Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Thornton got 1 game suspension vs Vegas for a similar hit but he had prior suspensions

McAvoy has none I really think he may get off with just a warning

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
pretty good chance he gets a game IMO. And I get it.

I’m trying to look at all of these plays objectively. People always come up with examples from the past that they think favor their situation to justify more or less games. Looking at this on its own, it seems justified that he gets a game.

I really don’t like it, but the awesome truth is...we have the defensive depth to survive it for a game.

It was compared last night to the hit Doughty laid in last year's playoffs vs. Vegas that got him a 1-game suspension and they were pretty similar IMO.

I don't think it's deserved (didn't think Doughty's was either) but he'll probably get 1 game unfortunately.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Thornton got 1 game suspension vs Vegas for a similar hit but he had prior suspensions

McAvoy has none I really think he may get off with just a warning

not so sure about that, think he gets a game. If this were a Bruin lying on the ice many if not most here (count me as one) wouldn`t be referring to it as Charlie did being a hockey hit.

I can`t come on here when we`ve seen Bruins lying on the ice and demanding a suspension then change my tune when the jersey`s are different, he came across the ice, player not in a position to protect himself and made contact to the head, pretty simple to me as much as I hate to say it, I`ll be shocked if we see Charlie in game 1 vs the Canes

markwart

Jan 27, 2006
Guys come on. He got him straight in the jaw. Left the ice. I don't think he intended to hit him there but he did. If that was on any of our players we would be pissed. Gotta cut this **** out of league - we don't need any more walking vegetables.

Fortunately Charlie isn't a repeat offender, Anderson is fine and it didn't seem intentional. It'll probably just be one game. But he deserves a game. NHL Player Safety's questionable decisions in the past don't excuse him.
So what do you think the elbow to Backes head should've gotten?

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
not so sure about that, think he gets a game. If this were a Bruin lying on the ice many if not most here (count me as one) wouldn`t be referring to it as Charlie did being a hockey hit.

I can`t come on here when we`ve seen Bruins lying on the ice and demanding a suspension then change my tune when the jersey`s are different, he came across the ice, player not in a position to protect himself and made contact to the head, pretty simple to me as much as I hate to say it, I`ll be shocked if we see Charlie in game 1 vs the Canes

these hit are bang bang plays and its a close game where Charlie is looking to make a defensive play. At a game with such high speeds and split second decision it's impossible to get rid of incidental contact plays with no intent. It was certainly a penalty but intent to injure especially during the playoffs should be taken into consideration.

The Marchand punch to the back of the head made me angry. This play didn't have any malice

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Yeah people can come up with all the theories they want. About how “the media succeeds” in Charlie getting a hearing. Or how the NHL as a whole “hates Boston”.

But it is a pretty easy 1 game suspension, IMO. Even if it is unintentional, it’s a hit to the head and he elevates into it. Player had no chance to defend himself (he was partially engaged with another player).

It’s really not all that complicated and all the extra “outrage” that people are tossing around is just producing more emotion over a basic play. If you want to make it a soap opera (not unusual in these situations on HF), go ahead, but the situation itself is a 1 game suspension to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->