Confirmed with Link: Chayka Out - The Fallout and Search for his Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
@rt I’m wondering why you are cautious on Futa as he has been an AGM for one team, but thrilled about Zito, despite the same background and even fewer years of experience? And while Zito has helped produced an exciting team, Futa has helped produced a winner.

I like Zito, but this seems like overenthusiam. What am I missing?

Same with Eaves. I’d never heard of him before you mentioned him but nothing about his resume upon taking a peek at it stands out?
Eaves was much more appealing a decade ago. He was hot shit. Made that Wisco program something really great. Was WJC champ coach for US and then WC for US. I’m not nearly as enamored now. That was an old flame. Lol.

Futa is an AGM like Hofford is an AGM. A top scout with a big title.

Zito actually ran Cleveland. That’s more important to me.

Zito having been a successful player agent on top of this, and seemingly a damn good one, is huge too. Guy has gone toe to toe with NHL GMs. Has Futa?

Reactions: Mosby

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'd be curious how many coaches have successfully transitioned from NCAA to NHL. My guess is not many. Montgomery is one, but Hakstol was not.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Google tells me that Zito has previously interviewed in Minnesota, Seattle, and Buffalo, with those jobs ultimately going to Paul Fenton, Ron Francis, and Jason Botterill.

rt

May 13, 2004
Google tells me that Zito has previously interviewed in Minnesota, Seattle, and Buffalo, with those jobs ultimately going to Paul Fenton, Ron Francis, and Jason Botterill.
Fenton was a bit of an inside job, right? Connections pick? Francis could be shrewd hire. Botterill was a hot name. He’ll get another shot I’m sure.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
In an Athletic article about our sanctions, Custance mentioned: “Right now, there are names that have been connected to Florida or Arizona or, in some cases, both. Guys like Kevin Weekes, St. Louis assistant GM Bill Armstrong, Blue Jackets assistant GM Bill Zito and Rangers assistant GM Chris Drury are among the candidates being considered for these jobs.”

So there’s names for once

So how I've read this is that these guys are interviewing for either the Arizona job or the Florida job, but not both. There may be some overlap, but not every guy. From what I have read, I don't believe Zito has interviewed in Florida. They're already on second interviews too. So I'd say Florida has interviewed all of those guys minus Zito. And that we plan to interview Zito, and maybe Armstrong and Drury. I don't imagine Weekes would be on our list, not just because of the weak resume but he has also no connection to the franchise like Florida.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think our understanding is that Chayka had mentioned an interview, which was originally denied, until it was mentioned that this was not hockey-related.

He was allowed to interview, and we find out that the job is related to hockey, but he would have oversight over several teams, which include EPL, and likely several other sports.

Have we heard either way that whomever interviewed him has now basically dropped him from contention? If you are getting interviewed while a separate, concurrent investigation is going on, doesn't that also indicate that the team interviewing him also didn't see anything wrong with that activity?

There are multiple items in this that don't add up:

1. Why was someone getting a separate interview while also being investigated for cheating? If Chayka was preaching how to cheat, then this is a huge red flag. In my mind, this suggests that there was no top down message with the intention of cheating.

2. Would this also have gone on with regard to other leagues? Is the CHL the only one that was affected? Again, if the instruction from the tip was that all prospects get evaluated the same way, then wouldn't multiple stories from other leagues also exist?

3. If this was punishment for exposing a way to create a loophole, ok -I am fine with getting pubished on that front. But, I would also expect some sort of change to a rule so that the loophole is closed.

That's where I was asking about any further support with Stathletes - does Chayka have a database of information, and those powers between being a GM and involved with Stathletes has their lines blurred, especially if somehow privy to information that other teams may not have similar access to?

There are many synergies between sports on the analytic level, I think NA/the NHL is far behind in this regard. Soccer have had computer software tracking everything for a really long time and it’s only been around at a more limited scale the last few years in hockey.

Which teams has connections at both the EPL and NHL level? Can’t be too many? If anyone?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
This isn't to say let's hire Paul Fenton, but isn't he basically black balled because he created a hostile work environment? Not necessarily because of on-ice moves? From what I see, he made 3 moves of note during his tenure: Nino for Rask, Coyle for Donato, and Granlund for Fiala. The first two aren't great, but we're talking a swap of bottom sixers here, plus Donato could still become something. The third deal is starting to look like a big win.

I guess my question is is it fair to compare Futa to Fenton when his firing was apparently related to off-ice performance? As is it right to fear Futa will become the next Fenton?

I believe Futa has interviewed for 4 jobs previously - Minnesota, Buffalo, Carolina, and Florida. He pulled himself out of the running in Carolina because they cheaped out. And the Florida interview was just recent. For Minny and Buffalo, he lost out to Fenton and Botterill, two guys with similar track records.

Last edited:

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
There are many synergies between sports on the analytic level, I think NA/the NHL is far behind in this regard. Soccer have had computer software tracking everything for a really long time and it’s only been around at a more limited scale the last few years in hockey.

Which teams has connections at both the EPL and NHL level? Can’t be too many? If anyone?

Our understanding was that it was a group affiliated with the NJ Devils (Harris Blitzer Sports). They also have a stake in the 76ers and 18% stake in Crystal Palace. May also be in the running for the NY Mets. But, I believe the idea is that the position title made it sound like it was not related to hockey - let's call it GM of data analytics and performance. Well, he can vaguely state that he would start with EPL, but eventually, it would turn into also running the Devils, in some way, or at least providing a very similar service as to what is being provided here.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It is interesting to note however that only 4 current GMs - Jarmo Kekalainen, Ken Holland, Jeff Gorton, and Jim Benning - have previously held the Director of Amateur Scouting title. So it's definitely an uncommon trajectory to go from that role to General Manager.

rt

May 13, 2004
It is interesting to note however that only 4 current GMs - Jarmo Kekalainen, Ken Holland, Jeff Gorton, and Jim Benning - have previously held the Director of Amateur Scouting title. So it's definitely an uncommon trajectory to go from that role to General Manager.
And I don’t think any of those guys played in the NHL.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Pierre Dorion as well.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Hearing Zito is actually out there, considering GM jobs, has my head spinning.

He played college hockey for Yale, so has some very minor playing background. He was a successful player-agent, getting some really nice deals done for his clients, going toe-to-toe with NHL GMs. He was a very successful AHL GM (won a Calder Cup) and has been a big part of the resurgence story in Columbus.

The Jackets looked to be in a tough spot heading into this season. Like us they had their prospect pool and draft stock cleaned out (for different reasons obviously), and suffered a exodus of talent. Zito was there with Jarmo, watching and helping the team persevere and overcome it.

Looking at the challenge that was Columbus, and the the job that has been done, I think makes Zito probably the ideal candidate if he's actually willing to not only leave Columbus (something I would not have thought likely) and come to Arizona of all places (something that would truly shock me).

He's probably #1 on my list, honestly.
Zito is also pretty regularly on panels at analytics conferences so if Meruelo and co. were pleased with Chayka's reliance on numbers, Zito would segue in nicely.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Eaves was much more appealing a decade ago. He was hot shit. Made that Wisco program something really great. Was WJC champ coach for US and then WC for US. I’m not nearly as enamored now. That was an old flame. Lol.

Futa is an AGM like Hofford is an AGM. A top scout with a big title.

Zito actually ran Cleveland. That’s more important to me.

Zito having been a successful player agent on top of this, and seemingly a damn good one, is huge too. Guy has gone toe to toe with NHL GMs. Has Futa?
Eaves was coach while Stepan was at Wisconsin.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I'd be curious how many coaches have successfully transitioned from NCAA to NHL. My guess is not many. Montgomery is one, but Hakstol was not.
Quinn was at BU before coming to the Rangers and I'd say they are trending up, though it's hard to say if that's coaching or their roster being rebuilt.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Zito is also pretty regularly on panels at analytics conferences so if Meruelo and co. were pleased with Chayka's reliance on numbers, Zito would segue in nicely.

He makes even more sense as a swerve if you consider Meruelo might feel Chayka got waxed on contracts and they need to manage money more carefully.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Sums up RTs offense perfectly.

Wile-E-Coyote-1280x720.jpg

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Sums up RTs offense perfectly.

Wile-E-Coyote-1280x720.jpg
The good ole days. Everyone got along, no protests, laughed with each other no matter the skin color. Loved waking up on Saturday morning and watching cartoons all morning. Back in the day I think people actually used their brain.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
The good ole days. Everyone got along, no protests, laughed with each other no matter the skin color. Loved waking up on Saturday morning and watching cartoons all morning. Back in the day I think people actually used their brain.
I think I'm offended by your comment. I'm heading out to protest it right now!!!! No wait im golfing this morning, maybe later when I have absolutely nothing else to do. Oh wait I'll post my rage on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. #sarcasmoff

Reactions: Stumbledore

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think I'm offended by your comment. I'm heading out to protest it right now!!!! No wait im golfing this morning, maybe later when I have absolutely nothing else to do. Oh wait I'll post my rage on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. #sarcasmoff
My Grandfather once told me that there are two things that will wreck this country and that is politics and religion. He had grade 3 education. I think I will add social media as the third.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
My Grandfather once told me that there are two things that will wreck this country and that is politics and religion. He had grade 3 education. I think I will add social media as the third.
Haha I only have Twitter, decent news there with a restricted follow list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad