CHED vs 1260

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Some interesting comments here.

First off congrats to Bryn Griffiths for getting the job in Calgary.

Rob Kerr did an excellent job covering the Flames for the last several seasons on the Fan 960 and I know Bryn will be up to the challenge of providing that same standard with the Flames over the next few seasons.

Personally, I will always be indebtted to Bryn and former Team 1260 Station Manager Marty Forbes for giving me an opportunity to host a sports show starting with "Total Hockey" in February of 2003.

I will also remember and appreciate the class and dignity that Bryn and Marty showed when I left the Team 1260 to join the Oilers Radio Network in 2008.

It was Bryn who warned me that in the eyes of some fans I would be going from being Luke Skywalker to becoming Darth Vader with that move.

Judging from some of the more visceral comments on here and on Oilersnation maybe he is on to something, which is dissappointing.

All I can say is that we are committed with Oilers Now and with all Oilers properties on the rights holder 630 CHED to endeavor to put the best possible product on the air.

Take care.

Bob

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
Yeah what's with Bryn changing teams like that? I know he hasn't been on radio here for awhile, but it can't be easy to be the new radio host for the Flames after being an Edmonton broadcaster for so long. I'm glad he found a good broadcasting gig though.

Rob Kerr and Dean Molberg say hi.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
It was Bryn who warned me that in the eyes of some fans I would be going from being Luke Skywalker to becoming Darth Vader with that move.

Judging from some of the more visceral comments on here and on Oilersnation maybe he is on to something, which is dissappointing.
I think most of us on this site appreciate the radio shows that give us daily Oilers news - even if we feel disappointed by the attitudes of the hosts from time to time .

It would be useless to deny that you did a Skywalker/Vader level flip flop in your commentary on the Oilers when you made a career decision to move to the Oilers . That is apparent to anyone who listened to the before and after product .

However , the adults on this site can recognize that anyone in your position (worked all your life toward this dream job , family to support , etc etc) would do the same .

And hey , you can afford to ignore the peanut gallery now , right ? ;)

Moneypuck

Aug 12, 2009
Since Stauffer had his spine radically removed when he went to the Oilers, i find it hard to tolerate him. He never says what he wants to say anymore, he's always feeding us that Oiler propoganda, edited for him by his superiors.

I'm sure Bob will one day grow tired of not being able to speak his own mind. I'll stick with NHL live on the NHL network and whatevers on 1260 from 12-6.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
yeah...see one thing that drives me nuts is when they don't talk about hockey...I may be way out to lunch on this one but i don't really care about anything else. I would never get bored of oilers talk. They chatter about way to much nonsense

It drives me nuts when they DO talk about hockey during July and August. Major news is one thing, but Dusty and Chase were talking about freaking hockey pools this morning. In bloody August. CFL in mid-season, baseball in the stretch drive, NFL and college football getting ready to kick off...and they lead off the show with Daymond Langkow trade and hockey pool talk? Yeah, I know they've got an entire show to fill, but touch on these at the end, don't lead the show off with them.

As per the OP's question, 1260 easily. CHED and their propaganda machine has not been on my airwaves in quite a number of years. I think Sid Smith's show was the last CHED sports show I listened to, and that was probably 10 years ago.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
What can Calgarians expect from Bryn Griffiths?
Thanks in advance.

Bryn knows his stuff from doing WHL games in Moose Jaw, NHL broadcasts in Winnipeg as well as from his days as a member of the Oilers organization.

I find it interesting that FAN 960 has no trouble hiring ex-Edmontonians (Rob Kerr, Brad Slater, Bryn) while the TEAM and (as far as I know) CHED have never done the same with former Calgarians.

undertow

Sep 26, 2007
i'v heard bob speak his mind plenty of times during a game. you fools are just hating so your "sellout" predictions seems true in your head. or your jealous that he knows more bout oil then you.

doormat247

Mar 19, 2006
Sherwood Park
www.jugger.ca
Gregor's fill-ins the last two days have been top notch.

Gene and Robin's interview with Bonsignor was top notch and harder hitting then pretty much anything you ever get on sports radio. Now a lot of that was Bonsignor venting, but on top of that with the Belak happenings happening during the show, it was interesting and compelling.

Today with John Short was great. John's style is so much more laid back then you get nowadays and him and Robin were great as Short is one of the best story-tellers out there.

As for Bob. I've followed him to 630 Ched at noon and still enjoy the show. The hour with Georges and Myhres was interesting stuff and kept me glued for the full hour while I ate at my desk.

Oct 15, 2008

Gene and Robin's interview with Bonsignor was top notch and harder hitting then pretty much anything you ever get on sports radio. Now a lot of that was Bonsignor venting, but on top of that with the Belak happenings happening during the show, it was interesting and compelling.

Today with John Short was great. John's style is so much more laid back then you get nowadays and him and Robin were great as Short is one of the best story-tellers out there.

As for Bob. I've followed him to 630 Ched at noon and still enjoy the show. The hour with Georges and Myhres was interesting stuff and kept me glued for the full hour while I ate at my desk.

John Short was a real treat today. Props to Gregor for giving us little tastes every once in a while.

Oct 15, 2008
i'v heard bob speak his mind plenty of times during a game. you fools are just hating so your "sellout" predictions seems true in your head. or your jealous that he knows more bout oil then you.

Baloney. You have no idea how individuals feel about Bob so save the name calling. Personally I am elated for the guy. He has the best job in the world, puts countless hours and effort into his show and doing the radio pbp. Good for him. Great that an average joe like Bob could aspire to such a position when they are usually handed out to ex-players and such.

I appreciate his knowledge of the game and his encyclopedic sports mind. Lots of good stuff going on there and I am proud of the guy. Not jealous of him.

That does not change my opinion that he is pretty one-sided with his commentary, and considering he is an employee of the team, I cant say I blame him. Still doesnt mean I like that style. I prefer a more objective opinion.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007

Gene and Robin's interview with Bonsignore was top notch and harder hitting then pretty much anything you ever get on sports radio.

John Short was a top-notch fill-in. Gene Principe? Not so much. The Bonsignore interview stood alone on Tue. & Wed. as good radio partly because he had a lot to say which meant that Gene didn't have to talk. The rest of GP's radio stint was really really bad just like last it was last year.

doormat247

Mar 19, 2006
Sherwood Park
www.jugger.ca
John Short was a top-notch fill-in. Gene Principe? Not so much. The Bonsignore interview stood alone on Tue. & Wed. as good radio partly because he had a lot to say which meant that Gene didn't have to talk. The rest of GP's radio stint was really really bad just like last it was last year.

Agreed to an extent. I tried to qualify by saying the interview was top notch. That said, I don't mind Gene as much as some do.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

Yeah, I agree that they are Jelly.

I like Bob. If he spoke out differently, people would be saying "gee he bashes the oilers too much."

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
yeah...see one thing that drives me nuts is when they don't talk about hockey...I may be way out to lunch on this one but i don't really care about anything else. I would never get bored of oilers talk. They chatter about way to much nonsense

Football season give me mostly CFL talk, the hockey when the NHL gets going.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Switched to 630 after Gregor and my god what the hell is up with Hall?

Does he even have a script of what to talk about? Seemed to lose track of his thoughts every 10 seconds.

Also is he owner of Tony Roma's? I thought he just did ads, but he sure talks like he owns the joint.

BrinkOfGreatness*

Tony Roma's is probably a sponsor or pays for advertising. I don't know. Maybe he is a part owner of a few chains?

Ogopogo*

True. Last night Tencer was talking horse racing. Who gives a ****? I turned to the Team and they were talking Sports Performance. Who gives a **** about that?

Give me 24x7 hockey talk and I am happy.

Oct 15, 2008
There is not always enough to fill every show in the Edmonton area.

There is if you have creative hard working hosts that are willing to push the envelope a bit. For the most part they do a pretty good job of it imo. Much better now that the horrid morning show with Bryn and Jake is off the air.

BrinkOfGreatness*

True. Last night Tencer was talking horse racing. Who gives a ****? I turned to the Team and they were talking Sports Performance. Who gives a **** about that?

Give me 24x7 hockey talk and I am happy.

I'm like this as well, but I also understand not everybody is like us. I could listen to straight Oilers and hockey talk all day and everyday. I don't follow any other sports nor care about them at all. I just switch the station or turn some music on once I hear non-hockey stuff.

Don't you guys just love that weird Russ Drawaww (sp?) commercial on 1260 with the weird 80's music in the back? lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad