WJC: Cherry's Upcoming Coach's Corner Russian Tirade

unknown33

Dec 8, 2009
It's a shame that most people here think Don Cherry is a clown.
That guy knows a lot about hockey and most of what is says is 100% spot on. You kids should listen to him!

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
It's a shame that most people here think Don Cherry is a clown.
That guy knows a lot about hockey and most of what is says is 100% spot on. You kids should listen to him!

But surely you can understand why people get irritated by him too. I know I was when he blatantly ignored Hedman in the opening segment of this video. Very odd conduct.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
I think Cherry is awesome and right most of the time. I don't care if he is totally pro-Canadian biased. He is Canadian isn't he?

Anyway - I think of "Canadian-style hockey" as a description of north-american hockey. Americans play the same style as Canada anyways IMO.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
But surely you can understand why people get irritated by him too. I know I was when he blatantly ignored Hedman in the opening segment of this video. Very odd conduct.

I'm suprised he let hedman introduce himself;) pitty he didn't have the balls to dissmiss victor in person.

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
I think Cherry is awesome and right most of the time. I don't care if he is totally pro-Canadian biased. He is Canadian isn't he?

Anyway - I think of "Canadian-style hockey" as a description of north-american hockey. Americans play the same style as Canada anyways IMO.

There is pro-Canadian bias, and then there is being xenophobic. Claiming the Russians are N-O-T-H-I-N-G, getting angry at the Czechs, Slovaks, and the Germans being in an international tournament despite the Czechs being world champs at that time.

It's ridiculous

rangersfan212

Jun 18, 2010
The Island
he should simply tell the truth

Russia was superior, more skilled and more passionate. they had players who could skate end to end, which is absurd at that age and rag the puck. Russia was better and deserved to win

Canada might have choked but they did so because they were an inferior team with less talent and was made to look foolish by speed and skill over last 25+ minutes

Canada is not that good. Peaked vs US, who was worse

deer in the headlisghts starring the hicks from Canada

Oct 18, 2010

he mispronounced brayden schenn's name, what a bigot

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
When the World Baseball Classic occured I didn't see any Americans having signs stating "It's Our Game". Same thing goes for basketball.

Exactly what I was getting at.

And you know why? Because the average American sports fan doesnt base their patriotism on insignificant international sports competitions.

But it's silly for us Americans to wonder why Canadians are so freakishly nuts when it comes to stuff like the WJC;s. Here in America we have the NFL, College Bowls and the NBA to keep our sports markets preoccupied.

What does Canada have in late December? The Raptors and Speedskating?

The third story on TSN.ca is Josh Gorges knee injury. LOL they didnt even mention the Garza trade.

I dont have a problem with die-hard fans...but the whole sense of ownership is sooooooo friggin stupid. I mean, I'm a yankees fan, and all the times I saw the Yanks not win a World Series, I certainly didn't think "That trophy belongs to NY" or "Baseball is NY's game"

xtr3m

Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver
Canadian players come to the stadium in suits and stuff while those goons get drunk and almost hijack a plane!

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Exactly what I was getting at.

And you know why? Because the average American sports fan doesnt base their patriotism on insignificant international sports competitions.

But it's silly for us Americans to wonder why Canadians are so freakishly nuts when it comes to stuff like the WJC;s. Here in America we have the NFL, College Bowls and the NBA to keep our sports markets preoccupied.

What does Canada have in late December? The Raptors and Speedskating?

The third story on TSN.ca is Josh Gorges knee injury. LOL they didnt even mention the Garza trade.

I dont have a problem with die-hard fans...but the whole sense of ownership is sooooooo friggin stupid. I mean, I'm a yankees fan, and all the times I saw the Yanks not win a World Series, I certainly didn't think "That trophy belongs to NY" or "Baseball is NY's game"

Well yeah... that might be because Canada's top game, hockey, has a decent history of international professional competition. If I could make a guess I would think the "it's our game" theme originated from the 72 summit series against the USSR. Compared the US's big three, Baseball Football and Basketball, how long have MLB, NFL, and NBA teams been playing international competition, if any at all? Even at the amateur level, in the US it's all about the college game. In other words you're not going to find any xenophobia creeping into your sports culture if you're almost completely isolationist to begin with.

And I'd think it's quite the stretch to suggest that Canadians feel that any medal simply belongs to them without even needing to play the game. We just expect to win or compete for it every competition, which history backs us up on. And of course as we have our share of losses it's not like we completely fall apart if we don't win.

LeafsandSharksfan

Cero Miedo
Jan 19, 2010
You know what, the Russians played hard and earned the win. I think Cherry will be the big man and give the Russians the credit they deserved. I really can't see him going on a tangent about it.

Kyle Doobas*

I'm not sure Glenn Beck Don will have time to talk about the Russian victory between going off on jingoistic tirades and ranting about pansy-assed leftist pinkos

They should really just change the name of the program from "Coach's Corner" to "Seven-Minute Soapbox For Don Cherry's Irrelevant Political Opinions". When's the last time he's actually had any insight to offer? He's just this loud, arrogant, obnoxious fool who has somehow convinced people that it's worth paying him to go on TV and shoot his bigoted mouth off with less command than your average 15 year-old internet blogger.

....and yet, I still watch him every Saturday. May God have mercy on my soul.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
The saddest part is, there will be people actually applauding him for saying his nonsense. Those are the people that don't understand they are part of the problem.
I love Don Cherry because he riles up so many people that for some reason take him seriously. It's fantastic.
I find it surprising that you think you can just write him off as "entertainment", without realizing that he actually influences people in a negative way. Especially kids.

If you wonder why Canadian hockey gets no respect, look no further than Don Cherry and his followers and the cultural influence they actually bring and support. No, don't stare at Cherry, look at the aftermath. It's obnoxious, intolerable and disturbing.

Last edited:

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
My favorite thing is when people defend his racism, calling it nationalism. :help:

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
I am eagerly anticipating the rant. :handclap:

"American development" was awesome last year.

don_cherry.jpg

He's old school and I love it. :laugh:

Kyle Doobas*

My favorite thing is when people defend his racism, calling it nationalism. :help:
Or when you express any sort of disapproval with his incessant prattling over dying soldiers on a program that's supposed to be about hockey, and then everyone blows a gasket and insinuates that you hate your country and probably caused 9/11

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Or when you express any sort of disapproval with his incessant prattling over dying soldiers on a program that's supposed to be about hockey, and then everyone blows a gasket and insinuates that you hate your country and probably caused 9/11
And then you answer: "Your ignorant insinuations make me believe you are alot closer to causing - and supporting - catastrophies than I ever will be. When said corrupt nations support mass murder and mass oppression of ourselves and the destruction of other cultures, and actually fund them with taxes, it's not that hard to take a step back and ask wth is going on here."

If people can't snap out of a life long indoctrination, it's not your fault. If they hate you for it, it's time they bring up a mirror.

My favourite quote of perhaps one of the most insightful men that has ever walked this planet, Jiddu Krishnamurti: "The enemy is not the other. It is you." It can't be said simpler than this.

Last edited:

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County

That happens in Canada too? I guess it would - you guys have soldiers just about everywhere we do these days...

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
My whine-o-meter just exploded reading your posts in the WJC section of the forum, Chimp.

:shakehead
And what am I supposed to do with such a short answer, with you giving nothing but a general disapproval? It becomes nothing but a redundancy. Don't tell me you're a nationalist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad