CHED vs 1260

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
My problem with Chase and Nielson is that I don't know who's speaking half the time. Their voices are too similar.

hockeyaddict101

Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
There is if you have creative hard working hosts that are willing to push the envelope a bit. For the most part they do a pretty good job of it imo. Much better now that the horrid morning show with Bryn and Jake is off the air.

Yeah, there is just so much sports talk today that it makes it difficult without talking about the same thing.

But I would agree that they do a good job for the most part, this market demands it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
there is more to sports than just hockey

There is, but in this city at this time of year horse racing is one of the last things the majority of people want to hear about. This is a Hockey first city and if you don't talk hockey or promise hockey your show will fail.

Ogopogo*

there is more to sports than just hockey

Not much more. Baseball fills the summer void and, the Eskimos are OK too but, once September hits, everything except hockey disappears from my radar for 10 months.

Hockey is so far above and beyond any other sport, if all other sports were to disappear, it wouldn't bother me a bit.

Reimer

Tambo Troll Face
Jan 19, 2006
Jesus ****. Helen Elliot is on Gregors show right now and when he asks her questions she's answering them like shes part of the Kings organization in a management capacity who is in charge of offering contracts.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Jesus ****. Helen Elliot is on Gregors show right now and when he asks her questions she's answering them like shes part of the Kings organization in a management capacity who is in charge of offering contracts.

She isn't?

freewheeling

Sep 2, 2008
1260vs ched

The team morning show is subpar at best Tencer can be very annoying send all of them to the minors.Ched has the rights I believe for three years,they wanted five.I believe a new station will roll into town and swoop the rights just sayin

Teddy Peckman

Aug 17, 2006
Sherwood Park, AB
I've actually went to Satellite Radio recently, and haven't listened to much local stuff. I love having a variety of options to choose from for sports channels, much of them with little to no radio commercials. Some days I will listen to NFL radio, others NHL, and then throw some Jason Ellis in there, which isn't sports radio, but it's so awesome its hard not to listen to. I like listening to NHL radio sometimes as opposed to local, to get a better grasp and info of what else is going on around the league. I am to the point now though where I love football just about as much as hockey.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
I'll listen to Overtime Open Line every once in a while but that's it for CHED. Between Tencer and the idiot callers, it can be pretty funny. I listen to Jason Gregor pretty much everyday on the way home from work and sometimes I'll listen to team1260 in the morning...but I can't stand Chase. He ruins the show for me. It should be Nielson and Fraser.

I would listen to Stauffer's show but it's on while I'm at work...and I'm not going to just sit there and listen to a podcast after work. I was home sick today and caught it though. It was decent. Stauffer isn't what he used to be and it actually depresses me a little. He used to be great.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
I would much rather have NFL talk than CFL talk, maybe that is just me, but I feel younger guys may agree. Most people my age/demographic that I know of watch NFL before CFL.

I like both. How crazily open-minded of me I know.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I would much rather have NFL talk than CFL talk, maybe that is just me, but I feel younger guys may agree. Most people my age/demographic that I know of watch NFL before CFL.

I think the problem is that most people that would prefer NFL talk rather listen to satelite radio than to listen to NFL talk from our local shows. Sure some of the guys know their stuff, but some really know nothing about NFL.

bardfromedson

Jul 30, 2010
there is no one on local radio that can talk nfl. i don't know how many times i have had to change the channel when they bring up the cfl is more exciting. the nfl has no offence and only run the ball. have they not watched the colts, pats, saints ect before... i can't think of more than a handful of teams in the last decade that only play smash mouth football and are any good. i wish sirius had more hockey coverage in the summer. does anyone know if hnic radio will be back now that whats his pickle went to sportsnet

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
I've actually went to Satellite Radio recently, and haven't listened to much local stuff. I love having a variety of options to choose from for sports channels, much of them with little to no radio commercials. Some days I will listen to NFL radio, others NHL, and then throw some Jason Ellis in there, which isn't sports radio, but it's so awesome its hard not to listen to. I like listening to NHL radio sometimes as opposed to local, to get a better grasp and info of what else is going on around the league. I am to the point now though where I love football just about as much as hockey.

I listen to Sirius mostly, don't mind Gregor, but can't stand the morning guys, especially Chase. Don't listen to ched except for Eskie and Oiler games.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
I caught a segment of CHED's Overtime Openline shortly after the Oilers' win vs the Flames tonight. If asked to provide a synopsis of what I heard, I'd start with the word 'yikes' and go from there.

With his trademark pugnacious arrogance fully on display (and with the help of a couple of equally out-to-lunch callers), Dan Tencer battered away at a seemingly dazed and slightly confused Bob Stauffer. First Tencer was mounting what sounded like a campaign for the Oilers to bring in Bryan McCabe(?!?!?!?!!!) if Ryan Whitney isn't ready to go. Then there was some crap about Omark vs Hemsky vs Hartikainen that I sort of tuned out as I reflected wistfully on the old Total Sports Stauff who would've called Tencer out for being such a total and complete a$$hat. I guess with those extra commercials and newsbreaks CHED needs to squeeze in, there's no time for that stuff.

Sigh!:(

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
^
Stauffer is worse . Calling for Smac in the middle of the game tonight ? Really Bob ?
Tencer owned him when Stauffer later called Omark a "gimmick" player .
Tencer replying that he was under the impression that Bob must love "gimmick" players since Smac is the very definition of a "gimmick" player .
Bob left mumbling .
The guy has become a total blowhard ; give him a few years and he'll be every bit as bad as Bryan Hall .

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
^
Stauffer is worse . Calling for Smac in the middle of the game tonight ? Really Bob ?
Tencer owned him when Stauffer later called Omark a "gimmick" player .
Tencer replying that he was under the impression that Bob must love "gimmick" players since Smac is the very definition of a "gimmick" player .
Bob left mumbling .
The guy has become a total blowhard ; give him a few years and he'll be every bit as bad as Bryan Hall .

Right or wrong (and, given things like the McCabe endorsement, I'm hesitant to ever refer to that ridiculously self-important dork Tencer as right), Stauffer does seem like a shell of his former self. During the game itself Jack Michaels was giving as much colour commentary as Bob was. I hope everything's okay with the guy.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Not much more. Baseball fills the summer void and, the Eskimos are OK too but, once September hits, everything except hockey disappears from my radar for 10 months.

Hockey is so far above and beyond any other sport, if all other sports were to disappear, it wouldn't bother me a bit.

I just don't know how people can want to hear 24/7 talk about one hockey team, especially one that has been a massive on-ice embarrassment for several years.

I understand the Oilers are #1 in town, and they are going to get the majority of coverage from September until the season ends (early April for as long as anyone can remember). But in between? Discussions about who should be on the 4th line should be reserved for message boards and kept off the airwaves in favor of relevent discussion on other sports.

For me this is the time of year is awesome in the sports world. CFL, NFL, NCAA football in full swing, plus MLB playoffs and NHL starting. But all we'll hear about is the NHL 90% of the time from now until May. It ticks me off when I want football updates on a Saturday afternoon, but instead of ESPN college game day we have some blogger that got given a radio slot making sure we get in our 80 hour per week Oiler talk quota.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Today is providing yet another example of the one area (besides overall ratings) in which CHED whips the TEAM's a$$. I turned on my radio this morning wanting to hear Oilers postgame and Esks pregame reaction. Instead I get "Hello friend..." which means ESPN and wall-to-wall NFL. Giving all the TEAM's local hosts the day off on a holiday Mon. even during sports-heavy weekends is a disappointingly lame/lazy carryover from Bryn Griffiths' days as Sports Director at 1260. Meanwhile Stauffers' show will be on CHED later today leading into Esks' pregame...

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
But all we'll hear about is the NHL 90% of the time from now until May.

It's a function of the schedule and market demand:

NBA- Locked out
MLB- Done by October 27th
CFL- Done by November 27th
NCAA Football- Done by January 9th
NFL- Done by February 5th

Three of the five other leagues you'd realistically talk about will be done by December. The remaining major sport takes place regularly only twice a week- Sunday/Monday. What, realistically, do you want to hear about the other five days of the week?

It ticks me off when I want football updates on a Saturday afternoon

No. What you actually want is college football updates; the NFL only has two Saturday game days this season- Weeks 16 and 17. That need puts you in a heavy minority among local sports fans- if I really care about NCAA football, I'm probably watching it on TV/online/on satellite radio, right? So why, then, are your needs more important than the majority's? This leads into your next comment:

but instead of ESPN college game day we have some blogger that got given a radio slot making sure we get in our 80 hour per week Oiler talk quota.

Lowetide wasn't "got given" anything. Here's the dirty secret about radio: the programming is merely a vehicle for income. You could have a program on competitive knitting if you could either a) sell the ad time for it b) find a host who could sponsor the hour. I'm not even exaggerating; take a peak at 1260's Sunday morning schedule. The Lutheran Hour and The Money Show on a sports station? Why? Well, because someone was willing to pay for it.

In LT's case, 1260 PD Ross MacLeod isn't there holding his hand, telling him to feature bloggers so as play into this grand conspiracy of creating an Oilers hockey versus other sports ratio of 90/10, 80/20 or whatever fanciful number you choose; he had to cultivate the sales relationships himself, sell the ad time himself, and build the entire show structure himself.

Want a college football show? Go get the advertisers to commit to it, and I bet 1260 would be more than happy to have it. Until then, you'll have to thirst your quench for it somewhere else. I'm not being a jerk- that's the way the business is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad