Confirmed with Link: Chayka Out - The Fallout and Search for his Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Ask a clown for his opinion and he'll point you to a circus ring leader.
He might be a shitty headcoach, but he's still well-connected and well-respected around the league. You'd be stupid to not take advantage of the chance to bounce a few names off him and use him as a sounding board, even if you plan on firing him tomorrow (and they probably don't). I didn't see anything in the quote that suggests he has had any kind of undue influence in the decision -making process.

I'm glad everyone has (finally) woken up to the fact we suck, but cripes a'mighty...

Reactions: Jakey53

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
He might be a shitty headcoach, but he's still well-connected and well-respected around the league. You'd be stupid to not take advantage of the chance to bounce a few names off him and use him as a sounding board, even if you plan on firing him tomorrow (and they probably don't). I didn't see anything in the quote that suggests he has had any kind of undue influence in the decision -making process.

I'm glad everyone has (finally) woken up to the fact we suck, but cripes a'mighty...

To be fair, I was being over the top for comedic effect haha. Having a laugh. :D

My last sentence of the post is the serious one. What you said is reasonable and makes sense. I just hate that Tocchet still has a coaching job.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Tocchet doesn't know anything about GM work and at best could offer some comments about guys he personally knows or has known in the past. He shouldn't be involved.
Really? Chayka and RT both said they talked on a daily basis, and to say RT doesn't know "anything about GM work" is ridiculous.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
I thought Pittsburgh Shero was overrated, too. Never been impressed.
As do I, since Malkin and Crosby were drafted prior to Shero, but some will point to the team's success during his run. Not to mention that I think the Coyotes need a full rebuild, and Shero isn't really "that guy". Hopefully Meruelo not only makes the right hire, but is hands off, and tells his son to keep his hands off as well. Under Meruelo the Coyotes have traded for Kessel (which didn't really work), and grossly overpaid for Hall who looks to end up being a rental.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I didn't want Hall (or Kessel), but the value for half a season of a topline winger at only $3M cap was fine, imo.

The mistake was when it was clear they were spiraling down the toilet, they didn't deal him at the TDL. At anywhere from 1.5-3 million cap hit, we could have recouped assets from almost anyone in the league.

Reactions: Jakey53

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Really? Chayka and RT both said they talked on a daily basis, and to say RT doesn't know "anything about GM work" is ridiculous.
Like it or not, what other "hockey person" could you include in the interview process?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
As do I, since Malkin and Crosby were drafted prior to Shero, but some will point to the team's success during his run. Not to mention that I think the Coyotes need a full rebuild, and Shero isn't really "that guy". Hopefully Meruelo not only makes the right hire, but is hands off, and tells his son to keep his hands off as well. Under Meruelo the Coyotes have traded for Kessel (which didn't really work), and grossly overpaid for Hall who looks to end up being a rental.

Hall wasn't an overpay at all. A 1st + B prospect + some filler with conditional picks if he signs/helps the team win. Pretty standard stuff.

The mistake was thinking that just piling on more skill players was going to change Tocchet squandering their strengths. A real club with playoff expectations would have fired Tocchet on one of his many prolonged slides and brought in the top available coach.

The Coyotes collectively decided to just "wait and see", just as their coach tells them to do. The end result is Hall walking with nothing to show for it on top of the 'cheating' penalty. They waited and saw a team get its ass royally kicked in 4 out of 5 games.

Nothing from Meruelo inspires confidence so far that he has the chops to make the right calls. I am hoping he hires a strong enough GM that it becomes a moot point.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

And to think many here thought you were completely off the rails. :laugh:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Have a feeling a lot of contracts aren’t going to be renewed and we’re going to see a few more people go that we didn’t want to see go.

Reactions: Surfshop

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
The writing is on the wall for guys who are in contract years.

And with that, there's probably going to be a lot more good people that we see go than bad people (see: Jeff Ulmer.)

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
Gutierrez and Meruelo starting to trim some of the "fat" we'll call it. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Coyotes trim quite a bit from the hockey ops, and keep Sullivan and Tocchet around due to their relatively low salaries. Gutierrez made it clear that they were going to run the team like a business. But, Meruelo handing his son a job that partially oversees the hockey department is worrisome. If Meruelo truly does want to win, then I think he needs to hire the best possible head coach and general manager, and give them everything they need within budgetary reason to succeed, and let them do their jobs. Gutierrez, Meruelo, and Meruelo Jr. shouldn't be involved in day to day hockey stuff. Just my opinion of course.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I don’t give a f*** about Peters.

Only coach who should stay on is the goalie coach. Anyone else G T F O

Peters was considered one of the best at his job in the league and he literally saved our asses in many games over the last 23 years with the franchise.

Try curbing the rage a little.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Have a feeling a lot of contracts aren’t going to be renewed and we’re going to see a few more people go that we didn’t want to see go.

You're not going to convince me the ROI is worth it to cut Peters and offload his work to someone else. He and Stan Wilson are (well, were) the only two respectable things about this entire organization.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad