Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy VI re-signed, 8 yrs @ 9.5 aav

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The team that just won back to back Cups is paying $9.5M to their goalie and $7.875 to their #1 defenseman.
They did dress players making $98 M before Killorn got hurt

if the actual game requirements were 80 M they must subtract 5-6 players form that lineup

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I'm sure McAvoy could probably get $10-11 on the open market, but $9M would put him at an 11% cap hit %, which is around top 5 for defensemen. The guys getting that much had all been Norris finalists when they signed their deals, which McAvoy hasn't yet.

I think you could comp him to Hedman, who was a #1 defenseman when he signed his extension, but hadn't yet broken out into the perennial Norris finalist/end of season all star that he is now. Hedman got 8 years at a 10.8% cap hit %. The same deal at an $81.5M cap would be $8.8M.

There is zero reason McAvoy shouldn't be signed to a deal like that on July 28th when free agency starts and he's eligible for a 2022 extension.

I don't take anyone that is playing right now over him if they are offered straight up in a trade at the same contract and term. Even Makar or Hedman.

I hope McAvoy and Pasternak are extended a year early because there is going to be a large gap between their market value and our best offer. Just don't see how we can 'overpay' for either all things factored in.

If you aren't OK with paying McAvoy and Pasternak 20% of the cap I don't know what to say maybe just trade them for 2-3 inferior players on smaller contracts if cap hit is more important? If you shop them around and don't do a Seguin/Thornton under the table the return will be good.

You can save the money elsewhere see Hall's comments about taking less.

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
Yeah. Both sides should be thrilled with that deal too. McAvoy is worth 10-11 but his teammates all took discounts. 9 per is fair he will win a Norris in the next couple years hes far better than Adam FOx.
I wouldn’t say McAvoy is worth that much (10-11 million) and Fox is offensively better by a mile.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I don't take anyone that is playing right now over him if they are offered straight up in a trade at the same contract and term. Even Makar or Hedman.

I hope McAvoy and Pasternak are extended a year early because there is going to be a large gap between their market value and our best offer. Just don't see how we can 'overpay' for either all things factored in.

If you aren't OK with paying McAvoy and Pasternak 20% of the cap I don't know what to say maybe just trade them for 2-3 inferior players on smaller contracts if cap hit is more important? If you shop them around and don't do a Seguin/Thornton under the table the return will be good.

You can save the money elsewhere see Hall's comments about taking less.

It's probably more like 25% of the cap combined for both of them, which is crazy, but you don't really have a choice either.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
That is awesome.

Any idea why DK isn't asking for a 2-3 year deal?
Lobsters don’t talk - and that’s not a scream I’m told when you drop them in boiling water but air being released or something like that

then again it could be like my uncle with the hottie he always traveled with was JUSzt the house maid according to my parents till they got married and tacked on 2 more kids

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I wouldn’t say McAvoy is worth that much and Fox is offensively better by a mile.

McAvoy will be worth that much if he becomes a fixture on the first PP.

Its one of the reasons we have to sign him this summer because its time to put him into that role permanently. Gryz, Bergy, or DK need to be bumped down.

If I am Charlie McAvoy I am not exactly thrilled that the Bruins haven't given me the same kind of offensive opportunities that Adam Fox has been given by the Rangers. FYI Fox and McAvoy were 1-2 for NCAA scoring by U20 D Men in 2017.

Reactions: inactive user

The Laukomotive

Nov 26, 2017
I hope to see a few Norris trophies in his future, maybe even a Conn Smythe.

He will need to put up points in the PP for that. He is already a top 5 defender 5-on-5 in the league. And he is already beeing acknowledged by the media as a top defender (he finished 5th, behind Fox, Makar, Hedman and Hamilton and ahead of Theodore). But as long as his point totals look just above average he won't get the votes to win . Hedman didn't have a great season, but look what reputation + points total (most from the power play and 3-on-3) did for him...

Now the interesting thing is that when Cassidy changed the power play in the playoffs, with 4 right handed skaters + marchan, suddenly it clicked with McAvoy. He had 11 points in 11 games in the playoffs, 8 from the power play. Remember game 4 against Washington, when he had 3 points? That's just when they changed iirc. If he can keep that going, him being a Norris finalist next season is a slam dunk.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Charlie not winning the Norris might be a blessing in disguise for the Bruins because it only would have driven his price up on his next deal.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
McAvoy will be worth that much if he becomes a fixture on the first PP.

Its one of the reasons we have to sign him this summer because its time to put him into that role permanently. Gryz, Bergy, or DK need to be bumped down.

If I am Charlie McAvoy I am not exactly thrilled that the Bruins haven't given me the same kind of offensive opportunities that Adam Fox has been given by the Rangers. FYI Fox and McAvoy were 1-2 for NCAA scoring by U20 D Men in 2017.
Wow great post
The constant Gryz on that first power play has to drive the McAvoy camp nuts
I know it not intentional but seems like they are holding Charlie back

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Wow great post
The constant Gryz on that first power play has to drive the McAvoy camp nuts
I know it not intentional but seems like they are holding Charlie back

Probably the bruins just realizing the best chance they have to win is McAvoy playing as many penalty kill and even strength minutes as possible while giving him as much rest as possible when it comes to the PP

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
McAvoy must love the news of the Seth Jones extension. If he signed for $9.5 million, then Charlie can rightfully ask for more.
Knowing Charlie he'll take a team discount. I think he loves competing and doesn't want to limit our chances by signing what he's actually worth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alicat

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Kn

Knowing Charlie he'll take a team discount. I think he loves competing and doesn't want to limit our chances by signing what he's actually worth.

Maybe this will be true. But if he gets every cent and he can I'm going to lose my mind when people act like it's some kind of character flaw. Which 100000000% will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad