Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy IV

Discussion in 'Boston Bruins' started by Fenway, Jul 6, 2018.

1. BMC

BMC Per Johan Axelsson Sponsor

Excellent post :nod:

If there is a problem the Bruins & Charlie McAvoy need to get it corrected now. Perhaps if they'd done that with Seguin (maybe they tried I do not know) it might have saved a lot of trouble.

BiGBear8 likes this.
  2. Geordie Bruin

Geordie Bruin Registered User

When McAvoy comes back into the line up, who sits?

Would be incredibly harsh but I think Gryz will be the 7th man.

Maybe have Miller and Gryz on rotation? Give Zee the night off every now and then?

bbruins3 likes this.
  3. Number8

Number8 Registered User Sponsor

I disagree.

1) Close enough relationship where that can be said in the right setting? Perhaps. What that the right setting? Absolutely not.

2) "Players of all sports", maybe. JJ ain't a player -- he's the big boss that had FAR more to do with the Bruins not winning Cups during that era than Cam Neely did.

If they have such a close relationship, you think if Cam had fired back "hey, if you weren't so miserly back in those days before you saw attendance drop like a rock, maybe we'd have a few more Stanley Cup rings around here. He He." that that would have been ok? Them being such close locker room jokester buddies and all?

barstool, Bergyesque and Chief Nine like this.
  4. BlackBerry

BlackBerry Registered User

Gotta be honest, im not sure why youre offended when Cam clesrly wasnt. Its not your job to judge if that was the right setting. You werent involved.

5. Number8

:laugh: How the hell do you know if Neely was offended or not? If you have personal knowledge, then do tell. :laugh:

As far as it not being my job, I'll have you know I get paid to post on this site. Big time, big money. 401K, vacation, health benefits, the whole works. So just keep out of my way and let me do my damn job.

Oh, and get the apostrophe button on your keyboard looked at. I think there might be an issue there.

6. BlackBerry

BlackBerry Registered User

Ugh.

A statement enclosed by laughs to try and elevate yourself while putting me down. You really got me with the apostrophe comment though. I must be reaaaaalllly stooopid cuz i dont uze a-pot-strafezes. Sigh.

Youre asking me to prove to you Cam Neely wasnt upset. What?....... What? Hes still with the team, no? No statement has ever been made..... right? No other mention of it from anyone since 2011. Why dont you go and prove to me that he was upset?! :laugh:

To summarize:

Youre mad.... that a man.... said another man never won the stanley cup..... in 2011..... and it wasnt the right setting to make that statement.

.......... what........

7. GoBs

GoBs Registered User

OMG the kid just turned 21

8. DarrenBanks56

DarrenBanks56 Registered User

Im gonna have to say Cam was probably a bit pissed off. It was a dick thing to say. Especially to a guy that put it all he had on the ice.

9. BobbyAwe

BobbyAwe Registered User

machine operator
    There is one sure way to get Charlie off injured reserve and into all-star shape - TRADE him. Always seems to work for Bruin's players who are not living up to their potential? (sarcasm alert :rolleyes:)

Really though, if hockey players being generally superstitious gives me a right, as a fan, to be also, I'm already worried he's snake bit career-wise. Can't help it :(

10. GloryDaze4877

GloryDaze4877 Barely Irrelevant

What does him being 21 have to do with someone not liking certain facets of his game. Some players never change parts of their game from the time they enter the league until the time they leave.

11. The don godfather

The don godfather Registered User

It's a shame he is out again he was putting up points in a regular pattern. Love this kid.

12. JRull86

JRull86 Registered User

I've said that Moore, Miller, and Gryz will all rotate.

13. Bruinfanatic

Bruinfanatic Registered User

The D never stays healthy long enough to worry about it.

JOKER 192, Geordie Bruin and BMC like this.
  14. Number8

OK, you and I have had a misunderstanding. Please allow me to try and clarify....

I did say it was a bush league move by Jacobs to make a joke at Neely's expense in that setting. Since it was just an opinion, I really didn't think there was any need to provide factual basis for that statement. I fairness I cannot determine beyond a reasonable doubt that it was a bush league move.

Now, in my defense, an opinion can sometimes sound a lot like a fact (stay with me here...... this next bit can be very confusing, I know). But trust me they really are not one and the same -- although sometimes an opinion can, in the opinion of someone else, be deemed "right". I think that situation is called an opinion squared or more commonly "yeah, i agree with that guy" but please don't quote me on this as I'm no expert.

Anyway, I digress. I think the key takeaway is that opinions and facts are two different things -- if you can hang onto that, this whole mess that you and I find ourselves in will make much more sense.

Now .......for some reason you got fired up about my opinion.......and kindly informed me that it was not my "job" to criticise Jacobs. Now I appreciate this, because I thought I was going to get a regular paycheck just for sharing my opinions on a fan board. I was wrong, you were right, and now I understand that I actually don't have a job. I'm very disappointed by that -- my wife will be quite miffed at me, and my financial advisor is going to be very frustrated as we had developed extensive plans for investing my earnings. This really has been a very bad day for me. I wonder ...... was I fired or was I never hired?..... and does that have any implications for possible unemployment benefits?

Regardless, when I said if you had inside scoop on Neely's feelings "do tell" I didn't mean that as a challenge. Rather is was just a natural (I think) reaction to your confidently dismissing my opinion over what, to me, seemed a classless joke. Forgive me, I assumed you knew more than I did and would be happy to share. I now know you know **** about it -- and that's my fault for assuming you knew **** about anything. I should be better and I will be better. I promise.

Still no harm no foul. I think after careful reflection I have it all figured out here. At the end of the day what's happened here is that you and I both have opinions on a particular issue. Fortunately for me it turns out yours is crap, and mine is on target -- which is great, but I'm still out of what I thought was a cool job so there's that.

15. GoBs

GoBs Registered User

War and peace

16. GoBs

GoBs Registered User

I am almost certain your friend as a 19 year old didn’t play for BU, USA World Jr and t he Bruins for a playoff series
    McAvoy forgot more than you fictitious friend
    By the way what were you doing a 21?

Let’s get rid of Charli e McAvoy because some mite coach sees issues in his game

charliesangel likes this.
  17. LouJersey

LouJersey Al<3xxx

Mr. Lindsey Pelas
    Ah the old he’s only 21 excuse ...never gets old.

Glorydaze was just providing a different opinion on him and you know what??? I know plenty of non Bruins fans/ bruins fans that see holes in his game, but God forbid he’s criticized. His best hockey ever was spring of 2017, so some criticism is warranted IMO.

18. GloryDaze4877

GloryDaze4877 Barely Irrelevant

Dude, what the **** is your problem?

Fictitious friend? What are you Charlie’s ****ing girlfriend?

My friend is actually in his mid 40’s and I never said that he was a superstar, just that he has a good grasp of the game. He’s a pretty good coach at the U15 and U18 levels if you have to know.

Not that that matters because apparently in your world, you can only comment on a player if you are an NHL level player yourself. Which is odd because there are actually a lot of good, high level coaches that never played hockey at a high level.

I thought it was obvious (and went without saying) that when you are discussing NHL level players, you talk about their problems at the NHL level against other skilled NHL players. If you were to put McAvoy into a D3 college game, of course you would not be able to see any issues and he would dominate everyone else.

At the NHL level, there are certain aspects of McAvoy’s game that my friend doesn’t like. I would say that he’s more knowledgeable than the average fan, but even if he wasn’t, he’s welcome to his opinion. If you had any sort of reading comprehension, you would have noticed that I said I disagree with him about McAvoy and we go back and forth about it, which is what fans do.

Why don’t you grow the **** up?

Spooner st likes this.
  19. Gee Wally

Gee Wally Grumpy

Awards:
    Bruins say there is no behavioral issue with Charlie McAvoy - The Boston Globe

Noting Saturday night to a Globe reporter that he was guilty of being tardy on two team-related occasions, one for a meeting on special teams and another when boarding the bus after a game, McAvoy confirmed that he was called out on his behavior by senior team leadership and that he now better understands his need to pay closer attention to the details and responsibilities of being a pro.

“I’m a young guy, and trying to adjust and learn all the right things,” a contrite-sounding McAvoy said in an interview during the club’s 2-1 win over the Sabres. “We have the best group in the NHL as far as leaders go — these are guys that I idolize — and my ultimate goal for my career is to grow as a player, to be those guys and take on leadership roles and be the kind of people they are on and off the ice.

Somewhat reluctantly, McAvoy confirmed that it was Marchand, a member of the 2011 Cup-winning team and a veteran of 643 regular-season games, who called him out on his behavior. Sounding earnest, he said he was appreciative of Marchand setting him straight.

“We really addressed it there, the habits that I need to have,” said McAvoy, “as a younger guy on the team and someone who’s growing. He’s really looking out for my future. How I carry myself now will set the standard for how I am for the rest of my career. And for that I couldn’t be more thankful. Versus, say, playing in a market where maybe you’re allowed to get away with certain things . . . and I guess, you know, you don’t reach your full capabilities of being the best leader or best person you can be. I felt much better after the conversation.”

20. Dr Hook

Dr Hook Grz-tastic Sponsor

History Professor
    A lot of ado about nothing here after reading that article. I have worked with a number of student-athletes over the years on the student side, and what McAvoy is doing is pretty normal even if it isn't great. You have these kids, and Charlie is a college age kid, who their whole lives they have been treated differently as outstanding athletes. They have been coddled to some extent, told how good they are, and wherever they've come from, they've been the star, or one of the stars in their small galaxies. They get to college, or the pros, and they are still talented, but just one of a number of generally equally talented peers and they find out they have to work harder, act with self-discipline, etc. It's a transition time. Many of them don't make it, but many do and he is just having the common experience here. Given that he is reached the pinnacle of the NHL and is standout talent even among the elite of elite, I can imagine he will pull it together pretty quickly, particularly with the leadership group that he is accountable to in the room.

veganbruin, StrBender and Chief Nine like this.
  21. TCB

TCB Registered User

HABHATER
    This is all nice and sweet and pretty sugar coated. Time well tell and actions speaks louder than words.

Charlie stating “I’m a young guy, and trying to adjust and learn all the right things,” he better understands his need to pay closer attention to the details and responsibilities of being a pro.

Charlie should know by now that the "right thing" is not to be tardy for practices/meetings. So I really wonder about the sincerity of his statement because most grade school kids realize this. It seems more like a scripted statement, than anything too me.

Anyways I just want him to get healthy, stay healthy, and stay a Bruin!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  22. KnightofBoston

KnightofBoston Charlie MackTruck

Science Education
    Makes sense Marchand called him out, he saw how he and seguin were back in the day and he lost his buddy and team mate to all that. Now he’s the grizzled vet that doesn’t want it to happen to Charlie, so he’s speaking up before it even becomes worrisome

veganbruin and RussellmaniaKW like this.
  23. Gee Wally

Gee Wally Grumpy

Awards:
    I have zero concerns with this one. Message needed. Message sent. Message received.

24. KrejciMVP

KrejciMVP Registered User

Feel bad for him he had to even make a statement. Keep this stuff in house

charliesangel likes this.
  25. Number8

I think that’s a little unfair. He was asked the question and answered it honestly. He didn’t offer excuses. Said it was a rookie mistake and he’s knows it. Appreciates and respects the team leadership calling him out on it and yearns to be that kind of leader.

Sugar coating would have been something like “I had a small issue, it was addressed, it’s over”.

Young players make mistakes. Good young players learn from those mistakes and don’t make them again. As someone else said, it’s likely he’s been been king of the roost up until now. He’s not anymore and it sounds, to me, that he understands that completely.

Neely said he’s a good kid. Neely is nothing but intense. If B’s leadership and management weren’t satisfied with how McAvoy responded I don’t think in a million years the words “Good kid” would have been used when addressing this.

What do I know? But I’d be shocked if this happens again.

Dr Hook and Chief Nine like this.