Confirmed with Link: Chayka Out - The Fallout and Search for his Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
I'm a little surprised to see so many around here want Shero, I mean Pittsburgh Shero makes sense I guess, but the Devils suck, and Shero is a big reason for that. He fleeced Chayka (and Meruelo who probably pushed for the Hall trade), but aside from that I don't see much good in Jersey.

Hextall or Lombardi and Futa I think would be the best options for the Coyotes. I think a full rebuild is needed, but I don't think Meruelo will go for that. So, best of luck to you guys.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Sums up RTs offense perfectly.

Wile-E-Coyote-1280x720.jpg
This is an excellent post.

Reactions: Stumbledore

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
This is an excellent post.

Especially in light of the fact that we achieve to play faster than other teams, and are trying to catch the Roadrunner, which is pretty much a metaphor of every other team skating circles around us.

Reactions: sundance74

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Especially in light of the fact that we achieve to play faster than other teams, and are trying to catch the Roadrunner, which is pretty much a metaphor of every other team skating circles around us.

And it all just blows up.

Reactions: BUX7PHX

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Our GM search begin on Wednesday, according to sources. It’s now Friday morning and we haven’t heard even the slightest peep about any interviews. Would be nice to have some coverage on this right now, us fans have been dragged through the mud these last couple weeks, give us some meat to chew on.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
We can rule out Tallon. Based on reports he was using racist language in bubble. His career is over if true.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Our GM search begin on Wednesday, according to sources. It’s now Friday morning and we haven’t heard even the slightest peep about any interviews. Would be nice to have some coverage on this right now, us fans have been dragged through the mud these last couple weeks, give us some meat to chew on.

Like an insider would have? Don't worry, when the team wants you to know they'll contact their free lance publicist.

Either wait for the team to announce through Craig, or you have to hope a candidate leaks to someone in NY or Toronto. Then we'll get a whisper from one of the national outlets.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Per Craig:

“That said, this is not a decision that can be rushed. This hire is critical to the future of the franchise. The Coyotes intend to interview a significant amount of candidates, a list league sources say includes interim GM Steve Sullivan, Ron Hextall, Sean Burke and Columbus Blue Jackets senior vice president of hockey operations Bill Zito, among others.
Multiple league sources have said that the league is providing the Coyotes with some guidance and some names. So is coach Rick Tocchet, but this hire ultimately will be in Meruelo’s and Gutierrez’s hands.”

Good news: Some good candidates, I like Hextall
Bad news: Tocchet is helping, seems he may be more involved than we want.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Would love to watch RT root for someone like Hextall who immediately fires the entire coaching staff upon arrival. I have a feeling we will be stuck with RT at least at the start of the year. Moving some of his safety blankets in the assistants is a start in moving in the right direction. There's no way RT survives rebuild part two however.

Reactions: Mosby

rt

May 13, 2004
Per Craig:

“That said, this is not a decision that can be rushed. This hire is critical to the future of the franchise. The Coyotes intend to interview a significant amount of candidates, a list league sources say includes interim GM Steve Sullivan, Ron Hextall, Sean Burke and Columbus Blue Jackets senior vice president of hockey operations Bill Zito, among others.
Multiple league sources have said that the league is providing the Coyotes with some guidance and some names. So is coach Rick Tocchet, but this hire ultimately will be in Meruelo’s and Gutierrez’s hands.”

Glad to get confirmation that Hextall and Zito are on the candidate list. I'd be very happy if either are hired.

I have mixed feelings about the prospect of Sullivan getting the full-time job. I was much more comfortable with it prior to the league sanction for the combine scandal. I'm not confident AM & XG have a full understanding of exactly how crippling that was to the organization. If anyone in that front-office other than Chayka had anything to do with it, they need to be gone. Immediately. I'm worried that all the wrong people have the ear of AM and XG and are downplaying this sanction. It's the worst mistake an NHL front-office has made in a decade or more. It should be absolutely humiliating to this ownership group. I'm worried its not.

I don't want Sean Burke as GM at all. AGM? Sure. Not GM. No thanks. I view ties to the team more as a negative than a positive.

The Tocceht bit is expected but unsettling nonetheless. How many superior coaches have been fired for transgressions more minor than Toccet's over the last 18 months? It's absurd how long this guy's leash has been. Tippett had too long of a leash but at least he had a track-record that could somewhat justify it to some extent. Tocchet has been a disaster as an NHL head coach. His body of work speaks for itself. He's terrible at his job. There are at least a half dozen clearly, demonstrably better NHL head coaches that have been fired recently, despite being more successful than him. AM and XG just don't know enough to know that he's a huge problem, maybe the biggest problem (apart from the sanction) and we MUST get him out.

rt

May 13, 2004
There is a big gap between Hextall and those other guys.

Yeah, Hextall was the hot up-and-comer a while back. When he finally got his shot at NHL GM, I think he did a pretty good job. A guy like Zito has a lot of potential, but he hasn't proven as much. Even in the AHL, Hextall has a great GM track-record.

In Hextall's seven years as GM of Manchester they made the playoffs six times, and advanced to the conference finals twice. In his five years as GM of Lehigh Valley they only made the playoffs twice. But they did improve every season until the last. He took them over with a .487P% in their first season. It improved to .493% in the second. The third season they qualified for the post season and lost in round one. Then that next season they made it all the way to the conference finals. His last year the team nose-dived and didn't qualify. But he was fired in November of that season, anyway.

Philadelphia has a great team today, very much due to Hextall's drafting, but also due to they way he developed and ran the minor league system, as well. It's very appealing. I think the Coyotes could really use Hextall. He's got a ton of experience and left Philadelphia in a great spot once he was ultimately fired.

Reactions: _Del_

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Glad to get confirmation that Hextall and Zito are on the candidate list. I'd be very happy if either are hired.

I have mixed feelings about the prospect of Sullivan getting the full-time job. I was much more comfortable with it prior to the league sanction for the combine scandal. I'm not confident AM & XG have a full understanding of exactly how crippling that was to the organization. If anyone in that front-office other than Chayka had anything to do with it, they need to be gone. Immediately. I'm worried that all the wrong people have the ear of AM and XG and are downplaying this sanction. It's the worst mistake an NHL front-office has made in a decade or more. It should be absolutely humiliating to this ownership group. I'm worried its not.

I don't want Sean Burke as GM at all. AGM? Sure. Not GM. No thanks. I view ties to the team more as a negative than a positive.

The Tocceht bit is expected but unsettling nonetheless. How many superior coaches have been fired for transgressions more minor than Toccet's over the last 18 months? It's absurd how long this guy's leash has been. Tippett had too long of a leash but at least he had a track-record that could somewhat justify it to some extent. Tocchet has been a disaster as an NHL head coach. His body of work speaks for itself. He's terrible at his job. There are at least a half dozen clearly, demonstrably better NHL head coaches that have been fired recently, despite being more successful than him. AM and XG just don't know enough to know that he's a huge problem, maybe the biggest problem (apart from the sanction) and we MUST get him out.
Jesus man, give it a rest. You sound like you know the organization better than Meruelo. This combine fiasco is far from crippling or humiliating to this organization. I'm sure Meruelo would prefer the picks, but we aren't the first or last team to get punished from the NHL.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The Panthers have interviewed 12+ candidates apparently. Makes sense, I guess in the word of Zoom conferences.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Jesus man, give it a rest. You sound like you know the organization better than Meruelo. This combine fiasco is far from crippling or humiliating to this organization. I'm sure Meruelo would prefer the picks, but we aren't the first or last team to get punished from the NHL.
You're on an internet msg board. If you don't want to read crazy opinions from other fans, perhaps this site would be more your speed? :dunno:

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
That list is perfect imo. Hextall is my choice if we go for an experienced and Zito has been my choice for awhile if we’re giving someone who has paid his dues a chance.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Per Craig:

Tocchet's level of "helping" will be determined by how much Meruelo and company think of him as a coach. If they already like Tocchet it isn't going to matter what anyone thinks or who they hire.

Reactions: Jakey53

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Per Craig:

I know I sound like a broken record but what the hell has Tocchet done to deserve this kind of royal treatment? At this point it's comical almost (except all us fans have to put up with the bs on the ice from him). He HAS to have something under the table on some key people, it's literally insane.

I'm still going to hope for sanity... hope that it's overblown how much Tocchet is involved and that new GM will do what's required aka fire the awful coaching staff.

On another comical side.... would be hilarious to hear if the league is saying " Oh, you should totally hire Chiarelli" and then Tocchet is agrees or says other insane things like "Well I don't have an answer for you" Or "Maybe a sticky GM... I'll do it!"

Reactions: Fuhrious and RABBIT

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It doesn't phase me. He isn't fired. If you're going to hire someone in a relatively small community, why wouldn't you ask for a coaches input? If he's leading the search or something, that'd be terrifying, but I don't know why you wouldn't bounce names off of everyone in the org who has been around the league for awhile.

Reactions: Jakey53

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
It doesn't phase me. He isn't fired. If you're going to hire someone in a relatively small community, why wouldn't you ask for a coaches input? If he's leading the search or something, that'd be terrifying, but I don't know why you wouldn't bounce names off of everyone in the org who has been around the league for awhile.

Well, you don't ask directions from someone who is lost. Tocchet's teams couldn't find the offensive zone even if they had sherpa guides and a perfect map.

Ask a clown for his opinion and he'll point you to a circus ring leader.

Tocchet heard we needed offense... instead he made the team offensive (syn: objectionable) to watch.

One liners aside... If they ask him that's one thing. But I hope they realize they are asking the same guy who thinks HE is doing a dandy job when the team has been playing like crap. Same guy they went out and wasted assets on Kessel for too (worked out great amiright?). If they take what he says with a huge bottle of salt then that's fine. Maybe it's to know who NOT to hire?

What you're saying is reasonable enough to me. I just hate that Tocchet is still employed as a coach on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad