Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I think that’s a little unfair. He was asked the question and answered it honestly. He didn’t offer excuses. Said it was a rookie mistake and he’s knows it. Appreciates and respects the team leadership calling him out on it and yearns to be that kind of leader.

Sugar coating would have been something like “I had a small issue, it was addressed, it’s over”.

Young players make mistakes. Good young players learn from those mistakes and don’t make them again. As someone else said, it’s likely he’s been been king of the roost up until now. He’s not anymore and it sounds, to me, that he understands that completely.

Neely said he’s a good kid. Neely is nothing but intense. If B’s leadership and management weren’t satisfied with how McAvoy responded I don’t think in a million years the words “Good kid” would have been used when addressing this.

What do I know? But I’d be shocked if this happens again.

I can't access the article. Was this anything more than a few missed meetings?

Does anyone know what Marchand said, or was alleged to have said?

Thanks for any info.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I can't access the article. Was this anything more than a few missed meetings?

Does anyone know what Marchand said, or was alleged to have said?

Thanks for any info.
McAvoy said he was late for team bus after game and for a specials team meeting. Sounds like Marchand called him out and said something like “you’re not a kid anymore, that stuff doesn’t fly in the big leagues”.

McAvoy said it was senior leader on team, and although reticent to acknowledge it was Marchand, did agree it was.

This all came straight from McAvoy. Said he idolizes leaders on this team and endeavors to be like them one day. Also said he was glad to be in a place where this stuff matters and is raised and addressed rather than somewhere where bad behavior flies with no implications.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Bruins say there is no behavioral issue with Charlie McAvoy - The Boston Globe

Noting Saturday night to a Globe reporter that he was guilty of being tardy on two team-related occasions, one for a meeting on special teams and another when boarding the bus after a game, McAvoy confirmed that he was called out on his behavior by senior team leadership and that he now better understands his need to pay closer attention to the details and responsibilities of being a pro.

“I’m a young guy, and trying to adjust and learn all the right things,” a contrite-sounding McAvoy said in an interview during the club’s 2-1 win over the Sabres. “We have the best group in the NHL as far as leaders go — these are guys that I idolize — and my ultimate goal for my career is to grow as a player, to be those guys and take on leadership roles and be the kind of people they are on and off the ice.

Somewhat reluctantly, McAvoy confirmed that it was Marchand, a member of the 2011 Cup-winning team and a veteran of 643 regular-season games, who called him out on his behavior. Sounding earnest, he said he was appreciative of Marchand setting him straight.

“We really addressed it there, the habits that I need to have,” said McAvoy, “as a younger guy on the team and someone who’s growing. He’s really looking out for my future. How I carry myself now will set the standard for how I am for the rest of my career. And for that I couldn’t be more thankful. Versus, say, playing in a market where maybe you’re allowed to get away with certain things . . . and I guess, you know, you don’t reach your full capabilities of being the best leader or best person you can be. I felt much better after the conversation.”
sounds like a real piece of shit

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
McAvoy said he was late for team bus after game and for a specials team meeting. Sounds like Marchand called him out and said something like “you’re not a kid anymore, that stuff doesn’t fly in the big leagues”.

McAvoy said it was senior leader on team, and although reticent to acknowledge it was Marchand, did agree it was.

This all came straight from McAvoy. Said he idolizes leaders on this team and endeavors to be like them one day. Also said he was glad to be in a place where this stuff matters and is raised and addressed rather than somewhere where bad behavior flies with no implications.

Thank you for the summary.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Ahh.

If we’re talking about Marchand then I agree
was talking about Charlie. I say we trade him ASAP before this gets out of hand. :sarcasm:

Marchand's only fault here was bringing it up on the ridealong segment with Haggs, but it was clear Marchand was just busting his chops a little not "calling him out" publicly. Just a stupid thing that got blown way out of proportion.

It's wild to me that fans of this team haven't missed out on enough good years of franchise players and still feels the need to run guys out of town for time to time.

It's not like McAvoy was trying to bang his teammate's wife or anything. Oh wait we don't talk about that here.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
God I hate the talk radio in this town. Please stop chasing our stars out of town before they have a chance to mature. Sounds like pretty regular stuff here.

On the bright side. Hearing about Marchand as a leader makes me happy.

How are they chasing him out of Town? The media wasn't looking for dirt, it was handed to them and they asked the team President a question...

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
God I hate the talk radio in this town. Please stop chasing our stars out of town before they have a chance to mature. Sounds like pretty regular stuff here.

On the bright side. Hearing about Marchand as a leader makes me happy.

Bruins gave the media material on this one, of course they'll report it

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins’ Bruce Cassidy Downplays Charlie McAvoy’s Admitted Tardiness

In Dupont’s piece, McAvoy identified Marchand as the player who called him out on his behavior.“We really addressed it there, the habits that I need to have,” McAvoy said. “As a younger guy on the team and someone who’s growing. He’s really looking out for my future. How I carry myself now will set the standard for how I am for the rest of my career.“And for that I couldn’t be more thankful.”Marchand himself downplayed McAvoy’s issues while speaking to Haggerty on Monday.“Chucky is a great kid and an awesome teammate,” Marchand said. “He’s a very good person, very good teammate and very good kid, and he’s going to be a great hockey player for this team for a long time. But everybody goes through things where you’re coming in as a new guy, and you have to learn the way and the ropes. Things like that happen.“ … It’s not an issue in the room, and it wasn’t really necessary for Kevin Paul DuPont to make it an issue. Chucky is a great teammate and great player for this team, and it’s a non-issue for this room.”

flooredaccord

Apr 30, 2011
Marchand said. “He’s a very good person, very good teammate and very good kid, and he’s going to be a great hockey player for this team for a long time.

He's signing for 8 years!

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Charlie handled it well.

He must not have known if he made a big deal out of it, he could be a Ranger :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad