Confirmed with Link: Chayka Out - The Fallout and Search for his Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Barring some kind of pathetic showing I think they just stick with Sullivan and Tocchet for another year, with Chia possibly coming on as an advisor.

Reactions: Jakey53

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Yuck. I hope we get shut out three games in a row if that's true.
Oh please. No you don't. At your core, you are a diehard Coyotes fan.
That said, after a successful post season, I want Gallant to take over as HC. I don't know enough about GMs to have an opinion as to who is the best out there.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm really hoping any dispute with NJ doesn't deter Meruelo from asking about Shero. He's still under contract so we'd need permission. Could get messy if NJ has to pay us a tampering charge, but I'd bet they'd like to get off the hook from Shero's contract anyway...

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I'm really hoping any dispute with NJ doesn't deter Meruelo from asking about Shero. He's still under contract so we'd need permission. Could get messy if NJ has to pay us a tampering charge, but I'd bet they'd like to get off the hook from Shero's contract anyway...
Highly unlikely that any team would deny the opportunity to talk to a fired worker, they simply want rid of paying that contract.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Hopefully. But if NJ has to pay us a fine or give us a pick or something, maybe they're spiteful.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Hopefully. But if NJ has to pay us a fine or give us a pick or something, maybe they're spiteful.
And would choose to eat millions to get back at the Coyotes?? Petty people generally don't get that wealthy. They stog their noses and say goodbye to the contract.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I worry that someone like Shero will want more money and more control than Meruelo may be comfortable with after having become accustomed to the extremely lean way the team operates currently.

I wonder if a long-time AGM they hungry to get the top gig under any circumstance might be more likely. Futa, Gilman, Timmins and Verbeek come to mind.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Much like when Babcock got the big deal and reset the market for coaching salaries, I suspect Ken Holland did the same when the Oilers gave him 5 mil per. Now, he's Ken Holland and his list of accomplishments is 10 miles long, and these salaries aren't generally publicly, but I'd bet Shero would ask for at least 3 mil. We weren't paying Chayka anywhere near that. Maloney made 2 mil, but the NHL negotiated that deal.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The nice thing about Hextall and Verbeek is they will.want their players to play with some fricken heart.

87turbobuick

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix
Hextall would not bring up Hart to the big club so they fired him, we do not have a goalie problem or any potential stars in the Tucson so he would be a good candidate to interview.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
So one thing I want you all to note from the Coyotes press release about Chayka. The wording is completely unlike anything that their PR staff normally sends out. It reads like someone above the PR staff’s pay grade wrote it and forced it out.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
So one thing I want you all to note from the Coyotes press release about Chayka. The wording is completely unlike anything that their PR staff normally sends out. It reads like someone above the PR staff’s pay grade wrote it and forced it out.
It was that draft we all write out of emotional pressure, reread, smile, frown and then delete.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It was that draft we all write out of emotional pressure, reread, smile, frown and then delete.

Except in corporate communications, nothing ever gets released on official letterhead unless it's been crafted, vetted, reviewed, and approved by everyone all the way to the top.

Meruelo had a very specific message he wanted to pass along, and the process to getting there was anything but hotheaded and impulsive. We'll get intel on why he pointedly phrased things that way once the adjudication process gets underway.

Reactions: mouser

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The nice thing about Hextall and Verbeek is they will.want their players to play with some fricken heart.
You’d have thought that about Tocchet. If you listen to Futa on the Full 60 podcast he means it. He talked a bunch about drafting “culture changers” like Wayne Simmonds and Kyle Clifford. And how he was mocked for “reaching” but who fiercely loyal they were after that. Very interesting listen.

I’m confident Futa wants to build a team like the want I want to be a fan of. The question is whether he can. :)

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I didn't really include or exclude Tocc because his "Look at our roster. That's not who we are"-comments sort of indicated he'd also like some of that on the roster, too. I still don't want to keep him haha

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Meruelo had a very specific message he wanted to pass along...

Agree

...and the process to getting there was anything but hotheaded and impulsive.

Completely disagree. I read the release as fairly impulsive, which part of me thinks he's probably entitled to. I mean he owns the team and wants to show he feels frustrated / let down so be it.

This whole thing is weird though. I mean, if Chayka quits on Friday (which is generally agreed on), why not make an immediate press release that day instead of waiting 2 days for a media storm? Aside from rumors, why do we still not know what the new job opportunity is / was? And now it looks Meruelo is lawyering up for an extended breach of contract fight. Also keep in mind Ahron Cohen was a lawyer at Snell & Wilmer before joining the Coyotes, Chayka certainly has access to good legal advice.

IMO it doesn't even come close to adding up yet (not even considering the timing of Chayka's resignation). Really curious to see the rest of the picture if we ever get it

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Completely disagree. I read the release as fairly impulsive, which part of me thinks he's probably entitled to. I mean he owns the team and wants to show he feels frustrated / let down so be it.

If it had been IceArizona, then I'd totally agree that this was a hastily composed, impulse-driven PR.

Alex Meruelo is not Anthony LeBlanc. The Meruelo Group owns a dozen different companies. Meruelo has staffs for his staffs. A businessman like him does not use language like this without both strategic and tactical intent.

This PR was not a tantrum. It is a weapon, and it's going to be used for something more than making a statement or posturing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad