CHED vs 1260

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Care to elaborate?

Tencer, Adler and Coast to Coast AM never cease to provide the most simplistic, illogical, cringe inducing content. They are, quite literally, perfect radio hosts and programs for the slowest and least educated people with access to AM radio.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I like CHED, but then again I don't get access to 1260 often. I heard good things about 1260, which made me go out of my way to listen to it, but it really wasn't that great imo. It was a lot of opinions without much substance. My opinion isn't very informed on this though.

I know that Stauffer will generally tow the company line, but not always, and I have a highly developed sense for detecting BS, whether in advertising, listening to politicians, or other biased people. Stauffer also has great guests, and I get the deep impression that he is well connected and will hint at what is going on in the org, which is great.

oilers83

Feb 14, 2008
I recognize that's it's part of the job but the problem I have with most sports talk radio hosts is that they seem to get to be very full of themselves and their opinions.

Some will almost openly deride callers for opinions they disagree with and most hosts make it pretty clear that when they say "that's how I see it" it's really how everyone should see it.

Couldn't agree more.

But I find the irony come press conference. When was the last time any of the egomaniacs that are the "sports journalists" actually when after this team in any facet? (sans Kevin Lowe fiasco and the six rings)

These guys remind me of the middle brother, they're scared of the older brother(Oilers Management) but pick on and intimidate the younger brother(the fans).

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
Both channels have decent shows. Lowedown with Lowetide, Oilers Now on CHED and Gregors show, Highlight Reel on 1260.

This is the slowest time of the year for sports news in general, never mind hockey. Just take a break from it all, enjoy the weather, maybe read Lowetide and Oilers Nation once in a while.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Jamieson's a good host but isn't great at carrying a conversation for things that are out of his element.
I 100% agree on Jamieson, but he really is the voice of reason. Whether I agree with him or not, his opinion's are always were well constructed and backed up. He doesn't pull a tantrum like Gregor does when you don't agree with him.

Maybe once Rogers has the rights and we see the ratings fallout from that.

If TSN falls off the map he probably leaves and does some Rogers/CHED combo, if TSN holds in he stays.

Money probably, too. Rogers isn't known for paying people terribly well. To get Struds to move they would probably have to offer something crazily irresistable. Which I doubt. Struds is great but he's great here. Once Rogers has the rights there will probably be a bunch of guys willing to go on TV for whatever Rogers feels like paying them.

Strudwick/Majeau is great at night.

I know Reid Wilkins, I like him as a person, but he is hard to listen to most nights. Tencer was much better technically and flowed a show better.

The thing with Strudwick is it never was about money, it was about the flexibility that he had. He doesn't need money, he made a decent amount of coin so that he can be picky with what he wants to do. Ending up with 3 kids instead of 1 has made his partnership with TSN a perfect fit.

He like Gregor seem quite loyal as well. So there is that as well.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Tencer, Adler and Coast to Coast AM never cease to provide the most simplistic, illogical, cringe inducing content. They are, quite literally, perfect radio hosts and programs for the slowest and least educated people with access to AM radio.

here here

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
It's normal practice because the games aren't only on CHED, they're on a series of radio stations (i.e. Oilers Radio Network) so the broadcasters can't simply work for CHED.

Ahh okay thanks! So when Tencer or rather now Wilkins comes on for pre-game, intermission etc it's only Ched listeners that get that. As they are Ched Employees.

So the radio stations supply the pre-game, intermission, post-game. But the actual play by play has to be supplied by the team. As that part is distributed to 1 or more stations that want to buy the broadcast? And perhaps they can purchase the pre-game and intermission stuff also but from Ched?

Really enjoyed hearing spector on the radio again the other day with Stauffer.

I think it would be good for Stauffer to get some more lets say... not so rah rah guests that are willing to say the hard things about players/management that Stauffer just can't do. Spector is usually pretty good for that.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
Ahh okay thanks! So when Tencer or rather now Wilkins comes on for pre-game, intermission etc it's only Ched listeners that get that. As they are Ched Employees.

So the radio stations supply the pre-game, intermission, post-game. But the actual play by play has to be supplied by the team. As that part is distributed to 1 or more stations that want to buy the broadcast? And perhaps they can purchase the pre-game and intermission stuff also but from Ched?

Really enjoyed hearing spector on the radio again the other day with Stauffer.

I think it would be good for Stauffer to get some more lets say... not so rah rah guests that are willing to say the hard things about players/management that Stauffer just can't do. Spector is usually pretty good for that.

Basically the part that is Oilers Radio Network goes from about 7:20 until 10 minutes after the game (for a normal 7:30 start. 7:50 before an 8:00 pm start, etc.)

The pre-game and post-game are only on CHED. I think that none of the other stations on the network have pre-game or post-game shows.

Although Reid Wilkins and Rob Brown (CHED employees) does the intermissions, I believe that the trade-off is that Stauffer (Oilers employee) does the pre-game to even it out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad