CHED vs 1260

bigguy13

Nov 16, 2010
Edmonton
I dunno what all you think of radio in edmonton these days, I have decided to give talk radio a break.... I cannot deal with food trading chatter amongst Nielson in the afternoons. Time fillers they are. 630 CHED on the other hand has news every 10 mins and chopper 1 well thats for another day. I need my hockey, its a stretch right now thats for sure.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
yeah...see one thing that drives me nuts is when they don't talk about hockey...I may be way out to lunch on this one but i don't really care about anything else. I would never get bored of oilers talk. They chatter about way to much nonsense

Muscles Glasses

Jul 9, 2007
Edmonton
You can get the XM Snap radio for your car for like 20 bucks. (and subscription is like $12.00/month) and it is great if you are a sports fan with NHL/PGA/MLB/IndyCar radio stations.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
yeah...see one thing that drives me nuts is when they don't talk about hockey...I may be way out to lunch on this one but i don't really care about anything else. I would never get bored of oilers talk. They chatter about way to much nonsense

some people--not those in this parts--get annoyed when there is hockey talk 24/7 in late july and august when there is so many other sports going on--

I know we hate to admitt it--but there are other sports going on in Edmonton

Eskimoes, capitals and what ever the futball club is called--almost no talk goes on either station about any other sports sometimes

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I dont really listen to either much these days, but when I'm in town I'm just thankful of the coverage we get when news actually happens.
From fall to spring Edmonton hockey fans are pretty spoiled when it comes to the quality of hockey talk on the radio.

Joe The Lion

Jan 14, 2006
Stauffer's Show.

Listened to Oilers Lunch & Gregor's show. That was/is all.

Now that Stauffer's moved to CHED, will there be podcasts available for iphone?

Stauffer's show is available as a podcast from Ched's web site.

I don't use apple products, but it works great on my android phone.

I use a program called Dogcatcher and it works really well.

Fpat

Jan 21, 2009
I prefer ched because of how they have their pod casts set up. There are no commercials and also they usually have better guest/content in their shows.

Farmboy

Jan 23, 2006
I listened to "The Mark Spector Show" yesterday at 1:00 and I thought it was very good. I like Stauffer but he is a little watered down from his former self.

MrMackey

Aug 7, 2003
cgy
Visit site
Who is the guy on 1260 that does all the show promos & ads? Most irritating voice ever.

Also, they need to do something about Yukon Jack. Nothing makes me turn the dial faster. Otherwise I'm happy with the formula at 1260 & happy they don't have to water it down like Stauffer & the 630 crew. I'm looking forward to Spec's show and love the job that Gregor, Lowetide/NR, and Pipeline guys do.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
They chatter about way to much nonsense

I find this sometimes. They start talking with each other about their personal lives and their lives at work. Maybe they think it's amusing to everyone else, but it's really just amusing to them. And sometimes they keep going like that for 10 minutes straight and nothing makes me want to turn the station more. I find Ched is the worst for that.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Who is the guy on 1260 that does all the show promos & ads? Most irritating voice ever.
Also, they need to do something about Yukon Jack. Nothing makes me turn the dial faster. Otherwise I'm happy with the formula at 1260 & happy they don't have to water it down like Stauffer & the 630 crew. I'm looking forward to Spec's show and love the job that Gregor, Lowetide/NR, and Pipeline guys do.

Can't answer your question here, but that Ad "I've got a fever" for that RV place is the most annoying thing to me on 1260. Station gets shut off everytime it starts when I'm driving. The most annoying ad on radio AFAIK.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I find this sometimes. They start talking with each other about their personal lives and their lives at work. Maybe they think it's amusing to everyone else, but it's really just amusing to them. And sometimes they keep going like that for 10 minutes straight and nothing makes me want to turn the station more. I find Ched is the worst for that.

It kinda happens on all talk radio. Rome will go on about his horse or about that stupid it's Friday song and he is one of the most successful guys around.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The team 1260 morning business report with Russ Dratwa always cracks me up. His accent always gets me.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
i pretty much listen to both, all day (radio junkie). no big complaints. I love that at noon, we no have a choice. Neilsen and Chase mix it up pretty good, with Baseball, CFL. NFL, NBA MMA, golf, even tennis.. it is summer and there just isn't much hockey news available. Gregor and (what's that chicks name?) are fun except the redneck stuff (everyone who wears ___ is not a man) gets kinda tiresome.

1260 has weak signal once you are about 100k out of the city and CHED are kinda hackish are my only complaints

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
I don't break out the 'h' word very often but I hate CHED on several different levels. A lot of it goes even deeper than the usual complaints (obnoxious hosts, too many commercial/news breaks, too right wing, overly geared to the elderly, etc.). To me, the absolute disdain with which they treat Edmonton Eskimo fans is unforgivable. I understand that the Oilers are #1 and why they come first. Still is having a half-decent football broadcast crew too much too ask? Calls for Bryan Hall to be replaced were ignored forever. Morley ("What's this hock....er football team got to do, Kavis?") Scott is a slight improvement only because he's not 112 years old. Meanwhile, longtime colour guy Dave Campbell offers about as much football insight as Neve Campbell would. My other, bigger issue has to do with the fact that the combo of Dave Rutherford and Al Stafford drove me away from CHED (aside from occasional hockey/football broadcasts) with their disgraceful antics during the 2002 Alberta teacher's strike.

There's no doubt that the TEAM 1260 is far from perfect. It's been a work in progress for 9 years and still is. The morning show has a decent host saddled with a dreadful sidekick and weekends loaded with filler- aside from The Pipeline Show, Nation Radio and Live from Wayne Gretzky's. As soon as I hear either "Hello friend!" or "Ow! Sharon! Sharon!" I know it's time to shut off the radio. Despite this, I still like what I hear on 1260 for the most part. They do a pretty skillful job of tailoring their local programming so that it balances heavy hockey content with an acceptable amount of other sports stuff. As sure as I am that the TEAM would do Eskimos broadcasts more justice than CHED, I'm glad that they're not the rightsholders because of the limitations that situation creates for hosts and callers.

thalegion

Apr 13, 2010
Edmonton
I generally listen to both, whatever program is better for their time slot, Oilers Now is better than Neilson's show and Spec's show, But mornings on team 1260 are good, Inside Sports appeals to me more than Gregor or whatevers on late on 1260, except tuesdays I Listen to pipeline show.

BrinkOfGreatness*

I use an app called CASTS on the Iphone. I can't seem to find Stauffers show or Spectors?

metallicat

Aug 9, 2003
Edson, AB
Visit site
Yeah what's with Bryn changing teams like that? I know he hasn't been on radio here for awhile, but it can't be easy to be the new radio host for the Flames after being an Edmonton broadcaster for so long. I'm glad he found a good broadcasting gig though.

Oilerdiehard

Aug 9, 2005
Pennsylvania
This is the problem with having so many local sports shows on in one day. There is only so much to talk about right now.

The only thing is on those shows is there is a fair share of non-hockey during hockey season as well. Not just in the Summer. For example Stauffer can and does talk NFL US college football all year around.

Oct 15, 2008
North Korean State radio is more objective than Stauffer and Tencer on Ched. If I have a hankerin for some inane pap and propaganda I will choose to indulge in Ched.

Otherwise it is 1260. While not perfect, at least they have the freedom to express an opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad