this.) It dishonors the competition when you don't accept that other countries deserve credit for their successes in these tournaments. Self-examination is fine, but incessant excuse making just comes across as petulant attempts to de-legitimize your opponent.

I did a lot of generalizing, but you have to generalize to make any type of grand pronouncement, so I did. I realize that there are Canadians that don't have any of the negative qualities typically associated with Canadian nationalistic fandom (or nationalistc fervor in general), and I want to point that out. There were some awesome responses on HFB from some fans of the Maple Leaf after the loss to Russia, and they deserve praise.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I'll add one more thing. The biggest problem most people I know have with Canada's attitude toward hockey isn't that they think they're the best, hell their case is just as strong as anyone else's in the matter (perhaps stronger), it's that they can be such poor losers in defeat, and they say such ridiculously selfish and self-serving **** like "this is our game!" That **** bugs non-Canadian fans of hockey to no end. You created and popularized the game sure, but now it's grown beyond the reaches of your borders. It's the world's game now (although you guys still hold a special place in the pantheon of great hockey countries.)

Really, it would be the equivalent of American's at every basketball or baseball event held internationally claiming that the competition essentially plays an inferior brand of said sport, and that the one true proprietors of the sport were there to teach them the other sports loving nations a lesson. The sport has become globalized, so it's EVERY country that has a strong hockey program's sport now, the game doesn't belong to you. You don't hear the ****ing Greeks still telling people that Democracy belongs to them do you? I realize that Greece would still have to be a dominant world power geopolitically for that analogy to be perfect, but still. Stop spouting that extremely condescending nonsense and the vitriol Canada faces from other fans will subside some (it won't disappear of course, but other countries won't view you guys as the evil empire.)

Also, you have to learn to lose with grace (that's right, an American is telling you guys that you need lessons in humility in this particular area. It's really come to this.) It dishonors the competition when you don't accept that other countries deserve credit for their successes in these tournaments. Self-examination is fine, but incessant excuse making just comes across as petulant attempts to de-legitimize your opponent.

I did a lot of generalizing, but you have to generalize to make any type of grand pronouncement, so I did. I realize that there are Canadians that don't have any of the negative qualities typically associated with Canadian nationalistic fandom (or nationalistc fervor in general), and I want to point that out. There were some awesome responses on HFB from some fans of the Maple Leaf after the loss to Russia, and they deserve praise.

It is our game. As baseball is Americas game. I don't understand the juvenile rantings of some who get pissed off because we say it.

You want to talk about people going overboard? You don't think your fellow country men/women don't? Don't be so damn naive.

A few years ago I attended the little league world series. The comments from SOME Americans towards players and parents of other countries was deplorable and far worse than anything I have ever seen from Canadians at any hockey tournament......and the kids in the LLWS are 11 and 12. Give me a break!

Last edited:

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Yakushev 72

I never saw the point of discussing who wasn't there. There were no posts from Canada that I saw early in the Tournament saying that Canada was incapable of winning a Gold Medal because of the missing junior aged players in the NHL. The point from Beerfish about the 2005 Canadian team is well made. But even without a strike, few of the 2005 team members were really integral parts of their NHL team, so they probably would have played on loan anyway. Still, a number of teams played Canada close (e.g., the Czechs lost 3-1). Russia was a mediocre team, despite the two stars (Ovechkin, Malkin), but the Canadians probably won 6-1 when they came at the Russians with a heavy body attack, just like this year and every year since 2005. This year shows that the body assault, despite Don Cherry's preaching to the contrary, has a shorter shelf-life than legend goes. This year the heavy hits were ineffective, and no doubt contributed to Canada's apparent exhaustion in the third period.

To be balanced, let's not forget that there were some Russians missing, including two of their very best, Aeksandr Burmistrov and Aleksandr Avtsin. Burmistrov's absence is understandable, because if you are skating a regular shift in the NHL and are needed by your club, that's a good reason for the team not to make the player available to the Russian team. But in the case of Avstin, he plays in the AHL, and I see no justification for denying him to the Russians because of minor league regular season. Of course, because almost all General Managers in the AHL are Canadians, this raises the suspicion that there might be a little patriotism at work.

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC
It is our game. As baseball is Americas game. I don't understand the juvenile rantings of some who get pissed off because we say it.

You want to talk about people going over board? You don't think your fellow country men/women don't? Don't be so damn naive.

A few years ago I attended the little league world series. The comments from SOME Americans towards players and parents of other countries was deplorable and far worse than anything I have ever seen from Canadians at any hockey tournament......and the kids in the LLWS are 11 and 12. Give me a break!

I'm not here to get into a pissing match with you about which country handles setbacks in international competition most shamefully.. I was referring to a particular sport, so I talked about the dominant country in sport. If I was posting in a basketball forum I'd have some perhaps unwelcome critiques about American hubris in that sport. If I was posting in a soccer forum I'd probably rail against European or South American vainglory. I know that American's have their failings in the sports arena as well, and those missteps too should be condemned. Not sure how that admission makes you feel better about the conduct of some Canadians after they saw their country lose a tournament for teenagers. I hate to analogize again, but it would be like your defense in court to charges of stabbing a guy would be to point out that you once knew a guy that shot someone. Doesn't alter the fact that your behavior was unjustified.

And you can continue to be so myopic as to parrot that "our game" spiel. Just know that it comes across as extremely provincial and steeped in the type of shibboleth that most countries have sinced moved on from. You don't hear the English harp on the fact that they own soccer. You don't hear Americans talk about the fact that they OWN basketball or baseball (a Canadian actually invented basketball, but he did it in America and it obviously developed here and gained it's popularity here.) Those countries often point out their proud history in the sport and how they were essential to the growth and development of the respective sports they created or helped create, but all of those games (like hockey) have become globalized over time. Countries have borrowed schematically from other countries, they have learned different coaching techniques or playing syles or benefited from spectacular individual talents from other countries, so each of those sports have grown because of their immersion with different cultures around the world. They've been improved because of the very fact that they are not owned by a particular country.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I'm not here to get into a pissing match with you about which country handles setbacks in international competition most shamefully.. I was referring to a particular sport, so I talked about the dominant country in sport. If I was posting in a basketball forum I'd have some perhaps unwelcome critiques about American hubris in that sport. If I was posting in a soccer forum I'd probably rail against European or South American vainglory. I know that American's have their failings in the sports arena as well, and those missteps too should be condemned. Not sure how that admission makes you feel better about the conduct of some Canadians after they saw their country lose a tournament for teenagers. I hate to analogize again, but it would be like your defense in court to charges of stabbing a guy would be to point out that you once knew a guy that shot someone. Doesn't alter the fact that your behavior was unjustified.

And you can continue to be so myopic as to parrot that "our game" spiel. Just know that it comes across as extremely provincial and steeped in the type of shibboleth that most countries have sinced moved on from. You don't hear the English harp on the fact that they own soccer. You don't hear Americans talk about the fact that they OWN basketball or baseball (a Canadian actually invented basketball, but he did it in America and it obviously developed here and gained it's popularity here.) Those countries often point out their proud history in the sport and how they were essential to the growth and development of the respective sports they created or helped create, but all of those games (like hockey) have become globalized over time. Countries have borrowed schematically from other countries, they have learned different coaching techniques or playing syles or benefited from spectacular individual talents from other countries, so each of those sports have grown because of their immersion with different cultures around the world. They've been improved because of the very fact that they are not owned by a particular country.

I'm not so sure of the conduct of some Canadians part. Are we talking on here? Or in the streets of our major cities rioting?

It's our national winter sport, it's our game HERE. That's not to say, others haven't taken it and play it.

You ask most Canadians what's their game, they say hockey.
You ask most Americans, they say baseball.
I'm sure hockey is someone else's game too.
No where do I say we own the game, just like America doesn't own baseball.

The behaviour of Canadians is no different than anyone else.
The heart of Canadians is no different than anyone else.

I remember some Bills fans getting upset about a few of their games being played in Toronto. Saying things like, it's our game, they're trying to steal it from us.

Canadians are passionate about our game. You can say whatever you want but it is our game....we don't own it though and never will.

Even Bettman says our game. Does that mean only the NHL plays real hockey.

I can't articulate the way you do, hopefully you don't see me as condescending. Just trying to explain the way I see things and meaning no disrespect to anyone.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
I'm not so sure of the conduct of some Canadians part. Are we talking on here? Or in the streets of our major cities rioting?

It's our national winter sport, it's our game HERE. That's not to say, others haven't taken it and play it.

I remember some Bills fans getting upset about a few of their games being played in Toronto. Saying things like, it's our game, they're trying to steal it from us.

Canadians are passionate about our game. You can say whatever you want but it is our game....we don't own it though and never will.

I can't articulate the way you do, hopefully you don't see me as condescending. Just trying to explain the way I see things and meaning no disrespect to anyone.

You serious? xD If you tell a swede whats wrong with him he'll probbably agree with it if the math adds upp. If you tell a canadian he was bad in one game the whole beehive gonna explode screaming for respect :rolleyes:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
You serious? xD If you tell a swede whats wrong with him he'll probbably agree with it if the math adds upp. If you tell a canadian he was bad in one game the whole beehive gonna explode screaming for respect :rolleyes:

You're talking about a Canadian hockey player doing that?

Sorry I can't believe that.

gongshowmonkey

Sep 10, 2008
Here's what Saturday will look like.

Intro music

Shut up Ron let me speak

Russia sucks

Canada's awesome, makes reference to gold in Vancouver

Shut up Ron

Butcher every Euro name he can think of

Support our troops.

you forget the Leafs in there?

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
You're talking about a Canadian hockey player doing that?

Sorry I can't believe that.

On about my grammar? shows how much you have to say.
And no i didnt mean one player:laugh:
Where you been the last week? you just have to know what you see and believe it to be true ;)

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
On about my grammar? shows how much you have to say.
And no i didnt mean one player:laugh:
Where you been the last week? you just have to know what you see and believe it to be true ;)

I mean no disrespect to you. I have no idea what you're trying to say.

obsenssive*

does anybody outside of kingston actually watch CC anymore?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah I'm on board thinking a lot of people are going to be eating crow here and have their strawman picture of Cherry deflated. Yes he loves to rant and rave about stuff and always love Canada first, but he's still a hockey guy first and the Russian kids l deserve full credit for a good hard fought win. I think at worst he'll compare it to a 'Canadian like' effort.

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC

You're simply stating your opinion, no hard feelings. I'll just say that when I see Canadians holding up signs that say "Our Game", I take the implication to mean 'we own this game, we are the best at this game, our brand of hockey is the pre-eminent type of hockey going'. It's a person's right in a free society to voice his opinion on a particular subject save for a few extreme circumstances, but the inevitable result of that type of exclusionary message is to create resentment in those being excluded.

Also, I have a friend from Buffalo, and from what I can tell, Bills fans weren't worried about Canada being included in the NFL, they were worried about losing their team. They would have had the same concerns if the game was played in L.A.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

When the World Baseball Classic occured I didn't see any Americans having signs stating "It's Our Game". Samething goes for basketball.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad