Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Mostly correct... except, if you were here at the time when Seguin overslept in WPG.... guess what: Everyone was saying the same thing you are now. It "wasn't a problem".... until it was a problem.

This isn't the end of the world, but it's certainly not a good thing either.

Oh, and you owe it to your employer to be on time.

I agree with some of this, but I also think that each situation needs to be handled individually, and this is different from Seguin in a few ways.

If Seguin was an iceberg, and you believe even some of the rumors, the being late for practice was only the stuff we could see. All the rest was hidden below the surface.

With McAvoy, there are no other rumors, we are not seeing him shirtless at bars, and he appears to lead a fairly quiet lifestyle.

You are correct that he owes it to his employer to be on time. He is 21 and makes more in one year playing a kid’s game than I make in 10+ years, and is on the cusp of making a lot more than that. At this point, it’s a young guy needing to be more punctual. Hopefully that’s all it is.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The kid has potential #1 defenseman ability within him.

They'd better ****ing not trade him. That's all I'm gonna say. THey have other good kids coming up through the pipeline, but Charlie's the most promising one so far, outside of Carlo, and he's better rounded than Carlo so far

I have a buddy (his son plays hockey and lax with mine) that is a very astute hockey guy. Played when he was younger, coaches, raised two very sound, team oriented players that are skilled as well, and has a real grasp for the game.

And he doesn’t like McAvoy at all. He and I go back and forth about it all the time :laugh:

He thinks that he has some bad habits and is not overly impressed with his defensive play. Last night I was telling him about the latest stuff and the NY/Quinn rumor and he said he wouldn’t mind them trading McAvoy at all and that they could probably get a haul for him.

Not saying I agree, just throwing a different POV out there.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
If you've heard him talk in a non post game interview you can kind of tell he's a bit of a meathead. Some kid's who've been driven up the pipeline with their hands held need some time to figure it out on their own. There's no issue here unless it keeps happening. Like Cam said he's a nice kid and wants to be good and will figure it out.

I think speaking about it publicly means the B's think he'll get the hint real quick. If they were trying to hide it then I'd be more worried.

I'm more worried about his health and concussions/heart.

Last edited:

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
not concerned about the gossip about late practice or anybodies analogies or personal experiences rationalizing them.

In the end his durability and production is the main concern going into RFA status. He's only played 80 career games and his top season is 32 points, while other RFA's like Kessel for example played 250 before going to RFA. Bruins have leverage here and I expect them to get him at a good price. I don't see him worth more than what Krug is getting right now.

Last edited:

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
His stock is down that's for sureWhen I said recently I was worried about this guy being an injury magnet ...some said why you worried? How?? Etc..etc..
Well looks like the concern is now widespread to the point that it will reflect in his next contract
I for one am getting fed up of seeing him on the sidelines

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Any word on the cut on his foot that is keeping him out?

As far as his contract goes, IF Charlie were to play the rest of this season starting tonight, he will have 122 career games to reference for his salary negotiations. Over 2 seasons, that seems like enough but unfortunately for him I think this season weighs more than last. I hope he is able to finish out the season with 40 games straight. Then I would feel more comfortable with a long term deal at decent value. If the season continues like it has been going, IMO it looks more and more like a likely bridge deal.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
That rude azz Felger also directly asked Jacobs.... in the past you were on the frugal side (along these lines)....

It was awkward

Its no wonder Felger and Mazz get no interview time with players, coaches etc.

I don't think that's rude at all. If he told Jacobs well you've been a cheap SOB all your life well yes, that's rude. Doesn't matter if it is awkward for the person being interviewed to answer-hard questions should be asked.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
His stock is down that's for sureWhen I said recently I was worried about this guy being an injury magnet ...some said why you worried? How?? Etc..etc..
Well looks like the concern is now widespread to the point that it will reflect in his next contract

Hey, if it gets us a great contract...

Prince Pasta

ANTHONY!
Aug 20, 2006
The Granite Town in The Granite State
Any word on the cut on his foot that is keeping him out?

As far as his contract goes, IF Charlie were to play the rest of this season starting tonight, he will have 122 career games to reference for his salary negotiations. Over 2 seasons, that seems like enough but unfortunately for him I think this season weighs more than last. I hope he is able to finish out the season with 40 games straight. Then I would feel more comfortable with a long term deal at decent value. If the season continues like it has been going, IMO it looks more and more like a likely bridge deal.

Is that what it is? figured there was swelling that was keeping him from getting in his skates otherwise they would have just said it was a broken bone by now.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
If you've heard him talk in a non post game interview you can kind of tell he's a bit of a meathead. Some kid's who've been driven up the pipeline with their hands held need some time to figure it out on their own. There's no issue here unless it keeps happening. Like Cam said he's a nice kid and wants to be good and will figure it out.

I think speaking about it publicly means the B's think he'll get the hint real quick. If they were trying to hide it then I'd be more worried.

I'm more worried about his health and concussions/heart.

Same here. I was trying to think of the words to describe my wariness but, as usual, short and to the point is best.

Reactions: BMC

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

I would love to see him playing more as well but the heart issue was scary for him I bet and out of his hands.And a blocked shot getting him is fluky.If these injuries were like hamstrings etc I would be really concerned .That said though I cannot see him getting a massive contract because the numbers are not there.Been wrong b4 though.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Is that what it is? figured there was swelling that was keeping him from getting in his skates otherwise they would have just said it was a broken bone by now.

I read it was a cut that they wanted to prevent from getting infected in one of the threads here. Whether that is accurate, not sure.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I read it was a cut that they wanted to prevent from getting infected in one of the threads here. Whether that is accurate, not sure.
Per Billy Jaffe on 98.5 on the Winter Classic pregame show.

Said a puck cut him and they are being cautious as to avoid an infection like what happened to Dan Girardi last year in Tampa

Reactions: compan

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
That rude azz Felger also directly asked Jacobs.... in the past you were on the frugal side (along these lines)....

It was awkward

Its no wonder Felger and Mazz get no interview time with players, coaches etc.

jacobs is an ass. i'll never forget how he embarrassed cam with a comment about him never winning a Cup as a player at the 2011 ceremony
The guy is a dick.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
jacobs is an ass. i'll never forget how he embarrassed cam with a comment about him never winning a Cup as a player at the 2011 ceremony
The guy is a dick.

I think that was a joke

Jacobs have treated Cam well... giving him title of president

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I agree with some of this, but I also think that each situation needs to be handled individually, and this is different from Seguin in a few ways.

If Seguin was an iceberg, and you believe even some of the rumors, the being late for practice was only the stuff we could see. All the rest was hidden below the surface.

With McAvoy, there are no other rumors, we are not seeing him shirtless at bars, and he appears to lead a fairly quiet lifestyle.

You are correct that he owes it to his employer to be on time. He is 21 and makes more in one year playing a kid’s game than I make in 10+ years, and is on the cusp of making a lot more than that. At this point, it’s a young guy needing to be more punctual. Hopefully that’s all it is.

The point was, at the time of the Seguin late for practice stuff, there were NO other rumors. Even months later, when in fact he was burning the candle from all ends and sections, there were some saying what a great professional he was (you might be surprised about who those posters were ;)).

Do I think McAvoy has a huge issue? Nope. But I didn't think Seguin did at the WPG time either. But I did think it was AN issue, and so is this. Being late isn't good. It is indicative a problem. It is what happens now and going forward that either fixes the problem or doesn't that becomes the main issue.

And the "If I was a young kid making money, I'd be...... " was EXACTLY the same lines being used about Seguin at the time as well. I remember those words quite well. It doesn't matter what you, or I or anyone else would do. It matters what the actual player, actually does.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
When CM73's camp asks for 8.5 million over ten years all this will come up. Nylander got a 40 million dollar deal after a protracted hold out for having two 20 goals seasons. 20 goals! Nylander can't carry McAvoys dirty socks folks.

Calm before the storm.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I think that was a joke

Jacobs have treated Cam well... giving him title of president
If it was a joke, it was lame.

Few, outside of TO24, showed as much heart and passion on ice as a Bruin. Bruins didn’t win a Cup with Cam in the lineup but that had zero to do with Neely. A lot to do with that POS Ulf Samuelson.

Reactions: rocketdan9

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The point was, at the time of the Seguin late for practice stuff, there were NO other rumors. Even months later, when in fact he was burning the candle from all ends and sections, there were some saying what a great professional he was (you might be surprised about who those posters were ;)).

Do I think McAvoy has a huge issue? Nope. But I didn't think Seguin did at the WPG time either. But I did think it was AN issue, and so is this. Being late isn't good. It is indicative a problem. It is what happens now and going forward that either fixes the problem or doesn't that becomes the main issue.

And the "If I was a young kid making money, I'd be...... " was EXACTLY the same lines being used about Seguin at the time as well. I remember those words quite well. It doesn't matter what you, or I or anyone else would do. It matters what the actual player, actually does.
I agree, but judging on what I’ve seen of CM, I don’t think that will be an issue moving forward. No insider info at all, just an opinion of this fan. I think we’ll not hear of this sort of thing again with him.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Can’t disagree with any of this.

If he was late for practice(s), it’s not a good thing, no matter how you slice it. He needs to correct it now.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
I am not concerned about McAvoy’d maturity or willingness to stay in Boston etc, I am however very concerned about his inability to stay healthy. The boy is brittle.

Reactions: Marcobruin

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017

Few, outside of TO24, showed as much heart and passion on ice as a Bruin. Bruins didn’t win a Cup with Cam in the lineup but that had zero to do with Neely. A lot to do with that POS Ulf Samuelson.
Eh. Well, im pretty sure the 2 have a close enough relationship where that can be said. I doubt Cam has cashed many checks in his life not signed by Jacobs.

Players of all sports joke about this all the time. Not a big deal

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

The rest to do with JJ & Harry Sinden :rant:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->