Here's what Saturday will look like.

Intro music

Shut up Ron let me speak

Russia sucks

Canada's awesome, makes reference to gold in Vancouver

Shut up Ron

Butcher every Euro name he can think of

Support our troops.

:handclap:Cherry's like that old man at the corner store, always *****ing about something, makes for a fun listen sometimes though.

HeadLikeAnOrange*

I really like him he shows pride and patriotism which is always a good thing. If you think about it Canada didn't win silver they lost gold so why not talk about it?

Pride is only admirable in context and cherry is more nationalistic than patriotic. An idiot through and through.

Kekumba

Jan 24, 2008
Ottawa
I love Don Cherry because he riles up so many people that for some reason take him seriously. It's fantastic.

Eaglepride*

Pride is only admirable in context and cherry is more nationalistic than patriotic. An idiot through and through.

Nothing wrong with being nationalistic. If it would have been my country I'm for sure would have felt pissed too esp. if the announcer would start cheering for the country that just beat us. So I can understand why they are pissed, depressed.

CanadienErrant*

Here's what Saturday will look like.

Intro music

Shut up Ron let me speak

Russia sucks

Canada's awesome, makes reference to gold in Vancouver

Shut up Ron

Butcher every Euro name he can think of

Support our troops.

:laugh::yo:

He will probably play it low key and praise the kids and the coaching staff anyway...

But just imagine how he would had been if the head coach and the goalie would had been from the Quebec Junior League ? But the head coach and the loosing goalie are from Ontario... So....

Lainlight

Hands down AINEC
Jun 17, 2007
Columbus, OH
Cherry will focus on the lack of class the russians showed (when they won). The parenthesis will not be discussed. He will also manage to butcher at least three russians names in the process, guarantee Canada will "bring home" the gold next year and end up thanking the Canadian armed forces for his new tie pin.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Funny thing is, I'm actually pretty he'll give the Russians a lot of credit. I don't even think he'll criticize them much over the celebration.

I also doubt he'll criticize the players. More likely to sympathize. He might have a few negative words for the coaching and management, but overall I think grapes knows this is just one of those situations where things got rolling the wrong way and there wasn't much anyone could do to stop it.

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC
Cherry will focus on the lack of class the russians showed (when they won). The parenthesis will not be discussed. He will also manage to butcher at least three russians names in the process, guarantee Canada will "bring home" the gold next year and end up thanking the Canadian armed forces for his new tie pin.

"You have the kid Ku+NAE-sov and the kid tara-Dank-o....bunch of buffoons...you let those kids dance and prance with the puck. Bobby Orr wouldn't have allowed that. That's all I got to say about that. Support the troops like Bobby Orr would do."

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I would sincerely be surprised if he tried to somehow detract from the achievments of a bunch of elated teenagers, regardless of their nationality. Above all else, Cherry appreciates guts and fighting spirit in hockey. The Russians had it in spades and Canada didn't.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I really like him he shows pride and patriotism which is always a good thing. If you think about it Canada didn't win silver they lost gold so why not talk about it?
It looked to me like Russia won the Gold. I hope, but doubt, Cherry recognizes that.

Koss

Cherry will surprise you all when he gives full credit to Russia for the win and encourages Hockey Canada to learn from this collapse and get better for next years Tournament. he will then hi-light the great play Canada had during the tournament and that they should be proud of their accomplishments on the silver medal.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
The bolded part is not totally relevant to this particular championship as an excuse and full credit to the Russians but in my mind it is something worth bringing up if people are discussing the overall strength of junior aged players for countries. The year of the lockout when Canada had all of their junior eligible players they totally destroyed the field from start to finish if I recall.

My counter point to that is if you look at Team Canada in this year's world juniors they were the more talented team. The perceived edge the US had going in was their experience with how many returnees they had from 2010. Canada had what 15 1st rounders from the last two drafts? Would they be a better team with Hall, Seguin, etc. Of course they would, but lack of talent wasn't what lost it for them.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
A lof of Canadians can deny this all they want, but if the most watched television show in Canadian history offers this blowhard two minutes of soap box time for almost 20 years, you cant tell me the majority of his audience don't really echo his sentiments. Well, at least privately.

That's why you get these stupid arrogant fans holding signs that say "Our Game" or "Cup Belongs to Canada". And when reality smacks them in the face, like in 1996 or 1998 or 2006 or the last two WJC's, they don't know what hit them. And then win they bounce back and win a gold, it's always this "Rightful Champions" BS.

It's the same thing when our U.S. President's keep saying America is the "Greatest County in the World". After a while, everybody else is going to get sick and tired of hearing it and eventually start getting angry, to the point where you almost become an enemy

When USA Basketball was embarrassed in Athens in 2004, pretty much every American fan, expert and even NBA player accepted the fact that the World had caught up to us and that the US was certainly not basketball royalty.

Time for Don Cherry to do the same. Nobody owns hockey -- no matter what percentage of a country's population knows how to backskate by the age of 4.

Still, we should all know what to expect. Cherry is a relic. No way he changes his tune.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Shows a Ryan Murphy clip. "You tellin' me this guy couldn't have made the difference against the Russians?!?! Whoa!"

Then mentions Duchesne, Skinner, Hall, Kane, Seguin.

Then gives credit for the Russians winning.

Congratulates Team Ontario. Talks about Campagna's goal, and says Canadians are plenty talented.

Salutes the Troops.

Hybbe

Oct 6, 2009
So it will be the same old song and dance from xenophobe cherry. He makes me embarrassed to be canadian. And no he doesn't set any good example for kids, regardless of his self-aggrandization.

You shouldn't be. I bet you could find thousands of Cherrys in just about every country. You know; the grumpy, old, xenophobic type of people. It's just that this grumpy old xenophobe shares the love for our game and has been given a soapbox for our amusement. ;)

I personally look forward to what he has to say.

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
He will list all the eligible Canadians who are playing in the NHL.
He will remind how "we still are the best"
He will mention the Olympics

hahahaha, yeah he´s so stupid. He could just as same be another religoius fanatic.

It is just a game Donny boy. i looking frwd watching though hahahaa...

Hockeynomad

Sep 10, 2007
Toronto
He will list all the eligible Canadians who are playing in the NHL.
He will remind how "we still are the best"

I remember he opened the 1989 CBC telecast of Canada vs Soviet Union game broadcast from Anchorage, Alaska reading a list of 8 or 9 players not available for the game and playing in NHL.

Again a very good perspective offered by a Mr. Don Cherry telling from outset its not best vs best, the Soviets sure had theirs.

The Soviets went on to win 8-3 or something.

hammerwielder

Jan 6, 2008
Canada
Funny thing is, I'm actually pretty he'll give the Russians a lot of credit. I don't even think he'll criticize them much over the celebration.

I also doubt he'll criticize the players. More likely to sympathize. He might have a few negative words for the coaching and management, but overall I think grapes knows this is just one of those situations where things got rolling the wrong way and there wasn't much anyone could do to stop it.

+1.

He won't make any excuses such as those offered in other posts. He will also lecture those in the country who criticized the Canadian team after the loss. He will say the Russians for once played as a team, something Canadians always do by the way, not as a bunch of individuals.

He will rip the Swedish coach for the comments at the press conference and the team for putting the sign on the dressing room door.

Dares

May 13, 2009
why list the stuff hes gonna talk about ?
it can all be described in one single word : CLOWN

Evil Romano

Jan 3, 2011
Bassano Vicenza
The extremely Can-Hockey-nationalistic mogul and self-centered wiseacre Don Cherry will never admit that the Russians deserved the gold. No way. He will try to focus on the coaching, the hours of sleep, the arena - everything not related to the Russian skill factor. In his book, no other team deserves to win. Anything. And according to Cherry, the reason Canada loses - regardless when - it is simply because of the lack of concentration, focus and will of the Canadians. Truth of the matter is - there is no other team capable of beating Canada. When a team beats Canada, easily or with struggle, it is never the team itself that made a great game - it is the Canadians who just didn't want to win.

Don Cherry is one funny old timer. He is gonna talk about how "lucky" the Russians were to play against a tired, unfocused Canadian team. Because they would never win otherwise. According to Cherry.

And I can guarantee (well) that he will trash talk their "alcohol abuse" and how a disgrace the Russians are to the lovely game of hockey.

BigBadBread

Shi Shi Shawww
Dec 4, 2006
Lol I never even thought of what Cherry will think of this. I don't think he'll go off on a tirade like the videos posted but I really can't see him giving the Russians full credit, which they deserve.

I think CBC might have him on a tight leash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad