Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy VI re-signed, 8 yrs @ 9.5 aav

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
I think a cap hit percentage of 9.5% for he and Pasta would be a steal long term EDIT (probably not realistic but a man can dream)

You’re basically saying Hall and Marchand are transitional pieces until they find other high end players to compliment them. If Hall falters there is not one else to be paid any time soon so the pitch is weaker for them to be paid less.

Let’s see what happens.

Reactions: wintersej

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I'd guess McAvoy is looking at $9M x 8 years

Yeah. Both sides should be thrilled with that deal too. McAvoy is worth 10-11 but his teammates all took discounts. 9 per is fair he will win a Norris in the next couple years hes far better than Adam FOx.

Reactions: Flannelman

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Yeah. Both sides should be thrilled with that deal too. McAvoy is worth 10-11 but his teammates all took discounts. 9 per is fair he will win a Norris in the next couple years hes far better than Adam FOx.

I'm sure McAvoy could probably get $10-11 on the open market, but $9M would put him at an 11% cap hit %, which is around top 5 for defensemen. The guys getting that much had all been Norris finalists when they signed their deals, which McAvoy hasn't yet.

I think you could comp him to Hedman, who was a #1 defenseman when he signed his extension, but hadn't yet broken out into the perennial Norris finalist/end of season all star that he is now. Hedman got 8 years at a 10.8% cap hit %. The same deal at an $81.5M cap would be $8.8M.

There is zero reason McAvoy shouldn't be signed to a deal like that on July 28th when free agency starts and he's eligible for a 2022 extension.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
My guess. 8x8.25 for McAvoy when that time comes. Also gets the ‘C’ once Bergeron retires.
Actually that’s something I never thought about

gotta be Marchand ?

I know he’s still got some mischievous troublemaker in that mind of his but those of us who have been paying attention to him have to be impressed how he’s evolved, matured ? Or reinvented himself

Charlie would get C after Marchand

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
that Heiskenen deal seems like a bit of an overpay. Doughty signed a deal about 10 years ago with a 7 mil cap hit. That was 10.89% of the cap at the time.

If McAvoy got $9m now that would be about 11% of the cap, so pretty comparable. Heiskenen's deal is in prime Doughty territory and he's good, but not that good. Anyway, $9m or a bit less for Mac would be fair, hope they can settle on something quickly.

Reactions: inactive user

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'm sure McAvoy could probably get $10-11 on the open market, but $9M would put him at an 11% cap hit %, which is around top 5 for defensemen. The guys getting that much had all been Norris finalists when they signed their deals, which McAvoy hasn't yet.

I think you could comp him to Hedman, who was a #1 defenseman when he signed his extension, but hadn't yet broken out into the perennial Norris finalist/end of season all star that he is now. Hedman got 8 years at a 10.8% cap hit %. The same deal at an $81.5M cap would be $8.8M.

There is zero reason McAvoy shouldn't be signed to a deal like that on July 28th when free agency starts and he's eligible for a 2022 extension.
McAvoy will be reupped not worried

Speaking of D ~ you got Zac Jones of the Rangers in the SIM? I kinda like him let’s talk

Helsinki city boy

Jun 2, 2019
Helsinki
Just hate those numbers they gave to Heiskanen, no matter how good the guy is. You just cant pay +7m to the defender or goalie in the salary cap era.

McA will definitely at least match those numbers and if Sweeney makes real idiotic they will be screwed in the upcoming years with the salary cap. Next summer, McA+Bergeron+1st C will cost +20m and year after that Pasta will splash the cash.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I'm going to say he signs at 7.5 for 6 years. He's surrounded by true believers and I get the feeling that he's one himself and will sign for below market value to help the team.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site

gotta be Marchand ?

I know he’s still got some mischievous troublemaker in that mind of his but those of us who have been paying attention to him have to be impressed how he’s evolved, matured ? Or reinvented himself

I would give it straight to McAvoy. Leave the ‘A’ on Marchand

Reactions: DKH

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Just hate those numbers they gave to Heiskanen, no matter how good the guy is. You just cant pay +7m to the defender or goalie in the salary cap era.

McA will definitely at least match those numbers and if Sweeney makes real idiotic they will be screwed in the upcoming years with the salary cap. Next summer, McA+Bergeron+1st C will cost +20m and year after that Pasta will splash the cash.
Doughty got 7 million 10 years ago and it led to 2 Cups. I'm pretty sure you can give 7+ to a D if he's good enough.

Reactions: Bodit9

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

The team that just won back to back Cups is paying $9.5M to their goalie and $7.875 to their #1 defenseman.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Helsinki city boy

Jun 2, 2019
Helsinki
The team that just won back to back Cups is paying $9.5M to their goalie and $7.875 to their #1 defenseman.

If Boston can sit Pasta and Bergeron for whole season then it makes sense. But.

Tampa was in its window and they used it totally (the short season also provided them chance to hustle with cap). They have the best core outside of the the two top lines that makes the difference. Now the core will be broken and they start all over again. They cant compete in the UFA market as long as they pay those amounts to Vasi and Hedman, unless they trade their top assets.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
I'm going to say he signs at 7.5 for 6 years. He's surrounded by true believers and I get the feeling that he's one himself and will sign for below market value to help the team.

I mean there's a big difference being a "true believer" and taking a discount vs giving up almost 30 million extra dollars. He would have to be a complete Kool Aid drinking idiot.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

gotta be Marchand ?

This.

Marchand is the next Captain after Bergy retires.

If Krejci is back, I could see him alternate the A with McAvoy.

If Krejci isn't back, I rotate the A between McAvoy and Gryz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad