Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy VI re-signed, 8 yrs @ 9.5 aav

Status
Not open for further replies.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I’m speaking mostly about Monday but it has been a thing recently. All I’ve seen is gushing in this thread
It is a thing yes, he’s not perfect yet but pretty close. Some of it may be the attention he’s getting from the forecheck. They’re really targeting in on him because he’s really all there is to worry about back there at the moment.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Fox couldn't hold Charlie jock defensively. Hedman is the only player on that list that can.

Adam Fox is the shiny new toy compared to Hedman & McAvoy and Pierre McGuire's repeated slobbering over him on national television probably helped convince more than a few voters that Fox is the best defenseman in the NHL. Which he isn't, not by a long shot. As you say, Fox can't hold Charlie's jock on the defensive side nor Hedman's for that matter.

The Norris has become a joke- it isn't about the best defender anymore, it is about the defenseman who racks up the most points. I've said for a long time now the NHL needs to create a separate award for offensive defensemen & call it the Paul Coffey Award. Leave the Norris for defensemen who actually defend.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Not strong enough defensively. To me the Norris is now awarded to the best offensive defensemen and no longer the best all around defensemen. Hedman should have won it.
That’s fair, but it’s not “a f***ing joke” Fox won. He had a really good season. You want to argue about the award and what it should mean than fine, but you could make a really good argument for any of the three nominated.

I’ve always get there should be an offensive defenseman award for offensive minded guys. Having said though, in Fox’s defense he isn’t atrocious defensively, certainly not as good as Hedman in that regard, but I do think he’s better offensively. It’s all about that balance.

All three guys could’ve won and I wouldn’t have thought it unreasonable

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Fox played a ton of minutes on a team that is good but not terrific. Kid has a ton of tools, I actually think he`s more naturally offensive than McAvoy but ask me who I`d take on draft day between our boy and Fox, it`s Charlie 8 days a week, not so sure he`s as stout defensively as I want to see a Norris trophy go to but I don`t get a vote

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Not strong enough defensively. To me the Norris is now awarded to the best offensive defensemen and no longer the best all around defensemen. Hedman should have won it.

+19
102 blocks
nearly 50/50 deployment
2.2 GA/60
4.1 defensive point shares
2:36 SHTOI/gm, led the Rangers

He had the same d-zone start % as McAvoy, had more blocks, better GA/60, better xGA, more SH time, nearly the same +/- without playing with the Perfection Line and 4.1 DPS to McAvoy's 4.7 DPS

Dont just see the glory numbers and assume Fox is 1 dimensional. He isn't, he is much closer to Doughty than to Karlsson

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
+19
102 blocks
nearly 50/50 deployment
2.2 GA/60

He had the same d-zone start % as McAvoy, had more blocks, better GA/60, better xGA, more SH time, nearly the same +/- without playing with the Perfection Line and 4.1 DPS to McAvoy's 4.7 DPS

Dont just see the glory numbers and assume Fox is 1 dimensional. He isn't, he is much closer to Doughty than to Karlsson

Good post.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

It’s been that way for years. Exactly why Torey Krug was getting Norris trophy votes despite being garbage defensively.

Reactions: BMC

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Adam Fox is the shiny new toy compared to Hedman & McAvoy and Pierre McGuire's repeated slobbering over him on national television probably helped convince more than a few voters that Fox is the best defenseman in the NHL. Which he isn't, not by a long shot. As you say, Fox can't hold Charlie's jock on the defensive side nor Hedman's for that matter.

The Norris has become a joke- it isn't about the best defender anymore, it is about the defenseman who racks up the most points. I've said for a long time now the NHL needs to create a separate award for offensive defensemen & call it the Paul Coffey Award. Leave the Norris for defensemen who actually defend.

Its not about who is the best defenseman in the NHL, its about what defenseman had the best season.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Fox played a ton of minutes on a team that is good but not terrific. Kid has a ton of tools, I actually think he`s more naturally offensive than McAvoy but ask me who I`d take on draft day between our boy and Fox, it`s Charlie 8 days a week, not so sure he`s as stout defensively as I want to see a Norris trophy go to but I don`t get a vote

I was actually surprised to see McAvoy (and Hedman) finish that high in the voting.

Hedman's +5 was actually 5th best of the Tampa defensemen. Points and Rep went a long way.

I agree about McAvoy's defense. I think many are way overrating him at this point. He got caught up ice and out of position more this season than ever before.

McKenzie Weegar in Florida probably deserved to be a Norris finalist.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

Root

Feb 22, 2010
+19
102 blocks
nearly 50/50 deployment
2.2 GA/60

Holy f***, please point to where I said he is one dimensional. Go ahead...

Fox is elite offensively and all around very good. Hedman is elite on both ends of the ice. For me it is that simple. Hedman is the best defensemen and had the best season. I emphasize defense when I look at the best DEFENSEmen...it is crazy but that’s how I view it.

Reactions: BMC and HockeyMomx2

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Fox is elite offensively and all around very good. Hedman is elite on both ends of the ice. For me it is that simple. Hedman is the best defensemen and had the best season. I emphasize defense when I look at the best DEFENSEmen...it is crazy but that’s how I view it.

Hedman didn't have the best season.

Probably should not have been in the top 3.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
It’s been that way for years. Exactly why Torey Krug was getting Norris trophy votes despite being garbage defensively.

Tyson Barrie led all defensemen in scoring this season.

He didn't get a vote.

That was a good thing.

Upon further review: Tyson Barrie is the only defenseman in the history of the Norris trophy to lead all defenseman in scoring and not get a single vote.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I was actually surprised to see McAvoy (and Hedman) finish that high in the voting.

Hedman's +5 was actually 5th best of the Tampa defensemen. Points and Rep went a long way.

I agree about McAvoy's defense. I think many are way overrating him at this point. He got caught up ice and out of position more this season than ever before.

McKenzie Weegar in Florida probably deserved to be a Norris finalist.
really didn`t watch Weegar until the playoffs, really shocked how good he was

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021

I know there’s a dedicated thread to “analytics” here, but the Lightning were statistically better across most, if not all, applicable metrics without Hedman on the ice this season. The ROI on that type of season is typically not worthy of a Norris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad